Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paladins: a team based hero shooter  (Read 3504 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paladins: a team based hero shooter
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:56:17 pm »

Paladins is a free to play team based hero shooter and has been in open beta for a while now. I started playing it earlier this week and I have to say I have been enjoying my time with it very much.

Link to the game on steam

Link to the official website

The game currently has 18 playable characters. Initially when the game was being developed they were aiming for a game with fewer characters but higher customization for each character. However due to player feedback during the beta they have decided that they will be implementing more unique characters to the game and focus less on the customization.

Characters come in four varieties. We have our "Front Line" characters who are usually pretty tanky and have shields they can deploy to protect themselves or their team. Then we have the "Support" class which focuses on healing, debuffing and a bit of crowd control. We also have "Damage" characters who focus on... well you probably guessed it... dealing damage. Finally we have "Flank" characters that usually focus on burst damage and high mobility.

It is very similar to other games in the genre. If you've played High Rez's previous games or games from other developers like TF2, Overwatch or any sort of MOBA a lot of the characters will have familiar abilities.

Each character is customizeable through a set of collectible cards. You mix and match these cards to make a 5 card "deck". These cards often are centered around the character's abilities. Some examples would be "use X ability and gain 10% move speed for 2s" or "your shield has 500 extra health". Once you have your deck assembled you assign it points. You can buff each card up to 4 times, so say if you had a card that boosted your shield by 500, if you spend 4 points on it it might buff it by 1000 instead. You only have 12 points to distribute among the five cards. 

I am not sure how I feel about the card system yet. It could be interesting but I have a feeling that it will often be a case that there are a few optimal builds so you'll always be going for the same sets anyway resulting in it just being another pointless grind. The nice part about it though is you pick your deck after you know what characters are on the other team so that might influence the way you customize your character. Now you might be wondering how you get these cards. Well you can either buy them outright with the in game gold currency or you can get them randomly from "radiant chests". Radiant chests can be purchased with the game's premium currency and are also earned as you level up your profile.

You can further customize your character during a match by buying items with points you earn while playing. They fall into four categories and you can only buy one from each category. The first category has items that will reduce CC and add damage mitigation. The second category has items that affect mobility and cooldowns. The third category has items that affect healing, such as lifesteal or getting a bonus to healing received. The final category has damage related items, you can choose to do more damage to shields, reload faster, reduce enemy healing etc...

There are currently two game modes in the game. Siege and Payload. In siege there is a central point that you have to stand on king of the hill style until you fill up the capture bar. The team that captured the point then has to push a payload to the enemy base to get points. You win when your team hits 4 points. You get 1 point for capturing the payload and another for delivering it to the enemy base. If you fail to deliver it to the enemy base the other team gets a point. However you can't win by only defending, you need to get your fourth point by capturing the middle or delivering a payload.

The second game mode is payload. In this mode one team starts of as attacking and the other defending. Your goal is to push the payload to the other side. Once the payload is delivered or the time runs out the team switches roles. The winner is the team who pushed the payload the furthest or if both teams successfully delivered the payload to the enemy base the team who did it in less time wins.

Now for the business model. Like many F2P games there are two kinds of currency. There is gold which you earn by playing matches and leveling up champions and then there are crystals which you pay money for. You can get a bit of the premium currency from login rewards (I earned 50 this week for logging in 7 days in a row for example). With gold you can buy champions, cards and some cosmetics (mostly recolours and voice sets). The premium currency can be used to buy cosmetics, mounts, to unlock champions or to buy radiant chests.

The cosmetics include champion skins, emotes and voice packs. Skins are divided up into pieces so you can mix and match if you wanted to. So if you liked a certain head and a certain costume you could mix them up. Or you can just buy a set as a whole. So far they come in three rarities, common, rare and epic. You can buy common skins with gold but rare and epic skins cost premium currency. Champion emotes are only available through Radiant Chests as far as I can tell. Which is pretty shitty since cosmetics seem to have a pretty low drop rate in chests. Voice packs can be purchased with premium currency or gold for the common voice packs. You don't actually start with a voice pack when you unlock a character, your voice emotes that you use in game is the standard Paladins announcer voice.

You can also buy radiant chests with premium currency (you get one every time you level up your profile). These chests give you either cards, gold or cosmetics. You're mostly going to be getting cards and gold from the chests. The cosmetic drops seem pretty rare. Radiant chests look like a big waste of money to me.

Many of the champions start off unlocked. You can unlock champions one of three ways. You can buy them with gold, premium currency or you can buy the founders pack. The founders pack is 20$, it unlocks all of the champions and will unlock every future champion as well. It also gives you an epic skin for the champion Fernando and an epic mount.

Anyway I've probably rambled on enough about the game. If you end up liking it feel free to add me in game, my player name is AngryOtter.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:29:52 pm by Wiles »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Paladins: a team based hero shooter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:43:26 am »

Huh, thread must've fell under the radar.

Anyways, I've been playing a lot of Ying lately. They rebalanced her to be unable to heal anymore, and her illusions don't move unless she use her new ability, which make them run over and suicide bomb, which shift her illusions from being well, illusions, to health dispensers. It's an interesting change but I'm mostly happy about it because it's not like her illusions were terribly convincing in the first place.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:49:20 am »

I've been playing Mal'domba a fair bit...He feels a bit over powered to me. His potion throw is a good heal, good damage, and good for threatening an area and harassing snipers. His dash lets him get out of trouble quickly enough, and his right click is a good heal and, with the right cards, can heal Mal for a fair amount too. Hard to hit but another card can help fix that. His basics are a pain to hit but deal good damage, especially for a support, and the stun on his reload attack is pretty brutal, especially when combined with a potion.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:40:34 pm »

I havent played a ton yet(huge backlog of other games to play), but i cant seem to play at the same level with multiple characters. If i need to go damage i do WAY better on the soldier than on anyone else. If i need to tank, fernando seems the better tank hands down.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:57:21 am »

I played Paladins for a while shortly after it was first released. I liked the art style and character variety. However, two major issues drove me away from the game...

First issue was balance. There were tons of creative mod cards for your skills that could be implemented in a variety of ways, but almost every skill on every hero had one specific mod that was objectively and overwhelmingly more powerful than the others, basically forcing everyone to use the same cookie-cutter builds every single game.

Second was hitscan weapons. Pretty much every match seemed to be utterly dominated by one or two people running around wielding hitscan weapons with accuracy that seemed impossible for any human player.

It's been a lot of months since I last played however. These issues may have changed since then.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:09:33 am »

I think the card balance is due to them playing catch-up with cards and hero skills. For example, Ying was recently changed to be unable to manually heal people, and now can suicide bomb her illusions. They changed the cards to match but they really didn't buff the cards that don't involve spamming illusions everywhere.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 01:49:17 pm »

tried this. got my first loss after about 10 games.
some sniper dude was just spewing out headshots, replay was nice. 4 in a row vs fast targets. maybe slightly haxxor infected?
dont like that.
anyway, had some fun too. crazy mech with dual chain guns. its almost as if i kept playing robo craft XD

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »

Nope, Kinessa is just mad overpowered.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 02:10:38 pm »

dunno. ive seen some realy crazy shit. arrows headshoting me through wals and what have you.
could just be bad netcode, but then, whats the point of the replay if it doesnt show me what happend to the dude ive spectated.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 02:18:11 pm »

Nope, Kinessa is just mad overpowered.
No, she's not. She's pretty damn strong, but is balanced by the fact that she's hard as hell to play as, and a good flanker will make her life a living hell.

It doesn't matter how good you are at lining headshots when Buck lands on top of you.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 03:02:51 pm »

The Reaper with a revolver guy is super overpowered.  Dunno if they've nerfed him since but when I briefly played, I unlocked him immediately and just destroyed in most matches.  With how easy it is to land shots due to the gigantic hitboxes, you can 3-4 shot most people with headshots.  Combined with a 3x genji-like escape dash and no one should ever be able to kill you.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:45 pm »

I don't know, I don't think Androxus (the reaper looking fellow) is terribly OP. He's pretty fragile, has a relatively short effective range and his dash doesn't take him all that far. I've shot plenty of Androxuses and Drogozes out of the air with Cassie. I do think he rewards good play though, you really do have to flank or you will die terribly every time you run into an enemy.

I don't really feel like there are any characters that are terribly OP at the moment. I don't think everything is perfectly balanced either, but it's still in beta and changing fairly regularly. There are definitely characters that feel a bit weaker than their counterparts though.

My biggest issue with the game right now is that hitboxes really do seem overly generous. That and I think the replay system isn't perfect so it frequently looks like people are shooting people they don't have LOS on in the death recaps.

It's funny when I first started playing I thought most people who played the game were terrible at it, but then I found out later for like the first five levels you are only playing against bots. The game, as far as I know, never tells you this and the bots are named in such a way that it isn't immediately apparent that they are bots. :P

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 04:14:27 pm »

Bomb King is love

Bomb King is life
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 04:23:35 pm »

for like the first five levels you are only playing against bots. The game, as far as I know, never tells you this and the bots are named in such a way that it isn't immediately apparent that they are bots. :P
all right. thats why i won my first 10 or so matches. and i thought i did not suck :(

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »

for like the first five levels you are only playing against bots. The game, as far as I know, never tells you this and the bots are named in such a way that it isn't immediately apparent that they are bots. :P
all right. thats why i won my first 10 or so matches. and i thought i did not suck :(

Yeah, they don't tell you, it's just weird :/
Pages: [1] 2