Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 896783 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.2 (32x32) - 44.12 - updated 3rd August - Training Rooms!
« Reply #2205 on: September 03, 2019, 12:28:49 am »

What about some foreign weapons? I always wanted to add a few RL cultures to DF, but using actual RL location/country names feels out of place. So instead of Japanese, Viking, Germanic and Egyptian, how about...

I'd love to do some African tribal warfare (maasai, zulu); South American (Inca, Maya, Atztec), Arabic (Ottoman, Sultans of Arabia) and Roman/Greek. Maybe Polynesian (cool Sword-fish swords :D ), or Maori... or North American Natives.

And then come up with a good naming scheme for 8-10 civs, without using RL locations OR using stupid racial stereotypes. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: September 03, 2019, 12:43:26 am »

Personally I'm fine with using IRL place stuff if it's more practical, or as a place holder.

Seems like a neat idea though.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: September 03, 2019, 06:04:05 am »

What about some foreign weapons? I always wanted to add a few RL cultures to DF, but using actual RL location/country names feels out of place. So instead of Japanese, Viking, Germanic and Egyptian, how about...

Looks good, except... I'd prefer to see one or two more 2H spear-like weapons for Men of the North (or West).

Also, I find rare or unusual weapons to be particularly interesting, such as the Goedendag or "spear club". That weapon is merely a hefty wood staff with a very pointy, but small, metal spear tip. "Good day sir... I said good day sir!" [WHAM!] [STAB!]

@Meph will you make a new release once the latest DF Revised is ready?
Maybe? ^^ Is it ready?

Checking the Revised topic OP, it seems it hasn't officially been updated since July 31. However, as has been pointed out several times, the version of Revised currently used by Meph Tileset is much older than what is officially available. And Taffer, himself, posted here that quote, "current release is IMO a (comparably) good time to update things." So, technically, it's been ready for a while now.

Unofficially, Darkond2100 has already merged the updated Revised with your Meph Tileset. There were some errors that cropped up. However, these error messages mostly had to do with language issues, word token typos (e.g., should have used TAUPE_GRAY instead of TAUPE_GREY) or missing punctuation in a few places. (See page 26 of the Revised topic.)

Since then, Darkond2100 has taken another stab at trying to fix these errors. This is the result:

DFFD - File: MephFortress ReRevised

I don't know how old your Revised option is, but my current release is IMO a (comparably) good time to update things. I'm mostly done with the descriptions and I'm avoiding editing the comments, so the diff between this version and whatever my next version is should be comparably small.
Oh yeah, that's something I could do. :) Thanks for the heads up.

Revised was requested a couple of times and Taffer was kind enough to allow me to put it in. As splint said, you can toggle it on in the launcher. It's not the most up to date version of Revised, since I haven't touched that part for a while.

Hey, it's been a while since the last update on this set. Any requests by now, ideas for the future, bugs? (apart from the adv mode stuff that I couldn't fix)
Since you're asking for requests... Would you consider updating the Revised portion of your package to the latest version (v2.1.0)? Please? The Revised thread still indicates that the mod's status is on "hiatus", so it should not get a new update any time soon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:54:33 am by Thundercraft »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: September 03, 2019, 08:23:55 am »

Only trouble I have with that system of weapon-naming... you're totally gonna get "Men of the North" in southern corners of the world, and vice versa.

I guess you could fluff it as "these cultures arrived on this particular DF continent from their correspondent corners of the globe"? "Boat" is a word in the dwarven-human-elfin-goblin languages, after all, despite the utter lack of boats in modern-day DF worlds...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2209 on: September 03, 2019, 08:53:53 am »

Only trouble I have with that system of weapon-naming... you're totally gonna get "Men of the North" in southern corners of the world, and vice versa.

I guess you could fluff it as "these cultures arrived on this particular DF continent from their correspondent corners of the globe"? "Boat" is a word in the dwarven-human-elfin-goblin languages, after all, despite the utter lack of boats in modern-day DF worlds...
Depends if I add 4 human civs, or if I just add them through workshops. ^^

-awesome sauce-
Thanks so much for that. Seems I should have been paying more attention. I'm downloading the updated Revised now, will have a look at everything. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: September 03, 2019, 09:26:13 am »

What are Throwing Gloves? Are they gloves that throw stuff, or are they gloves that get thrown at people? ???
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: September 03, 2019, 09:42:41 am »

What are Throwing Gloves? Are they gloves that throw stuff, or are they gloves that get thrown at people? ???
Ranged weapons require a weapon + ammo. Throwing knives aren't systematically implemented, nor are throwing spears.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2212 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:00 am »

Correct.

I only have the option to make a "throwing tool" of sorts, like spear + atlatl. Or black ninja gloves that people wear when they throw shuriken around. :D The alternative would be "shuriken (weapon) + shuriken (ammo)" which is a bit confusing at times.

zennyrpg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: September 03, 2019, 10:21:19 pm »

Just downloaded this and started generating worlds-- I noticed a strange "ocean" looking area.  After embarking and investigating, I found out it was white sand.  The white sand desert on the world map and white sand desert on the minimap after embark are showing up as blue.  I switched color schemes (Pheobus, Spacefox) and fonts (Gemset, Ascii Square) and that didn't change it.  Is this a known issue of one of the mods in the stack used here?  The tileset graphics are correct.

edit: double checked and the area affected is "calm" and "wilderness"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:48:31 pm by zennyrpg »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: September 04, 2019, 06:17:04 am »

Correct.

I only have the option to make a "throwing tool" of sorts, like spear + atlatl. Or black ninja gloves that people wear when they throw shuriken around. :D The alternative would be "shuriken (weapon) + shuriken (ammo)" which is a bit confusing at times.
were throwing weapons suggested to toady?
it would be weird to pick up shuriken in adv mode ad not being able to throw them.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: September 04, 2019, 09:21:25 am »

Training rooms look nice, the whole August 3rd update instead of September threw me off :o. But aren't these workshops basically the  "Skill Practice Workshops" from dwarf fortress cheats? This is definitely better with graphics and probably encompasses much more though. Looking forward to using it, since it looks cool.

New weapons look good as well.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: September 04, 2019, 10:42:07 am »

were throwing weapons suggested to toady?
it would be weird to pick up shuriken in adv mode ad not being able to throw them.

Adventurers can [t]hrow anything in their inventory. Fort dwarves only do so during a tantrum.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2217 on: September 04, 2019, 10:46:09 am »

Training rooms look nice, the whole August 3rd update instead of September threw me off :o. But aren't these workshops basically the  "Skill Practice Workshops" from dwarf fortress cheats? This is definitely better with graphics and probably encompasses much more though. Looking forward to using it, since it looks cool.

New weapons look good as well.
Apparently I forgot which month it was. ^^

Is there a mod like this already, with training reactions for everything? I did everything from scratch, even though I have made similar systems in Masterwork previously. Initially they had three reactions (slow/free, tool/medium, coin/fast) but Toady One changed how XP works at some point between updates. :/

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not too sure how it works though, haven't used it. (well enough to know it works effectively~ the reaction works~) I'm guessing it just works in the way that you use the workshop and when the reaction is completed the xp goes to the skill the workshop is set to increase, unknown how much xp would be granted.

Seems this should work as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe it'd be better to make this a sort of druid magic by adding a reaction like this,

Of course with plant materials instead, or with water or lava buckets, water bucket goes in gets emptied and comes out as a bucket(but then again it uses the bucket in the reaction and the product should be a set bucket type(not sure of this) so could possibly abused to get free resources of that type if you don't have it(from smelting bucket?) ).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

All unnecessary, it gives 30xp, regardless of any products. I tested several versions using dwarf therapist.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 187