Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year ??? It's over  (Read 21807 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year 3- High intensity diplomatic exchanges
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2016, 01:02:36 pm »

The terms were basically "let's put our border along the river, and neither of us take the Throne". That's about as equal as it gets, and you weren't the side sandwiched between warmongers. :P

But, again, with the way we were laid out strategically, there was no way for us to work things out. Dominions doesn't allow for "I'll let you pass through my territory", and you would have to either punch through our territory or funnel out through the south into Agartha.

Also, unless it's not clear, we're basically about to fold. Neither of us have worthwhile forces to bring to bear, I'm trying to run interference but my bird-ladies aren't having much effect, and... yeah.
Anybody know if there's a button for "torch fortress"?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2016, 01:20:58 pm »

I think my main problem when I play this game is that I am just not very good at it. Diplomatically, I'm fine with the choice I made. I should have, if I were a good player, been able to utilise my fairly decent money and gem income into some sort of army that actually did stuff and defended against Ragha's advances.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2016, 01:23:57 pm »

I'd be interested in trying a disciples game again with more players, though.

I've never played a disciple game with two-person teams. It sounds weird and awful. Three-person is nice. Four would probably be decent as well.

Anybody know if there's a button for "torch fortress"?

It's under construct building.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:28:05 pm by E. Albright »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2016, 01:47:45 pm »

I think two-person teams would have worked better if we had a lot more teams. The half/new half/experienced format seems to be working intra-team.

From our side we had forged a peace treaty of sorts with Man, so the only other direction was Bogarus or Ulm. Then Man attacked us, and we basically pulled out of the war proper.

I agree it was a bad placement. Had I more resources, I'd probably have fought harder for that island between you with my VAST FROG ARMY. But, yeah, Man. And Ragha/Ulm didn't really have another opponent, and unless they've attack Arco recently, they still don't.
Check out my books at O and H Books

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2016, 02:52:13 pm »

I've never played a disciple game with two-person teams. It sounds weird and awful. Three-person is nice. Four would probably be decent as well.
Well, it being the first time I was organizing a disciples game, this made more sense to me. The last game I was in was 4 or 5 teams of 3 each... and the main problem there was I was the only person doing any sorta legwork in the team so it was really really awful to play as. I was aiming for 3 person teams this time around, since the community here seems more tight knit and all, but balance of players and all that. 4 player teams would have just been two sides locked in constant war I feel, and there was no way to divide 8 players into teams of 3 each, so yeah.

I was trying to gently nudge thtblovesdf into this, but at the same time their last game fizzled and so they seemed too burned out for it. Welp. So far it seems to be working on my end... sorta, though I get the feeling that when things go south they go south for players when you have such small teams. Less people to rely on and talk to.

Anyway, that's my ramble.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »

There's a reasonable argument to be made that you want at least four teams in any case to keep it strategically interesting (i.e., make early 2-v-1 risky), so nine would have still been short for three-player teams.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »

And Jilladilla knows a ton about Dominions.

I find this funny, notably because I've never even touched most of the nations. (No seriously, of the other nations represented in this match Arco is the only one I've touched, and all I have to say about Arco is never again... But then again, I could probably figure out a half decent plan for most of them if I was forced to, again except for Arco, which I refuse to even think about, so I guess the statement has some merit.)

But more relevant to recent discussion: 3v3v3v3v3 for next match hopefully?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2016, 01:30:26 pm »

In other news, a random Shambler I sent to the arena is now not only the champion, but the highest-ranked hero in the Hall of Fame. I hope his fame doesn't go to his head... :-\
Check out my books at O and H Books

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2016, 01:32:49 pm »

He's going to demand to be in any and all arenas no. There's not stopping the arena champion train. Well, unless it's sticks, stones, swords, iron, magical fire, regular fire, lightning...

Dropped a small extension for arco, of 12 hours. Okay, maybe not so small, but I am heading to bed and am going to be busy after I get up, so better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:17:06 pm by chaoticag »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2016, 04:55:27 am »

I'll prob. be in the next game, but I still feel like I was the big bad last game (How fitting for R'yleh...).

As for team comps... I found that having score graphs on/off makes a massive difference - intel is power and I feel each scout is worth his upkeep (but never the mage-turn of a fort/lab province).
Oh and yes, you want to avoid stuff like 3v1(s), but at the same time they always should be possible. A 4v4 could be fun, but would lack any intresting diplomacy. We are somewhat tight knit indeed, so people remember your past mistakes and actions, i.e. I know I can properly trust chaoticag to hold up her end of a deal, Jilladilla to do the same - as long as it is useful for him - and for me to very much stick to the exact wording of any deal.

I also found it hugly successful to always double-down on anything - tell A you want to kill B, tell B that A asked you to kill him, tell D (who is friends with B), that A is going to attack B and if he wants in...

I basically end up sending about one and a half pms per turn, curious how much others send.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2016, 05:04:38 am »

Welp, my capital's done. Should have kept my forces in it instead of doing the last stand before the siege, I now realize, but then Ulm would just have taken the side province and locked my Sirins in without a means for them to work. You and your bloody high morale commanders. :P

I'll still be taking a final stab at you though. I pulled everyone I had harassing Ragha back just this turn. :D

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:09 am »

Jilladilla to do the same - as long as it is useful for him

I broke a deal? (No seriously did I break one I can't remember, bring up specific game please? I'll try to bring up my end of it if you do... Shame I stopped archiving my turns though...)
Typically the only ones I break are those already broken, voided by shenanigans, those I just plain forgot about (although to be fair, NAPs tend to not matter here, I tend to lean towards being totally passive if left completely alone), or those I was never aware of in the first place... (Yes that last one legitimately happened.)

Now, accepting deals... Yeah what Thtbloves said is pretty much true there, but what person takes a deal that isn't useful to them whatsoever?

Glory to United Forenia!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2016, 06:41:57 am »

Now, accepting deals... Yeah what Thtbloves said is pretty much true there, but what person takes a deal that isn't useful to them whatsoever?
I do, at times. Mostly if it feels like the sort of thing the nation I'm playing would do.

Have I mentioned I'm not very good at this game? :P

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2016, 07:26:05 am »

I do, at times. Mostly if it feels like the sort of thing the nation I'm playing would do.

Have I mentioned I'm not very good at this game? :P

Huh. Yeah I can see an RPer doing that. As for you being very good.... I'm guessing something happened to your initial expansion force? But at the same time, you did some fairly impressive things with how little you had. I'm looking forward to future matches regardless.

Glory to United Forenia!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2016, 07:57:40 am »

Welp, my capital's done. Should have kept my forces in it instead of doing the last stand before the siege, I now realize, but then Ulm would just have taken the side province and locked my Sirins in without a means for them to work. You and your bloody high morale commanders. :P

I'll still be taking a final stab at you though. I pulled everyone I had harassing Ragha back just this turn. :D
Well, hey, you managed to cut my army in half by taking a commander that mattered at least. So what was the thought process behind the bless anyway? Seems a little odd putting a nature blood bless on 0 protection sacreds. I get the feeling they'd still die in one hit on average. Not sure i justified taking below average scales.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15