Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Cory in the House the best anime ever?

Yes!
No!
What?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Everything forbidden, still getting "Item Inaccessible" spam  (Read 7322 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everything forbidden, still getting "Item Inaccessible" spam
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 12:09:58 pm »

Technically, there is a solution provided by the game: Make Urist no longer able to haul the sock.

I mean, even further not able. Like, by disabling hauling labors. Or using magma.

Works for burrow stockpile spam, at least, though, which is marginally more useful.
Again, you can disable the appropriate labor or forbid the item only if you can find the item causing the problem. Magma doesn't work as a solution since all the dorfs are to busy spamming to pull the lever (unless magma means DFHacking magma into existence).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »

I would think "Do it now" would take priority for job pick over picking up a tooth - And since dwarf is with "No Job", they'd go for the lever first.

As for the appropriate labour, I think only item hauling can cause this thing in such an extent? Workshop jobs seem like they'd just cancel once. or once re-added if manager order.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 06:20:49 pm »

Storing their worn socks is a hauling job that cannot be disabled...

(Well, you can remove their room so they have nowhere to store the junk).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 07:11:44 pm »

Point. Didn't occur to me, as when I ran Moonhome(first time running a generation fortress) I mostly planned things around military squads/dormitories or sometimes locking the door for alone time.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 10:20:48 am »

Again, you can disable the appropriate labor or forbid the item only if you can find the item causing the problem.

It took less than five minutes to diagnose the problem in OP's save using job details and confirm that d-b-f'ing the whole map resolved the issue. While the items in question may not always be as helpfully unique as named teeth, they would likely still indicate the type of labor and stockpile at fault. But even if the job details aren't helpful, d-b-f'ing the entire map is an easy solution that doesn't require actually finding the item. There are a few spammy jobs that can't be solved by bulk forbidding (e.g. fill bucket, load ballista, etc.), but the ones I'm aware of have distinct error messages, not just "item inaccessible".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:48 am »

Again, you can disable the appropriate labor or forbid the item only if you can find the item causing the problem.

It took less than five minutes to diagnose the problem in OP's save using job details and confirm that d-b-f'ing the whole map resolved the issue. While the items in question may not always be as helpfully unique as named teeth, they would likely still indicate the type of labor and stockpile at fault. But even if the job details aren't helpful, d-b-f'ing the entire map is an easy solution that doesn't require actually finding the item. There are a few spammy jobs that can't be solved by bulk forbidding (e.g. fill bucket, load ballista, etc.), but the ones I'm aware of have distinct error messages, not just "item inaccessible".
I agree bulk forbidding usually causes the spam to go away (while killing off all other activity as well). Using that and then reclaim the stuff on half of the map to find which half it resides on, then half of that, etc. (divide-and conquer) usually works to locate the problem, but it can be rather tedious, although it tends to get you there in the end.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 03:28:59 pm »

I agree bulk forbidding usually causes the spam to go away (while killing off all other activity as well). Using that and then reclaim the stuff on half of the map to find which half it resides on, then half of that, etc. (divide-and conquer) usually works to locate the problem, but it can be rather tedious, although it tends to get you there in the end.

Locating the problem is unnecessary. Just bulk-forbid the map, then bulk-reclaim the parts of the map you actually care about while avoiding known problem areas like tree-tops and unexplored caverns. It may not satisfy your need to understand what went wrong, but it does get rid of the spam with a minimum of disruption.
Pages: 1 2 [3]