Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Institute  (Read 1913 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
The Institute
« on: December 24, 2016, 05:32:54 pm »

The United Institute of Technology and Development was founded under the principle of developing the technology for more effective space travel and colonisation. It represented the collaboration of Humanity's most prestigious minds and its most powerful governments, and it was to be the hope of a humanity wracked with conflict and alienation from its very self.
At the time, the colonies of humanity were so far removed from one another that there was little resemblance in culture or identity from one world to another. It took years for communication to circulate between solar systems, and that was only if the infrastructure was developed for that kind of long range communication. When actual contact occurred, it was as likely for violence to break out as it was for cooperation, with each colony growing only more alien and isolated from one another. The Institute seemed by many to be the last chance to prevent a new age of interstellar war from erupting.

The Institute succeeded, and gloriously so. The pooled resources and minds of a half-dozen worlds led to a breakthrough in technology that rivalled all others. The Institute discovered a power source with almost limitless potential, derived from instabilities in space itself. A form of radiation given off by this "fraying" at the corners of reality, at least as it is usually understood. This energy came to be known as Omega, because such was it's power, that many believed it represented the very last step towards a humanity that could explore and obtain anything it wanted.
After years of further development, the Institute itself became not only the developer, but the primary distributor of Omega energy. They provided reactors capable of meeting the energy needs of entire planets, and ship drives capable of transcending the previous boundaries of space travel by orders of magnitude. Suddenly, they made an isolated and limping humanity into a force to truly be reckoned with, the Institute to remain the curators of the technology that made that possible. High from their victory, the Institute used this new leverage to perch itself as a force to rival any government, and yet a necessary ally to every single one. After a century, not only had humanity recovered from the brink of self-annihilation, but the Institute had perched itself as a Mega-Corporation the likes of which had never before been seen. They maintained their own private army, sovereign territory, and the cooperation of any government that had a mind of competing with its rivals, even those who themselves saw the Institute as despicable.

It wasn't immediately clear that something was going horribly wrong. Omega energy was derived from instabilities in the very fabric of reality, and utilising those instabilities tore them just a little bit further at a time. When the problems began, they were small. The most powerful reactors began to require significant maintenance, and any technology around them similarly became far more liable to wear. Working at such facilities also began to take a psychological toll on the Institute employees, who began to grow more and more superstitious regarding the hulking Reactors that they cared for. These however, were seen as a small price to pay, and the Institute and the governments which depended on them both began to compensate accordingly.
But things continued to get worse.
The most heavily taxed instabilities began to form into rifts in the very fabric of reality, which required the development of far more intensive containment. More than that however, creatures began to worm their way through, at first un-noticed. Some were ethereal, barely corporeal creatures that evaded detection, and had abilities which in some cases defied all understood models of physics. They were not the only creatures to break through however. Some were monstrously alien, hateful creatures, which the Institute kept a secret for as long as possible. They contained and studied the otherworldly abominations of both sorts, and strengthened the security of reactors many times over. But it was not enough. Eventually, not just individual creatures, but entire armies began to break through, wreaking havoc in brutal unprovoked attacks that in a few instances even grew far enough out of control that they swallowed entire worlds.

The Institute however, does not intend to allow these creatures, or even the loss of untold billions to get in their way. They will crush this challenge as they have any other, or so they intend. It may even be that they can turn not only Omega energy, but the world beyond, to their whim. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:23:24 pm by Mlamlah »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: The Institute (A corporate villainy SG)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 05:33:19 pm »

You are considered by some in The UITD to be among the foremost experts on the Extradimensional threat, either due to expertise or experience, and have been tasked with running a facility that is supposedly the best chance at discovering how to combat and exploit both the perils and potential of Omega energy. Many of the details of the facility are "beyond your paygrade" or otherwise classified until you take your position as Head of Staff, but you have decided to accept the position.

Truth be told you didn't really have a choice, the people this offer came down from arn't the sort you say no to. Ever. Nontheless, the job also comes with more money than you've ever had the pleasure of managing... on Salary alone. The resources they seem to be placing in your hands are beyond intriguing, along with the promise that you will be allowed to operate solely at your own discretion. You suppose that must mean that you are being stationed on a world controlled by the Institute, rather than under the purview of a Planetary or Factional government, which is also a rare treat. You suppose you'll find out for sure once the papers go through.
Though, you're also worried. You know that the Institute doesn't invest this many resources into anything unless they expect huge returns. Clearly they expect you not only to find the tools necessary to handle these threats, but also to build on the power and technology of the Institute as a whole.

Who are you? What is your name? Your work experience?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GM Note
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:48:26 pm by Mlamlah »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: The Institute (A Sci-Fi corporate villainy SG)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 07:49:46 pm »

This looks really cool.

Name: Harrison Eastwood
Background: Military
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 12:07:37 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 06:31:11 pm »

I'll be posting tomorrow, get your votes in if you've got any feelings one way or another.
In the meantime, merry Christmas and happy holidays!

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 02:52:21 am »

Name: Jacko the Wacko
Background:-Science MAD SCIENCE!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 04:07:00 am »

Name: Jacko the Wacko
Background:-Science MAD SCIENCE!
+1 to messing with forces beyond our control - in the name of discovery!
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 12:28:09 pm »

I'll probably give Jacko a more vanilla "given name" if he wins (after all, the Institute is very meticulous with paperwork. And they can always find out who you really are.) but i can still incorporate that name for flavor in some way. I'm settling in for the day, so i'll be able to start on the post soonish, not that i'm cutting off votes *quite* yet if anyone wants to squeeze one in. The backstory will effect the initial flavor of things, as well as the resources and knowledge of the charachter.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »

Jack "Wacko" Ackerson

"00327" Institute Model Corvette

You are Jack Ackerson, the head -or rather the former head- of Research and Development at the Ulmit deep-orbit Space Station. Only a few weeks ago, you were whisked from your former posting, and informed that Ulmit's space station was slated for demolition. It would seem that the wrong people caught wind of your experiments. Initially you were furious, the test subjects at the station represented the effort of years and collaboration with several rather difficult departments. Some of your experiments were in sensitive stages that left their subjects impossible to be moved.
The station itself was designed by you for the specific purposes of containing anomalous entities and other phenomena for study, something which was not easy to lay the groundwork for. It was manned almost exclusively by convicts and unlisted contractors, all of which were not officially living on record. It allowed you unprecedented freedom in otherwise illegal experiments both on anomalies and humans. The creation of meta-humans, the exploitation of the abilities of extra-dimensional entities, and all of the secrets of Omega energy were within your grasp, leaving the station's discovery by a factional government all the more disappointing.

Your rage is cooled when you discover that you will not be required to start over. In fact, due to the success of your research you are being granted facilities and resources to rival many of the department heads of the Institute itself. You expect that investment to be granted under pain of death should the Institute not be satisfied by the returns you offer, but that's the same as ever, a triviality included in any standard contract worth its weight.
Soon the paperwork is filed, and you are granted unrestricted access to the files regarding the facilities that you are being put in charge of. Apparently the Institute has exploited the mechanics of Omega energy which have been revealed by the extra-dimensional invasions to develop a new kind of Omega Reactor, even more powerful than standard models. Rather than tapping into the mere radiation given off by Omega anomalies, this new model -The Mk II Omega Reactor- operates by either exploiting or intentionally creating a new tear, opening a stable gateway into the world beyond, which can be used to both exploit the energy of this universe directly, and to allow the before unheard of travel into the beyond. Quite intriguing on many levels. Apparently the facility was lost to enemy forces for a few months, leading to thousands of deaths, and more importantly the expenditure of billions of credits worth of equipment, but it has since been mostly reclaimed.

Beautifully, it seems unlikely that this new facility will suffer the fate of your old posting. It's in an uninhabited system set aside by a still-standing treaty with an alien species that the U.I.T.D has begun to exploit. The politics of it are a little beyond your understanding of either treaties or history, but if it ensures your research will not be interrupted that is certainly enough for you.

You have ensured that you could salvage whatever you could of your old projects and equipment, if not the subjects themselves. Your old team too, will be assigned to join you on your journey to the currently nameless secret facility, though the convicts that had been at the station have been disposed of with the station itself, expendable as they were.
It is not long until you and your team are picked up by the ship which will be transporting you, fresh from the shipyard that made it. To your pleasant surprise the ship itself is under your name, courtesy of Doctor Victor Trask, the department head of Research. It's a flattering gift, though it also underscores the importance of the work ahead of you. Doctor Trask must expect you to do great things on behalf of the institute, and you likely wouldn't survive dissapointing him.
The ship itself isn't very large or powerful as far as starships go, a Corvette with a crew of only three-thousand, completely un-personalised and still under factory settings. The shipboard A.I is as boring as they come, incapable of holding a conversation.

You suppose now you must decide wether you should chart a course for the facility directly, to take your position as Director and Head of Staff. You have been provided an advance on your budget which you suppose you could use to secure assets before you take the journey. It may add a few weeks to travel time, but from what you are seeing in your files the facility has been stripped of much of its equipment, and is currently running under a skeleton crew. On the other hand, you may be able to develop a better understanding of what the facility needs if you simply go there to inspect it. If you do decide to make a detour, there is then the matter of what you would purchase with your advance. Perhaps the parts for assembling advanced computer systems, or additional robots and drones which could be used for either security or maintenance purposes. You could also hire on engineering or security contractors, or purchase a freight starship. You could even try to hook in an expert of one field or another. The possibilities are endless, but that is certainly not true of your funds.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 09:30:17 pm »

Ptw. This looks to be really cool!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 04:24:23 am »

Can you add something so that we can actually see our funds? And how much it would cost doing different things?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 12:35:56 pm »

And how much it would cost doing different things?
Agreed. With so many options, we need to see how much the examples would cost.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 12:41:30 pm »

Current funds are already listed under asset on the character profile. I'm on the run right now, but if you want to allocate a "budget" to spend on one project or another that is possible. Assume that the funds are only sufficient for one or at the most two of the suggested actions, unless you want to intentionally cheap out.

The advance is a very small part of a 1 trillion credit spending budget, so one could conceivably even take a loan against that, though one should expect interest.

Edit: I can probably give vague number values when I get back, but it's worth noting that as someone without a financial background or an accountant, your charachter Is only going to have a vague idea of the cost for things of such exorbitant value. That's usually what the help is for.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:01:52 pm by Mlamlah »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 12:44:16 pm »

Um.  More like, we need to know what we can do with the money, not, we need to know how much we can do.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 12:59:01 pm »

That's part of why I included examples. To help provide reference and to give accessible possibilities based on the ideas your charachter is having. You could purchase a freighter, a force of security drones or entice one of the leading experts in a field of study but you're going to unlikely be successful in purchasing a Frigate or a functioning omega reactor. Unless you borrow heavily.

However, as mentioned I can potentially give a more comprehensive list of examples with attached number values, but that is going to take me at least a few hours.
Pages: [1] 2