Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making invasions Great Again  (Read 1210 times)

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making invasions Great Again
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:13:25 am »

So i remember in the .30 version. Sieges were common. I could make squads train knowing they would face a invasion. They would fight gloriously and die for their fellow dwarfs. Now in this new version with Roaming armies. Even after cheating to have 100 dwarfs. be REALLY wealthy. I still do not get invasions. I edited all civs with this  Basically the goblins, kobolds, dwarves all have that. RIGHT under the entity line. Is there any other known ways to make Sieges more common? It was honestly my favorite part of the game knowing i had to prepare for the assault from jealous goblins. Now i tend to get bored and just quit forts. and the HFS is not the same as you can never win that battle.  Please has anyone compiled a list of things to edit so we can have sieges be more common and deadly like they use to be?
[ENTITY:FOREST]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:8]

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Making invasions Great Again
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 01:16:20 am »

Discipline has nothing to do with making armies march. Also, you've never beaten the HFS? How do you approach the fight?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:23:40 am »

Dig deep. Send men to fight them. They all die from whoever has webbing combined with a syndrome.

I just really want my sieges back. Or is going back to .30 really the only way?

Marcus Aurelius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:50 am »

Surely wouldn't building in evil area(s) give rise to more assaults?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 01:56:00 am »

Dig deep. Send men to fight them. They all die from whoever has webbing combined with a syndrome.

I just really want my sieges back. Or is going back to .30 really the only way?

Try exploring other parts of fortress mode, such as fighting forgotten beasts, loosing a captured werebeast on traders, and the individual dwarves to an extent. These should keep you entertained until a siege comes.

Another pass time is developing better strategies when it comes to combat.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:06:44 am »

I dont know, Traps are to easy. I even installed stalhs armory mod. And im itching to fight. I just find it odd its more common to come across rare animals FB than sieges. And i am embarking right next to multiple civilizations.  Is there a file i can mod to make goblins breed  a lot?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:58:54 am »

I meant more along the lines of setting up halls with ballistae, sticking captured hydrae and colossi in a room for them to have to get through, giving your entire population a basic uniform with a metal breastplate and the rest leather, as well as an axe or sword and wooden shield. Something other than just boringly tossing 10-20 dwarves and hoping for the best. Combat on that basic of a level is pretty boring.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:57:37 pm »

Try Fortress Defense.  I've had about 2000+ siegers and ambushers in my 10 year old fort by adding 8 of the races or so.  FD only adds new invader races, the rest of the game remains unchanged.  You may have to world-gen scum some to get the races you want (the more you add/smaller the map the more likely you'll have some failed civs).
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 04:14:55 am »

So i remember in the .30 version. Sieges were common. I could make squads train knowing they would face a invasion. They would fight gloriously and die for their fellow dwarfs. Now in this new version with Roaming armies. Even after cheating to have 100 dwarfs. be REALLY wealthy. I still do not get invasions. I edited all civs with this  Basically the goblins, kobolds, dwarves all have that. RIGHT under the entity line. Is there any other known ways to make Sieges more common? It was honestly my favorite part of the game knowing i had to prepare for the assault from jealous goblins. Now i tend to get bored and just quit forts. and the HFS is not the same as you can never win that battle.  Please has anyone compiled a list of things to edit so we can have sieges be more common and deadly like they use to be?
[ENTITY:FOREST]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:8]

As others said, mod in more races! I for one am testing out adding more races to my current mod,as I want my troglodyte fortresses to have more... how should I put it... pressure, on them.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:20:21 pm »

Try Fortress Defense.  I've had about 2000+ siegers and ambushers in my 10 year old fort by adding 8 of the races or so.  FD only adds new invader races, the rest of the game remains unchanged.  You may have to world-gen scum some to get the races you want (the more you add/smaller the map the more likely you'll have some failed civs).

DId this

as well as this guy

[/quote]

As others said, mod in more races! I for one am testing out adding more races to my current mod,as I want my troglodyte fortresses to have more... how should I put it... pressure, on them.
[/quote]

I don't know if it will help anyone. But  i specifically wanted to kill goblins haha i don't know. i remember the pain they gave me so i like to return it.  i found this mod http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11083 And it is GREAT! it just adds duplicate Goblin files. And i also use LEGENDS viewer now. SO i can see which goblin civilization has the most population. ANd im now seeing dark fortressers with 1000 goblins and trolls. So im really happy. just  set up my fort to be next to one :)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:58:28 am »

An easy way to add (pseudo) invaders is make creatures with curious guzzler and and curious eater, which appear in huge numbers. They'll certainly try their best to get into your fort. Adding trapavoid, canopendoors or buildestroyer helps too ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 04:15:06 pm »

Yeah, just duplicating the goblin entity is the trick. Since entities (race/culture I guess) is separate to creature types, the same creature can be used for as many types of civ as you want.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:18:20 pm by Reelya »