Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Really complex games?  (Read 7360 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Really complex games?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »

Try the Silent Hunter series. Manual computation of heading, bearing and torpedo attacks.

Silent Hunter 3 is generally regarded as the best entry in the series, but there are some amazing mods for 5 that can make it as good if not better.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 04:03:25 pm »

I'm really not into being a Nazi though, so I only ended up getting into 4, where's your a US sub captain in the Pacific. I do have 5 somewhere...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 04:06:02 pm »

>Nazi
>Das Boot

Right.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 04:32:10 pm »

Offworld Trading Company is complicated due to player/market interactions. Kind of a reboot and update of M.U.L.E, it's got a nicely streamlined interface so everything is easy to do, but it can be quite complicated to achieve victory. An underrated gem of a game.

DeckDeDungeon2 is a nice little deck builder card game on mobile (android and maybe ios), with an almost silly amount of internal interactions and synergy available in deck design. Simple to play, but far more complicated than any other deck builder I've played. Really nice art, very cool challenges, probably my favourite SP cardgame currently. If I could recover my account, I'd be playing it right now. Expect to wait 15-20mins on the first load or two while it downloads everything (it's not frozen), it'll load quickly after that. It's worth the wait.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:39:42 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 06:00:18 am »

Universal combat series and battleground 3000 series are considered pretty complex.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 05:08:23 pm »

Universal combat series and battleground 3000 series are considered pretty complex.
Shit yeah... THATS a capital ship simulator... never saw one that indepth so far.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 05:48:44 pm »

Universal Combat games are complex, but once you get into them they seem kind of empty and pointless.

However VGA Planets, now thats complex and fun
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:50:52 pm by gomez »
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 06:07:55 am »

I was always under the impression that Universal Combat and Battlecruiser lack some really basic things. Like being to interact with the world in ways other than shooting. I distinctly recall I could not find a way to actually communicate with anything. Though that might've been me being unable to penetrate the horrible controls.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 06:13:12 am »

x3? there are many mods out there that greatly increase playability.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2016, 11:45:52 am »

x3? there are many mods out there that greatly increase playability.
X3 (albion preludw) is the game i played the most in my lifetime verh good ans nice. I like the fact x rebirth is slowly goin back toward the X3 formula instead of *being his own different game*. It will be different yet similar. The fact they went underground for md is a gamble tho, either they are working on something big or.... they slowly died out.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 07:29:06 pm »

Universal Combat games are complex, but once you get into them they seem kind of empty and pointless.

However VGA Planets, now thats complex and fun

Similar era, but try Stars! some time. Win 3.x game, but easier turn generation, a good non-cheaty AI (without modding one in) and far more gameplay complexity. And micromanagement. But none of this 1-ship-at-a-time thing. You make hundreds of them, actual fleets of death.

Better stealth/scanning and minefield mechanics than VGAPlanets too. And an awesome race creator. Still one of the best space 4X's ever, if you can forgive the graphics and UI.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:31:53 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2016, 08:12:36 pm »

Complex?  The most complex I can think of is actually not a computer game, but rather a board game: The Campaign For North Africa.  It bills itself as "logistically-oriented," and heavens, does it ever deliver.  10 players (5 per team, 2 of whom are dedicated purely to logistics and rear-area operations), approximately 1200 hours estimated gameplay time to get through one campaign covering three years of warfare from 1940 to 1943.  Five D-sized (559x864mm, or 22x34 in) maps were required to cover the combat area, with 84 charts and thankfully only 71 pages of rules (apparently) to go along with 1800 unit counters (though you may need to make more) and however many log sheets (on ledger-sized 17x11 sheets) you need.  With the full rules in play, however, the game attempts to model the entire North African Campaign down to the level of companies, or for air warfare, individual pilots.  Logistics?  Perhaps the most infamous rule, but one generally indicative, requires all Italian battalions on receiving their stores to receive one extra water ration to cook their pasta, or suffer cohesion penalties - this is creatively termed The Italian Pasta Rule.  Every turn, the trucks go out, their loads planned out individually to make sure your army and air force are getting what they need...but don't forget that your trucks also need fuel as well!  Each turn is one week of game time, and can be expected to take around 10 hours to play through, though computers obviously help quite a bit with this in modern times.  Perhaps the one thing it doesn't do, thankfully, is try to model different calibers of munitions or different spare parts for different tanks; guns is guns and pigs is pigs.  The example I saw was mixing Stuarts (37mm) and Matildas (40mm) with absolutely no material (or materiel) issues.  By and bye, though, for sheer complexity, I think it actually overmatches many computer games that have come out decades later. 

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »

Slightly less complex and slightly more Early Access is My Summer Car. You're a young Finnish man who owns all of the individual components of a car and a set of wrenches. Bolt things to other things and try not to forget the head gasket.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »

Slightly less complex and slightly more Early Access is My Summer Car. You're a young Finnish man who owns all of the individual components of a car and a set of wrenches. Bolt things to other things and try not to forget the head gasket.
I just searched for this out of curiosity.  Can I just say that it apparently has an amazing web site?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2016, 09:44:35 pm »

Be warned, it's very early access, and it's easy to lose a lot of progress because the game crashes, or glitches out and kills you for no reason. I would recommend playing it with permadeath off, because it's just too buggy to deal with losing all your progress to a quirk of the game. Example, I was going 30km or so along a straight road, hit a small bump in the road (nothing out of the ordinary) and instantly died, losing about 5 hours of gameplay. After losing more progress to crashes and other silly physics glitches like cars rocketing off to space when you close the door, I gave up on the game. Might be worth checking out in a few months to a year, but right now it's a little iffy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4