Athiest
- 35 (47.9%)
Undecided
- 1 (1.4%)
Agnostic
- 10 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: Religion discussion.  (Read 71388 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Religion discussion.
« Reply #330 on: May 09, 2017, 04:34:55 am »

There is no Protestant/Catholic divide in Ireland. Or, more specifically, the Republic of Ireland in which the law exists.

It was explained to me that the Protestants were all passive-aggressively expelled from the South, though I don't know the truth of that. Regardless, less than five percent of people in the Republic are Protestant.

Edit: A quick skim of wikipedia reveals that hearsay is, on this occasion, correct. Passive aggressiveness it was, though other factors as well.

My village has no less than three churches,one catholic, one methodist, and one protestant, and they're all full every sunday.
We've got four churches if you count the ruined one outside of town.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 09, 2017, 06:35:57 am »

*Shrug*

One village is a drop in the pond.

Edit: Also, given that's the case, you're probably a fellow Ulsterman, right? Or pretty darn close.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:08:15 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:46 am »

There is no Protestant/Catholic divide in Ireland. Or, more specifically, the Republic of Ireland in which the law exists.

It was explained to me that the Protestants were all passive-aggressively expelled from the South, though I don't know the truth of that. Regardless, less than five percent of people in the Republic are Protestant.

Edit: A quick skim of wikipedia reveals that hearsay is, on this occasion, correct. Passive aggressiveness it was, though other factors as well.

Isn't the Protestant/Catholic divide the reason (well, one of them anyway) North Ireland is a thing? Though I've heard that North Ireland is actually becoming more Catholic.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2017, 09:33:35 am »

Catholic families tend to be larger than Protestant ones, so they're being outbred so to speak :P

And in my opinion, everyone overstates the importance of religion in the divide. Northern Ireland stayed in the union because of culture, economics and, as a third, religion. The Republic left because of culture, historic and present abuse of native Irish (including political issues), and as a third religion. This is a rather broad statement on my part, though.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Northern Ireland. As my last post began, "there is no Protestant/Catholic divide in Ireland. Or, more specifically, the Republic of Ireland in which the law exists." You know, the whole separate countries, separate government thing, hehe.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:37:15 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 17, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »

*Shrug*

One village is a drop in the pond.

Edit: Also, given that's the case, you're probably a fellow Ulsterman, right? Or pretty darn close.
No, Munster. Sorry 'bout that.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 17, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »

""

Weird, you have an enthralling perspective on this subject. May I share your story, crediting you, with some associates of mine?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 17, 2017, 11:52:16 pm »

If you wish. I don't mind.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 27, 2017, 11:28:35 pm »

Another thunderstorm out of nowhere is here, lighting up my room, the rain occasionally coming at such an angle that it wets my desk.

Of course I have the window open.  I didn't, for a long time, but that lapse of faith-

Such a perfect peal of thunder, it rumbled for maybe 20 seconds.  The mountains.
Gods and spirits are nonsense, and this is mine.  In my darkest times I ignored it completely.  But for a couple months now I've thanked it.  Under my breath, somewhat embarrassed.

Gaia- thank you for the rain.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 27, 2017, 11:32:54 pm »

If Zeus wants to smite some fools right now, who are we to argue?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2017, 03:42:44 am »

Been listening to Slowbeef's "Visual Novel Book Club", which is what it sounds like: 5 people chatting about a visual novel they play between sessions.  They went on a tangent about the Star Trek Teleporter dilemma.

It's a problem I used to encounter a lot in sci-fi short stories, but I hadn't considered it much recently.  Then I watched a humorously animated short story about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc
It was pretty standard up till 3:10, where it added an interesting question:  What if the clone was painlessly destroyed instead?  It's pointless, but is it actually worse than not using the machine?  Why would destroying a thing be worse than never creating it?

Of course, if you believe there's some part of a human that isn't being copied, the argument doesn't apply.  I'm not sure about that.  Am I a spiritualist, or merely a coward?

My favorite two short-stories that used this trope:
A man wakes up in a computer simulation.  He knows this because he just scanned himself.  Again.  After illegally disabling the opt-out self-destruction routine.  He was determined to figure out why his copies all kept using it.  He had a girlfriend (but now he's a copy).

A man is created at a distant space colony.  FTL travel is impossible, only information.  His "original" keeps licensing his engram for these outworld projects.  I don't remember this one clearly, but it addresses the video's 3:10 point:  If *you* are guaranteed to be fine, is it amoral to spawn a clone in a worse situation?  Not even hellish in this case, morale is a recognized concern, it's just hard
work in a new world.  Cut off from everyone you ever knew.  (I think the story involves him discussing all this with his original for some reason).

Edit:  I do like that there's an appropriate SMAC quote in the comments:  "And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:45:39 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2017, 03:55:13 am »

What immortal soul? :P

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2017, 12:58:42 pm »

Well, it depends on the functional mechanics of said immortal soul!

Is it permanently tethered to the concept of self? Will it fragment according to the number of copies, AKA Harry Potter? Is it bound securely to the original instance, and therefore considers the first instance of Star Trek-esque beaming to be "death", freeing the soul? In that case, does the new "clone" have a soul? Is it a law of the universe that a soul must exist in a sentient being? Maybe its a natural byproduct of the existence of a sentient being, and a new being is created upon each transport. This could apply to clones as well!

I like this question, but I think it was sufficiently demonstrated with Riker's double in TNG that if two separate instances of one being exist, they are in fact completely separate. If the soul does exist in this scenario, it seems likely they would each have one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »

Honestly, unless there *was* such a thing as a soul, I don't see any way such a machine would work to get the current me anywhere but dead. At least with a soul, there's a vehicle in play that could serve to transfer continuity. Without, it's just some bloke who thinks he's me, and the person writing this right now is as dead as Stalin.

(also, fuck you if you're gonna go on about the "but your consciousness goes away when you sleep!" That's the wrong consciousness, *obviously* wrong consciousness, there's the "I am awake" consciousness and then there's the "I have thought" consciousness, and we're talking about the latter. Dreams count as thought, you know. There's signals coursing through your brain continuously from birth to death, *those* signals are the things that continuity is important about. "lolyousleep" is a stupid response and just shows you don't understand the basic premise of the problem. It's not a clever riposte, it's throwing your sword into the pond and falling over.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2017, 03:38:06 pm »

I think I'd be willing to commit suicide for the convince of teleportation.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »

I have to ask: Descan, if there's no soul, does it matter whether you're "you" or some exactly identical guy made up of different components? I really don't see the issue here. What about cryogenics? Or inducing medical death and reviving? Thought stops there.

Though this might be off topic.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44