Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185949 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #840 on: August 08, 2017, 07:17:01 pm »

Okay, preliminary plan. We go in, and try our hand at bluffing and intimidating.
I think that it is better to have a backup/lookout/surprise than a second to help intimidate. Also we can swing the "not afraid to travel alone" angle for much the same outcome. So gentle push him back if we can't openly tell him to stay hidden for an emergency. If we DO have opportunity to tell him stuff, it would help if he knows that if we go berzerk, then we will be properly berzerk and would ideally be contained or sedated. But we likely only have time for a quick gesture, so the gentle push back seems the best.
We want a cohesive story that doesn't implicate anything that might be happening soon. Our apprentice was stolen from us, we are ancient and powerful, we used our familiar to locate them and don't have the least concern about taking on their whole organisation to recover our property, and it had best be unharmed...

We open by sending our dragon in, it flies(Oh, whoops, it probably can't fly yet, umm, well, maybe it can run along the softer parts of the walls?) directly to Kagari and we follow it into the room as though it were our guide. If there are any corpses in range we animate them. Out cute little lizard should make a show of clinging to Kagari, protecting her, and spraying its 'flames' around. It is rare that flaming eyes fail to improve an intimidation attempt.

Then we put on a show. We Make demands. She is ours and we are getting her back, and if they expect some sort of payment for have STOLEN her, then they had better rethink their position if they don't want their corpse digging ditches while their soul burns up to keep a candle alight. They have wronged us and can consider themselves lucky if we let them simply return our property unharmed. Try to puff out a bit of smoke as we talk. Not enough to obscure the room, try to keep it close. If we can obscure our body then that is good, but all we really need is for people to get the impression that there is a cloud of fog around us that sucks out their life if they go too far into it, which is where judicious use of siphoning cloud comes in. If people think that they are up against the persistence and spread of Smoke Cloud combined with the effects of Siphoning Cloud then we have an incentive to stay away and a suggestion that we are more powerful than we actually are, and we can play it off as though this just happens when we are unhappy. We should also go ahead and use Animate Piece to entice our hair to flow out and rise a little, maybe some rythmic pulsing and... I think the word we want is "thrum".  We want to avoid being seen as making any overt physical aggression. If people start shrivelling because they chose to walk into our cloud then that can be played off as being on them, and we can keep it at the level of "I am still talking, you can keep this diplomatic if you want to stop sending goons to have their souls ravaged". We are, afterall, hoping to draw this out into a shouting match until help arrives.

If things DO turn violent, then we want to go with horror. We may not be thirsty, but that is no reason not to hollow out someone's arm with a pedipalp. If someone is organising an attack against us, then it would be fine to use Deathbolt to "devour the latter half of their life"... We want to save 15 mana for emergencies, but beyond that we should burn like an inferno to maintain our fearful impression.

We should not haggle. If they offer our "apprentice" early on, then we should just take it and run, well, withdraw with a scowl and a curse and a "mind who you meddle with" and a dash of "too tiredto deal with our apprentice's misadventures at this time in the morning". If they are properly cowed, likely after an ill advised attempt to get physical, then we can demand reparations, probably the supposed amazon. I do not see us pulling off a "save the slaves" without Queen, and she is not in a mood to be saving anyone, and she is probably at the point where even suggesting favourable things, like "focus on revenge, the bystanders might be useful" would probably be seen as an insult to our glorious drider self who refuses to properly admonish those who affront us.

Sitting by and listening to her being tortured by a jolly mocking crowd of well-to-do types will probably get Queen involved, at which point the fireworks happen regardless...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 09, 2017, 04:41:44 pm »

I'm stopping this, right now.
No! We can't possibly-We'll have to.... I'll try a bluff, at least. You stay back and help out of it doesn't work out.If things go bad, I might go berserk. Do NOT come near me, and keep the civilians safe when it happens.
The detective nods, and lets you go forward.
You step out in the open and announce your presence. As much as a dragon entrance would have been preferred, you don't have the time. Now that you have a good look at the surrounding area, you start to realize you may have made a mistake. There are at least fifteen guards around, and a crowd of fifty very nasty-looking customers. This being a central point of the sewers, with no rivers flowing, leads it to looking more like a part of a castle. The surroundings have been made pretty, as well, and incense is burning all over the place, burning your eyes as you step forward in you spiel about being a powerful wizard that demands her student back. You do your best to puff out as much smoke as you can as you talk, of the life-draining variety. It's a very thick sort of smoke, but it hardly sticks around you. Still, it seems to add an air of seriousness to you. None of the people present have done anything, apart from looking at you. Fortunately, you hear the branding iron fall to the ground with a clatter. The fact that you make your hair thrum with intensity is another plus, but anybody who is familiar with magic will know that it's just window dressing at best and a waste of mana at worst.

After you finally demand for your apprentice back, and imply the consequences will be legendary if that does not happen, the first reaction from the people around you comes into play.
You fucking bitch! How'd you get all the way out 'ere!? a tragically familiar voice shouts out. A man from the back, the one who was holding the branding iron, jumps off the podium where the sale was happening. An odd figure, that looks like somebody that lost a lot of weight far too quickly. Something more notable, however, is that more than half of his body looks to be made out of a liquid metal. You know that guy from somewhere, but where...
He certainly knows you, though.
Look what you did to me! The alchemist had to replace more than half o' me to keep me alive! But now, I'd be more then 'appy to return the bloody favor!
He charges forward, and nobody pays anymore attention to the slaves. Almost instantly, the salesman has jumped down and is taking bets as the metal man charges forward, shifting his arm into a glowing red blade. You raise your sword, as dignified as you can, and try to perform a final bluff.
Whoever you think I am, you are making a very large mistake.
I'd never forget the face of the spidery witch that did this to me! RAAAGH!
He charges forward with a clumsy, but extremely fast charge. Just as you are about to abuse the clumsiness, he morphs part of his leg to allow him to bounce back, forcing you to just barely block with the sword. A massive chip is taken from it, as you blocked it with the edge. However, he did not account for the cloud of siphoning smoke that was still behind you. He coughs as you feel an energy flowing through you. It emboldens you enough to attempt a stab with the blade, but it just bounces off his chest! You managed to rip his shirt, revealing a large part of him has been turned to metal. But he's most certainly affected by your magic...

You fire a deathbolt, which hits him square on the chest. Almost instantly, he screams as his body nearly rips itself apart! The metal must be bonded with his soul, and when you loosened the connection it must have caused exceptional damage! Blood is seeping all around his shirt, and already he is left swaying. You rush forward again, slamming down with your sword. Even in his weakened state, he blocks without much difficulty.
He didn't account for your pedipalps, though.
You force them into his legs, one bounces off while the other sticks! He screams in yet more pain as you drain the limb dry. You also blow more life-siphoning smoke in his face, covering him almost completely and leaving only his agonized screams to show what happens. Soon, his voice gives out, followed by his body. You step out of the smoke, with little mana left, but damned if it wasn't a good show! You didn't even take a scratch (you felt some puncture wounds, from some small prongs his arms give out, but he healed you for more than that did!)

I do believe I have made myself quite CLEAR! Now hand me my student so I may leave your petty squabble.
The crowd looks at you with varying expressions. Some in awe, some are angry, others look pleased. But most importantly, the salesperson steps forward with a very smug look on his face.
An excellent performance, mademoiselle. If it were an arena, you might have won your freedom! But... sadly, you have forgotten an important detail!
That I must murder a few more before I am granted my student?
Oh no... The question is: why would a grand wizard be wearing a police uniform?
You don't know me. And it's in your best interest to keep it that way.
And leave a high-quality eastern product with such an uppity attitude to walk? Au contraire, ma fille. He snaps his fingers, and all at once multiple bolas fly towards you! They all grapple around different legs, and it ends up flooring you! Your little dragon instantly gets to work on chewing through the back ones as you work on the front, but the guards are upon you in an instant! You struggle to the best of your ability, but you are disarmed immediately with a crushing kick to your arm. Your lizard is thrown away, in the "hallway" where your detective friend is. They begin beating you down, leaving you with no time to even breathe as pain overwhelms your senses. it stops soon enough, but you feel incapable of movement. The salesman walks up to you as the crowd behind him cheers and whistles in sadistic enjoyment. he places his face just inches from yours
We should get extremely acquainted, indeed!
You spit in his eye, blood mixing with saliva. He merely laughs.
Feisty one, indeed...

As the guards begin to drag you, you suddenly hear a high-pitched voice yell something.
IKIKAERA SERU! Kagari yells, and you see a bolt of blue lightning pop from her bound hands towards the group! It misses everyone, hitting the corpse of the metal man instead. You feel a distinct feeling of despair as you realize that she isn't a whole lot more competent when it counts...
Untill, suddenly, a man behind you cries out in pain. A strangely morphed blade has been stuck his back, and he falls to the floor, dead. Again, Kagari yells out "Ikikaera seru", and then that corpse starts moving. All the guards are busy restraining you, so nobody can stop her as her two fresh minions quickly free you from the back and clumsily assault the others. The sudden release allows you to roll to the side until a massive explosion rocks your skull. The salesman has pulled out a flintlock!
Already, the undead guard falls to the ground, his head a pulpy mess. You do your best to release the final bola around your good side, but you just don't have a blade to do it with! Fortunately, the remaining undead is clearly troublesome, and you manage to remove the offending bola without interruptions. You pull yourself upright, and cough up some blood while doing so. Your side flares with pain, but you grit your teeth and belch out your final bit of life-siphon.
Nobody falls for it, and the metal man is quickly torn asunder by the next attack. You can just barely run from the enemy, owing to the fact that your legs work hydraulically. You feel like your lungs are grinding themselves to powder, and you doubt you'll be able to get away, until you hear another loud BANG echo through the hall.

The detective has finally entered the fray.
I've got another shot ready! Anybody who wants to try?! You're all under arrest, now l-let them go!
Amateur.
Before the detective can react properly, the salesman fires his own pistol. The detective instantly crumples to the ground, groaning in pain.
So much for that.
Alright, ladies and gentlemen! This unexpected enterainment has been quite welcome, I'm sure, but now it is OVER. You can collect your bets after the slave auction. For that matter, we shall begin with our FRESHEST addition.
He runs up to you, jumps on your back and puts you in a headlock. You're too beat up to even wiggle, as you cough up more blood. He grabs your hair, and roughly shakes your head around.
on SALE! FIVE-HUNDRED for damaged goods! Metal gag included for free! Buy now and-

His sale is suddenly interrupted when a war cry is heard from all sides. The first thing that happens is a rain of crossbow bolts coming from the shadows, followed by a disorganized bunch of exceptionally mean looking men and woman. The salesman swears, and the crowd pulls out it's weaponry. All of them are armed in some respect, although some hide behind bodyguards. You smirk at the salesman with a bloody mouth, as the slaves are getting freed from their pens. They quickly join the fight, if they are able. The fight is raging on, and you hear a very sudden screech of the amazon, who has been freed from her bonds and proceeded to dropkick the closest remaining guard.
While that's all quite lovely, your vision is blurring and you're still coughing up blood. You're having trouble breathing, besides.
Suddenly, as you're about to slump over, you get some unexpected support.
C-come on! We need to get out of here!
Atsuko is giving you her shoulder to lean on. You wish she didn't pick the side that had broken ribs, but it can't be helped. She practically drags you out of the combat zone, although not unscathed. You takes a few near misses from errand crossbow bolts, with only her reflexes keeping her safe. You're not so lucky, but your spider half can take some damage.
Eventually, you are out of the fight, though you can hardly follow how that even happened. You are lying next to the detective, who is still groaning in pain and going into shock.
Kagari has already ripped her robes up to form improvised bandages. Quick thinker, at least. You could use the help, but...

Insist on getting into a safer area.
It's out of the direct combat zone, yes, but the odd crossbow bolt might still find its way here.

Help the detective!
You're used to this sort of thing by now. The detective needs her help more than you do. Even if it doesn't feel like it...

Help me!
You're bleeding out! You need some immediate medical attention right this second!

Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inventory

Magic, skills and minions
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 09, 2017, 05:31:46 pm »

The Detective needs more help then us.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:58 pm »

We're at 2 hp and "Bleeding!!!"
The detective, on the other hand, likely has a single hole.
We probably have just enough mana for a stitch or two and are at an awkward angle from which to stitch ourselves, even if we knew which wound to start with. Get some thread, or even a strip of cloth, we are not being dainty here. Get a needle, please carry a needlie in our hair... but we can rip off one of our dragon's claws if need be. Ask someone to find where you are leaking most from and then stitch closed the detective. Someone can reopen it later to get the bullet out, but for now the bleeding has to stop. Then, then we try to close our worst spot, or something. Bluebells probably. Our cookbook would know where to go, it should be around here something. Is Eveline here? Queen could something the blood, she tough. FIND THE RABBIT!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 10, 2017, 04:58:01 pm »

Help me out first! Just... Stop the bleeding, and I'll try to help the detective. you say through gritted teeth. Your little lizard has managed to crawl back to you, and you yank out a rib to prepare yourself with. you apply a little rework for a small needle, and pluck out some hair. It'll do.
As Kagari does her best to bind up the wounds she can find, starting with your forehead, you get to work on the bullet wound.
As it turns out, it wasn't a single bullet, but a collection of them! Pieces of his clothing have lodged themselves in the wound, alongside the bullet, and you can just barely put one clumsy stitching in per wound! On top of that, you need t keep steady for the make-shift bandage to be applied properly. You're most likely straining yourself too much, which is a thought that only occurs to you as your vision blurs. You cough up a little more blood, and stop. Your lung must be getting torn up from the broken rib!
You did what you could to help the detective, and finally collapse on the floor, shaking. Atsuko yells in alarm and doubles down on her efforts to help you. Suddenly, you feel a sharp pain multiply itself from your shoulder. A bolt clatters to the floor, and you realize what your fellow student just did.
Don't pull t-them out... you wheeze, weakened. If she pulls them out, the bleeding will only get worse!

You cough some more, as Kagari continues to panic. She forcefully grabs the impromptu stitching material, although she makes sure what stitching you did manage remain. Such as it is. You can only hope it's enough. Kagari forces the little rib in your flesh, making you cry out, but it has to be done to keep you alive at this point. She's still dodging the occasional projectile, but it's starting to quiet down. You're glad.
You take that as enough of a reason to finally allow yourself to pass out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You awaken soon enough, albeit in absolute agony. Without the heat of battle, your wounds sting and grind at you. As you look around, you feel your heartbeat pumping through you like a battering ram. Slow, heavy beats that serve to only worsen the pain. You're covered in bandages, from what you can tell, and the amazon is standing over you. Now that you're up close, you can see her very eastern features. She has a brown skintone, and a long pointy nose. Her musculature is impressive, not a single part of her looks soft. She seems to be the one who is doing most of the healing.
Remain still. Your wounds are grievous, and your lung is badly damaged. I can merely hold you steady.
Where? you wheeze out, god you feel terrible.
We remain in the slaver's den. The men that came in are currently looting. One of them has granted me a collection of bandages, at least. On that note,
 I thank you for the attempted rescue. It was foolish for you to step on by yourself, but filled with valor. You have the heart of a lioness.

T-thanks, I think. You cough again. More blood, and a deep burning pain shocks through your chest. You groan in pain as you constrict slightly.
Try not to move. Your friend is looking for a healing potion. She was making your injuries worse, but she meant well. It is good you saved that innocence.

You resist the urge to chuckle bitterly. Goodness, everything just HURTS.
Here I am! You hear Atsuko yell. She sounds out of breath, and looks to have brought a whole drug store with her. Her arms are overflowing with vials of all sorts.
I... I don't know what constitutes as healing potion.
You look at her with sad, tired eyes. You blink. You blink again. She has the decency to feel deep shame, at least.
I know nothing of alchemy... Hm.

Suddenly, you hear a familiar voice. The detective!
T-the purple one will set her bones. The white ones will give her a temporary transfusion of blood... If you don't mind, I'd like one of those as well.
There is plenty. Take it. the amazon says, with a dismissive hand-wave.
He takes a swig of the stuff, and then sits down again on the damp, cold floor. For you, the bottle has to be kept against your mouth. You can barely do more than shake and groan in agony. The potion is bitter, but at least it goes down easy. An audible crack is heard as the ribs set themselves rather violently, and you scream in pain, causing you cough up more blood. Your lungs are still damaged!
Damnation! Get her a transfusion!
The small bottle of white liquid is nearly forced down your throat, and you soon feel slightly better. Your breathing is labored, but you won't die quite yet.
She needs a proper shaman. We have done all we can.
I'll go get the guards. They'll be able to get her out of here and to a healer. You two stay here!
But you're still injured!
She risked her life trying to stitch me up. That's the only reason I'm even alive right now, so I'll be damned if I just let her rot here!
He hobbles off, into the darkness. He's not in tip top shape, but he sure is trying.

You try to keep yourself calm and steady for the next few minutes as you wait for proper help. As you wait, a familiar face (or mask, to be more precise) comes close to you. They throw a few scrolls on you and leave without a word. The bandaged androgynous twat doesn't even comment on your state. Atsuko Kagari takes a look at the scrolls, though.
Whoaaaa... I didn't know you had a buncha sisters!
I...I don't?
Uh. The scrolls here are saying that they got a whole bunch of blue driders from the east. Apparently from Al-Thuzad... Neeever heard of it, but it sounds nasty if they're, uh... selling your sisters. But, they are trained from birth to be the "perfect companion for all needs an owner would want"... oh ew. Uh, anyway, this scroll here says that they'll be bringing in more soon, apparently they have some way to produce them? But they 'ain't clones, so...
Wait, I though you said your mom was dead?

...I never even met- your talk in interrupted by another hacking cough. Some more blood, but what does it matter at this point.
Never met my mother.
Abandoning your children? Sickening.
Hey, it's just p-part of her na-nature. you can barely choke the words out through your gasps for air.
It is natural for driders to disregard life that isn't theirs, and here you are choking on your own blood and bearing scars of honor for the sake of a girl you hardly know. It is natural for women to stay at home, but here I am as a fighter. Nature does not define anybody, Lioness.
You decide not to get into philosophy as you're coughing up pieces of your lungs. They're trying to distract you, of course. It's a decent tactic, but you're too tired to listen and talking only seems to aggravate things. You decide to let them ramble a bit as you doze off.
Rescue comes soon enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say, I'm proud of your actions. The headmaster says, with the care to not shout while you're in the hospital. Apparently, the city has large centralized buildings just for the sake of healing. Progressive!
But risking your life is not something a student should ever do, especially one so young! You may only be in your... fifties or so, but as a drider you have far more years to g- Seventeen. I'm seventeen years old.
The headmaster is taken aback for a moment. He quickly recovers, at least.
Then my point stands, stronger than before! Goodness... Only seventeen years of age, and you have enough scars for a lifetime! I had heard of your adventures, but I assumed... Hm. It doesn't matter, ultimately. You were holding on to some documents, and what lies inside is disturbing, but I must insist that you do not search for this place.
What?
Al-Thuzad is a city owned by a powerful man in the east. If he has found a way to mass-produce driders, then that is too bad. There is nothing you can do about this, and I would prefer if you were to finish your education. Your teacher speaks very highly of you in her reports, and from what I saw in the crusader test I see it is not ungrounded. So, I implore you. Finish your education. I guarantee you, Al-Thuzad will be there at the end of it.

Take the documents.
While you won't be going after it quite yet, you want to keep a very close eye on any developments surrounding your... "sisters".

Give the documents
While it is most certainly a problem, it's just not YOUR problem. If it comes down to it, people may ask for you, but you won't put in more energy.

No requests
Nobody will even say a word of this to you anymore. You need to focus on your education, and you don't care what some creep is doing in the east.

This is the end of the current arc. The above will decide how often they will be looked into during the timeskip. They are in order from most to least.
On that note, if you want to request a short story of some sort, now's the time.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 10, 2017, 05:37:43 pm »

Well it certainly would be nice to stop risking our life, but well, we try to make the most of it. When life gives you death-traps, make Batman gambits!(more like Xanatos gambits, but the link between Batman and deathtraps is too strong...)

Give the documents. No doubt someone out there will find this objectionable and we really really aren't in a position to deal with it. Ugh, this is going to make Queen more difficult. It really REALLY doesn't suit to have a bunch of look-a-likes as slaves, and if they are related to us then the insult is just worse. Not to mention that driders in general should be feared and respected, not mass-produced fodder. We really need to do something to reconcile Queen. She isn't really bad, just a bit self-obsessed, and carniverous, and cannibalistic, although does it count as cannibalism if you are in that weird magical-creature situation of definitely being a different species, but that species is sort-of kind-of maybe-a-little actually legitimately a human mixed with a spider? Normal people have that whole "evolution" thing to sort this stuff out with, "evilution" is not so open and consistent about things... At least I don't think that autocannibalism counts, probably... Anyway, there must be some way that we can mollify Queen without becoming a religious figure or eating people. Or perhaps we can eat bad people... No, no, that would be naughty, and gross. And the local outlaws seem too organised for vigilantism to work. But for now, we have more important things to do than destroy empires, like improving our necromancy and accumulating vast and terrible powers.

It would be nice to hear how Meandra is doing. There might be parallels to Sydney being in hospital and Meandra's time as a patient, and we still don't know if her scars could be recovered. Do we?

Also a drider visits the drider spa could be a nice change of pace. drider sisters being drider sisters is something that we really haven't seen much of.
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:44 pm »

Hand over the documents
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 11, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »

So, you understand when I say we can't heal these wounds right away?
I...I guess. But can't you put a charm over it or something, so i don't have to... look at them?
The teacher tsks to herself. It's clear that she pities Meandra, but it's just such a pitiable thing. A hatred for your own body is quite common with mutilations, but it always hurts when you have to see it.
When was the last time you've looked at yourself in the mirror?
What does that have to do with this?!
Answer the question, please. Come now, this is doctor-patient confidentiality.
...Six months. Last time I did I... I panicked. I covered the mirror with moss and... let it stay there.
I'm very glad you told me this, Meandra. Now, we need to talk about this. You must learn to accept your body as it is, blemishes and all.
B-but I look hideous! All those gnarled wounds and... ugh. I used to be so pretty, and now...
It's perfectly normal to feel like this. And I have to emphasize, you're still a beautiful young lady, scars and all. Take them as a mark of pride, perhaps. To show you can live past great hardships.
Meandra doesn't answer to this. She just looks to the floor with a mix of emotions. She doesn't even know how she feels right now, honestly. It seems really dumb when you just say out loud you're afraid to look at your own body, but...
Just the idea of looking at those massive lumps of scar tissue across her body makes her shudder.

Listen. I'm happy to have a few more talks about this sort of thing, but you'd be best off talking to your friends about this. In this day and age, it wouldn't surprise me if another person you know has to deal with... unfortunate memories of some sort. That crusader friend of yours, I believe? She seemed like a rough sort, perhaps she could...
I'll think about it. I'll just be leaving now, I guess. When's the next appointment?
Next month. We'll be able to work away a bit more of the scar tissue, and remove the current magical energy with a more accepting one. We'll see you then.
 Could you be a dear and call in the next person, please? I have to talk about the exams for some.

Right.
Meandra does as asked, of course, and a shaky, pale student walks in. He looks as though he's been crying. Seems like medical exams are absolute hell here, which DOES make sense. Still, with that visit out of the way, Meandra has another full day to herself again, in these stuffy, but non-revealing robed.

She knows the doctor has a point, of course. There's hardly even a point to feel that ashamed over something you can't do anything about, but still...
It hurts. Just to look at it gives a feeling of loss. But fortunately, you know just the person to ask about scars and how to deal with it. The single strongest person you know of!
A short walk later, she stands in front of the door, and she gives it a quick rap of the knuckles. She managed to regain her good spirits on the way here, now that she has something to look forward to. It sucks talking about the scars, but you can't let it keep you down, of course. Just... Have a talk with her, and maybe go do something fun, right after! It doesn't take long before she opens her door, her dead eye looking straight ahead and many scars dotting her body. A few fresh ones are visible on her, since the slavery incident.
Oh! H-hey Meandra. Sorry, I had a pretty rough night. Insomnia, you know how it is.
She just got out of the hospital with a shredded lung while she was saving a whole slave ring, and she's sorry she looks a bit tired. God she is just so COOL, Meandra thought to herself.
If Sydney can't help her, nobody can!
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 11, 2017, 05:45:23 pm »

So, a rough equivalency would be 100 human years to 2000 drider years? Not particularly exact in my estimation, but the numbers are easy to work with... So, 17 would be... .85? Or about 10 months? Poor little baby drider... It does lead to some interesting theories about Queen given that she seems to be our more "dridery" aspects...

I wonder if we can get an eye that is compatible with Graft. Hrmm, graft is so expensive, about the only use I can think of for it is to hold a limb together as it gets mangled. Or maybe we could stick a giant-lobster's 5-metre-long claw onto our leg-stump and swing it around for a bit? Or maybe we can stick Pegasus' wings onto our lower-back and fly for a few seconds, even though we don't normally have that limb? With so many limb-attachments, Graft would be a great spell for us, if we could just get the cost down...

It is nice to see Meandra again. It seems that her treatment is successful and she will make a full recovery eventually. Her versatility and power with plants seemed excellent, so she should be doing well in her studies if she can focus. So really, things are looking pretty good for her once she endures this rough patch. Can she grow her own tea?
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 12, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »

They. Will. Pay.
Alibert repeated the mantra to himself as the club struck him again, and again. "He is but an old man, why not have a bit of fun?" The strikes left a burning pain as her flesh gives way and marks begin to show.
They. Will. Pay.
He doesn't even say it anymore, his teeth too broken to talk. His mouth too full of blood. His resolve comes from nothing but rage, but he will bottle it. He will play the part of an old, crippled man who can't do a thing. All he thinks about is their names. Every errand slip of the tongue as they beat him. "Spider" is the name of the one beating him. He works alongside "Bear", but they slipped up. Called him Mestidus. Uncommon name. Easy to find. Just need to track and destroy. Then move on to his friends. His family.
They. Will. Pay.
The club does not hurt anymore. No more than the existing pain, at any rate. Just dull thuds against his battered body as buzzing seems to fill his mind. He can't faint yet. There is yet more to discover. It takes all his resolve to keep himself conscious. Then it comes, the payoff. Another runs in, and says that "Forest Master" wants to leave before the guards get here. Bear calls the messenger "Crow", and leaves with him. Spider drops the club next to Aliberts broken body, and laughs as he runs off. A telltale high pitch shows him to be young. His family will either help bring him to justice, or they will be a start on the way to revenge.
They. Will. Pay

He doesn't remember how long it's been since he fainted. Long enough for the inn to finish burning, and the town with it.
Is this what his daughter sacrificed herself for? Not even a year before it's burned down, and it's inhabitants killed. A day after the extra guards left. This has left his daughter marked for some unholy abomination, and battered and bruised. Left insane, at the mercy of some horrid thing. For the sake of this damned town, he couldn't bear to be with his daughter. And now it's nothing but ruins. Most of the townsfolk put to the sword, burned alive... They took the women.
They will all pay.
The guards are arriving now, from the priest that managed to escape. The only one close enough to the escape tunnel to use it. Just a visitor to the town, and he survives. "Is there no justice?" Alibert wondered to himself. Of course, he quickly corrected himself. Of course not. There was never justice on it's own.
He'd have to bring it himself.

His body is broken and battered, but still he crawls to the town center. It's an agonizing journey, his bad leg feeling like it might split in half, but he reaches his goal. As he thought he saw, here it is: A list. A simple scrap of paper, showing the time the guards will leave. It's quick, sloppy handwriting, but it will be enough. He hears a shout coming from next to him, finally. The guards have arrived, and they are glad to see a survivor, at least. Spider's club still rests on his back, taken with him. He crumples up the paper, and hides it in his hand. As the guards put him on a hospice, to be treated by their medic on the way to the city, he knows the first part is complete. "Survive the assult". Now he needs to heal, and once he's able, he will begin his revenge.
His list is already being made. As the medic works, he uses the non-broken hand to write the list. Like any bounty he ever hunted, their only escape will be death.
He can't wait to get started.
They. Will. Pay.
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 12, 2017, 05:32:17 pm »

Oh dear, that is not very good at all. I imagine that Sydney would share many of Alibert's thoughts, and Queen doubly so(although perhaps with a bit of an accent. Some high-pitched emphasis here and there. possibly hanging on some of the vowels, replacing "they" with "those" and "pay" with "have their flesh removed in strips over hours by the animated corpses of their most cherished people" except not so much as a vocalisation as with a practical demonstration. I expect her accent is a bit odd like that...).

Well, let's think. The uncle should have been off doing things. The healer would be in Orclandia. many of the people who she interacted with were visitors to the inn, so she was not as dependent as most on townsfolk for socialisation. That leaves the girlfriends who I recall as a sort of amorphous blob, and that boyfriend, who ended up largely forgotten and overlooked, but they were all probably much more important to Sydney than they are to the readership. And then there are all the people who were quite decent and picked themselves up after Sydney started making nice hammocks. And then there is the thing where all her miseries started with, well, they started with her getting stabbed, but mostly they started with her sacrificing herself for the town, which will bring a measure of futility to the whole "joined bandits for a good cause" thing. Rat queen should still be fine though!

Spoiler: list (click to show/hide)
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 13, 2017, 04:09:54 pm »

Yunikki hadn't felt this excited since... forever, really. She didn't have a whole lot of things to look forward to that could ever even compare to this. The ultimate honor, the actual endpoint of what he spent the last ten months on. Everything there is to know in fighting undead, the holy banner, and the prayer. All this for the final ceremony where one goes from apprentice to proper crusader. Ultimately, it wasn't even that hard to believe their god. He has many good points, and is a very freedom-oriented god to begin with. A God of war and rage, yes, but also of justice and protection. He seeks to protect a world that is not technically His, and that alone resonates so wonderfully with anyone who wishes to defend the defenseless.
Or just wants a good fitness program, hey, different strokes for different folks.

The shrine is a very modest affair, but the twenty highest-ranking crusaders are here. They flank the red carpet that leads to the priest, who is positively beaming with happiness. It's been far too long since he was able to advance another holy fighter. Yunikki proudly walks down the red carpet, as the crusaders draw their sword and raise it high. For every one that she passes, they place the sword against the ground and kneel. They begin praying for the newest sister in their midst, and another stalwart companion against the encroaching dark. The priest begins to speak of the legend of the crusaders, in how their crusade prevented a wave of terror, and brought the world together as one for the first time since the sentient alliance. Then, he speaks praises of the power of the crusaders, and when Yunikki finally reaches the end of the red carpet, and all the crusaders are kneeling in prayer, he sings the praises upon the newest member in their midst. She has endured valiantly in her training, and now she may call the crusaders brothers and sisters. She kneels, only barely containing her sheer joy at this great honor. She offers her sword to the priest, who takes it with great care. The container of holy water next to him seems to glow with anticipation as he speaks the holy words, asking Him for the righteous fire, and dips the blade in the container. Instantly, the water bubbles and chimes as the simple blade is forever transformed into a weapon for justice.
And doing naughty things to the undead's backsides.

The crusaders stand as Yunikki is handed her blade. Markings have appeared on the hilt, and the blade now bears holy scripture, embedded in the middle. Yunikki's brothers cheer, and call out her new titles. Sister Of The East! The Forgiven Sinner! Sister of Battle!
She especially liked the first one. The ceremony ends when the water that emboldened her sword is poured over her head, so she herself may be cleansed. It is little more than water to her, but the significance is clear. She has been reborn as a soldier for the cause.
Now she can look into some more advanced training, as well. If she can fast for forty days and forty nights, living only off water and prayer, she may even begin Paladin training.
Of course, that comes only after she takes the advanced training, which lasts another year and is renowned for its brutality.
Yunikki can take it.
She hopes.
Neat stuff I do:

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 13, 2017, 04:22:11 pm »

Run comment.exe
Process abort: Error in file "think.com".
Run pray.exe
"Oh great lurkers beyond, please grant unto us your wisdom."
Read the First Post!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 13, 2017, 04:48:58 pm »

Command not recognized: "Oh"
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:07 am »

Run comment.exe
Process abort: Error in file "think.com".
Run pray.exe
"Oh great lurkers beyond, please grant unto us your wisdom."

From the realm far beyond human clutches and understanding, where to glimpse upon even the smallest grain of sand is enough to reveal secrets and wonders about the universe and the poor beholder, shortly before the mind will shut itself down  in a futile attempt to resist the torrent of information and knowledge,  and the horror those things would bring upon the world. A place that cannot be called horrible, not even comprehensible. It can't even be said that it exists, nor that it does not exist. There are no words or concepts in the human mind that could ever hope to come close to explaining this world beyond the barrier that is our juvenile incompetence and defense.
There, in that abyss of knowledge and secrets, the few creatures that are low enough to to even hear the mindless, simple drivel we call language turn their mishapen, perfect maws in the direction of the request. A thousand years have passed in the time that you have blinked, and in less time than that they have granted an answer to your misguided attempt at their wisdom. They open the seven mouths upon their carcass, and sing the song that ends our world. In this horrible , piercing droning shriek, the slightest hint of an idea launches itself forward across the veil into your unprepared and unworthy mind. Masked in white pallor, the noise is only barely visible to us, but still it will do. Your wisdom has been dispensed, at a horrible, inconceivably costly and pointless cost. the end of this new world, and the beginning of an old one dawns upon this universe, all in exchange for the apple of wisdom you have requested.
Wear sunscreen
Don't worry so much.
There is no shame in doing something that is beneath you.
The "truth" is ultimately just the most commonly held opinion
In the current economical climate, it would be wise to begin liquidizing your assets as the bubble of banker money is likely to pop.
Mistrust everything you are not allowed to judge

We pray it was worth it, and thus know that it was.
Neat stuff I do:
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 216