Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189327 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1875 on: March 03, 2017, 02:59:35 pm »

Damn, impressive amount of posts for such a young thread. Must be something to that game.

Have to ask: Is this like Haven and Hearth, and Salem, where a handful of trolls can destroy months of work in under an hour?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lichis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:27 pm »

Ugh, a guy who is obviously funneling in resources from another domain set up next to me and is just expanding right up against me.

A guy also settled right next to my domain, having the whole continent free and he couldn't find a better place (hopefully is not one of you guys :P). At least this one is slow to expand, but anyway how does one deal with that? constant struggle to expand and having to continuously ask for permission to expand? If I kill the master of the domain do I still have to ask for permission to expand?.

My new coords on Tropico are 06490W03555N.

My old domain in the north is gonna become inactive so if somebody wants to grab it then you are free to kill me and claim it lol.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »

Have to ask: Is this like Haven and Hearth, and Salem, where a handful of trolls can destroy months of work in under an hour?

People could destroy a lot of work in under an hour. They would do so by slaughtering all your settlers, some of whom have good stats/equipment/levels. It has happened surprisingly little in the five months the world has existed so far.

It feels significantly less hardcore than H&H/Salem, though I never played those games enough to understand just how quickly/slowly an alt could be leveled up. When my mid-level character in H&H was murdered I just quit; despite having a small walled-in settlement where I could've regrown a character. I could definitely see a 2-4 month old player quitting LoL if all their settlers got killed.

It would take a very, very concerted effort to flat out destroy someone in LoL once they have walls up. There are also a lot of ways for someone to fight back/make that destruction painful on the aggressor. And the destruction would take days/weeks so the aggressor would have to put their troops at risk of being counterattacked.

There is a middle ground where you can be force vassalized by an aggressor. They could potentially destroy your military and tax you 10% daily. But again in that scenario you have ways to hurt them/their friends while they have you under forced vassalization.

The gap between the strongest character and a serious mid-tier character in H&H/Salem was always massive. Not so in LoL. A mid-tier house can really hurt a top-tier house; a small kingdom can (and has) beat a large one in a war.

Perhaps due to some of these factors, the original French playerbase was surprisingly passive. They didn't leverage their advantage and subjugate everyone. They were also polite about war - giving warning ahead of time rather than doing surprise slaughterings while their opponents slept. I give them a lot of credit for allowing the game to grow in a healthy/peaceful way. Now other groups/nationalities have caught up so the dynamic might change - on the other hand, several people have completed their walls.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:57:58 pm by Datgum »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 03, 2017, 03:32:53 pm »

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 03, 2017, 07:20:29 pm »

I have founded the domain of Midgetbusters.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 03, 2017, 07:37:34 pm »

A guy also settled right next to my domain, having the whole continent free and he couldn't find a better place (hopefully is not one of you guys :P). At least this one is slow to expand, but anyway how does one deal with that? constant struggle to expand and having to continuously ask for permission to expand? If I kill the master of the domain do I still have to ask for permission to expand?.

I have the same issue of someone settling right next to me on Tropico, although my own new colony was settled near another whos lord died in the first 24 hours being there. I found its a pretty common thing that'll happen. This is after I had to abandon my original settling location at the last minute because of someone also settling right near, in the case they were there first  and growing faster than I could (new account/player). I find at least with close borders that most are willing to to discuss such, although I have dealt with one player who resistant to letting borders expand and another who has a domain that's not even growing yet still remains.

EDIT: I'm considering deleting my account and do a fresh start over to hopefully avoid the many mistakes I've made and to start right. I'm still not sure if the course of action is a smart one however.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:55:44 am by Therolyn »

Rueprect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 04, 2017, 04:07:35 pm »

Is it still possible to liquidate this https://www.landsoflords.com/map/00717W29639N domain if all of my characters already have a domain?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 04, 2017, 05:23:48 pm »

Is it still possible to liquidate this https://www.landsoflords.com/map/00717W29639N domain if all of my characters already have a domain?

Characters can own three domains each, so yeah.

Ah, it hurts so much not to have any nearby domains to liquidate for those juicy starting funds.

Since I haven't yet founded a new domain(Zythland was an abando claim), do you get starting good that can be sold off? Is there a cooldown on founding a new domain? I figure you could put out a domain, sell all the stuff, liquidate, then found a new domain, and when the server ticks over midnight, the money on your lord(gained from liquidating) would transfer into the new domain. I assume there's something in place to stop that though, because that is hella exploity.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 04, 2017, 06:38:14 pm »

There is a cooldown of 7 days between founding new domains.  However, that cooldown might disappear if you liquidate one of your founded domains (not one of your formerly abandoned domains that you claimed).  So maybe there is a possible exploit there.

Please tell me no one here is doing this exploit.  I know that someone who I will not name is using scripts to exploit the market and do other things...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: March 04, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone use any exploits. Obviously, if there's a 7-day cooldown on founding a new domain, then what I suggested won't work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 04, 2017, 07:17:51 pm »

I can confirm that this is an exploit.  I founded a new domain, sold all the stuff, then liquidated, and immediately had the option to found a new domain.

Some things make more sense now.  I know for sure that someone is using scripts to make money and do other things.  I'm almost sure this is how they're doing it.  This kind of makes me angry, because I have been putting lots of time into this game and doing everything legit.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:36 am »

Main problem is that there is a number of them and all create new accounts to do it with.  Hell some aren't even playing the game except to do this on occasion.

It's also not a flat 7 days, the more domains you already have the longer it is.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 05, 2017, 06:57:12 am »

I seem to be a bit stuck.
I can't build huts, or streets. Apparently I lack 'roofing'.

I looked at the market, and the search function, and there is no such thing for sale as 'roofing'.
How do I get roofing?

EDIT: nvm, figured it out. I needed tiles.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:20:46 am by martinuzz »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 05, 2017, 07:26:44 am »

Tiles or slate are roofing material. Slate tends to be a bit expensive if you're not producing it, and probably has a significantly higher build time as well.

EDIT: Oh hey, they added maple syrup. Now we just need some pancakes.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1889 on: March 05, 2017, 08:45:50 am »

Want to hear funny story?
People ask Admin to buff the North because it's below freezing there and they cannot farm like south does, so they're poorer. Admin adds new resource as a direct answer to that... maple syrup... which can only be gathered above 0 degrees Celsius.
He's either masterful troll or he really doesn't see the problem with this.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 161