Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!Vampires!! Migration, Reproduction, Creation  (Read 2235 times)

The Riddled Basement

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise Armok
    • View Profile
!!Vampires!! Migration, Reproduction, Creation
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »

Vampires are awesome, just think of a Necro tower inhabited by your vampire dwarves and a undercity where your mortal dwarves toil endlessly to gain the privilege of immortality. While the unworthy get fed to the "Elite".

I have been dreaming of creating a vampire fortress for ages, unfortunately none of my grand fortresses ever seem to attract one!

So I was wondering:

a) What is the easiest way to check for vampire dwarfs in a civ?

b) Is it possible to create a vampire with dwarfs toppling statues in a temple or doing it yourself as an adventurer in my fortress?

c) I am familiar with the vampire well for duplicating vampires, but would like to hear from some people who have used this method, what are your experiences?

d) Does anybody have a save in the current version with vampires?

Love to hear your stories and adventures with vampires!!!
-- Make a dining room around the 25z pit floor and tada, easy tragedy training --

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: !!Vampires!! Migration, Reproduction, Creation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 04:10:18 pm »

This recent story was especially heart-warming; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160157.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:48 pm »

In the rare cases where I do get visitors to my fortresses I also tend to get a few vampires. They're currently clearly described as vampires when they enter the embark, but if you miss that message you may have to look for them.

a) Most of what's said on the wiki page is probably still correct. For checking within a civ you'd probably have to use Legends Mode info. Identifying visitor vampires you missed on arrival is a bit tricky, since you don't have access to most of the info you'd need.
b) The forum claims that can work. You can become a were instead, of course. I believe some people have also made use of building destroyers' natural tendency to topple statues rather than trying to push dorfs over the brink.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:38:20 pm »

great, now i want vampire overlords, thanks
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:32:33 am »

The easiest way is defenitely adventure mode ;)

1/ Retire the fort.

2/ Create an adventurer with the starting location at your fortress .
Go to a temple (a little investigation to know which temple has cursing gods could help : find a vampire, see his cursing God, look for a temple praising him. IDK if fortress temples work), save.
Topple statue until you become a vamp. If you're a were beast, reload.
OR (the even easier method)
Find a vamp (through Legends, it's rather easy), kill him, drink blood.

3/ Retire vamp-adventurer at fort.

4/ Reclaim, enjoy.

c) I've had a vampire fort once, the well method worked very well (ahah ! pun ! :D )
I have an idea if you're feeling creative : you can create the vampire-well in a room accessed only by a corridor.
This corridor's floor would be a retracting bridge.
Use clever timing and pressure plates to retract the bridge after a newly-vampire-dwarf has drunk the blood.
Under the corridor will be a 1-z drop to the access to your vampire fort.
That way, any new vampire will get filtered.
What about normal dwarves who fall through ? Well, they will be offerings !
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:46:56 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

The Riddled Basement

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 05:14:58 pm »

Thanks Spriggans :), now I will have to do some !!science!! to find out what happens if i topple my own fort statue!
-- Make a dining room around the 25z pit floor and tada, easy tragedy training --

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »

I intend to test whether or not they can be toppled by proxy

For instance, can you drop a goblin onto a pressure plate linked to multiple supports which collapse multiple statues and then the goblin gets cursed?

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:19:36 pm »

The one time I toppled a statue from one of my own forts to become a vampire in adventure mode I made sure to have 2 temple zones set. One general purpose, the other to a random deity, just in case.

How do you guys do to keep your vamped dwarves from going sober, reliably? If it is easy enough I may try making a fort with vampires endlessly churning out green glass pots and blocks to feed my main fort's needs.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 08:22:27 pm »

The one time I toppled a statue from one of my own forts to become a vampire in adventure mode I made sure to have 2 temple zones set. One general purpose, the other to a random deity, just in case.

How do you guys do to keep your vamped dwarves from going sober, reliably? If it is easy enough I may try making a fort with vampires endlessly churning out green glass pots and blocks to feed my main fort's needs.

vampires will drink socially, but not out of thirst.
making a tavern will cause idle vampires to go there and get drunk

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 08:26:42 pm »

So what you're saying is that my ultra-high security internment facility needs a stocked tavern for its inmates.

Rad as hell.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »

So what you're saying is that my ultra-high security internment facility needs a stocked tavern for its inmates.

Rad as hell.

isnt that just a normal dwarven fortress? but yes, it needs a bar for them to get drunk at

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 02:41:59 am »

And unless you find the idea of the inmates drinking the tavern keeper amusing, you should appoint at least one of the vampires as tavern keeper (I'd probably assign them all: tavern keeping is a low priority job, so it shouldn't keep them from actual work).

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:27 am »

AFAIK, it is not yet possible to feed your vampires using tame-able creatures (pets), since they never sleep.
Maybe it is possible to do if the pet is inconcious ? (eg : after a controlled cave-in). Somebody should test that ! :D

I'm also waiting for the day vampires can drink the content of blood barrels. At least these would serve another use than appeasing Armok...
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 08:48:00 am »

Do vampires respect forbidden doors and stuff?
I could have two rooms acting as hallways connecting the vampire's work area with the main fort. One to replenish their tavern, the other one to take out the goods. Maybe throw in some airlocks that flood with magma and smashing raising bridges, just to make it more dwarfy.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 09:41:33 am »

Vampires can't pick locks and are not trap-avoid. They respect burrows normally, but I would not expect them to do so when "hunting" as that's not a fortress approved job.
Pages: [1] 2