Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Question about Nobles. (Confused new player)  (Read 4540 times)

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
Re: Question about Nobles. (Confused new player)
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2016, 02:03:46 am »

If you're lucky enough to have significant quantities of jet on your map, you can actually use that to craft stoneware pots at a craftdwarf shop, and the resulting pots will be a bit lighter than earthenware.

Also, don't forget that pots made from fire clay (stoneware) are significantly heavier than pots made from normal clay (earthenware); the trade off is that you need to glaze earthenware with ash before you store liquids in it.

Honestly, I just make most of my pots out of green glass. Sand is abundant, it gets hauled faster as opposed to clay boulders, and, as long as I place my food stockpiles and production areas in such a way that most pots don't need to move farther then 15 tiles, things seem to go pretty smoothly.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 03:50:50 am »

Well, even slade large pot would weight just 1000 urists and steel one 39 urists - both of these will slow down a dwarf, but a stone block is heavier than a stone pot. I personally consider the rule to be "as long as it isn't metal it won't really make them crawl", though that has few exceptions (native ores and cobaltite, mostly).

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 08:08:22 am »

If you're lucky enough to have significant quantities of jet on your map, you can actually use that to craft stoneware pots at a craftdwarf shop, and the resulting pots will be a bit lighter than earthenware.

Also, don't forget that pots made from fire clay (stoneware) are significantly heavier than pots made from normal clay (earthenware); the trade off is that you need to glaze earthenware with ash before you store liquids in it.

Honestly, I just make most of my pots out of green glass. Sand is abundant, it gets hauled faster as opposed to clay boulders, and, as long as I place my food stockpiles and production areas in such a way that most pots don't need to move farther then 15 tiles, things seem to go pretty smoothly.
Pretty much all I seem to have is basalt, marble, fireclay, sand, magma and water, I guess I could make obsidian pots, but that seems like a lot of work to build pots.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2016, 08:13:39 am »

You probably also have wood, and perhaps at least 1 metal. Though even the lightest metals aren't best spent on large pots, the wood should be plentiful enough for domestic purposes even with just cavern trees.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 10:34:55 am »

You probably also have wood, and perhaps at least 1 metal. Though even the lightest metals aren't best spent on large pots, the wood should be plentiful enough for domestic purposes even with just cavern trees.
True, featherwood and such surface woods (good savage tropical rainforest i think it was, so there is a lot of wood around) and limited iron too, well, and a couple of adamantine spires, but im not touching that until my fortress is properly defended by extremely lethal traps and fully steel armed dwarves at minimum, and im not going to waste that on pots and bins, im sure there is probably more ore around, but im resisting the urge to use reveal and find all the goodies, as for underground wood, only fire lives in my caverns right now, once that's over with i can get at that wood again. Somehow wooden pots never occurred to me, i figured that was just a barrel.

Edit: I actually have a question on my initial topic of Nobles too, if i get a hammerer, and give them an adamantine hammer, will that still satisfy the requirements of beating "criminals" up/killing with a hammer? Or will they just keep sitting there beating on the dwarf with a useless hammer? I got my fortress guards all feather wood crossbows for same reason, any beating will be more or less harmless, but it still shoots bolts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:52:24 am by Weizen1988 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2016, 01:15:38 pm »

Well, there is a reason to pick barrels over pots - for standard wood, you go from 4 urist to 12, but train up your carpenter (relatively more useful labor doing important things like shields) rather than woodcrafter.

That said, more important consideration than who gets exp could be you like the look of more (when making from wood, at least). I find pots blend more into surrounding stockpile tiles with black background.

As far as hammering goes, iirc wiki does suggest that(link) - however, I'd guess that wouldn't decrease the lethality of bare-handed beatings. I've so far managed to avoid any dwarf on dwarf punishment, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]