Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?  (Read 15014 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2017, 11:23:00 am »

Yeah, pretty much - all the additions are just incremental. As you said, all of those features were available anyway in earlier games modded, and I don't think any of those are really big upgrades. Settlements are extremely meh un-modded and companions and graphics still suck compared to most modern games.

I'm not saying that there weren't improvements, just that I don't feel the changes have been big enough.

Then what would be a big enough improvement that you'd consider worthwhile enough to make a new game about? Because honestly, innovation is in between a rock and a hard place in gaming. If you innovate, even with an established franchise, you risk alienating your fanbase, so you either do incremental stuff like that to test the waters, you don't do anything new at all.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:16 am »

If we're talking Bethesda,

I think Skyrim is a bad sequel--I thought both Morrowind and Oblivion were fantastic (in their own ways.) Skyrim is just a massive step back for how Bethesda designs RPGs, of course we should have expected given the direction Oblivion went it, but frankly it bores me, the characters are one dimension and unoriginal, and it panders.

I don't like FNV, but it's hardly a sequel to FO3 so I'll leave it off the list. FO4 is equal parts good times and tedium wouldn't say its on my WORST sequels list. Neither is FO3 for that matter--first it's hardly a sequel, more of a reboot, and second the first playthrough of that game was truly genius and beautiful. And frankly none of the other Bethesda games have really accomplished that for except Oblivion (I love Morrowind, and it's much more interesting to explore it, but it gets off to a slow start.)

Frankly, it seems to me that no matter what they do, Bethesda as a whole has just run out of ideas, or are unwilling to try something new. The real worst sequel is Bethesda itself, whatever game they come out with next will be sure to leave you nostalgic and bored.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2017, 11:38:00 am »

meh I dunno. I gave morrowind a go and honestly, it feels dated and sluggish. And all i did was head to the town I was told to walk towards. I tried to fight a dungeon off the side of the road and died because apparently I'm not good enough at fighting to do it. I mean, I'm sure the game was wonderful before, but honestly, I was more captivated by Skyrim and Oblivion's first hour than Morrowind's. I might just be a casual gamer who's ruining gaming, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Fallout 4 has kept me entertained far longer than NV has. After my first few playthroughs, I basically went around collecting unique stuff and doing quests that maybe changed a little bit depending on how i resolved them.. Then I got on PC and did a few more things and then kinda gave up. Fallout 4's kept me interested far longer than NV. Sure, quests resolve in one or two ways, but so did NV's. Just that you got a slideshow at the end of NV :P

EDIT: Will have to say, i focused far more on fallout for this. Whoops.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2017, 11:48:55 am »

I can nitpick Skyrim until the cows come home, but I've played it for 100+ hours and still keep coming back so it must have done something right.

I agree with this. The games are disappointing in a lot of ways but I think for open world immersion RPGs, you really still can't beat them.

My gripe with them is all about the meta of design. It pisses me off more in ES than it does in FO (since FO has been borrowing a pre-existing system for every game.) ES though....they keep refining down the character building and other mechanics until they're basically pointless. Skyrim was a big kick in the balls compared to Oblivion, and Oblivion was a big kick in the balls compared to Morrowind. Compound that with "must have 75 dungeons", "can't have more than 10 voice actors", "level scaling" and a few others and yeah, there are plenty of reasons to bitch about Bethesda games. And the fact they haven't tried to change or refine the formula in a good way for years. FO4 is the best effort so far IMO, there's a lot of less kruft there than in Skyrim. But there's still a lot of kruft. And maybe it's that there's more window dressing in FO4 than in any game prior. It's easier to not get bent out of shape about samey dungeons and areas when you have interesting collectibles, settlements and robbits to build and the like.

I'm interested to see if Bethesda took any lessons away from FO4 for their next ES game. Like if house building will be natively good instead of a tacked on DLC, if the collectibles will be better. I don't have any hope for the main quest or dungeons or living world aspects; Bethesda is just too set in their ways and they're too used to filling out an entire game with crap for them to really break form.

Honestly, if they made smaller game worlds with development more focused on what makes those worlds tick....maybe they'd be less disappointing after you've sunk 40+ hours into it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2017, 11:54:37 am »

He says with over one thousand hours on record.

How long did he play before he thought 'i have played enough to make a concise review with all my thoughts on it.'

not meant to be argumentative

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »

If you play any game long enough you will find reasons not to like it. :P

I have several hundred hours in Skyrim and Oblivion both, while I didn't even finish Morrowind so that tells you exactly what I thought about those games. Hell I spent more time with that morrowind expansion where you build the mine than I ever did playing through the dreadfully boring main quest. But that's just my opinion obviously. I have far more fun in Skyrim.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2017, 12:18:00 pm »

Xenosaga II and III.

Xenosaga I was brilliant in its storytelling, character development, and (I thought) gameplay, and I thought it was a nice continuation (although not direct sequel) in the Xenogears universe.

I was so hopeful for Xenosaga II - and was immediately thrown into a state of confusion by plot lines and new characters that felt like they missed about the 1st third of their introduction, etc.  The mystery and suspense built by Xenosaga I was totally missing, and the mechanics were...meh.

I barely recall Xenosaga III; I think I did it just to get the conclusion of the story.

EDIT: Honorable Mention, although 'sequels' doesn't really apply to the franchise: Final Fantasy XIII.  Never finished it, probably never will. My big complaint is the essentially linear paths to each zone for so much of the game - no "open world" feel at all.  I could at least tolerate even the notorious FFVIII enough to finish it. But XIII - ugh.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:33:49 pm by McTraveller »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »

That review is pretty spot on though--if you don't like Morrowind, the first thing ill point out before I let that slide, is that it is in fact much more developed mechanically than either Skyrim or Oblivion--it's a lot harder, and you have to stock up right and make use of the best equipment to you. In short you are of bad casual gamings, cyka blyat.

Why I find Skyrim to be bad, is that everything feels the same after a while, I've seen these bandits before, oh look another dragon, hm the same cave system again. Oblivion is a middle ground between Skyrim and Morrowind, but Morrowind's world is infinitely better, even an hour of exploring will show you its a much more wonderful and inspired/weird place than Skyrim is. Also Skyrim is so mundane, Oblivion and Morrowind took you to nigh impossible places, Morrowind just takes you to Norway with dragons. BORING! The thing is, even the expansions are fucking lame--they just feel so cookie cutter and unoriginal. That's my real grip with Skyrim, how much of it we've already seen--instead of a massive redesign for the world of TES, it seems like artists just took a mishmash of images from reality and put  a little twist on it. It's not captivating or original, and FRANKLY, the combat is the least fun of the series--so what is there to do?

EDIT: Oblivion is just AS mundane in places, but its mechanics were more fun, and Shivering Isles was a fucking blast!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:34:33 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2017, 12:44:16 pm »

Bethesda games are at their best when you're just wandering around, exploring the world and having fun time adventures in the worlds that have been so painstakingly crafted by the devs (Say what you will of the games and boy do I have a lot to say, but the devs always put in a lot of effort into littering their worlds with interesting locations and scenery. Which you then never see because the way Bethesda games handle fast travel means you will never see 90% of the gameworld more than once)

The games just fall apart whenever you have to actually interact with the worlds. Then you'll find them populated by poorly written characters, badly constructed plots and subplots and towns and instanced locations which feel like they are in no way shape or form connected to the greater world supposedly surrounding them. You know how everyone talks about the civil war and then you kinda have to search the world to actually find any evidence of it? Yeah. Like that. And you start the game right next to the bloody chief of the goddamn rebellion who has been captured and carted off to what looks like a remote outpost of the empire to be executed instead right on the main square of the capital of Skyrim to show everyone just how the Empire deals with traitors.

Oh and also the dragons come and then they're just sorta there, having no real impact on the world at large apart from every now and then popping up and killing a few people after which the NPCs don't really seem to care and the act of a goddamn dragon attacking a goddamn city is reduced to a trivial "Cor blimey remember the time when there was a dragon?" NPC line.

In fact that's kind of my big problem with pretty much all Bethesda game stories since and including Oblivion. The games have these bombastic big events that should change the way everyone in the world behaves and thinks about their world (fuck giving you quests, there's DRAGONS ATTACKING CITIES OUT THERE) right in the middle of the storyline. All of which are then just turned into a part of the background with no real consequence or effect. A creeping evil that doesn't really creep or advance in any tangible, game-altering way.  (Fallout 4 kinda avoids this by having the big bombastic thing that should change everything actually change everything (talking about the nuke), but then shoots itself in the foot by

)

Skyrim's world is meticulously crafted, with many points of interest, some great scenery and some truly terrific moments of worldbuilding (meeting patrols on the streets outside towns, some fun sidequests or parts of sidequests) but it all falls apart the moment you actually interact with the characters, the main story and a lot of the sidequests.

In general, Bethesda games are great to wander in but their stories and quests are for the most part pretty uninteresting and forgettable. Which isn't helped by the fact that both Skyrim and Fallout 4 seem to expect of you to rush the main story and do the side content later, which is pretty much anathema to the way their games are designed, a vast and open world you're free to explore and get lost in.

My preferred way of playing all of their games is by turning off the fast travel and just ignoring the main questline, merely wandering from town to town, only stopping there to resupply and maybe sell off some junk.

I do not think any Bethesda games are straight up bad (except maybe Fallout 3 and even that has an enjoyable world to wander around in so long as you don't think too hard about it), merely infuriating in that their writers don't really seem to know what works in them (the wandering and fun sidequests and interesting locales) and what really doesn't (big events happening for most of the plot instead of just towards the end, a main plot that feels entirely separate from the rest of the world, and a main questline that expects you to beeline it, ignoring the side content. Also the atrocious fast travel system. You COULD buy a horse in Skyrim but why bother, just walk to a place once and then teleport to it an infinite amount of times.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:45:50 pm by Krevsin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »

That review is pretty spot on though--if you don't like Morrowind, the first thing ill point out before I let that slide, is that it is in fact much more developed mechanically than either Skyrim or Oblivion--it's a lot harder, and you have to stock up right and make use of the best equipment to you. In short you are of bad casual gamings, cyka blyat.
Hm, perhaps but I also load my Skyrim down with mods that increase the difficulty to the point of failure on the simplest mistake so it's not just difficulty that stopped me enjoying Morrowind. I really just hated the setting and writing I think. It was boring. Anyway I wasn't trying to start another morrowind war. I really enjoyed Morrowind when I was out in the snowy plains developing my ebony mine or whatever bloodmoon had you doing. I just couldn't stomach the main quest line

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2017, 12:59:53 pm »

shrug

I dunno. Honestly, it took me way longer to determine if a piece of armor was even a minor upgrade to the starting thing. i armor rating 0 the same as normal clothing? Is armor rating 2 worth buying? Is it even worth the weight to carry around stuff to sell? Maybe it's the lack of a tutorial that's less barebones that made me feel a bit lost. i will admit, i guess the environments looked alright. For the time, yeah. I dunno about now. Unless you load it up with graphics mods, it just looks kinda... Bland. It has colors and strange things. I did kinda get creeped out by Silt Striders. But everything else just looked like a bland 'road through a forest with a few hills woooo' set. I admit, I didn't play much besides getting to Balmora simply because I found the game way too obtuse for me to understand without dedicating a ton of time to it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2017, 01:01:27 pm »

Hm, perhaps but I also load my Skyrim down with mods that increase the difficulty to the point of failure on the simplest mistake so it's not just difficulty that stopped me enjoying Morrowind. I really just hated the setting and writing I think. It was boring. Anyway I wasn't trying to start another morrowind war. I really enjoyed Morrowind when I was out in the snowy plains developing my ebony mine or whatever bloodmoon had you doing. I just couldn't stomach the main quest line

I'm not talking about difficulty im talking about how different combat was, you had more options, more weapons, more magic--and the stuff that got carried over to later games did less than they did in Morrowind. Enemies were harder, and the game didn't hold your hand if you didn't know what you were doing. There's no war here, Morrowind is objectively better in some areas of development and worse in others. It's world building is top notch--I have yet to find a better video game world. The Lore is better, Vivec is genius. The graphics suck and they haven't aged well at all--but they work, and with mods are still pretty okay. The quests are better as is the writing--say what you will but it objectively one of the best storyline's of the TES series. For all that though the game IS clunky and puts strange limits on you sometimes. It's not the perfect RPG, BUT it's inspired. It's Bethesda's Toy Story--but whereas Andrew Stanton made a bunch of great movies after that, Bethesda skipped right to John Carter and ruined it. They lost their inspiration--which is the most important thing, ya objectively the newer games do a lot better, but none of it ties together in the way Morrowind did.

EDIT: @Iceblaster, Since when does Bay12 care about graphics? The Graphics are interesting even if they are bad, which is more than I can say for Skyrim with it's grey af overtones. You got to Balmorra? You didn't even PLAY Morrowind, and you're over here criticizing it. There's a reason a lot of people call it one of the best RPGs ever. You missed almost all the fun and weird environments--I'll admit, it's open is the most boring of the main series, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:06:54 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:36 pm »

I'm just sick of the "Oscar bait" main quest storylines in Bethesda games. Oh find your missing daddy. Oh find your missing son. At least FO NV had a story that wasn't a lazy, emotionally driven sob story, that doesn't track what so fucking ever with murdering thousands of bandits (and maybe citizens), or building an altar out of decapitated heads or whatever fucked up thing players do.

ES games have it right: blank slate at the start. Maybe you're dovakhin, the Dragon reborn, wtf ever. As long as a game isn't trying to tell me how I feel about shit I'm generally ok with what it is trying to tell me. But FO games just seemed to be doubling down on Hollywood style schlock storytelling, if the decision to voice the main character is any indication.

Dear Bethesda: I do not play your games to get tepid feelsbad storylines. Find your main writer, punch them in the dick, then fire them and give someone else a try who actually wants to write cool Wasteland stories instead of the same garbage we get in the rest of the media with a post-apocalyptic filter on it. Yeah yeah I know, the FO4 story eventually delves into:

But I never made it that far because you actively made me give less fucks about the main story because of how you handled it. Oh my perfect life before the bomb, oh my poor wife, oh my poor child, boohoohooFUCKOFF. Maybe take a page from the, I dunno, last 8 years of modding for your games and plan for Alternate Start from the outset.

Because you guys are never, ever going to get the acknowledgement you crave for the main quests you've written, at the rate you're going. EVER.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2017, 01:06:02 pm »

Something a SYNTH would say!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12