Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: African news thread  (Read 29544 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Africa
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:13 pm »

* Sergarr animates the thread

Migrants are being sold at open slave markets in Libya

Migrants from west Africa being ‘sold in Libyan slave markets’

'Old slavery mentality' is making a comeback in lawless Libya, migrants say

Absolutely fantastic. You can just feel the democracy and human rights blossoming with the evil tyrant dictator Gaddafi deposed by light-blessed pro-Western forces of good.

Getting rid of Ghaddafi was a mistake, for sure. The Libyan civil war didn't actually end, and so things like this are allowed to happen. The Tobruk government can't stop it, if they can even be bothered instead of just taking bribes to look the other way, and the jihadi infested GNA/LSF coalition the UN supports is even weaker. Still people try to get through, though. A 100% free ride in a peaceful, wealthy land is pretty enticing I guess.

Well theirs always the, to the shores of Tripoli, option.

Most Americans (and probably Euros too) don't even know there's still a war on there. The resistance to intervention in Syria is strong and it'd pale in comparison to this. History doesn't fill me with confidence they'd pick anyone decent to back either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2017, 01:22:37 am »

Macron seems to be willing to dedicate some political capital to Libya, notably having got both Hafar and the GNA to talk in Paris and having them agree to both a ceasefire and scheduling new elections (at which Hafar is supposed to stand) next year. Not clear if this is going to go anywhere, but at least this shows there is some will to adress the issue on the north side of the med.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2017, 12:58:10 pm »

Macron seems to be willing to dedicate some political capital to Libya, notably having got both Hafar and the GNA to talk in Paris and having them agree to both a ceasefire and scheduling new elections (at which Hafar is supposed to stand) next year. Not clear if this is going to go anywhere, but at least this shows there is some will to adress the issue on the north side of the med.

WHat about having the support of the other factions like the Tuareg tribes in the southwest area and numerous smaller factions? Having the two biggest ones agree to reconcillation is good, but they're going to have to find some way of uniting the various groups.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2017, 01:03:35 pm »

Kinda' would think one way of doing that would roughly be "The two biggest ones agree and quietly let the rest of them know they can get in formation or get in line for an asskicking."

Even if it doesn't get all of 'em to get on board, if it gets most then suddenly the remainder find themselves in a considerably worse situation with far less room to fly under the (variously literal) radar. Once you get the biggest tangle out of a mess, the smaller ones become much easier to get to, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2017, 08:26:21 pm »

With the two biggest ones agreeing Libya will have access to their own sovereign wealth fund, which would give them 67 billion dollars to play with. This would give the new Libyan government all the funds they need to rebuild and reconquer

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2017, 06:37:35 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/08/07/541609649/how-to-fix-poverty-why-not-just-give-people-money

Interesting, certainly better that all of it going to some corrupt politician. I am certainly not a fan of aid as the system is rather horrendously corrupt but this is good.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »

Well it's certainly one way for Africans to gain access to American-tier credit, it'd be interesting to see how this plays out

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 10:20:05 pm »

Interesting, though I feel like the typical bar for charity/welfare is so low that any competent implementation is going to look pretty fantastic in comparison, regardless of the particulars. The whole thing is also firmly and admittedly concerned with more efficiently passing out fish rather than training any new fishermen, so it's an attempted refinement of a questionable method in the first place.

Like trying to figure out more efficient blood transfusions, even though most blood is eaten by vampires along the way and there's obvious concerns over whether it'd be possible and preferable to patch the wounds or stimulate blood production instead.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2017, 11:01:00 pm »

Interesting, though I feel like the typical bar for charity/welfare is so low that any competent implementation is going to look pretty fantastic in comparison, regardless of the particulars. The whole thing is also firmly and admittedly concerned with more efficiently passing out fish rather than training any new fishermen, so it's an attempted refinement of a questionable method in the first place.
Like trying to figure out more efficient blood transfusions, even though most blood is eaten by vampires along the way and there's obvious concerns over whether it'd be possible and preferable to patch the wounds or stimulate blood production instead.
On the bright side it does place the initiative on the local level, so that ultimately the decision lies with the recipient on whether they need to become a fisherman and not some think tank on the other side of the planet

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2017, 11:11:40 pm »

In other news, Kenya had an election and nobody died this time. Yet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2017, 04:34:01 am »

Nigerians want to know where their president is.
Since Muhammedu Buhari was hospitalized 95 days ago, no one has seen him or heard from him.
Rumours that he is dead are spreading.
People are protesting using the hashtag #ResumeOrResign, asking the president to either start doing his job again, or resign.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2017, 05:20:51 am »

Sometimes I wonder if you really can take a lawless state and repair it without a tyrannical dictator being appointed.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2017, 06:07:39 am »

Ha this thread.
Africa could be the world super power but europe and china are swiftly making sure it stays shit and has been for decades.
Oh i mean.
Freedom and democracy for all!
××××××××××××××××××

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2017, 06:13:08 am »

Eh, to a large extent right now we're doing a fine job of keeping ourselves down, not much external fiddling needed. Not to say there isn't some present, but saying it's all down to White Monopoly Capital/Yellow Devils/slur for external force of your choice is pointing fingers that doesn't help much.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2017, 06:16:14 am »

Fingys are for pointing
××××××××××××××××××
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19