Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.  (Read 5528 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 06:26:19 pm »

I'm kind of embarrassed to play Touhou Project games at school during lunch and before school, but I still do it anyways, so that's kinda half ish?

Also the various webcomics I read, including TwoKinds (mentioned earlier), Sinfest, and Slightly Damned.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 08:28:36 pm »

Let's see...

I like Hard Style even though I know it's entirely repetitive noise music.

I like Path of Exile even though I think it's generally considered an aRPG for wonks and makes a mockery of your social life.

Another is probably when I go into a Strange Mood and put autistic levels of effort into an art project, a writing project, a game project, etc...I basically shun all social contact for about a week and just live in my own headspace. It's a guilty pleasure because when I emerge disheveled from such a project, people tend to look at me a little funny. It was especially bad when I was into making terrain for 40k. I'd be like "Check out this bunker I just lavished 20 hours on! Didn't even go to sleep!" And people would be like "Ok.....*edges away*."

Actually I could probably just put making terrain for table top war games by itself.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 08:34:41 pm »

Ach, how mean. Hardstyle isn't noise music* at all. I've been tricked :-\

*Warning: Actual noise music.
E: Secondary warning: That no-joke deserves a warning. Probably keep the volume low-ish if you do follow the link.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:40:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 08:45:04 pm »

Bluegrass, and older country. When I try to share my love for it people mostly just crack jokes about how red my neck is, and if I just say I like country people think I mean bullshit like this. So I enjoy it in private.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 08:56:20 pm »

Let's be real though. When you're repeating the same electronic discord sound for 30 seconds accompanied by a high hat, it's barely qualifies as music. And yet I loves it sometimes (typically when I'm angry.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 09:03:35 pm »

Fanfics. CatRat is my favourite. I dislike the totally unbelievable shipping ones, but I don't mind a ship here or there. Of course, the one time I mentioned it to people, they looked at me weird, so I guess most people's idea of fanfic borders on erotic manga in terms of social acceptability.

I mean, of course! I enter a thread that explicitly says "nothing sexual" and I immediately start mentioning sexual stuff, albeit indirectly - why wouldn't I?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 10:09:23 pm »

Let's be real though. When you're repeating the same electronic discord sound for 30 seconds accompanied by a high hat, it's barely qualifies as music. And yet I loves it sometimes (typically when I'm angry.)
I think the appeal is in pareidolia (assuming we're talking about noise music) - it sounds like a tasty muskrat rustling in the bushes, or a cloud being chased across the sky by an army of crystal knives, or a tree that's learning how to scream in UTF-16. Imagination.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:16 pm »

... not in my case. I just like the way it sounds. Relaxing, kinda' like ocean waves on a beach. Just. By way of mass murder of industrial equipment. Slaughter of the machines. Along those lines. It's nice.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 10:20:38 pm »

It sounds like a dying robot. Quite soothing for the bloodmachinesoul.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 10:52:11 pm »

Bluegrass, and older country. When I try to share my love for it people mostly just crack jokes about how red my neck is, and if I just say I like country people think I mean bullshit like this. So I enjoy it in private.
Wow, that is pretty awful. And I'm pretty sure it was about to get even worse. I'll probably be scrubbing traces of it out of my YT suggestions for weeks.

Still, I like country, though. Mostly older or old-school musicians, although with a lot of them some of their music is great and some of it will buy into occasional trends in the genre, like really annoying guitar effects and that sort of thing. But when done right, country is great.
Willie Nelson's a jackass but at least people are still making good country. RIP Merle. I also wish country music was less universally-maligned around here. :-\

And of course I am contractually obliged to like bluegrass.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 10:53:56 pm »

Does listening to classical music count as a guilty pleasure, or does that just make me a pretentious snob?

Of course, I say this listening to Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 2. Specifically a non-truncated version that also plays the loop in the first movement.
Depends a lot on the circles you run in. Bit on how generally exposed to the stuff the area is, too. But it can be the former. Less so the latter unless you are a pretentious snob about it. Folks generally seem to be fairly okay with someone that just likes a nice bit of classical, though, at least if the setting's right and they're not particularly exclusive about it.

... and not many people can rag too hard on stuff like the 1812. One of the most metal songs in existence, that -- not many bits of music out there can lay claim to using straight up artillery as a musical instrument. You know a performance just got real when the entirely literal cannons get rolled out.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 11:17:21 pm »

... not in my case. I just like the way it sounds. Relaxing, kinda' like ocean waves on a beach. Just. By way of mass murder of industrial equipment. Slaughter of the machines. Along those lines. It's nice.
I find myself getting a strange amount of enjoyment from the high-pitched feedback a lot of doom/sludge bands slather their music in.
Some of them include actual noise passages, too. Like Space Bong, most notably.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 11:18:31 pm »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 11:21:56 pm »

Wow, that is pretty awful. And I'm pretty sure it was about to get even worse. I'll probably be scrubbing traces of it out of my YT suggestions for weeks.

Still, I like country, though. Mostly older or old-school musicians, although with a lot of them some of their music is great and some of it will buy into occasional trends in the genre, like really annoying guitar effects and that sort of thing. But when done right, country is great.
Willie Nelson's a jackass but at least people are still making good country. RIP Merle. I also wish country music was less universally-maligned around here. :-\

And of course I am contractually obliged to like bluegrass.

Oldcountry can be good, although it's not my favorite. Newcountry on the popradios these days? An abomination unto my auditory system. KILL IT WITH FIRE.
Sigtext!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 11:46:15 pm »

I don't mind country musically, I just find the themes a bit repetitive. That's my fault for never really trying to listen to country music, but all the country I've heard sounds like cowboys moping about the non-specific "good ol' days".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5