Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nano Bots  (Read 2931 times)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nano Bots
« on: November 01, 2016, 12:46:30 pm »

I like to pretend my dwarves are actually tiny little nano machines that are designing complex microcircuitry out of a processor die and my job is to try to make them self sustainable.  The resources are stand ins for tiny nodes of trace molecules and the foreign invaders are trace amounts of bacteria from inside the clean room.  The little nano-dorfs make friends and establish a symbiotic relationship with some of the natural bacteria and occasionally you send in little resource pallettes contained inside buckyballs to the the "Trade Depot" molecular exchange matrice.

Is this interesting or am I just silly?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Nano Bots
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:15:56 pm »

both interesting and silly.

most people around here like to pretend that they are a blood hungry god named armok who is amused by torture, death, and suffering, and likes to mess with his creations in horrendous ways for his/her own amusement.

seeing another way of looking at something is always intresting
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 01:26:05 pm »

I love my dorfs, i can't help it.  I have a hard time organising militias and sending them out to fight and die.  I get too attached.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »

both interesting and silly.

most people around here like to pretend that they are a blood hungry god named armok who is amused by torture, death, and suffering, and likes to mess with his creations in horrendous ways for his/her own amusement.

seeing another way of looking at something is always intresting

MY dwarves are housed and treated each as noble kings. Most fortress projects are designed to significantly increase their quality of life before I utilize them in a horrific science experiment that will assuredly maim, kill, or curse them to a fate worse than death. Sometimes two out of the three, and in orders you might not expect.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 01:45:50 pm »

I believe there are several groups of DF player which are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and players can switch focus from one fortress to the next one:
- Torturers: Most of these probably primarily belong to other groups, but suffering is readily acceptable or desirable.
- Slaughterers: Send the dorfs out to slaughter as much as possible in various variants. Often mods are used to provide enough fodder to slaughter, as vanilla is a bit weak in that respect.
- Home builders: Build as nice a fortress you can, and try to keep the dorfs as safe and happy as you can.
- Mega project makers.
- Mechanics investigators.
- Challengers: Set up various challenges and see if you can succeed. Can also be a competition to reach a goal as quickly as possible.
- Interior decorators: Design the fortress to perfection using engravings and carefully selected materials as well as furniture of only the best quality.
- Story generators: Play a lot of fortresses in the same world(s) to shape it and view the legends generated. This group can also develop intricate stories about their dorfs.
- Winners: They quickly leave when they realize there is no "You've Won" screen... Some may stay after converting to other groups, of course.

And yes, I avoid sending my dorfs into harms way as well, using mechanical defenses instead.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »

I believe there are several groups of DF player which are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and players can switch focus from one fortress to the next one:
- Torturers: Most of these probably primarily belong to other groups, but suffering is readily acceptable or desirable.
- Slaughterers: Send the dorfs out to slaughter as much as possible in various variants. Often mods are used to provide enough fodder to slaughter, as vanilla is a bit weak in that respect.
- Home builders: Build as nice a fortress you can, and try to keep the dorfs as safe and happy as you can.
- Mega project makers.
- Mechanics investigators.
- Challengers: Set up various challenges and see if you can succeed. Can also be a competition to reach a goal as quickly as possible.
- Interior decorators: Design the fortress to perfection using engravings and carefully selected materials as well as furniture of only the best quality.
- Story generators: Play a lot of fortresses in the same world(s) to shape it and view the legends generated. This group can also develop intricate stories about their dorfs.
- Winners: They quickly leave when they realize there is no "You've Won" screen... Some may stay after converting to other groups, of course.

And yes, I avoid sending my dorfs into harms way as well, using mechanical defenses instead.

hmm, i think i would fall into the home builder and interior decorator category, although ive recently discovered a liking for near death experiences involving unexpected company.
also there is kinda a "you win" in df, its when your fort is so perfect that it plays without your interaction for 300 years and it still hasnt descended into madness.

ive seen only one such fort though: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156319.msg6814181#msg6814181

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »

I think challengers and winners are pretty similar groups :P

With how plentiful migrants are, I must admit I do value my less important dwarves a fair bit more than what is reasonable given the cost to obtain new ones (just waiting can certainly cost less time per dwarf than it takes to save one).

As for Archcrystal, while Sethatos does play the fort, I suppose that means you might enjoy running a generational fort at least once, perhaps from dead civ :) Would go well with decoration/quality of life style, I guess.

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 03:01:53 pm »

Another problem I tend to have is that all my dwarves tend to get really chummy with each other.  Back when the old happiness system was still in effect, i lost one dwarf in an ambush, who ended up causing a tantrum spiral that brought down the whole fort.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 05:24:31 pm »

The new needs system apparently makes it very hard to generate tantrum spirals (I've never seen one, but I want to avoid them).
One think you can do to increase the death rate is to staff your tavern with a generous number of performers/tavern keepers and give your dorfs a lot of time off, as that promotes death by alcohol poisoning and lethal "non lethal" brawling. Apparently, however, the actual efficiency of that varies greatly, since there are some forumites who appear to believe this is just a false rumor.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »

The new needs system apparently makes it very hard to generate tantrum spirals (I've never seen one, but I want to avoid them).
One think you can do to increase the death rate is to staff your tavern with a generous number of performers/tavern keepers and give your dorfs a lot of time off, as that promotes death by alcohol poisoning and lethal "non lethal" brawling. Apparently, however, the actual efficiency of that varies greatly, since there are some forumites who appear to believe this is just a false rumor.

firstly, dwarves have a very hard time of dying from alcohol poisoning, i once read in the raws that they have a rather large resistance to alcohol, so i doubt its possible for one to die from drinking too much.
secondly, bar fights danger usually varies based on whether or not theres a lot of military/mercenaries in there, because they will cause the fight to escalate due to their weapons. also the individuals tendencies to get mad in general

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 02:44:11 am »

I've had a number of dorfs die from alcohol poisoning, and I've tried to observe them to see if particular traits make them more susceptible, but I've failed to find any correlation. Dorfs who had just below average recuperation and/or disease resistance have died, for instance. Killing by alcohol is usually not instant (I haven't had much experience with goblin killing, though), but rather a process of getting lung damage, rise, getting a new cup of booze shoved down the throat, go unconscious, recover, stumble away, come back, get poisoned again before the previous damage is healed, and then die. It doesn't exactly help that death reporting is wonky: frequently dorfs are reported dead only after their corpses have been hauled to the corpse stockpile by someone who apparently didn't see what was hauled.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 02:55:02 am »

I think those who want more unhappy dwarves increase stress propensity, but it doesn't have the bipolar temperament of old emotion system; they're just more unhappier on average as I understand it.
firstly, dwarves have a very hard time of dying from alcohol poisoning, i once read in the raws that they have a rather large resistance to alcohol, so i doubt its possible for one to die from drinking too much.
This has come up before. Yes it does happen. Have a save as proof it is possible.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:56:40 am by Fleeting Frames »

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:03 am »

I think those who want more unhappy dwarves increase stress propensity, but it doesn't have the bipolar temperament of old emotion system; they're just more unhappier on average as I understand it.
This has come up before. Yes it does happen. Have a save as proof it is possible.

notice the health screen, their lungs are blue, which means they have lost most of their function. the dwarf dies of suffocation.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 09:42:40 am »

That's how alcohol poisoning kills, yes. It simulates them drowning in puke.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 10:28:21 am »

That's how alcohol poisoning kills, yes. It simulates them drowning in puke.

oh, well ive heard of plenty of dwarves dying by drowing in their vomit. didnt realize that THATS what alcohol poisoning was in this game

Pages: [1] 2