Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?  (Read 15009 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 01:11:28 pm »

Because having your wife/husband and son killed/stolen from you isn't a reason enough to save them.

We needed a dam to fight over and fallout 4's story would've been fantastic :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »

Because having your wife/husband and son killed/stolen from you isn't a reason enough to save them.
I carried the wife's wedding ring with me right up to the end. :(

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2017, 01:22:51 pm »

And nobody ever comments on it...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2017, 01:32:02 pm »

Xenosaga II and III.

There were several real issues with these sequels, but my biggest gripe was the aesthetic changes. They completely rebuilt the character models in each game, until I barely recognized anyone. The style of the first game was perfect imo.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2017, 01:33:33 pm »

And no one talks about the platinum chip after it gets used for Mr House's death robot army.

Plus, how would they know? A ring is tiny and fits inside pockets. If they're only carrying it to remember their spouse, why would they go around flaunting 'I HAVE MY DEAD HUSBAND/WIFE'S RING IN MY POCKET PLEASE CONSOLE ME.'

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:25 pm »

I assumed it was because I told people to fuck off any time they mentioned my reason for being there, my wife, or anything else about my past

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »

Honestly, my first playthrough ended with me telling Shaun to go fuck off, I don't believe you. Hell, I told him that and all he said was 'i've done everything i can.' Like. you can't do a paternity/maternity test? Isn't that part of the whole FUTURE TECHNOLOGY thing? I mean. If my character saw the results infront of their eyes, they'd have relented on their not believing-ness.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2017, 01:56:32 pm »

We needed a dam to fight over and fallout 4's story would've been fantastic :P
The dam battle was a terrible rendition of what was supposed to be an epic battle and a grand finale to New Vegas. Sadly the limitations of the engine and just kinda bad design of the actual levels of it and encounters within it made it annoying as fuck. At least in the end you got to either talk down the opposing leader or just kill them and then kill the other one too because why the fuck not I guess.

But the reason why it's still kind of great is because all the things you worked for within the game do make an appearance. Boomers do a bombing run, the Enclave/BoS assist you, the Khans are either present on one of the sides or are gone, the securitrons make an appearance. It's a great capping off point that reflects the choices you've made through your play-through.

Speaking of which, that's why the ending slides aren't just a random thing that is plopped at the end of NV because the fans wanted it/tradition, it's a great (the best actually if budget and code issues are of any concern. If they aren't the best is to actively represent those choices within the game world) way of wrapping up an open world RPG game with lots of different choices and ways of going through the story. It tells you what happened to the people you've met, the places you visited and a bit of the fate of the world at large. It wraps up your play-through neatly and gives you some down time to reflect upon the adventure you had and a feeling of satisfaction at a life well lived a game well played and furthermore, it makes you wonder how different choices would be reflected, if at all.

Witcher 3 did it as well, as did STALKER: Call Of Pripyat. And both of those games were better off for it.

And no one talks about the platinum chip after it gets used for Mr House's death robot army.
It has served its purpose and as such has no more use. Plus, the only people that know of it are you, Mr House, Benny and Yes Man. Also the courier company manager, but he has no idea of its true purpose so talking to him about it is pointless. Benny and Yes Man similarly have no real clue of how it actually works apart from "it activates the hidden securitron army and upgrades the existing securitrons".

The ring in Fallout 4 is a band of metal with scant real value apart from sentimental and I see no scenario in which someone might bring it up except a few highly specific situations for which the game wouldn't be any better or worse off. Fallout 4 has its fair share of writing problems. "Nobody notices your wedding ring" isn't one of them.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2017, 02:00:45 pm »

My point was, is that only those who know about it mention it.

The wedding ring not being mentioned, as you said, isn't a problem. It was brought up, I made a statement.

@Ending slides.

I feel like it's a boring way to wrap the game up. I don't need to know how bum-fuck-ville i start out in turns out because i sided with people. It's just there to appeal to old fans, as you mention. I'm not saying 4's is better, but still. I don't know how to end an open world RPG, but the slides feel weird. Maybe if NV didn't end with that and let you see the effects instead of being told, it'd work better.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2017, 02:15:05 pm »

EDIT: @Iceblaster, Since when does Bay12 care about graphics? The Graphics are interesting even if they are bad, which is more than I can say for Skyrim with it's grey af overtones. You got to Balmorra? You didn't even PLAY Morrowind, and you're over here criticizing it. There's a reason a lot of people call it one of the best RPGs ever. You missed almost all the fun and weird environments--I'll admit, it's open is the most boring of the main series, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.
lol "YOURE ON B12 YOURE NOT ALLOWED TO CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS"

morrowind's graphics have not aged well, at all.

if a game can't hold my interest long enough to be fun, that's not my fault, that's the game's fault.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2017, 02:18:14 pm »

Honestly, I didn't even see that edit because I didn't check.

I pretty much hold the same opinion as Miauw. I acknowledge it's a great game. I just can't put myself into the mindset of someone when the game came out. I can't make myself slog through something until it gets to a point where it's fun. Same reasons I can't get into other games. I am not criticizing it as if I played over one thousand hours. I am stating my experience and what I think of it. Is that wrong, being that I didn't play multiple hours of what I thought was either boring or meh gameplay? Because I'm not wasting time on a game I didn't really like the first hour of.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »

I feel like it's a boring way to wrap the game up. I don't need to know how bum-fuck-ville i start out in turns out because i sided with people. It's just there to appeal to old fans, as you mention. I'm not saying 4's is better, but still. I don't know how to end an open world RPG, but the slides feel weird. Maybe if NV didn't end with that and let you see the effects instead of being told, it'd work better.

I disagree.

Seeing the effects you had requires writing, coding and asset production. All of those things cost stupid amounts of money. You'd nearly have to remake much of the world, place new assets, move old ones around and do significant reworking of the worldspace for the sole purpose of ending the game properly. it is the ideal way to wrap up an open world game, that is certain, however an ending slideshow is miles cheaper (given how it requires very limited asset production, and while voicework is expensive, it is still miles cheaper than restructuring an entire game for post-credits messabouts. Plus you already have all the quest variables stored somewhere in the gamefiles, so coding up a slideshow based on them isn't exactly difficult). Hence why I said it is the best way of wrapping up an open world, choice-driven RPG for anyone with budgetary concerns. Unfortunately those always apply. (Witcher 3 is no exception to this as it too ends with ending slides).

If you're not interested in the ending slides, you can skip them. Having them in has absolutely no impact on your game if you do not care for what happened to the places you saw and the people you met. People who do care however will appreciate them.

And like I said, the ending slideshow isn't just in there for the fans because Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are not the only open world RPGs ever made to feature them (although they are rare). I have mentioned STALKER: Call of Pripyat and Witcher 3, but there's also Pillars of Eternity, Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura and so on and so forth. Many open world RPGs tend to end with an equivalent of a slideshow because of the reasons I outlined in my previous post. It is just an effective way of wrapping up your adventure and most people tend to appreciate a look back on their journey and see how their choices have impacted the world.

And if you don't, feel free to skip them. But know that if possible, game makers would always choose to show player choices within the world of the game itself and that an ending slideshow is a compromise. And given the alternatives (endings that only gloss over your choices or just bypass them all together) are all equally unsatisfying and strangely abrupt, I believe it is the best possible choice.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »

Alright. Sorry if I sounded hostile. Hoooonestly, this entire time I've been trying to keep the implied tone civil. Honestly, I still do think showing the results in the world if it lets you continue after the end is better, but I can see your points.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:11 pm »

Not a fan of the Bethesda fallout games.  I could barely play 3 cause it was so buggy it crashed every few minutes.  There's this thing I hate about all games like this that nobody else ever seems to mention, games that blend FPS and RPG.  Fallout games have it by far the worst.  They always shackle the FPS element to the RPG element making it completely unsatisfying.  The shooting in Fallout is clunky, ugly, the guns don't have the proper weight to them, and the HP element takes all the fun and dynamism out of it. I would rather play a good FPS, or a good RPG, than a weird clunky hybrid of the two.
Shoes...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »

morrowind's graphics have not aged well, at all.

if a game can't hold my interest long enough to be fun, that's not my fault, that's the game's fault.

Did you read the rest? That's what I said--I just said Morrowind is a better game than the other TES games on the whole.

You're entitled to your opinions--at the same time, "one hour" of a game isn't really getting the breadth of it. The thing is you didn't "slog" through anything, you went to Balmorra--like... the easiest thing to do in the game. Just complete your character and get on a Stilt Strider, done. If your experience in walking several feet to the fast travel station was not as wild and adventurous as you expected I dont know what to tell you, lol. I'm not telling you it's the holy grail of RPGs, just something that people often forget is what MADE TES--I mean in comparison, Skyrim isn't even a TES game really, the Witcher does Skyrim better than Skyrim does.

I'm not even talking graphics--ya, better graphics would be great, but the gameplay has just gone so downhill since Morrowind--Oblivion's was okay, but every year they strip it down a little more. One less thing to customize, one less ability, etc. Like I mentioned earlier (if you read anything I've written at all--I assume you just fixated on the "How Morrowind is Better than Skyrim" part) Bethesda is the real worst Sequel--whenever they have something good they tirelessly whittle it down to the bone and it isn't fun any more.

Even worse is how, like I mentioned earlier, how uninspired Bethesda games have become. The worlds themselves are just get less interesting. In case of TES, Every year the wonder just goes--even if the environment is beautiful, it's nothing I haven't seen or could go to Norway and see. OR, if it fantastical in nature it's so cookie cutter and stereotypical that I don't even care about it. In the case of FO... while the concepts are more original, they're almost campy in presentation, and specific places themselves have no real character for the most part. Neither series captures the imagination like it used to.

If you don't like a game sure. All these games I've mentioned can stand on their own two feet as individual games, but we'r talking about sequels here and more often than not these games fail their predecessors hardcore.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12