Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You know what the game genre is missing?  (Read 1722 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You know what the game genre is missing?
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:08:39 pm »

A Dune-esque singleplayer RPG in the vain of Skyrim, or Fallout or Witcher 3.

And there are no Dune-esque MMOs at all either.

It doesn't need to be Dune itself (hence the -esque part)...but...I can't think of any actual Dune-esque game that is open world/sandbox.

And I can only think of one actual Dune game, which is an ancient, caveman era Dune game that is an RTS.

But maybe there is a singleplayer Dune game or something.

But I know for a fact, there is no sandbox/open world Dune or Dune-esque game that is open world like Skyrim/Fallout and Witcher 3. And definitely no MMOs that fit the theme.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:10:58 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: You know what the game genre is missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »

Wouldn't that be kind of... dull? You'll have to excuse any ignorance on my part, because I haven't read Dune and only know what I know about it from hearsay, but the world in which it takes place is a desert world, correct? I imagine the scenery would get awfully repetitive after a while.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:19:23 pm »

What do you mean by Dune-esque exactly? Set in a desert? Focused on the politics and religious of a space fairing empire? Weirdly philosophical points mixed with an adventure game?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:29:00 pm »

What do you mean by Dune-esque exactly? Set in a desert? Focused on the politics and religious of a space fairing empire? Weirdly philosophical points mixed with an adventure game?

Pretty much that, and at least the first book would lend itself well to a survival game as well. It be pretty hard to survive in a desert with little water. But with a focus on the things you listed, that are similar in the book.

There is a MUD that is pretty similar if not exactly what I have in mind. Its been posted here before. I think its called Armageddon? I think that is it. It is very similar to what I'm suggesting.

Except, its a MUD. Which is fine, its a fun MUD. But something like modern games are made, with graphics and what not.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »

Wasteland or fallout would actually hit fairly close to the desert thing, methinks. Particularly the earlier fallouts. Older stuff, the darksun games are definitely desert themed. Emperor of the Fading Suns nails the space empire thing pretty well.

Though no, vis a vis explicitly dune games, there's like... a few.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:40 pm »

And I can only think of one actual Dune game

Yep only one...

Dune
Dune 2
Dune 2000
The Newer one that I forget the name of.

Only 1

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:53:12 pm »

And I can only think of one actual Dune game

Yep only one...

Dune
Dune 2
Dune 2000
The Newer one that I forget the name of.

Only 1

Well, like the list posted above in the wiki link.

All those are ancient, and is just RTS games in your list.

There is one that is an adventure taken from the wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune_(video_game)

However, no modern games in the same theme/style. Fallout I don't think really fits, its more apocalyptic, rather different. Though the older fallouts kinda fit, the newer ones definitely not.

And outside one adventure game, none like Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3, 4, NV or Witcher 3.

Almost entirely strategy games. Old strategy games at that.

And that Dune mod on the wiki isn't really how I picture Dune to be. Armageddon MUD fits way more than that lol.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:54:06 pm »

Ohh sorry... Let me list the non-RTS

Dune

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »

Ohh sorry... Let me list the non-RTS

Dune

You should go back and read my post. I already said the adventure game from the Wiki.

Anyway. I'm more thinking something modern, and in the vain of Elder Scrolls/Witcher 3 or some survival game which would work too pretty well.

Except, actually, Ark Scorched actually rather fits. Its in a desert, and its pretty survival based and water is a HUGE issue. I forgot about Ark's Scorched Earth. It at least gets the harsh desert environment down, similar to Dune.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:04:15 pm by Vendayn »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 06:04:06 pm »

Armageddon MUD fits more with what I had in mind than that adventure game. Saw a couple videos, it really shows its age. And doesn't really have a survival feel to it judging by the videos.

Armageddon MUD and Scorched Earth, the DLC for Ark. Those two are closest to how I picture Dune to be. And SE is obviously about dinosaurs and entirely different, but it gets the desert theme and relying on water pretty good. And Armageddon IS pretty much Dune, at least in theme and features. And I recall Armageddon having a lot of weird politic things going on when I played.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 06:04:48 pm »

and water is a HUGE issue

What? that isn't like Dune at all! (I know I am joking but... uhh... Yeah Dune tends to gloss over that fact a lot. Often treating a Still suit as a magic water device)

Anyhow... Let me think... a Non-ancient game (because the 90s took place in the dinosaur era) that is kind of open world... has a desert...

And is about the geopolitical struggles of several factions in an all encompassing desire for a untapped resource.

Max Mad is the closest I got. I'll think harder.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 06:10:07 pm »

and water is a HUGE issue

What? that isn't like Dune at all! (I know I am joking but... uhh... Yeah Dune tends to gloss over that fact a lot. Often treating a Still suit as a magic water device)

Anyhow... Let me think... a Non-ancient game (because the 90s took place in the dinosaur era) that is kind of open world... has a desert...

And is about the geopolitical struggles of several factions in an all encompassing desire for a untapped resource.

Max Mad is the closest I got. I'll think harder.

Well, yeah. The Still suit seemed pretty magical lol. But, still, how I always visioned it, is water was still a huge issue on the planet. Maybe that is just how I pictured it in my head, since everyone imagines things differently when reading a book or playing a (at least most) MUDs.

Mad Max was pretty fun, it got the desert theme pretty nice , and you are right, it is a bit similar. I should play it again, I really enjoyed it personally.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 06:55:10 pm »

I would love a DUNE-esque game that focused more on intrigue, having foresight, and dealing with the multitude of outlawed pseudoscience stuff present. An RPG maybe? Dunno, but regardless, it's got to have intrigue!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.