Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Meditation & related stuff thread  (Read 2963 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Meditation & related stuff thread
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 10:08:40 pm »

It means there's a tilde at the end of the sentence.

nothing to see here move along ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 10:21:06 pm »

I used the term "changing" to be more general, yes; shape-shifting usually refers to the shifting of shape.
Difficult in the sense of difficult to learn, not necessarily to do.
Yeah, the most difficult part is learning that concentrating hard doesn't really solve anything here, since it breaks too fast... it's the low-concentration, almost instinctive/reflexive stuff you have to work with in order to succeed for any prolonged period of time, and that's... yeah, it's pretty difficult, because it runs contrary to what you naturally want to do.

Do you think it's worth a few bucks? It's a moot point, though, I don't actually have any money.
The "different author name" part makes me preeeeetty suspicious...

What does a tilde at the end of a sentence mean?~

:P
:-X
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:40 pm »

I used the term "changing" to be more general, yes; shape-shifting usually refers to the shifting of shape.
Difficult in the sense of difficult to learn, not necessarily to do.
Yeah, the most difficult part is learning that concentrating hard doesn't really solve anything here, since it breaks too fast... it's the low-concentration, almost instinctive/reflexive stuff you have to work with in order to succeed for any prolonged period of time, and that's... yeah, it's pretty difficult, because it runs contrary to what you naturally want to do.
It's kind of weird to think how reflexes and unconscious decisions make up most of what you do.

I'd say that the hardest part for me wasn't the "don't concentrate," but the "stop analyzing" - it was hard to pin down a feeling of perception or identity, and the science-part of my brain constantly conjecturing and theorizing didn't help.
Do you think it's worth a few bucks? It's a moot point, though, I don't actually have any money.
The "different author name" part makes me preeeeetty suspicious...
*facepalm*
What does a tilde at the end of a sentence mean?~

:P
:-X

Is it a warble? If so, squee that is so cute!~

Anyway, good-night. Time to sleep, for real this time, I assure you brain. I won't use this to manipulate your inner workings.

...this time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:28:37 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:51 pm »

I think I've been a bit ahead of the curve with lucid dreaming while awake. I can think as far back as having been doing that since I was 13.

After I taught myself how to sleep with my eyes open (out of boredom, and having heard of it at the time, or seen it in a movie), I just figured if I can dream with my eyes open, what would happen if I were to "wake up"; but my eyes are already/still open? Definitely made some days more interesting. Learning how to have, and maintain, a mid-wake state in order to more easily induce it into action was another challenge. Of course, growing up, I realize I just had to freaking meditate.

EDIT:
Now that I think about it, I think I remember where I left some of my more artistic ideas (mentally). Provided enough time, I have some art projects to do.

EDIT EDIT:
Last fey mood I had recently, accidentally triggering it again, led me to make this Halloween art project:
Spoiler: Happy Halloween (click to show/hide)

And another thing: If you can also retain your senses when you dream (accidentally stumbled upon this since the first time doing that mid-wake dreaming; must've tricked my mind (or spirit) into perceiving another reality by accident), you're able to not only see and hear in your dreams, but the rest of your senses work too (smell, taste, touch, and any extra-sensory stuff as well, I suppose). Now, combine that with lucid-dreaming while awake. Feel free to re-engineer reality.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Now I can't help but to want to experiment with ideas regarding the movie Inception doing this. Being full-sensory mid-wake dreaming, while attempting inception. The crap you can pull...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:18:32 pm by Itnetlolor »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 10:30:53 pm »

I honestly have problems with the 'analyzing too much'  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:06:48 pm »

I honestly have problems with the 'analyzing too much'  :v
It probably just means that you don't have enough reflexive thoughts in your brain, and that is, ahem, fixable~
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »

Reflexive thoughts?
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 11:31:44 pm »

Reflexive thoughts?
Yeah. Thoughts that behave sorta like reflexes - you see something, you do something, bypassing your brain? That sort of thing, but only with thoughts. It's not like it's theoretically impossible or anything - it's all a part of the same neural system, anyway...

EDIT: don't forget that it has been long since proven that imagining something excites the same places in the brain as seeing something IRL, or that imagining yourself doing something - same places as when actually doing it.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 11:32:32 pm »

Hmmmmmm....
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 11:44:34 pm »

Crazy nonsense belief?
Sigtext

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:06 pm »

It's all a bunch of speculation, since we really can't science it yet. But it works, sometimes.

My "perception-changing" is really more subtle than I advertised it as :P If someone's figured out a way to see red as blue, post that shit here. But mine might be pretty powerful though - direct observations aren't generally as important as the conclusions that we draw from them IMO.

Fine, fine, I'm going to bed for real this time. Stupid meatbody needing to lie down for hours on end, or protesting and falling unconscious at bad times.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 11:51:49 pm »

I have to wonder where meditation and self-hypnosis meet. Much of the two subjects seem fairly related the more you dig.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 11:52:57 pm »

I noticed that too...
Sigtext

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 11:55:58 pm »

Well, it's making yourself go into a trance.

Ispil, it's probably not dangerous to do some minor self-tinkering if you're aware of the potential problems. If it went away when you caught yourself, then it doesn't seem to have any long-term effects, or anything that isn't solved by realizing it's all in your mind.

Besides, you do like science, don't you?~ :P

But I really won't demand that you do this. If you don't feel safe, you probably won't be able to do it anyway.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »

Oh shit, I shouldn't have messed around with my mind so much. I forgot where I put my sense of morality. Let this be a warning to all of you. *goes on a murderspree*

No, not really. I still understand and remember what my system of morality was, and I trust my old self enough to go with what he decided, but I don't feel a sense of right and wrong. For instance, why do people matter? Is injustice bad? Is discrimination bad? How is that so? I feel like I'm apart from everything - the rocks, the stars are not "right" or "wrong", they just are. "Right" is just whatever somebody says is right, and "wrong" is whatever somebody says is wrong. How is my morality any better or worse than anybody else's?

I suppose I should take this over to the Philosophy thread though, so as to not derail this one. But I do have a question - have you ever done anything like this, Sergarr or anybody else?
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2] 3