Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think I just killed off the Mountainhomes and doomed us all....  (Read 1406 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

The dwarf caravan was leaving when were-capybara attacked. The werebeast went through the carts and outriders like a knife through hot butter, and at least three caravan dorfs got bit. The caravan promptly left. The werebeast is dead.  My dorfsoldiers didn't get bitten, they're wearing steel armour and carrying steel weapons, no one from my fort was even injured.

....so... Should I be concerned about the phases of the moon when they get back next Autumn? Or will the Mountainhomes have a cure? Or did that infection just kill off my entire kingdom other than our little fort?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I just killed off the Mountainhomes and doomed us all....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »

Maybe.
But killing all the merchants usually don't harm the mountainhome, so it is not a big problem.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:29:25 pm »

Maybe.
But killing all the merchants usually don't harm the mountainhome, so it is not a big problem.
I think that's the problem. Some of them made it out alive.
Merchants are pretty old code that's not tracked properly so, possibly, you should be OK.

Be very careful when they come back next Autumn though.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:18:41 pm »

There was a thread a while back about intentionally trying to infect visitors as werebeasts.  The person who was trying it found that the infection would not spread outside his fortress.  So I think you're safe.  Which is a bit unfortunate in some ways (it would be cool if something that dramatic could happen).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:43:55 am »

Logically, it should also be a question of how long it takes the caravan to return. If it takes longer than a month those infected SHOULD rip the rest of the caravan to shreds and the weres should flee out into the wilderness, naked and confused.
As others have said, that probably doesn't happen, but trying to recognize any returning caravaneers the next year would probably we wise, as would the construction of caravan infection purging means for the next year. I'd probably lock the trade depot up with the population under civilian alert over the transformation period, and be prepared to activate suitable machinery for the elimination of any survivors if there is an outbreak (as the survivors ought to be the weres).

I agree with mikekchar that it would be cool if it was possible for the feared events to be carried out, though.

A suitable question is whether off site weres still continue to infect new sapients after world activation, or whether that part hasn't been activated yet. Seeing a Legends Mode entry where an off site sapient gets infected after world activation would prove it.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:51:25 pm »

I think weres are from the "void", if they roamed free they would quickly infect everything or kill them all off.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:52 pm »

Don't have any evidence post world activation, but it seems as though there is some logic to how the weres operate.  I have a world where the royal line of a civilization got infected.  The king was killed and his children infected.  The children wandered off into lairs.  One child came back and attacked the capital again, killing the next king and infecting *his* children.  So now the world is full of werebeast lairs with noble blood.  After world activation, I notice there is still one royal child who has a lair of his own and is only 2 years old :-P.  I haven't actually started up a game in that world, only read the legends.

It would be interesting to start up a fortress and see what happened.  BTW, I started this world with very low savagery and very low beasts and I suspect that's why the werebeasts took over the world.  I was going to use it for a simple tutorial and wanted a super easy world, but got this instead :-)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:37:19 pm »

My fort contains a complex werebeast containment and experimentation facility.

You guys can be doomed if you want.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »

My fort contains a complex werebeast containment and experimentation facility.

You guys can be doomed if you want.

So, did you go for the dwarf enrichment route, or you finally got the goblins and trolls cursed?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.