Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?  (Read 15021 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Sequel(s) you have ever played?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 09:39:35 am »

Command and Conquer 4.

Drops pretty much the entire series' story line, throws in a wife then never does anything with her but cry over your main character, removes base building and resource management while also adding in a 50 unit cap(where tanks are 8+ points for the cap) and makes it into a rock paper scissors game.

I'm still salty.

I AM STILL SO SALTY.

I've always been a huge C&C fan, and the issue for me was that it wasn't just that they completely did away with everything that made C&C what it was to such a RIDICULOUS degree, but I remember in all the magazines and whatnot they were talking about how it was a sort of 'back to basics' design that would pull upon all the best bits about Red Alert and TibSun.

THEN IT WAS NOTHING LIKE THAT.

When it neared release, and they said that it didn't have base building etc. Everyone was very confused and angry, so they tried to make it sound like it had some base building aspects in. Which it didn't. I doubt they'd get away with it these days (not that they really did then), but now the internet would just hound them for lying a la NMS.

Interestingly, the new Homeworld: DoK is pretty much exactly what they were aiming for, but done really well.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 10:20:02 am »

This is why marketing is VERY important. Sometimes all a game needed to be well recieved was to be a sidegame.

Heck Yoshi Island was originally going ot be called Super Mario World 2 (to admit though... it probably would have still been well recieved)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:59 am »

I'm sort of breaking one of the rules, X-Rebirth.

and the co-pilot (Isha?).
I swear to god if I have to hear her tell my ship voice to shut up one more time I will stuff her out an airlock.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 01:31:27 pm »

This is why marketing is VERY important. Sometimes all a game needed to be well recieved was to be a sidegame.

Heck Yoshi Island was originally going ot be called Super Mario World 2 (to admit though... it probably would have still been well recieved)

Yeah, I mean it was a rubbish game anyway, but I could definitely have accepted it if they had just said 'we're doing a different kinda game set in the same universe'.

A main part of the problem was just that you could tell 70% of the way through they finally realised it was a terrible idea and tried to backtrack, leaving loads of half baked ideas instead of anything coherent.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »

Fable 3... Even Fable 2 was kind of shitty, but Fable 3 (while fun enough) made me lose hope in a game about wonder and being a hero. Where the fuck did Molineux go wrong?

EDIT:

Unpopular Opinion Puffin: Civ games aren't fun at all.

I'll second DOW2 being awful--I don't even need DOW3 to be released to know it's going to be even worse.

EUIV. Idk, just doesnt have the same mystique as EUIII did.

Company of Heroes 2. Same problem--even though it was more "polished" it just lost something that made CoH great--it feels like the devs didn't really try, they just rehashed the same game.

Rome II. The tragic downfall of Creative Assembly--This game really marked the beginning of an era of embarrassingly low quality and an obvious cash-grab mentality from CA.

Wargame: Red Dragon. Okay, it's actually a fun game--but again, it lost a lot of the charm that Airland Battle had.

Red Faction: Armageddon. THQ!!! What the fuck were you thinking!?!? Coming off basically the greatest open world game w/ a destructible environment and you decide to make this Fuck You to fans? Fuck off.

Mass Effect 2. A lot of people aren't fans of the original--and I hate every single one of you for it--ME2 made me HATE the series. ME1 was so great because you felt so alone and lost in the universe and you were trying to figure out what the fuck was going on. When something important DID happen you really felt like a spec ops badass coming in to save the day. ME2 just became totally bland and generic and lost all the customization and personality that I loved in ME1.

A bunch of others probably.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:49:29 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 01:40:07 pm »

Mass effect 3. Yeah I know, it's been done to death, but still.

The ending was really just that bad. I thought the internet was just being stupid and overreacting, but it's just.... it really is that bad. The last maybe 20 minutes of the game are so stupid in every way possible it really killed the whole series for me.

It's hard to explain why it's so bad without spoilers, but it really feels like they were angry at the fans or something and specifically tried to make it bad on purpose.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 01:53:10 pm »

Fable 3... Even Fable 2 was kind of shitty, but Fable 3 (while fun enough) made me lose hope in a game about wonder and being a hero. Where the fuck did Molineux go wrong?

Yeah all Fable 3 had to do in order to be a terrible sequal was to be exactly the same...

Fable 2 was a HUGE step backwards as far as what the series needed to be and the series needed to return to its roots in order to remain a good series in people's minds.

But Honestly Fable 3 feels exactly like Fable 2... Except with a terrible moronic plot that could have been completely avoided if people talked out their problems.

Don't get me wrong the original Fable has its flaws... But it wasn't a game you liked inspite of its flaws... It was a good game that had flaws... Unlike Fable 2 and 3 which were flawed games with good in them.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 02:11:50 pm »

Ya and both lost so much of the wonder of the original. The world didn't feel like that magical, old place.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »

Definitely agree about DoW 2. Such a let down compared to DoW 1. DoW's engine was less sophisticated version of CoH's but it was still pretty decent. Then they went and changed the engine again for DoW 2 and stripped out pretty much everything that made it fun in DoW 1 and CoH 1.

CoH 2 wasn't great either. I'm not sure where they lost the magic. I think it was in the level design. I think I got about halfway through the campaign and quit out of boredom. Mostly I think they just stripped out most of the physics interactions, which was one of the best parts of CoH IMO.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:37:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 02:42:31 pm »

I'm sort of breaking one of the rules, X-Rebirth.

Egosoft have said they are going back to the roots of how an X game is played so it's sort of a reboot, but the story carries on from their last game so it is technically a sequel.

Fuck it. It's a sequel.

The environments look gorgeous.
ships look good.
stations are epic.

And yet the vocal minority gave us such things as;
Having to walk through stations,
Only flying an M6,
No time dilation.

As far as the game itself goes; fleet mechanics are dogshit, the economy breaks earlier than previous iterations, and the co-pilot (Isha?).

If they had made X3:AP look this nice I would have been happy.

This one makes me sad, X Rebirth had so much potential. The modders have descended upon the game and actually fixed some issues with the game already, including fleet management and economy fixing and they even managed to change your ship! One mod changes it into a Katana which is awesome. I actually never had an issue with being stuck in one ship the entire game, I never left my old Springblossom once I got it.

So with a good suite of mods it's playable and somewhat enjoyable.....

But sadly it's just not enough. It doesn't have that same X3 spark. But I respect Egosoft for providing free DLC and continuing updates for it for quite a few years.

Here's hoping they make X4 great again.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 04:00:16 pm »

okay, I've played all of 30 seconds of X, but it seems just like Singplayer EVE? Is that accurate?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:10 pm »

okay, I've played all of 30 seconds of X, but it seems just like Singplayer EVE? Is that accurate?

Yes but with great modding potential and some plot. The plots are kinda ehhhhhh but its fun once you get a solid idea if what you want to do with the sandbox. I wanted to build my own factory complex to fuel my HQ (basically a player shipyard) so I could manufacture the ONE Xenon ship I actually managed to board at great cost.

The X series is one of those sandbox games where your fun is based on your imagination and patience.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 04:54:25 pm »

Mass effect 3. Yeah I know, it's been done to death, but still.

The ending was really just that bad. I thought the internet was just being stupid and overreacting, but it's just.... it really is that bad. The last maybe 20 minutes of the game are so stupid in every way possible it really killed the whole series for me.

It's hard to explain why it's so bad without spoilers, but it really feels like they were angry at the fans or something and specifically tried to make it bad on purpose.
I would go as far as to say it started sucking way before the ending. It's full of moments that break logic for the sake of forced cliche drama, all the while being paced worse than most open world games manage to be.

Although it was entertaining how the extended version made the ending even worse.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »

Well Mass Effect 3 started sucking right around the part of the game that was the start of Mass Effect 2.

Immediate logical collapse of the series pretty much dooms it right there.

Though to admit I cannot think of many games where the entire premise of the game just completely and functionally breaks down right at the freeken start!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2017, 05:22:50 pm »

Well Mass Effect 3 started sucking right around the part of the game that was the start of Mass Effect 2.

Immediate logical collapse of the series pretty much dooms it right there.

Though to admit I cannot think of many games where the entire premise of the game just completely and functionally breaks down right at the freeken start!

Im not sure Bioware thought ME1 was gonna catch fire so quickly--So I dont think they knew where to go with the series after that. I don think they had planned to ever actually make a game bout invading reapers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12