Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year ??? It's over  (Read 21826 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year 4- Admitting we were at war.
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:46 am »

Welp, my capital's done. Should have kept my forces in it instead of doing the last stand before the siege, I now realize, but then Ulm would just have taken the side province and locked my Sirins in without a means for them to work. You and your bloody high morale commanders. :P

I'll still be taking a final stab at you though. I pulled everyone I had harassing Ragha back just this turn. :D
Well, hey, you managed to cut my army in half by taking a commander that mattered at least. So what was the thought process behind the bless anyway? Seems a little odd putting a nature blood bless on 0 protection sacreds. I get the feeling they'd still die in one hit on average. Not sure i justified taking below average scales.
We were choosing between nature-and-something and death-and-something, and then figured that the blood bless would work a little bit better if these guys didn't die to the first arrow that hit them. Chose more on the fun factor than strategic value, really. Marignon has recruit-anywhere sacreds, Bogarus has recruit-in-any-fort sacreds, blood bless is fun, and Marignon has the Blood Mother pretender that allows making a nature/blood bless with 10 dominion (for maximum holy points) without tanking scales. That was basically it. ^_^

And we could've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for this muddled-up clustered start. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2016, 10:44:02 am »

I think you guys coulda used some better scales to be honest, but you know what, can't argue with doing things for fun unless they turn out to be unfun. Hopefully luck will smile on you next time.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2016, 03:49:01 am »

This turn is sent, but I'm not going to be able to do another until monday or tuesday.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2016, 05:04:12 am »

Thanks for the heads up, will keep that in mind and add a delay. Have a fun weekend!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2016, 06:06:13 pm »

Added in a 72 hour delay, so the worst case scenario is that it hosts on a Wednesday at least no matter where you are in the world. Hope everyone can enjoy their weekend.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2016, 09:12:15 pm »

Hate it when the battle replay is different from what actually happened..... Yes even when what happened is technically better than how the replay said it went (I like seeing where a strategy went wrong/how to optimize it further)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2016, 02:18:10 am »

Hate it when the battle replay is different from what actually happened..... Yes even when what happened is technically better than how the replay said it went (I like seeing where a strategy went wrong/how to optimize it further)
Er, what? Never a saw a battle replay being different before. The replay is literally a recreation of how the game resolves the battle.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2016, 03:47:10 am »

Er, what? Never a saw a battle replay being different before. The replay is literally a recreation of how the game resolves the battle.

It sometimes gets a little drunk, notably here, the replay showed I lost 3 of a certain type of unit (It's really damn obvious when these ones dies), but the results tally shows I got away of all of them, and looking at my unit pool, they're all there, safe and sound.

As to other examples, Bay12 round 21, sometime there around the endgame a replay shown that one of Thtbloves Boar Warriors managed to run through the death and destruction of my pretender to apply ax directly to face, yet, after the battle it shows me still in control of the province, I'm pretty sure this got a little discussion there.
It gets worse sometimes, sometimes the point of divergence for a replay is some critical spell going/not going off for some reason, can't remember any specific examples but there's been times where I've been excited at seeing a great victory/almost afraid to just see how bad the losses were, and opening up the battle summery just to go 'wait wat...'

Glory to United Forenia!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2016, 04:06:23 am »

Huh. Could it be mod/version divergence? It's never happened to me in my limited multiplayer experience, and never happened in singleplayer before. Battles are played out server-side and only the starting conditions are supplied to the client with the implication that the client follows the same procedure as the server. If there's a discontinuity anywhere, the seeded random number generator will produce different numbers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:10:21 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2016, 04:31:14 am »

Huh. Could it be mod/version divergence? It's never happened to me in my limited multiplayer experience, and never happened in singleplayer before. Battles are played out server-side and only the starting conditions are supplied to the client with the implication that the client follows the same procedure as the server. If there's a discontinuity anywhere, the seeded random number generator will produce different numbers.

That is one possibility, except that in my example mentioned, both me and Thtbloves saw the same replay. We were both confused as to why I maintained control of the province, all our other battles didn't have such shenanigans involved.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2016, 05:23:02 am »

That is one possibility, except that in my example mentioned, both me and Thtbloves saw the same replay. We were both confused as to why I maintained control of the province, all our other battles didn't have such shenanigans involved.
Neither of you was the server, though. If you're playing through the llamaserver, the discrepancy would have to be between their settings and yours. Though it being limited to just one battle does suggest that if the discrepancy was in mods, it would have had to be very small and very specific, making some other error more likely.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2016, 02:30:13 pm »

I had 2 replays that didn't match what actually happend unit/stat wise in our last match, it happens. Try not to worry about it.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:49 am »

I'm baaaack.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2016, 09:47:42 am »

Welcome back Mini!

Edit: Oh wow that was beautiful Mini! Definitely didn't see that coming! (From Hatman, yeah, but not you!) A little overkill though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:12:16 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:30 am »

Hope you enjoyed your weekend mini. I swear when I got my turn I was all like "Oh shit, what if the turn hosted before mini got back". Speaking of stalling, thanks everyone for getting your turns in consistently. I'd rather have to delay by 3 days than have someone stall, especially in a disciples game. Speaking from personal experience it really really sucks when folks are unable to get their turns in on your team or another's.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15