Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Should California become its own nation?  (Read 14501 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Should California become its own nation?
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2016, 11:23:34 am »

Everybody knows that America only seceded because it didn't like paying taxes for the war waged on their soil to protect them from the French. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2016, 11:31:37 am »

I don't get that financial argument, California is one of those states that's a net contributor to the Federal budget.
IIRC, California had a debt of over $400 billion at the start of 2016.

Granted, compared to other states, that may not be much. I'm not privy to the exact numbers.

Which is 16% of Californian GDP. The US's debt is 71% of GDP.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2016, 12:13:56 pm »

I think a lot of people forget that, while you have the right to revolt, states have never ever had the right to secede from the Union of the United States (and in fact there was an 1869 supreme court decision in the aftermath of the civil war that explicitly stated that "the Confederate state government in Texas had no legal existence on the basis that the secession of Texas from the United States was illegal".

So there is no peaceful "we're leaving you", there's just outright rebellion instead which would be summarily crushed by the combined might of the US military. without even having to consider any of the aspects such as lack of water or resources.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2016, 12:17:52 pm »

I think a lot of people forget that, while you have the right to revolt, states have never ever had the right to secede from the Union of the United States (and in fact there was an 1869 supreme court decision in the aftermath of the civil war that explicitly stated that "the Confederate state government in Texas had no legal existence on the basis that the secession of Texas from the United States was illegal".

So there is no peaceful "we're leaving you", there's just outright rebellion instead which would be summarily crushed by the combined might of the US military. without even having to consider any of the aspects such as lack of water or resources.
What if Cali did it through international law though

also lol
Calls for secession are not new in California. There have been at least 200 such proposals since the state’s founding in 1850.
Not new

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2016, 12:26:10 pm »

What if Cali did it through international law though
International law does not grant sub-state entities a general right to secede from their parent states, nor does it prohibit secession.
Only exception allowing for a right to secede mentioned in that particular paper is the one based on the ability of groups who have their "right to self-determination" threatened through either extreme prejudice or something similar (which we haven't even begun to approach, regardless of how people may feel). And on the other hand, it's also possible to look at the international law on territorial integrity and view it as potentially facing against a right to secede.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »

Man, I wonder what would happen amongst the military if a modern-day civil war were to occur.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2016, 01:57:44 pm »

Man, I wonder what would happen amongst the military if a modern-day civil war were to occur.   

There would have to be a similar split among the military as there was during the Civil War.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2016, 02:00:49 pm »

I want this to be a serious thing just so I can start using the word "Califrexit" regularly.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2016, 02:05:15 pm »

I don't get that financial argument, California is one of those states that's a net contributor to the Federal budget.
IIRC, California had a debt of over $400 billion at the start of 2016.

Granted, compared to other states, that may not be much. I'm not privy to the exact numbers.

Which is 16% of Californian GDP. The US's debt is 71% of GDP.
It can only maintain that GDP due to its trade with the rest of the country. If for some reason California seceded and the US both didn't roflstomp them and kept Mexico from reclaiming it, they'd probably impose an extortionate tariff on all trade between the "NCR" and the rest of the country, pocketing it as an unthinkably high equivalent tax rate.

For the most part, if California were to secede, most of the NCR would rejoin the US. Best case scenario, most of the NE part would rejoin (Primarily Republican Voters). Worst case scenario, the majority of the NCR would leave except for LA, SF, SD, and the Bay area; which were heavily Democrat. Yay City-states!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2016, 02:27:10 pm »

I want this to be a serious thing just so I can start using the word "Califrexit" regularly.

I want people to stop gluing "exit" and "gate" to the end of things
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:25 pm »

This is Cali we're talking about here, it'd be 'Caliout' or some equal bit of nonsense.

(Stupid trivia, I was born in Fountain Valley.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »

This is Cali we're talking about here, it'd be 'Caliout' or some equal bit of nonsense.

(Stupid trivia, I was born in Fountain Valley.)

Isn't this just how Californian's say good-bye to their non-Californian friends under normal circumstances?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2016, 03:48:57 pm »

I'm disgusted that not a goddamn one of us suggested CalifragilisticexitcuzTrump'sAtrocious.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »

Super-Cali-fragile-exit-because-Trump's-atrocious.

(Um, are you really gonna vote for this guy?)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »

And I just found my new LCS slogan..
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17