Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: (SG) Gnoll Chieftess  (Read 12122 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Gnoll Chieftess
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »

Chieftess Venomclaw of the Wicked Song:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You consider the merits of selling in the city as opposed to visiting Thumbscrew's seeder, and find them to be numerous. A major goblin town will have a proper slave market, all but guaranteeing a fair price for the standard elves. The city is also the best place to find seeders, who would pay a premium for at least the druid. It is likely that at least one seeder is directly employed by the rebellion, so you would likely have a ready made contact to boot. All in all you see no reason to not ditch Thumbscrew and conduct your busniess in Dinofang. No reason, that is, save Thumbscrew himself. The goblin has traveled with your pack as a friend, so to do wrong by him would be shameful. A compromise will have to be made.

Approaching the Goblin, you explain that the opprotunity to visit Dinofang has just become avaible to him, but you are still open to employing him as a guide and negotiator for a reduced cut of ten percent. Thumbscrew, who was clearly anticipating being told the deal is off, is thankful, and agrees to your new terms.

---

You return to the stables, this time with Zit and Glowshine in addition to Gorgtooth and his goons. This time, you make sure the stablemaster accompanies you to the back, as you suspect negotiation may be required to get what you want.

Upon reaching the pens containing the beasts for sale, you wait while your ambitious beta female and your alpha male interview the sphinx. The two gnolls each take a good fifteen minutes talking to feline girlbeast, before conferring with you. Their advice is conflicting.

Glowshine thinks that keeping what essentially amounts to a giant, curious, and playful child with the instincts and natural weaponry of a vicious predator is a recipe for disaster. She fears for her safety, as well as the safety of the other small members of your pack, suggesting that the sphinx would likely maim or even kill gnolls unintentionally.

Zit agrees that the sentient beast would likely wreck havok, but thinks it is a small price to pay. Although she cannot yet cast, your alpha male tells you the sphinx has great potential as a druid, and already understands the theory behind and basics of the magical art. Zit goes on further to add that although he is not allowed to pratice non-lethal druidism, he can teach it. He believes the feline can be taught to use magic to impregnate herself with otherwise incompatible mates by the time she reaches adulthood in a few years, which opens up endless possibilities for your monster breeding operations.

Gorgtooth then chimes in. He thinks that if you want a caster, you should take the bug. Your gift-brother notes that you are likely the best arachnid trainer in the darklands, and the sorcerer scorpion already knows how to cast. Your gift-brother then places his paw on the stablemaster's shoulder, and asks in a not-so-friendly tone what sort of magic the creature knows. The stable master informs you the bug practices necromancy and lightning magic. He also adds that he thinks it understands the goblin language as well.

Unsure of what you will purchase quite yet, you begin negotiating in hopes of landing something a bit outside your price range. You had hoped to negotiate in good faith, but Gorgtooth has other ideas. Cranking up the intimidation to eleven, your gift-brother convinces the stablemaster that between interest, fees, and tribute to the greatest living beastmaster (you), he actually owes a debt of 2000 silver. You can't protest too much; With access to a proper city, you doubt there will be much reason for you to conduct business at Camp Decay moving forward, and don't feel too bad about burning bridges. Still, you should have known better; Gorgtooth is as mean as he is devoted to you, and can be depended on to take violent or threatening initiative to further what he understands to be your interests. When your goal is to make friends, you either have to be very clear with your simple-minded gift brother, or better yet leave him out of the conversation.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2017, 11:16:57 pm »

PTW

And maybe play...

I know i will join, who i am trying to convince otherwise?

Holy fuck i love breeding beasts in games it will be hard to control myself someone hold me.

Hey, we are already in the stable. Ask the assling good "fur nothing" what he can do, say that if he say another thing about his penis better he don't say anything or he will lose it.

Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2017, 11:24:22 pm »

This feels a little too convenient, but I am super sold on both the sphinx and scorpion. We can probably train the sphinx to be gentler with her toys, and maybe even healing magic to repair them. In exchange, we get a heavy hitter that will someday be able to manufacture tauric horrors for us. That's more than worth a little wear and tear on our pack.

The scorpion, I think, needs little persuasion.

Getting both still leaves us 100 silver over budget, though. I say we offer a 100 silver IOU, but maybe make it 200-300 to show what a generous thug warlord we are. By which I mean excuse Gorgtooth and discretely tell Glowshine or whoever's drawing up the contract to make it more, because if we mention we need another 100 silver out loud our gift brother is going to get us another 100 silver.

I'd actually be on board with getting a few adolescent trolls, we could use additional able bodied fighters, but it seems like the collective has more or less made up its mind.
They're not a bad idea, but the wool is mostly wasted on us. They're also probably not great beast riders, though they might make good beast wranglers.

I'd be all in favor of it if I didn't prefer our other options, but raw humanoid muscle just feels flat compared to our more bestial options.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2017, 01:18:02 am »

It sounds like both the sphynx and the scorpion will be very dangerous. I say go for the sphynx. Glowshine has raised kids, maybe she would play mommy for the sphynx, if we tell her she can also ride her for all the little errands (that dont involve fighting) we send them off on. Teaching the sphynx not to hurt her new family in the end shouldn't be too hard. If zit can teach her some magic, all the better.

If we can tame the scorpion too without getting turned into its zombie minion, that'd be awesome, but that still sounds like a dangerous proposition. Honestly, I'd rather not risk two crazy dangerous critters. Instead, make up the rest of the debt with the adolescent trolls, and two male and two female saurian kangaroos. And four of the little dartsharks, preferably also two male and two female.

One, the trolls could give the sphynx some tougher playmates with the same kinda childish mentality until theyve all matured. They can help each other grow up, and in the meantime the trolls can still serve a useful purpose providing fur and potentially also fighting, and if the sphynx breaks their necks or something, oh well. Two, the kangaroos offer more possible mounts for the small males. Three, the dartsharks offer some additional attack animals and watchdogs.
In total that'd add up to 1690 if I did the math right. That leaves 310. Take the assling, tell him to be useful or be food, and tell the stable master you'll be back another time to settle the remainder of the debt. Assling can haul some extra supplies or something.

It is a lot of critters, but we can handle it, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:05 am »

My primary problem with these more exotic animals is that we don't have a lot of manpower right now, and it would skew the balance of power towards our critters. They might not both be intentionally malicious, but our position isn't such that i think it's a great idea to weaken our own control of the situation in our pack.

I'm against getting *both* the scorpion and the Sphinx. Maybe one or the other. We barely number twenty, if the situation goes bad it's probably going to go really bad.

Personally, i'm in favor of playing it more conservative and getting some of the more conventional creatures, who might be easier to control. Particularly trolls if they have some level of intelligence. Having some bruisers on hand could be a good idea.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2017, 07:21:09 pm »

If we can tame the scorpion too without getting turned into its zombie minion, that'd be awesome, but that still sounds like a dangerous proposition. Honestly, I'd rather not risk two crazy dangerous critters.
Personally, i'm in favor of playing it more conservative and getting some of the more conventional creatures, who might be easier to control. Particularly trolls if they have some level of intelligence. Having some bruisers on hand could be a good idea.
I think the analogy here would be the world's greatest juggler considering a chainsaw that occasionally comes to life and bucks around on its own. Avoiding it is sensible, certainly, but not really living up to our professional ambition. We are, after all, not just a beastmaster, but a gnollish alpha female beastmaster. That warrants a certain commitment to reckless ambition and wanton hubris, I think.

Instead, make up the rest of the debt with the adolescent trolls, and two male and two female saurian kangaroos. And four of the little dartsharks, preferably also two male and two female.

One, the trolls could give the sphynx some tougher playmates with the same kinda childish mentality until theyve all matured. They can help each other grow up, and in the meantime the trolls can still serve a useful purpose providing fur and potentially also fighting, and if the sphynx breaks their necks or something, oh well. Two, the kangaroos offer more possible mounts for the small males. Three, the dartsharks offer some additional attack animals and watchdogs.
In total that'd add up to 1690 if I did the math right. That leaves 310. Take the assling, tell him to be useful or be food, and tell the stable master you'll be back another time to settle the remainder of the debt. Assling can haul some extra supplies or something.
I'd point out that we probably don't want the sphinx bonding exclusively with trolls and not the rest of our pack, but it's a relatively minor point.

I'm not super sold on the dartsharks. Attacks animals are always good and we own a nice place to breed them, but "attack animal" feels like kind of a default role for any critters we find. Accordingly, even at 15 silver apiece, they feel depressingly mundane.

It is a lot of critters, but we can handle it, right?
The answer to this is always yes.

My primary problem with these more exotic animals is that we don't have a lot of manpower right now, and it would skew the balance of power towards our critters. They might not both be intentionally malicious, but our position isn't such that i think it's a great idea to weaken our own control of the situation in our pack.

I'm against getting *both* the scorpion and the Sphinx. Maybe one or the other. We barely number twenty, if the situation goes bad it's probably going to go really bad.
THE ANSWER TO THIS IS ALWAYS YES

Really though, I don't see the problem with being critter-heavy. We're not worried about a coup or even really something breaking free and needing to be caught. The scorpion is really only dangerous to us because we're the only one who's going to be attempting to tame it, and the sphinx is only dangerous to our pack because she's playful. Both are probably manageable for a wrangler of our skill, and neither's strongly affected by our current humanoid count.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2017, 07:49:31 pm »

Of note: if the Sphinx can "work" most males at a later point we may have a good way to put our males to use when our Slight lack of Females catches up with us.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2017, 08:16:22 pm »

If you mean gnolls, we're actually fairly overloaded by females: Our alpha preached 1 beta female per 8 males at an absolute maximum, and we're running with 3 females for 17 males, or a little under 6 males per female. Unless you mean literally that we want enough females to spawn our own personal army of packlings, in which case yes, I suppose we are a little sparse.

In any case, if she can really be taught to impregnate herself with anything, the sphinx's breeding value is probably going to be in hideous crossbreeds rather than raw numbers. Not that gnollsphinxes wouldn't be interesting, but I'm sure we can do even better. sorceror scorpion sphinxes yes yes yes

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 08:19:44 pm »

I say we offer a 100 silver IOU, but maybe make it 200-300 to show what a generous thug warlord we are.

Is this siggable? Or are sigs a sort of you-have-to-be-there thing?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »

Yep, Everythings Sigable, so Long as it has not already been sig'd.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2017, 10:47:55 pm »

After some internal debate, you decide that taking both the Spinx and the Scorpion would be irresponsible, even by gnollish standards. In the end you settle on the sphinx, the deciding factor being that you want to do something nice for Zit, who will likely be fairly miserable moving foward as the cruel and dangerous Gorgtooth seems to dislike him.

You then turn your attention to the assling, and ask what he can do, threatening to neuter the poor creature if the answer relates to his penis in any way. He thinks for a second, before admitting that he was raised to be a traveling minstrel and bard, but was kidnapped and sold into slavery underground before he could finish his training. He can play the Halfling Tripipe (not an easy instrument to find in the Darklands) fairly well, and can eventually figure out the basics of any other wind instrument given enough time. He is fluent in surface common, the language of humans and halflings, as well as most of the tongues spoken in the darklands. He claims his poetry is decent in any language, especially when it comes to lewd poems and filthy songs. He initially refuses to tell you his name, as it relates to the part of him you have threatened to cut off, at which point the stablemaster chimes in that he is called 'Cucumber'. He likely had a proper halfling name at some point, but it is standard pratice of goblin slaveholders to violently condition their property to forget or repress as much of their old identity as possible.

In the end you decide to buy him. At worst, he will make a fine meal and acceptable pack animal, and could also be of use as a back-up translator or source of biologically incompatible entertainment should Zit be unavailable at some point down the road while you are in heat.

Next you turn your attention to the trolls, and settle on the three adolescent shaggy ones; Although smaller, they should be easier to train from a younger age. Although not the smartest of animals, trolls do possess voiceboxes capable of simple speech and parroting more complex ideas, and a strong and dexterous humanoid frame that allows them to fill in for a proper sentient being in combat or unskilled labor with the proper training. Two are male and one is female, which is not an ideal configuration for breeding, but these youth are still a good half-year or so from having to worry about that anyway.   

Lastly you select two breeding pairs each of Darksharks and Saurian Kangaroos. Neither species is monogamous, so you could get away with a single male each, but this way allows you insurance should you lose a specimen before the first nesting/spawning, and affords you a bit more genetic diversity otherwise.

This leaves you still owning 160 silver in stables debt. You take 100 of it in the coin the stablemaster has on hand, and have Glowshine write up an invoice for the remaining 60 before leaving.

---

Back at camp, your pack is quick to take to the new acquisitions. Bloodcoat offers to train the dartsharks as proper attack animals should you not wish to invest the time yourself. Another male, called Mutilation, claims to have taught trolls to speak and throw javelins before, and could take those duties off your hands if you wish. One of the Goblins in Mandible Squad also offers to train the trolls, stating that he can teach them to bear heavy shields as cover for the pack, as well as the arts of mining and bricklaying.

Problems arise with the Sphinx, who seems to get along better with the captive elves, who speak her language, than she does with the pack. Glowshine seems rather smug that her perdiction that the getting the Sphinx would be a bad idea is already panning out. While thinking about how you might deal with this potential issue, you ask the creature's name, which prompts both Glowshine and Zit to advise that you should just rename her yourself; The Sphinx's moniker refers to several heavinly bodies, and does not translate well into the subterranian languages of people who rarely see the sky. You might also want to think of names for your other new purchases.

---

Not wishing to stick around and risk the consequences of extended exposure to the larger gnoll pack at Camp Decay, you uproot the pack to begin the five day journey to Dinofang. The first day of the journey is spent catching up with your gift-brother.

Gorgtooth spent his first month at camp decay trying to get an in with one of the larger bandit armies run by a human named Tobias Thames, a highborn wizard chased underground for taking boychilds of his own species as lovers. He eventually got Mr. Thames to give him work running messages to and from various leaders in the goblin military, but found out the hardway that the human would have those delivering particularly secretive messages killed to cover his tracks.

He was beat up by a gang of five humans, and his pets killed or chased off by the same. Gorgtooth's assailants thought they were leaving him for dead, broken, naked, and bleeding three day's walk from the nearest settlement that might allow a Gnoll entrance, but had clearly underestimated gnollish endurance. Gorgtooth picked himself up, tracked down his three remaining ants, and started the long and painful journey. On his way, your gift brother ran into some goblin rebels, who happened to be quite interested in his story, particularly the parts regarding Mr. Thames' connections to the hated goblin government. When they learned that Gorgtooth was the son of the Alpha Trumpet and raised at Mastiff Nest, a location the rebellion desires to control, he was more or less a made man among their ranks.

Since then, Gorgtooth has participated in several small battles for the rebellion, but has spent most of his time being dotted on by Princess All-Killer, the strange dinosaur/drow/goblin hybrid in charge of the rebellion's small presence at Camp Decay. The two became close friends and part-time lovers; Gorgtooth would use her as an outlet whenever a gnoll pack rolled through the camp looking for work and the presence of their alpha female would drive him wild, and All-Killer found some enjoyable novelty in the violent nature of gnollish courtship. Outside of sex, the pair was compatible as well; All-Killer's drowish nature appreciated the wicked cruelty of your gift brother, and the goblin in her was impressed by his ability to lead through intimidation. Gorgtooth in turn appreciated having a friend who could make up for his mental shortcomings, and also reveled in the novelty of female companionship; A properly raised gift-sibling is conditioned to despise all female gnolls, up to and including their own mother, save for the alpha they are born to serve, their own female siblings (you sadly lack such a gift sister), and any beta females accepted by their chosen alpha. This hatred rarely extends to non-gnolls, so a relationship such as that between All-Killer and Gorgtooth is hardly unprecedented.

By the end of the day's journey, you have deduced that Gorgtooth carries both a devotion to the rebel cause and a thirst for revenge against Mr. Thames, although neither surpasses his single minded love for you.

---

The theme of Gorgtooth carries into the night's entertainment, as he decides to make a big deal out of formally joining your pack, and taking his first female gnollish mate. After you deliver a rousing speech on your gift-brother's virtues, it falls to Cra-Crawler to fuffill Gorgtooth's second wish, as your other two beta-females are still occupied elsewhere. You are somewhat shocked when Gorgtooth actually puts up with Cra-Crawler's elaborate courtship and foreplay, and completely floored when he begins behaving submissively towards the younger female. Thinking about it, however, your gift-brother's behavior actually makes sense; An expert insect trainer, Gorgtooth would understand better than anybody the danger posed by the wasp, and the miraculous nature of the fact that Cra-Crawler can control it.

After the performance, Gorgtooth confirms this theory to you in private, and explains his actions a bit further by explaining that he has heard of Cra-Crawler during his time in Goblin country. "There are lots of rumors about Cra-Crawler among the goblins. She was raised at the Temple of the Death Gods in the Holy City of Butchery Banks, and was supposedly being groomed as high priestess to some morbid god the greenskins stole from the humans. Some have told me that she used to preach she is like the wasp: undead and alive at the same time. Others say that she used to prove her faith by inflicting sure deaths upon herself and emerging unscathed. I have heard that she bled herself dry, let the wasp sting her, and drowned herself for hours at a time. I am glad you give her respect so that I may as well."

Before tug-o-war can begin for the night, there is an incident with the elf prisoners. You arrive in a hurry, to find them fighting amoung themselves; While the druid is spacing out under the effects of Glowshine's drugs, four of the remaining six are beating up on the other two. One of the assailants is choking out the lone male captive with the ropes binding her hands, while the other three (including both the females you have considered as potential pets so far) are stomping a female elf. You issue a few commands to Slowdeath, who breaks up the fight by tossing assailants aside before the larger males in your pack can arrive to do so themselves.

Once the situation is entirely under control, you deploy Glowshine to get to the bottom of things, and find yourself pleased with what you have dug up. Rumors had been beginning to spread among the captives that the pack intended to sell them to a seeder, but that the alpha gnoll was looking to spare one of them as a personal pet. Two amoung the captives have decided that they would rather suffer the later fate than the former, and were prepared to beg for you mercy nextime both you and Glowshine were around. The remaining elves decided this behavior was treachery, and decided to punish the two willing to submit to you.

You have the two separated from the other elves, excuse yourself and Glowshine from tug-o-war to interview your potential new toys.

The male, Hayleaf, is a lowborn mercenary hired to guide and guard the bridal party while they were in the wilderness spiritually preparing for the wedding. As a lowborn, and not even being from the same tribe as the females, Hayleaf worships different gods than the others. One of the deities in his personal pantheon relates to natures savagery as opposed to its beauty, and as such he does not feel he would have to forsake his values to travel with the pack. Hayleaf is skilled with the bow and blade, and knows how to navigate both the surface and the darklands.

The female, Waters of Purity, is the younger sister of the elf eaten by you and the beta females, and as Glowshine explains, one thing elves and gnolls do have in common is a spiritual view of the predator/prey relationship. Waters of Purity believes that her sister's spirit is now one with the pack, and that your desire to take an elf as a pet stems from sisterly desire to protect and nurture Waters of Purity that you inherited from that meal. Waters of Purity adamantly claims that you will feel unfulfilled with your selection unless you choose her. Waters of Purity claims that it must her destiny to be your pet, because she is the only elf in the group to live full time underground; She is married to her tribe's ambassador to the dwarven kingdom, and makes her home in the dwarven city of Longsword, which sits only a week and a half from your future home of Blackpool Shaft. Although for the most part Waters of Purity is a spoiled and unskilled highborn, she has taken up the smelting and smiting of gold and silver as a hobby, and can both make jewelry and decorate other objects with the valuable metal.

Glowshine, although weary of keeping a pet who could sic the dwarves on the pack should she escape, can't help but salivate at the possibilities presented by Waters of Purity. "We can use a gold and silversmith to produce counterfeit coins; A thin layer of precious metal around a coin made from a less valuable substance. Also... This is a huge risk... We ate her sister... I can't believe I am suggesting this... But I know some among the dwarves want to sic it to the goblins by supporting the rebellion. We might be able to use her husband and his ties to better our relations with both the dwarves and the rebels... But... it would mean the bloody end of our pack if it goes poorly... so risky."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2017, 01:38:59 am »

I am sad. That scorpion was made for us. :'(

Training
Bloodcoat training the dartsharks sounds good. It'll free us up for more fun things (which I think mostly means the sphinx at the moment) and give him a way to be useful even with his bum leg.

Training the trolls to speak sounds nice, but I think I'll go with letting the goblin train them in meatshieldery and construction. Using a troll at range strikes me as a bit of a waste, and some noncombat talents could come in handy if we want to build up (or dredge down) Blackpool Shaft.

...nothing left for us to do but train the sphinx! Or train ourselves in one or more of its languages. Probably both. Actually, Zit will probably be busy training it magic, so this may be a mixed three-way learning experience.

Naming
Good name for a sphinx... pardon, gnollish name for a sphinx... Writhewomb if we want a weird reference to her intended talent, Windclaw if we want to mention her savage elfishness.

Trolls could go with brutish names, but I'm in favor of weirding them out a bit to match our pack's bug/fish focus. Dugweed, Crawlskull, Mawslab, that sort of thing.

The critters should probably get one-word names of a somewhat grim nature, to match Lord and Lady Carrion. Maybe Shank, Flank, Noggin, Paunch for the kangaroos (nontheatening/derpy body parts), and something like Femur, Knuckle, Gristle, Liver for the dartsharks (bones for one gender, soft tissues for the other)? We could also go a bit more intimidating/gory, or otherwise get a more coherent theme for either.

Future Plans
Waters of Purity is basically perfect as a pet. Her insane family-related mysticism should fit in perfectly with Cra-Crawler and our pack's general relationship to us, she's accustomed to living underground near where we plan to stay, her noncombat (which is to say, only) skills can feed directly into pampering and flattering Glowshine, and she has some connections we could (but wouldn't have to) use to better relations between not only ourselves and the dwarves, but between the dwarves and the rebels. Altogether, a much better deal than the few hundred silver we'd probably get for her at the slaver's market. The only downside is that she's going to complain endlessly about our traveling conditions, but we can just tell her our protective instincts insist we toughen her up and teach her to live in the wilds.

Personally, I'd like to keep the guard elf also, though. He'd fit in fine with our pack and serve as another navigator and perspective, which can be handy when most of your pack's diversity can't talk. Having a second elf would also probably be good for our sphinx, who's otherwise light on speaking company.

On the topic of Gorgtooth, I see no reason not to stick with the rebellion and slowly eat Mr. Thames alive when we catch him. Well, other than that wizards are dangerous and hard to subdue.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:14 am »

Tree hugging pets:
And we will have a female and male elf pets, just don't let the ambassador see her in times of pregnancy hehehe

If they are so eager to join they can get pleasures when proving useful. But they must be aware, going to the seeder is a better end than trying to trick us.

Outside their view, give the chance of Cucumber proving himself, say that he should act as he want to escape and is trying to escape together and with the help of both elf-pets. If he discover that they aren't trying to trick us, good for all of them. If they are trying to trick us and he can prove it (make a fake and sabotaged escape from the pack only to get captured a few tunnels late.) they are fucked but the assling will be at better hands, we don't need to say that he will be screwed if he try to trick us, he already know that.

Training:
Say to Mutilation that his skill in teaching how to speak will be used sooner or later, but for now the goblin shall do the work.

For now the plan of IronyOwl is fine, we should sometimes overseers the others trainers and see how good (or incompetent) they are in training, and giving tips&tricks and all that in their training skills when possible. Train the trainers and we can later begin to trust blindfolded in they training for us.

(Hmm, a speaking troll would be easier to teach?)

Gorgtooth:
He can write down. That wizard will pay, and will be in Gorgtooth's hands how the history will end.
Ask/see what are the sexes of his ants, ask if he know how to train them and if is possible to breed them.

oh hell, he is the largest gnoll, and have no problem with cra-crawl. hope she can get pregnant and give dozens of big sized siblings. although the milk have more effect on size and i have no idea if cra-crawl's milk is poisoned.

Naming:

errr... I am horrible at this.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2017, 08:38:46 pm »

Both of the above plans look good to me.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 09:22:32 pm »

Leaning towards keeping both the willing elves as pets, you order them to be kept separated from the others for now, while also calling for another round of bloodletting, from which Purity of Water and Hayleaf are spared.

---

The remainder of your trip passes without serious incident.

Rather than spending your travel time socializing, you ride next to the Sphinx, whom you have nammed Writhewomb, and the gnolls that translate for her, doing your best to learn the languages your valuable new pet speaks. This turns out to be a stressful exercise, as neither language shares much in common with any tongue you speak. Eventually, fusterated, you decide that you must focus your attention on one tongue at a time if you want to make any real progress in either, and start weighting the advantages of both.

Druidic, on the surface, seems to be the weaker option. Most of the wild beings who speak it in the Darklands also know how to speak Savage Undercommon or even Gnollish, both tongues that you are already fluent in. It does, however, give you the advantage of communicating with any Druid you might encounter regardless of race, although, once again, the races who most commonly practice Druidism underground are Gnolls and Kobolds, whom you can already communicate with. Learning Druidic, of course, opens the door to becoming a druid yourself, however the druidic arts are rarely practiced by Alpha Females for several good reasons; To advance past the mere basics, all but the most talented of druids must take binding oaths to regulate their behavior, and doing so might impact your ability to lead. Druidism is also unsightly for an Alpha Female, who should present herself as a living god, as much of the magic lies in appeals to various higher forces. All that said, however, quietly learning the basics would further empower your ability to work with animals. Learning Druidic would mean spending lots of time studying under Zit.

The Elfish tongue offers far more immediate benefits. Not only would it allow you to speak to Writhewomb, but to any pet elves you decide to keep as well. Important drow also tend to learn the language of their surface cousins, and might look on you with more prestige if you speak the them in Elfish than they would if you presented yourself in Undercommon. Glowshine, who would likely be your main teacher in Elfish, adds that Elfish is the language of wizardly scholarship, so any wizard worth his salt will at least be able to read and write it regardless of race.

Bloodcoat begins to train the Dartsharks to fight as he had offered, and quickly proves himself to be an apt trainer. Smaller and more nimble than their larger mountable cousins, the Dartsharks will be, in some ways, more dangerous once training is complete. For both the Frogsharks and Kangaroos, you decide to use a naming convention from The Alpha Trumpet's pack, and make each breeding pair a 'lord and lady'.

Although too young to breed yet, you also decide to throw 'sir' and 'lady' in front of the troll's names, just to make it easier to pick out the sole female, Lady Mawslab; What few sexually identifying features a normal troll might have are covered in thick wool on these specimens. Training is slower for the trolls than it is for the Dartsharks, but you are not sure if this is due to lack of proper equipment or lack of skill on the trainer's part. Gorgtooth's goblin underling, lacking both tower-shields and bricks, is reduced to running basic military formation. Bricklaying is taught using roughly brickshaped pieces of frock and fugal wood in place of bricks, and mud in place of mortar.

One thing you do notice is alliances being drawn, hinting at a potential power struggle among your underlings. Glowshine seems to be consolidating power and influence for herself, and seems to have gained Echo, Dingo, and Bone-Saw-Saw (who is finally beginning to recover from his concussion) as loyal underlings. Gorgtooth and his six troops in turn have taken to associating publicly with Cra-Crawler, whom Gorgtooth has claimed as a personal adviser and either strongarmed or seduced into declaring that she will focus on bearing your gift-brother a litter once one of the other females is once again open to all in the pack. Zit has quickly learned how to use the massive Writhewomb to throw is weight around, and uses his title as Alpha Male liberally to command the obedience of others in the pack.

On one hand, such politicking reflects well on both you and the pack; It shows that influence within the pack is of value and worth competing for. Furthermore, as a pack requires an Alpha Female to function, you know none of the factions are a direct threat to you. That said, many a pack has met its end because infighting turned violent at the wrong time, and there are a few things here that worry you. Both Gorgtooth and Dingo seem to genuinely dislike Zit. Your gift-brother thinks him an unworthy loser who seduced you with his ugliness, while Dingo openly covets the role of Alpha Male for himself. Furthermore, although you trust Gorgtooth and his devotion to you completely, it seems that some of the more clever members of Mandible Squad have his ear, and as they are not proper members of the pack, you doubt your best interests are high on their agenda.

---

The pack approaches the stone walls of Dinofang halfway through a travel day. Since you doubt the guard would respond well to a pack of gnolls approaching the gate, you send Mandible Squad ahead to announce your arrival and secure your entrance. Four hours later Gorgtooth and his men return, flanked by twelve other rebel soldiers. You are presented with loose fitting black silk toga to distinguish yourself from the Gnollish slaves kept in town, and your pack is lead towards the city.

At the gates, the soldiers split the pack up. Gorgtooth and Mandible Squad leads you, Zit, and the beta-females through the gate, while the remaining soldiers lead the rest of the pack and prisoners to their accommodations just outside of town. You ride through the gate mounted on Slowdeath, but the other beasts (save Cra-Crawler's wasp) go with the rest of the pack. Thumbscrews follows the pack to see where they end up, but tells you he will likely get a room at the Dancing Raptor, a local inn.

Few free gnolls ever get to enter a civilized city, and you are suitably impressed. The few blocks you travel alone contain at least three times as many homes and businesses than you might find in a Kobold settlement. Most of the citizens you pass carry metal weapons, full coin purses, and other valuables that only the richest Kobolds and Gnolls might have, and the streets are straight and paved in polished stone.

Eventually you are lead into one of several massive towers in town that pierce the cavern ceiling, and take a geomancy elevator up for several minutes until you reach a large meeting chamber that overlooks a surface desert from several dozen stories up. In the chamber you are introduced to Iago, a well dressed goblin who claims to be the assistant of Silentkiss, the Drow who holds final authority in all rebel matters unrelated to the church or military and is mother to Gorgtooth's friend Princess All-Killer.

Iago explains that Silentkiss knew you were coming, but was called out of town on urgent business two days ago. The drow would like to meet you and your gift-brother in person, and has opened the city to you and The Wicked Song. Your pack will be staying at his personal plantation just outside the city walls until he can secure some kind of uniform to identify them as friends of the rebellion rather than slaves. Iago, however, is unwilling to keep a dangerous captive Druid on his property, and offers to buy it off you on Silentkiss' behalf. Silentkiss, as it turns out, personally preforms seeding experiments for the rebellion, and also directly oversees all civilian seeders in Dinofang.

Iago will pay an advance of four thousand gold coins for the druid, which he suspects will be about half the final purchase price. The bride will then be moved to Silentkiss' personal dungeons for safekeeping, and when his mistress returns, she will appraise the merchandise and pay you whatever else is owed. He also notes that he would be willing to purchase and take away any of the other elves as well, but wouldn't be able to pay you an advance for them.

Glowshine notes that the advance on the bride seems fair, but is a bit hesitant to deal in gold. Gold coins are typically used to purchase magical  goods and services, or to conduct other large and important transactions as the spells to detect counterfeit gold are far easier than the spells to detect counterfeit silver. Although gold is more valuable than silver, mundane merchants will often rip off those desperate enough to conduct mundane business in gold by treating it as equal to silver in value. Unless you plan on making any large or magical purchases in the near future, Glowshine warns that it would be best to seek out a money changer. The exact exchange rate varies wildly from place to place, and Iago notes that gold coins are presently being exchanged for about 1.7 silver in Dinofang, which he admits is pretty low. Silver is presently worth more than usual in rebel territory, as it is being used to make some weapons and shields in the face of tin and iron shortages.

"Although I'm not opposed to ridding ourselves of the elves before they cause trouble, it might be worth taking at least the non-druids to the local slave market to see if we can get paid in silver." Glowshine concludes.

The discussion then turns to your personal accommodations. Iago thinks it is wise for you to dwell in a manor while you are in town unless you desire to go into heat, as gnolls in the city are kept as slaves by the poor and middle class, so you might be close to girlchildren if you stay in a common inn or house. As luck would have it, all the high houses of Dinofang are interested in the honor and novelty of hosting a Gnoll Chieftess, so you have options.

House Redfeather is Iago's family, and the goblin lordship tasked with running the civilian affairs of the Rebels. Although Redfeather is renting out its right to rule to Silentkiss in exchange for first dibs on the results of her experimental seeding, they still hold most of the important civilian positions underneath the drow. Gorgtooth intends to stay with the Redfeather Goblins as Princess All-Killer has written letters of introduction on his behalf to several of her sisters living at the mansion.

House Rex is the spiritual heart of the rebellion. It owns or oversees most of the temples, shrines, and academies devoted to the Saurian Dragons that the rebellion is fighting for the right to worship, and many of those who dwell in the mansion are both clerics and personal friends of the fabled reptile gods.

House Sootcough is the most wealthy of the Dinofang bluebloods. They more or less control the supply of Bronze in rebel territory, and used this powerful leverage to gain control of the military when the hated royal family cut the rebels off from Iron and Steel.

House Brontosaur used to control the military, but have been left largely powerless by the recent maneuvering of House Sootcough. They have, however, been promised most of the land in the Mandible Tunnels as consolation, which you are to help the rebellion claim. It stands to reason that helping your pack is in their best interests.

House Needles is one of the oldest and most prestigious goblin names, with lordships across goblin territory. The name Needles is synonymous with wizardry and scholarship, and although the local branch only nominally supports the rebellion, their manor houses some of the wisest and mightiest casters in the darklands.

House Plauge rivals House Needles in age, reach, and prestige, and are known as the keepers and master clerics of the traditional Goblin Pantheon. The own or maintain all the temples, shrines, and academies dedicated to the terrifying gods traditionally worshiped by goblinkind. The local branch of House Plague only nominally supports the rebellion, but has expressed great interest in housing 'The prophet Cra-Crawler and her cheiftess'. Cra-Crawler for her part would strongly prefer to stay at Plague Manor, but feels that showing pack unity and staying with either you or the males is more important.

You pull your lieutenants aside to debate on the housing issue, and aside from the aformentioned Cra-Crawler and Gorgtooth, nobody has a strong preference. Just as you are about to adjourn the group and attempt to come to a decision on your own, however, that Cra-Crawler drops a prophetic bombshell. "Last quiet time Glowshine conceived the pack's first litter and next quiet time Echo will conceive the second and before we leave this city I will conceive the third. I forsee a rough pregnancy for Glowshine and a rough birthing for Echo and a rough pregnancy for me. The pack should settle soon, at least temporarily, at least to get through this, so we should hurry to the mines when our business is done here or we should extend our stay in the city."

A gnollish pregnancy lasts three and a half months or so, and although rarely lethal to the mother can leave her very weak and vulnerable. A young pack that depends heavily on the skills and leadership of its beta-females can easily fall apart if too many become pregnant at the same time. From the looks of it, you can tell Echo and Glowshine are thrilled by the news none-the-less; Echo, being far more kindhearted than the average gnoll, is enthralled at the thought of raising young, while you know Glowshine desires nothing more than honor and respect, which bearing the pack's first litter will bring her. Cra-Crawler is tougher read, and deflects attention away from herself by fawning over the other two before Gorgtooth drags her away and attempts to interrogate the prophet in the corner, likely in attempt to figure out if her litter will be his as well.

You don't think Iago speaks gnollish, so you doubt he is aware of any of this. If you do intend to try and make his city your home for a spell, you at least have the element of surprise on your side.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8