Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77196 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »

Prototype acquired.
Man, that really demonstrates how much of a glass freaking cannon Sy is.

You should stop using video games that I really like as examples, it makes things so much more frustrating when you don't actually run the things.  Shadow of the Colossus, XCOM, Dark Souls...  Veh.

...I'd still love to hear more about the SotC one.
I can tell you it resulted in me asking myself "Alright, how do I map godzilla?"

The answer is "Not with MSpaint."  Mostly because dynamically shifting environments are quite silly to try and map out via a static map. I figured out a way to do it though.  You could climb godzilla from toe to nose and the system  can handle things like his body parts moving while you do it.

But man, when you set down and start doing the work with godzilla as the testbed, you realize just how big the fucker is. I have your average climb speed at 20 odd feet a turn on him (Climb speed is constant, stamina/grip loss is what varies) and it would take 15 or so turns to climb up him like that.  Luckily you could probably jump in from a building top and lower that, otherwise you're definitely gonna have to rest on his body somewhere.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 10:20:56 pm »

He's a lot tankier than he looks because Fight reduces damage as well as dealing it, and his Endure is also pretty good. You'd need +73 Fight or +28 Blast to be physically capable of damaging him, and even then only once every ten thousand rolls (2+90 vs 20+72 or 2+45 vs 20+28). Unless I'm misunderstanding how weapon bonuses work.

That said, yes, at some point he is going to be the scimitar guy from Indiana Jones.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 11:01:31 pm »

Okay, that's pretty darn neat and useful.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2017, 04:48:37 am »

Ooh, I like this. That probably means I'm gonna have to make a chart for it.

...yeah, gonna need a chart while I figure out whether to make an ascetic or molemonk. Or civvie with a transcend bonus.

"or you could play something useful that doesn't irritate Cthulhu for a living"

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Come join us psychics Irony, and you'll have all the esoteric self-harming magics you truly desire.

(Also because I'm likely to get myself killed in the first dive, so there'll be a vacancy for prime psychobastard.)

He's a lot tankier than he looks because Fight reduces damage as well as dealing it, and his Endure is also pretty good. You'd need +73 Fight or +28 Blast to be physically capable of damaging him, and even then only once every ten thousand rolls (2+90 vs 20+72 or 2+45 vs 20+28). Unless I'm misunderstanding how weapon bonuses work.

That said, yes, at some point he is going to be the scimitar guy from Indiana Jones.
Yeah, the different starting classes are still -somewhat- uneven, when comparing eg. Engineer to deathless (+10 from tool vs +20 from weapon and +10 flat stat bonus), but that might even out later on as people get better gear. Personally I think just giving every class a +10 or +20 stat bonus (to 1 stat or divided) would be easiest, since people are building their own starting gear already anyways. Then just deduct 5 for the Dau and mole due to needing eye disk, and maybe deduct 10 more for mole due to claw weapon.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 05:09:20 am »

Ooh, I like this. That probably means I'm gonna have to make a chart for it.

...yeah, gonna need a chart while I figure out whether to make an ascetic or molemonk. Or civvie with a transcend bonus.

"or you could play something useful that doesn't irritate Cthulhu for a living"

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Come join us psychics Irony, and you'll have all the esoteric self-harming magics you truly desire.

Nuuu, join our burgeoning engineering corp! Our works will be much more explosive than some dive.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 08:05:16 am »

It also demonstrates the vast superiority of magic over physical attacks, because magic only has one layer of defence instead of two.  ;-)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:08 pm »

I'm also fully expecting my char to get killed, I'm just hoping I can get some transcend equipment first so that I can reincarnate without assistance.  Biggest obstacle there is prepping a body, so I'm tempted to shift some points from recovery to build.  Not sure, though.  Depends on whether you *need* to repair some already existent vessel, rather than just forge one out of the ether.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 03:01:14 pm »

It also demonstrates the vast superiority of magic over physical attacks, because magic only has one layer of defence instead of two.  ;-)
Yeah, but you seem to forget that using magic literally summons interdimensional demons into your skull. Or, into the world around you. So yes, they are easier to connect with, because after you do one the fucking balrog kicks down your door.

I'm also fully expecting my char to get killed, I'm just hoping I can get some transcend equipment first so that I can reincarnate without assistance.  Biggest obstacle there is prepping a body, so I'm tempted to shift some points from recovery to build.  Not sure, though.  Depends on whether you *need* to repair some already existent vessel, rather than just forge one out of the ether.
If there's a usable body just laying around, you don't need to make a new one. But you can just incarnate and create a body out of almost anything with the build roll.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »

Yeah, but you seem to forget that using magic literally summons interdimensional demons into your skull. Or, into the world around you. So yes, they are easier to connect with, because after you do one the fucking balrog kicks down your door.
Cue accidentally demons everywhere inside the drill turn three.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 03:20:56 pm »

If there's a usable body just laying around, you don't need to make a new one. But you can just incarnate and create a body out of almost anything with the build roll.

Hmm.

So what are the rolls required, if someone shanks you, to just reappear in the next turn?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:22:37 pm by Devastator »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2017, 03:32:04 pm »

Use more magic to fix the problem.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »

Use more magic to fix the problem.
That's like trying to douse the fire you accidentally started by throwing the rest of your matches at it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2017, 08:42:27 pm »

Hmm.

So what are the rolls required, if someone shanks you, to just reappear in the next turn?
Next turn? You can't. It takes several turns to reappear, more if you do everything yourself.

But if you get shanked you have to try a build roll to repair yourself up to livable, and thats a turn. Then a transcend roll to pull yourself out of the sea, thats a turn. Then another transcend roll to put yourself into the body again.  All while losing mind points and potentially summoning creatures that will appear both in the sea and out of it and attack you or eat your body. And you lose mind points when you incarnate so can't realistically do it more than once in any quick succession.

It's doable and gets easier as you get more powerful, but its not something you can just spam.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:48 pm »

Oh, so you don't even need to do the difficulty 50 transcendence check to get into Level 3 Deep Sea?  I guess I don't need any transcendence gear after all.

The other tests are all jokes, frankly.  Transcendence equal to your mind (which is lowering constantly anyway), build equal to the body you're making (which can be 2, for autosuccess regardless of skill), and transcendence equal to that body (which won't be higher than mind if you're incarnating, so the point is moot).  That's three checks which are going to be autosuccesses for anyone with even decent Transcendence.

Also, the mind drain is one point per hour, so if each of those checks only requires one turn you won't even take any mind damage from the experience aside from the final step, and even if you do it's trivial to have a Recovery score which is a significant chunk of your Mind.  Hell, rules as written imply you can just get into a fight and afterward you'll immediately regenerate mind points if you survive.  So the only difficulty here is from the deep sea creatures, though I'm gonna guess they're hell for anyone who doesn't have lots of transcendence equipment.

Changing the body to subtract from mind rather than not subtracting anything for incarnation was a good change, though.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:32 pm »

Oh, so you don't even need to do the difficulty 50 transcendence check to get into Level 3 Deep Sea?  I guess I don't need any transcendence gear after all.

The other tests are all jokes, frankly.  Transcendence equal to your mind (which is lowering constantly anyway), build equal to the body you're making (which can be 2, for autosuccess regardless of skill), and transcendence equal to that body (which won't be higher than mind if you're incarnating, so the point is moot).  That's three checks which are going to be autosuccesses for anyone with even decent Transcendence.

Also, the mind drain is one point per hour, so if each of those checks only requires one turn you won't even take any mind damage from the experience aside from the final step, and even if you do it's trivial to have a Recovery score which is a significant chunk of your Mind.  Hell, rules as written imply you can just get into a fight and afterward you'll immediately regenerate mind points if you survive.  So the only difficulty here is from the deep sea creatures, though I'm gonna guess they're hell for anyone who doesn't have lots of transcendence equipment.

Changing the body to subtract from mind rather than not subtracting anything for incarnation was a good change, though.
You do, but I was assuming that was understood and he was talking about body repair and stuff.

Well, what do you think would make it more difficult but not unreasonably so.

We could make it so that only someone who has made it to the 6th level of the deep sea before an incarnate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51