Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to deal with unkillable zombies?  (Read 1372 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to deal with unkillable zombies?
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:41:40 am »

I have an undead severed head that can't be killed. My whole fort is attacking it to no avail. How do I get rid of it before all my dwarves die of starvation due to fighting for too long?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: How to deal with unkillable zombies?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:48:20 am »

I have an undead severed head that can't be killed. My whole fort is attacking it to no avail. How do I get rid of it before all my dwarves die of starvation due to fighting for too long?

dfhack, or if you have spare dwarves, try to cave it in.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:06:55 am »

Is there a way I could just get my dwarves to ignore the head while I make a cage trap to capture it?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:40:21 am »

Is there a way I could just get my dwarves to ignore the head while I make a cage trap to capture it?
Sorry, but probably not.

Try a Civilian Alert; that MIGHT make them back down if they're not in the military. If not, pray for a migrant wave and dig a cave-in beneath it; line this hole with cage traps; and collapse them into it - ALL of them. Build surplus cage traps beneath there if you can, or just pray the head goes in one. Then, quickly release all caged dwarves, and try to give them all medical attention quickly enough to save most of them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 01:59:25 pm »

Your best chance, as StarWars1981 said, is to remove all the dorfs involved from the militia and enable a civilian alert after you've built a cage trap. If you're lucky the dorfs will file out and the head will follow, ending up in the trap.

A cave-in to smash all the combatants (who didn't leave) is also a possibility (you'd usually have to smash through the roof, since any diggers are likely to join the fray otherwise.

With DFHack I use "exterminate him/her" as I consider the unkillability to be a bug.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:57:56 pm »

I've had some success with dogs killing skin, but that might not work here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:27:54 pm »

I've had some success with dogs killing skin, but that might not work here.
Regular skin is not a problem. The problem is with heads, head skin, and head hair. All of those are (almost?) impossible to kill because most hits just pass straight through, while the rest produce a useless bruise. Dogs might actually make the problem worse, as dorfs may join the fray to help the dogs...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »

Killing?

you cage trap hallways to butchers shops to stop this mess.   Cage traps are your friends.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:53:36 pm »

magma?
last time i checked if its made of flesh, it will die by magma
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 09:47:43 pm »

magma?
last time i checked if its made of flesh, it will die by magma

Zombie skins and zombie feathers can survive being dropped into a volcano. They sit on the SMR still alive burning and smoking for years, probably forever. Occasionally they startle the magma crabs.

Cave-ins and atom-smashing work. Obsidian and ice probably work but I haven't tested that.

Setting a civilian alert that doesn't include the zombie skin will get your military away from it, but Armok help you if a visiting poet starts attacking it because they ignore burrows. Properly controlled and isolated skins make great training dummies.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 02:07:34 am »

Mhm. With the limb twisting in 43.04, might be interesting way to train unusual skills.

A: Assign wheelbarrows to toy stockpile, have children "accidentally" meet the head hair zombie when putting toys away, hit/parry it with wheelbarrow, then drop/sweep into traps and have the child mood too legendary miner instead of woodcrafter.

(Alternate way would be using large pots for booze, perhaps, but timing on that would be tight).

B: Perhaps see if you can get dwarf to wield misc. object (like adamantine giant axe blade) into combat after fighting long enough with it to grow attached.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 03:44:13 am »

Kids don't seem to put away toys. Adults collect toys dropped by kids and put the toys back in the stockpiles from where the kids spread them out again, just like real kids do. However, a QS dropping the toys down to a stockpile one level below where the hair is would probably get the kids to go there. I wouldn't bet anything on the ability to extract the kids before they thirst to death, though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 03:55:20 am »

(OOC: The kid with “Store Item in Bin” is actually putting a toy axe away.  I didn’t know they did that.  I thought they just left them lying around for someone else to trip over.)
I've seen it happen with no-bin toypiles as well, though I've yet to test if they'd pick up any wheelbarrows for storage.

As for extracting kids, just make them fight on top of a bridge with cage traps below like Staalo did, or use water flow to push them both onto a cage trap.