Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Meditation & related stuff thread  (Read 2965 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Meditation & related stuff thread
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:38:24 pm »

Here goes all discussion about meditation, Dark Pact, and all sorta similar stuff to prevent derails in gender identity thread.

I guess I should also remind you that no NSFW stuff is allowed here, as well as anyone else on this forum, so duh

For starters, here's this out-of-context part:
and this, also out-of-context

I'll probably add more stuff here in the future. Probably.

discuss
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Meditation & related stuff thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:40:41 pm »

Oh, thanks, I was getting a little worried about that.

Ehehe~ well yes, yes it is~ hey, do your "me's" like each other?

Lemme ask them :P

Hmmm. In a sense, they're all "me", just different expressions of myself. Since I don't hate myself, I can presume that none of the 'me's would hate any of the other 'me's. Switching between the main three doesn't result in any negative feelings toward any other 'me's, so I'd say "yes, they can tolerate each other."

There's some disapproval going on, but not any conflict. The only two sources of conflict I could imagine would be "I should be male. No, female," but with my mindhacking, I can perceive myself as whatever I want to be, so problem solved! :D The other source would be "no, this I should be in control," but my identity isn't quite like that - they're partially distinct identities, not separate consciousnesses. None of the 'me's directly controls Dozebom, there's a 'self' that's always present. The identities themselves wouldn't be able to compete for control, it's more that my choices are affected by these identities, and this "dark pact" is bringing one facet of myself into focus.

Whoa I just got a revelation. There are certain things that are always true about myself regardless of whichever 'me' I'm focusing on, such as a love of science and music. If you take all of these and put them together, they make up my "central self." (This isn't necessarily any more innate or true btw.) But the central self doesn't itself define a single person - there are different actions and choices and thoughts that would all mesh with that central self. The "identities" are cobbled together from stolen concepts and flavoured with the central self, and then I choose which ones I use. In doing this, I decide who I want to be; the identities are like models for my goals and actions.

Whoa, I just realized I'm a mind thinking about itself.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:30:37 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:53:15 pm »

Well, it's good to know that I've helped at least one another person to realize more of their inner mental potential...

have fun with your newly found superpowers~
._.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:41:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...PTW.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:45:44 pm »

Might be following this closely with a ten-foot pole. Where'd this line of thinking come from, Sergarr?
I was very bored when I was young. Very bored. People start to do weird things when they get that bored.

Also, some highly impressive and vivid books about shape-shifters.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:00:05 pm »

Hey, cool! I too like shapeshifting. But how did shapeshifting lead to meditation? (If I am reading your post right, you have used this meditation to... feel either the process of changing or the result of changing. How did you do that?)
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »

I remember being so disappointed when I was unable to disprove my persistent feeling that the world was terribly mundane, trying a bunch of different astral projection crap, finally figuring out that the only interesting stuff was the meditation.

I remember talking the missus through it some and while I was having her explore the state she told me she had a pink pit, so I had her try to channel energy into it and up through the rest of her and she said it felt like her hair tickled which was pretty neat.

>tfw no pink pit

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:09:24 pm »

It's difficult not to interpret that in a lewd way.

*snicker guffaw*

I have decided that I need more detail for my perception-meddling stuff:

Disclaimer: I haven't tested it that much. It's easier to change a perception if you want it to change, or if the existing perception is unclear. I was able to use this to switch between perceiving myself as feminine and masculine, and to see a trans person as a woman despite the many signs that they were AMAB. This might work well because femininity and masculinity have... an associated feeling or sense? I think that might be necessary.

Description: This is a technique for altering a perception. It does not affect the actual visual stimulus, but the end result of the interpretation of that stimulus.

Steps:
1. Do something... sort of like meditation? Or like falling asleep? But only do it halfway. Reality should be wobbling or warping at the edges of your vision, and it should be kind of hard for your thoughts to focus.
2. Take one thing. For me it was either myself or a trans person in the room.
3. Imagine an alteration to a perceived quality of that thing. This is easier because you are partially asleep. For instance, for the "trans person in the room," it was kind of weird to have half the signals as "male" (voice, shoulders) and half as "female" (clothes, etc.), it was a bit unsettling. So I twisted the way I saw that person - not the signals themselves, but the resulting classification. There should be a sense of "that person is male" or "that person is female."
a. This will not work on direct observations, AFAICT. I haven't been able to convince myself that blue was red, but I was able to convince myself that a particular person (myself or somebody else appeared feminine, even though direct observation would contradict that.
b. This is somewhat hard to explain, but you need to be asleep/meditating because otherwise your mind will keep asserting reality onto your perceptions. If you're partially asleep or meditating, you can change perceptions in nonsensical ways.
4. This is the tricky part - while holding "this object is Y" in your mind (while it's really X), wake all the way up. This can take a few tries. I just experimented until I figured out how to hold the perception constant.
5. Don't think about the contradiction. Oh shit, this is basically doublethink. Just... ignore that you are wrong? It's easier for some people than others.

Thankfully, you only need to go through this the first time you twist a particular perception - the mental motion of twisting a perception is familiar, so you should be able to do it even if you're completely awake. You can lose it over time, though, but a quick meditation and re-do of the above should fix that.

It's harder to keep this up for extended periods of time. Normally, refreshing it every once in a while should be fine, but if that's not good enough for you, try practicing a constant, minor mental force toward a given perception.

Also, it's not hard to reverse if need be. If you've managed to convince yourself that the sky is made of flies or some shit, don't worry. Just focus on one observation that makes up that perception and... "pull" the illusion away?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:06:11 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 09:13:49 pm »

Hey, cool! I too like shapeshifting. But how did shapeshifting lead to meditation? (If I am reading your post right, you have used this meditation to... feel either the process of changing or the result of changing. How did you do that?)
Well, those were not just books about physical shape-shifting. They were also mental one. For example, in one of them, there's a place with the beings ("el-in", as they're called there) who've gone too far with their shape-shifting and stopped being... conventionally sentient.

One of them was a living water fountain that radiated so much happiness that it almost enticed the main heroine (yes, heroine, she's also one of the "el-in") to do the same thing, too.

I think there were also some more fiction books about more conventional variants of meditation that I've read (in fact, it seems like most of them that I liked to read contained something like that), but they didn't leave such a lasting impression as this one.
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 09:17:13 pm »

It's difficult not to interpret that in a lewd way.

*snicker guffaw*
Well, it was a bit higher, more centered around her womb, and she later linked the sense of her childhood self to there as a tether to "little me" but yeah, it was definitely one of those things that struck me as "ok this is girl stuff" right away.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »

I can't believe that I have to do it so soon, but:
I guess I should also remind you that no NSFW stuff is allowed here, as well as anyone else on this forum, so duh
While, yeah, it technically isn't like that... it's skirting pretty close. I'd like less explicit-posting and more vague-posting.
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:19 pm »

Well, like I said, it wasn't a sexual thing, I just had her do some breathing and relax, get her zoned in nicely, and then had her try to look down into herself and she told me about it, was actually curious if other girls had a similar sort of inner image while meditating or whatnot.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 09:35:44 pm »

Well, those were not just books about physical shape-shifting. They were also mental one.
I don't think I mentioned physical changes specifically? Also, mental shape-shifting is cool but difficult, I agree.
For example, in one of them, there's a place with the beings ("el-in", as they're called there) who've gone too far with their shape-shifting and stopped being... conventionally sentient.

One of them was a living water fountain that radiated so much happiness that it almost enticed the main heroine (yes, heroine, she's also one of the "el-in") to do the same thing, too.

I think there were also some more fiction books about more conventional variants of meditation that I've read (in fact, it seems like most of them that I liked to read contained something like that), but they didn't leave such a lasting impression as this one.
Oh, I see. Which series or book is this?

I can't believe that I have to do it so soon, but:
While, yeah, it technically isn't like that... it's skirting pretty close. I'd like less explicit-posting and more vague-posting.
But I am a literal robot who does not understand vagueness!
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:11 pm »

I don't think I mentioned physical changes specifically? Also, mental shape-shifting is cool but difficult, I agree.
Well, it's what is usually meant by the word "shape-shifting" - change of physical shape. And I dunno, it was somewhat difficult before, but now~

Dancing with Aute, a trilogy from author Anastasiya Parfenova. It's a Russian series, so I have no idea if there's any good English translations.

You don't have to understand it, just mimicry the required behaviour~
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 10:00:47 pm »

Well, it's what is usually meant by the word "shape-shifting" - change of physical shape. And I dunno, it was somewhat difficult before, but now~
I used the term "changing" to be more general, yes; shape-shifting usually refers to the shifting of shape.
Difficult in the sense of difficult to learn, not necessarily to do.
Dancing with Aute, a trilogy from author Anastasiya Parfenova. It's a Russian series, so I have no idea if there's any good English translations.
Do you think it's worth a few bucks? It's a moot point, though, I don't actually have any money.
You don't have to understand it, just mimicry the required behaviour~
What does a tilde at the end of a sentence mean?~

:P
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3