Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.  (Read 52171 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2017, 12:01:18 am »

Khate

Varkonius raised a finger to where his lips would be, then ripped a package off his belt and threw it at Khate. It was an EVA bag, still in its massively folded state.

Quote from: Vark to Khate
Is it getting hard to breathe in here, or is it just me?

Khate knew that reference. It was in a lot of shows that Khate had seen, but there was one event that stuck in her mind. Dead Neo Running, season 126 finale. The winner of the season had been a neo-crow, and his prize had been the comfort and luxury of an emperor for the rest of his days. "Is it getting hard to breathe in here, or js it just me?" was the last thing he said from the victory podium, right before he detonated a quantum resonance bomb he'd smuggled out of the arena, sucking himself and several hundred fans and judges into the cold blackness of space.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:03 am »

"I suppose it's not surprising...at least I have another mystery to solve while I'm here. Is there any way to communicate with these holograms? I believe they were created as parts of my 'digital soul', to put it poetically. If they're like me, they have been learning about these poor creatures, and maybe trying to help them. If only with a bit of light."

Sadish wondered at the seeming coincidence, that the Senolight Puzzlebox had created holograms of her that had migrated to this place, becoming beacons of hope for the lost beings who dwelt here...and in turn, that light had led to the beings saving her from certain death. That was the 2nd or 3rd time (it was hard to remember) that the Puzzlebox had saved her life.

She would really have to take a closer look at the thing when she got back. If she could remember where it was...

Action: Think about ways I could communicate with the hologram programs, unless provided an answer. Something I would think of. Because they might be like me?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2017, 12:50:42 am »

Quote from: Khate to Vark
No hostages, no cat. No allies, no cat.

What do you think he meant by 'here'?

Her own reference probably wasn't as famous as Vark's, and was almost certainly a more common phrase elsewhere. It was nonetheless a fairly noteworthy DNR incident, and one with severe parallels to their current situation.

Season 156 of DNR had coincided with a rather nasty purge between the victor and loser of a bitter conflict elsewhere, giving the producers an ample supply of unpleasant individuals to dispose of in brutal fashion. While not usually considered irredeemably bad, the season garnered a fair number of complaints regarding the monotonous behavior, dull personalities, and narrow but respectable competencies of its victims, receiving generally mediocre to low ratings as the season progressed.

For season 157, they opted to swing hard in the other direction, using much smaller numbers of far less professional individuals in far more personal and exotic circumstances. This led to, among other things, a warning from the announcer that a dangerous predator lurked in this area, followed by the sandy ground shifting uncomfortably. The fifteen prisoners currently in the arena predictably ran screaming in different directions to higher and more heavily vegetated ground, where one panting prisoner intoned Khate's wording to his partner.

Cue the entirety of the arena splitting open to reveal a Grausshallck's maw, the rather surprised and alarmed prisoners sliding screaming into the real arena of a building-sized worm's gut, and the premiere of season 157 receiving raving, gushing reviews. Best of all, the bumbling duo responsible for the line went on to become fan favorites, eventually being bailed out of the arena to serve as sponsors for a brand of weak orange-flavored beer.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2017, 05:13:27 am »

Noticing several errors in comprehension while inputting her ideas, Kesari changed a few lines and added a few strings to make more sense. One major problem was that she was a forgetful person, and the other major problem was that all she could remember at the moment were spa treatments. (she was not good in her market pitch--analytics were sublime, but being a saleslady was far out)

She recalled several portions of how advertising began into song, and wondered if she could input the strange acoustics as part of the backdrop. Otherwise, she sent a private message to Boris

Quote from: Kes :D |To: Boris! :O
Could I have a situation report? I've spliced our comms to theirs and Mick's, and I heard all he said too--glad things have calmed down. Could you check on Sadish? I'm somehow not getting a clear signal from her and I'm unsure how to...read this about her. Guessing it's a computer spasm.

Please check on the rest of Mick's crew too--he must've had a second. Second-in-command and all. The person probably 'negotiating' after 'everything goes bad'. That person.

Oh and inquire if we can borrow a shuttle of theirs! :D
Do hand over these coordinates I'm inputting <[here]> so I won't run the risk of losing a digital copy to any snoopers, as paranoid as I am right now. This is where I'll bore them out. The other file is where I plan to bore us out--you can tell them so you can say 'in your face' to Mickaw.

Yes I feel a bit immature. o_O Probably because I don't know if I should be happy or sad that they brought a bomb, and we diffused it.
Good work, Captain! :)

P.S. Sorry for calling you my subordinate! We can settle this over Sadish's steak that she left somewhere in the medbay. Forgot what it's called. I know it's yummy though!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2017, 12:16:33 am »

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

The situation was actually sort of funny, from a certain angle. Scarlet had attacked the crows and Ka-taeun, of course, but her goal hadn't actually been to hurt them; it was a distraction, a defensive move at its core, and one she hadn't been expecting to cause any damage at all. Theoretically, actually hitting the rainbow bastard was a bonus; she'd expected the shield to easily stop the flames, not for it to utterly fail to defend against them whatsoever.

However, this had an unfortunate effect on her standing with the unnatural Cane. The ideal opinion he'd hold of her was "who?" A more realistically acceptable one was "minor irritation." The one that she'd been prepared to deal with was "that bitch who helped steal my panther." She definitely did not want to be "the one that set me on fire."

Scarlet wasn't quite afraid to die, no. She'd accepted a long time ago that she was going to die one way or another, and it probably wasn't going to be particularly pleasant. Not much even unsettled her, really, despite her grumbling. A career like hers meant you saw lots and lots of horrifying shit, and you either learned to deal with whatever came your way or folded.

Those warnings terrified her.

She gave an order to the nanites: purge. Exterminatus. Leave nothing alive. If there was even the slightest uncertainty about a body in there belonging, destroy it. It'd ruin the musculature in her arms almost certainly, possibly even wearing out sinew and bone; she had no idea how long it'd take to recover from that kind of damage. But it might stop the infection without having to cut her own arms off, and that was all she cared about.

It took a lot of mental effort to even get that through; panic and (literal) searing pain had a way of making it difficult to concentrate. Whatever amount of mental capacity not devoted to "purge the shit out of my arms before I melt or explode" or "don't pass out from the various things causing you excruciating agony" was used on stumbling toward Khate - and by extension Varkonius, not that Scarlet actually cared at the moment - hoping that the off-kilter Cane had something to do about the rapidly evolving clusterfuck.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2017, 12:07:13 pm »

No cat, no anybody.

Just some place to get some fresh air.

Season 133, from when the arena had been a set in deep space, constructed from dozens of interlocked shield bubbles of various sizes that drifted and rearranged into complex shapes. People had called it the soap bubble arena, and with the right impulse and a certain suicidal bravery, it was possible to jump from one bubble to another. 

The exact quote had come from when the combatants had mostly separated into two factions. One controlled the main bubble cluster and the only air scrubber in the arena, while the either had been forced into a orbital strip of small bubbles that lacked any means to renew the limited atmosphere inside. The distance had been too far to make even a daring jump- those that had tried had arrived on the other side unconscious and easy prey for the opposing team.

The quote belonged to a bore jumper just before he made the trip. While the force bubbles prevented direct jumping from cluster to cluster, he retained the ability to jump from any one point of vacuum to any other point of vacuum. He used that to cross the intervening difference and enter the other cluster at a bizarre angle, putting a shotgun blast directly into the chemical tanks of the air processor. The action forced DNR to send an intervention vessel or risk losing all combatants. The jumper himself disappeared sometime during transit, and theories still speculate wildly about what happened to him.

If you don't want your friends to ride along, they should move back.
Fast.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »

Quote from: Khate to all station allies, and also Vark
RUN

Also, noise incoming. Recommend you plug your ears.

Khate immediately began snapping open the bag, and immediately began dashing for Scarlet. That she was still able to move was a great sign, but she'd just been fed through that wall of chainsaws Khate had been worried about. That would have filled her with anger and panic on a good day, but this particular incident had been almost entirely Khate's fault. The temptation to physically rush the abomination not-Cane was held in check mainly by carrying an item that needed to be kept away from him, and the promise of hurling him into space.

As for Scarlet... Khate was not a medic. She certainly wasn't a doctor. Sadish probably would have known what to do, but Khate couldn't get Scarlet to Sadish. The only thing she could do was get her to Tagget, or barring that into the sack. She really hoped there was room in the sack.

"KA," she bellowed as she ran, her suit's volume amplifiers directing an oppressive, echoing beam of sound directly at someone who likely found it cute. So far. "YOU HAVE MADE A LOT OF VERY UNSTABLE PEOPLE VERY UPSET!"

Grab Scarlet, hurl her to the entrance if possible. No need to be gentle, the impact can't possibly do worse than the curse of a god. If there's no time, stuff her into the EVA bag with the panther. Stuff panther into EVA bag regardless.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:19 am »

Aubrey was lightly hurt somewhere, she remembered – but the current situation was just too exciting to really notice or even remember which wing it was. And it was only going to increase in excitingness shortly!

She inwardly groaned, wishing for a nice bed and perhaps a cup of something warm.

Quote from: Aubrey to ship
Hello there. All is well. Can I assist in getting us back home? Perhaps you could send us some information on your spa treatments?

Right then. Back to useful feet on the ground stuff. She needed to keep the burning? burnt? untouched? crows from doing their jobs, so concentrated on that as she moved back to the door of the room, and towards the hostages and escape. As she scuttled back, she tried to free up part of her mind to play with the lights in a suitably fit-inducing way.

Actions in order of priority: flee away from Khate towards the door as fast as possible. Whoever can needs to get out, hard. Maintain interdiction of the crows’ interdiction. Turn entire room into an epilepsy risk with massively bright random millisecond pulses until the lights blow. If random is not possible, consider using pulses to send the message “SPA TREATMENTS RULE OK. PS I AM VERY STABLE KHATE DAMMIT”.

Wonder if my cloaking is still on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2017, 08:11:25 am »

"Hey Boris", Kesari started, not yet receiving a response from the awesomely eccentric human being, "While I'd bother you with another message to ask about that SitRep, what's your call on me driving the Reunion closer to the station? I'm not getting any word on incoming bores--from emergency transmissions on other ships an- oh wait hold up, I've a message."

Hello there. All is well. Can I assist in getting us back home? Perhaps you could send us some information on your spa treatments?
Quote from: Kes :D | Re: Vampiric Advertising
I knew I shouldn't have named it AIDS >_>
Also yep--I tried searching the catalogue for better advertisements; thought anyone smart that got interrupted by the first blast a few minutes back would settle their audio. So I took the time to add MORE to it!

Granted I've...or at least I *am* trying to key in some buffers into your communicators so it won't affect y'all that much, and sending in a transmissible key so you can send it to your friends to the sounds won't help.

BUT If you'd like a tiny code so you can use it personally, I'll try that too! Take care, please don't die. Ship is okay, we have two awesome shuttles and a crew load of mercies minus Sadish :(
Hope she's okay.

Also you didn't read my last messages that was sent to Khate to branch out to the rest of you!

"- ok where was I? I was thinking about popcorn advertisements and the many movies and trailers this ship advertised for the people on board. Goodness I mean, Khate has a LONG BACKGROUND of the movies she downloaded...and some are inappropriate in a non-violent context. That and wow this databse is huge and did you know how much TB this computer can store in its auxiliary drives?-"

Occupy Boris' communication link with dialogue as my tech harness does its work in adjusting the AIDS code.

Also try to give a personalized variation of sound-stuff for Aubrey to use!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:45 am »

Boris stared blankly at the sight before him. Of all the grisly scenes he'd expected, one with an entirely missing Sadish and the body of some unknown mutant had not topped the list. Judging from the wounds in its chest, the thing wasn't one of Mickaw's. But, then-

His thoughts were interrupted by Kesari's message. He sent back a quick series of replies and snapped a quick image of the bodies.

Quote from: Boris to Kes
Sadish has disappeared. Need to investigate, as soon as possible.

Mickaw is... disabled. Probably needs a medic. Doubt he'll be of much help. I'll leave him here and take the shuttle. Mimic Mickaw's voice and tell this 'Enesch' to give us the shuttle? Better if they don't see Mickaw like this.

Take us closer to the Station if that helps us. I trust in your judgement.

You got through to Mickaw. Would've killed him otherwise. Good work.

Look forward to telling him we saved everyone and escaped.

He looked around the corridor, frowning. There had to be some hidden exit here - Sadish couldn't have disappeared into thin air. Boris could imagine a variety of terrible fates the Fin could be suffering, but he couldn't go off searching just yet. The shuttle, and getting the away team to safety, came first.

Head for the hangar and the shuttle, leaving Mickaw behind. He'll probably be fine. Execute whatever insane plan Kesari has been hatching up.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2017, 08:26:45 am »

Kesari felt her tail whap her back--it was somewhat of a strange tic she had when she felt both anxiety and surprise. Those two feelings never happened together as a rule with her, it was either one or the other, mixed with a cocktail of adrenaline, excitement, intrigue (mostly the intrigue in an analytical way), and physics humor. The 'whap' was when she read what Boris wrote about Sadish.

She couldn't pick up her signal. Keeping that bit of info to herself lest others may panic...possibly, and wishing that her tech harness was upgraded more to handle THREE armed tasks, she began focusing her next task on splicing Mickaw's words into orders alongside (as she pictured "that one movie" she watched in the far past where 2D animation ruled, about a man's mechanic hand splitting its digits into multiple branches and typing at the near-speed-of-thought, which she wished could be done to her tech harness but circumstances said otherwise)

"I will really want some of that popcorn sometime soon. I can hear my harness whirring into overdrive with all these tasks and typing," Kesari muttered to herself as her paws worked with the 'non-human apparatuses' in the C&C room, which usually were more for stabilizing the person and controlling areas that didn't need fine manual control.

Quote from: Kes :D | Re: SADISH?!
Wait take the shuttle where? I'm scanning the cameras and forgot where that one other shuttle is!
Kesari slipped a paw into the "Mickaw line", a term used and termed by the prominent speaker in a communication splice. She drafted a few words to use in mind, like "These people are staying around. They'll launch us first though, we're safe. I'm taking a breather; they're betting on sending us messages if they lived." or "Let them take the other shuttle." and "I'm a bit wounded, no worries though, they've got amazing spa treatments at half price!" scrapping a few others, adjusting to fit what she heard about how he inflected his tone and resonance.

Also don't override Draignean's processing by:
> do what Boris asked in his note about Mickaw and his crew!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:30:02 am by Tiruin »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »

Scarlet

It took a lot of mental effort to even get that through; panic and (literal) searing pain had a way of making it difficult to concentrate. Whatever amount of mental capacity not devoted to "purge the shit out of my arms before I melt or explode" or "don't pass out from the various things causing you excruciating agony" was used on stumbling toward Khate - and by extension Varkonius, not that Scarlet actually cared at the moment - hoping that the off-kilter Cane had something to do about the rapidly evolving clusterfuck.

Scarlet staggered away from Ka-taeun, cradling her arms. Her nanites were responding to her commands, attacking her own body as quickly as the disease was. Lesions and bruises began spreading almost immediately on her exposed skin. The nanites didn't bother trying to repair them, which was something of a novel experience. Scarlet hadn't had a visible bruise in decades, and now her arms were covered in them.

The warnings in her retina escalated steadily, a dozen warnings that she'd never seen before: muscle degradation, toxic backwash in her bloodstream, cancerous instabilities, tendon necrosis. Yet there was one indicator that gave her hope, one that kept her stumbling forward.

Pathogen Containment: 83%

Scarlet was dimly aware that Ka-taeun was following her, watching as she moved unsteadily towards where Varkonius and Khate had somehow tag-teamed Wilcox to the ground. His crows had stopped shooting, but that was a painfully small relief. He kept a little distance from her, seemingly unhurried as he observed her progress.

Pathogen Containment: 88%

"You are more resilient than expected. Fascinating, truly. I never tire of seeing the way advanced technologies interact, it's like watching a war between the old and the new, the past and the future."

Pathogen Containment: 92%

Oh god, he was going to try and talk her to death while she was already dying. Truly, Ka-taeun's cruelty knew no bounds. Scarlet grit her teeth and kept on. Wilcox was getting up, shaking Varkonius off his back like an errant fly. Varkonius landed in the surprised manner of someone who'd strongly suspected that he was going to be somewhere else. Aubrey's counter-interdiction was breaking down.  Khate was running towards Scarlet, carrying a large and heavy looking bag in one of her mech's arms.

Pathogen Containment: 95%

"Ideas struggle for supremacy the same as any creature. They grow, they struggle, and those that survive the struggle will breed and foster the next generation. It is a struggle for perfection. People -canes, claws, humans, the lot- we only serve to interfere with the process. We try to inject morality where it doesn't belong, we place restrictions on what ideas are allowed to grow and where. "

Pathogen Containment: 97%

Scarlet's arms fell to her side involuntarily, no longer possessing the requisite strength to stay folded.  It was probably a good thing- it kept her from turning around and trying to shoot Ka-Taeun in the middle of a monologue.

Pathogen Containment: 98%

"What you're experiencing is... purer than that. It is not savage, savage is a concept we made. It is the anathema of false order, of the divisions of flesh, culture, and the tyranny of pointless evolutionary barriers!"

Pathogen Containment: 98%

No. No. Not like this, not goddamn on the edge of 2%. Scarlet stopped in the middle of the hostel. Khate was almost on top of her. Wilcox was standing, and had two very large guns pointed directly down at Varkonius. 

Pathogen Containment: 94%

"You will perish here, but know that a Monument is rising. We will build a new future from the muck you'll leave behind, cleansed of the mortal dregs that have always held us down. Stop struggling. It will all be over soon."

Pathogen Containment: 82%
Warning: Infection has delocalized. Altering containment procedures...

Shit.

Khate

Grab Scarlet, hurl her to the entrance if possible. No need to be gentle, the impact can't possibly do worse than the curse of a god. If there's no time, stuff her into the EVA bag with the panther. Stuff panther into EVA bag regardless.

Khate stuffed the bleeding panther into the EVA bag. The creature, though breathing, seemed mostly limp. That probably wasn't good. Varkonius wouldn't be too obligingly helpful later if his panther ended up dying. That, however, was something that could be worried about later. Scarlet was Khate's concern right now.

Scarlet was walking towards Khate, clutching her arms where she had been grabbed, and staggering left and right as though drunk or concussed. Ka-taeun followed behind her, his tongue lolling in an amused expression. Beneath Khate, Wilcox was beginning to pick himself up. That meant the giant mecha-fin would be back up and trying to kill her in seconds, and grabbing Scarlet meant putting her back to him.

Not that the latter really impacted Khate's view of what needed to happen. Damn the torpedoes.

Khate bounded off Wilcox as soon as the big cat was in the bag, skidding on the floor and scrambling towards Scarlet. The human was looking worse by the second. Bruises were literally flowing up her arms, and she had a thousand-yard stare fixed on absolutely nothing. Khate bellowed at Ka-taeun as she ran towards Scarlet, an action that only widened his open grin.

Scarlet stopped walking right in front of Khate. She seemed to be snarling at everything- her teeth clamped together and bared, her eyes squinted half-shut against the pain. Her arms had dropped to her sides, the skin loose and the musculature nearly gone.

Ka-taeun sat down behind Scarlet.  One of his two winged sentinels followed him, the other kept an eye on the doorway containing Aubrey and Tagget. Khate estimated her chances of throwing Scarlet past them without Ka-Taeun doing something horrible or the birds using Scarlet for skeet practice were minimal. That meant option B, shoving Scarlet in the bag with a potentially upset panther.

It beat letting her die.

Khate braked hard, claws throwing up sparks as she slid into Scarlet and slid her into the bag with the Panther. It was now rather bulgingly full, but it had been designed to accommodate a Fin if need be. They fit. Barely.

Ka-taeun raised an eyebrow as Khate sealed the bag.

"I thank you for protecting my property so completely. I think that sealing it away and bringing it to me is possibly the most helpful thing you could have done. A pity you're more 'unstable' than the people I like to work with."
Something changed physically as Ka-Taeun spoke. His throat began to distend, and he somehow drew in a massive shuddering breath while still speaking. He opened his mouth to exhal-

"Has Erectile Dysfunction got you 'down'?"

Ka-Taeun choked gracelessly as the voice of God interrogated him as to his penile health. Khate took a moment to make sure she had his expression on camera before rolling back to bolt back the way she'd come. She had no desire to experience what he'd been intending to to do, and while 'back' meant charging straight into Wilcox, he was certainly the lesser of two evils.

"Is your partner thinking of leaving you for a big Fin who has got 'the stuff'?"

"Open fire! Bring the Cane down NOW!"

"Try our new Sensi-Max bionic prosthesis! The only bio-prosthesis cloned from your own tongue cells, to give you the ultimate in strength, flexibility, and sensitivity!"
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »

Aubrey

Actions in order of priority: flee away from Khate towards the door as fast as possible. Whoever can needs to get out, hard. Maintain interdiction of the crows’ interdiction. Turn entire room into an epilepsy risk with massively bright random millisecond pulses until the lights blow. If random is not possible, consider using pulses to send the message “SPA TREATMENTS RULE OK. PS I AM VERY STABLE KHATE DAMMIT”.
Wonder if my cloaking is still on.

A few seconds ago, things had been looking fairly terrible for Aubrey. Her cloak was gone and recharge would require too long for it to be useful again in the imminent future. She'd managed to hop back over to take cover behind Tagget, but that had largely been because the two neo-crows in powered armor hadn't seemed interested in shooting her. After Scarlet's wall of flame had gone down and rainbow dog had attacked her, the pair had crushed Aubrey's subversion of their interdiction, then they'd basically ignored her physically while stopping her hacks cold. Individually, Aubrey pegged them at 80-90% of her own skill, which was still damn good, but, one-on-one, she could take them down. Together as a pair, undoubtedly with some nice integrative suite built into their armor, they could shut anything she tried down- hard. Counter interdiction? Nope. Flashing lights? Nope. Comms scramble? Nope.

That, however, had changed the instant Kesari's ad-blast hit. For people who weren't getting audio piped directly into their ears, they just heard the PA system screaming about... that. For the pair of crows, hyper-keyed into every datastream in order to block or control it as needed, the sudden information overload was shockingly effective. Their coordination broke down instantly as hundreds of simultaneously overlapping advertisements and worse slammed against their filters.

Aubrey struck hard in the window Kari had opened for her. She revived her attempt to control the lights, changing intensity, angle, and (where possible) color to random extremes. The hostel turned into a rave worthy lightshow, adding further confusion to the screaming advertisements that seemed to only be growing in intensity and broadcast density.

That done, Aubrey twisted her talons, linking the sympathetic arc to the interdiction field and rending. To their credit, the pair of crows tried to fight her as she tore their work apart. Operative phrase: tried. They didn't have the millisecond perfect teamwork they'd had a moment ago, and Aubrey had grown more used to dealing with chaos than most of her kind.

Aubrey broke the interdiction field and obliterated the architecture behind it. She had no idea what Varkonius was going to do with it, but he had his window.

Vark

Vark looked up at the pair of massive cannons pointed down at him. Had interdiction not kicked back on evading the lumbering brainfish would have been trivial- even with a hole in his leg. Without the ability to jump... He probably just gained a couple more cracked ribs. Which would rapidly become secondary to the near complete disintegration he was about to experience. The gunpuppy had gone and run off directly into the multi-color cane, which, he admitted, was probably going to make great footage later assuming that anyone survived to get it exported.

Wilcox loomed over Vark. Vark considered converting to some religion so he could jump on the 'heaven' bandwagon. Then the erectile dysfunction advertisements started, and a split second later his jump rig gave him the green light to open another bore. Erectiled dysfunction didn't exactly have the lethal flash that Vark enjoyed, but hell, he could dig it if it saved his life.

"Weird, it's like they know you," Vark said, quickly mentally keying in a new bore from his position on the floor.

Sadly, Wilcox did not respond and give Vark the extra couple seconds. He fired a pair of high power plasma cannons at point blank range.

Vark's bore opened poorly, the calculations only partially complete. It absorbed the weapon blast but shed hard radiation in an aperture bloom that tripped half the ionization sensors in his suit. The exit was even sloppier, turned the hard beams into a messy pulse that hit Wilcox's shield with a wave instead of a focused point.

Not that Vark had been aiming to punch a hole in the Mech's shields. He just wanted to knock Wilcox's back into the wall, which the pulse managed proficiently.

"You think that amateur's trick is going to work on me? Boy, I'm going to-

Vark pinched the tip of his pointer finger into his thumb. There was a single beep from the charge he'd planted on Wilcox's battery core. Then it exploded, sandwiched between Wilcox and the station bulkhead. The primary explosion didn't do much more than destroy Wilcox's battery. The secondary explosion of the battery in Wilcox's mech blowing out tripped the rest of the radiation sensors in Vark's suit and blew apart the ceiling, floor and walls. Most importantly the walls.

It was always shocking how little there was separating a room full of people from hard vacuum.

Khate

Khate was most of the way back to Vark, ready to help with (or at least ready to survive) whatever he had planned, when he blew Wilcox's battery. Which meant she was staring straight at Wilcox when his back exploded once in a ball of flame, and then again in a brilliant violet explosion that breached the station bulkhead like it had been made out of rice paper and prayers. This had three immediate effects.

1. Wilcox, hopefully dead, was propelled directly at Khate at absurdly high velocity.

2. The hostel began decompressing out through the new hole like a hurricane.

3. The value of Khate's footage spiked faster than a hedgehog in a brothel.

Khate flattened herself to the floor, the force of decompressing air still propelling her towards the hole. Wilcox flew over her by inches, cannon balling into one of the power armored crows with a horrific spray of metal fragments. Ka-taeun, sadly, did not get incidentally crushed. Instead, he was... elongating.

Every part of Ka-taeun was stretching forward, reaching to snag onto any part of Khate. At the point of impossibility, where he looked more like a stretched piece of Cane shaped taffy than a real creature, His front paws burst open, producing thick tendrils of raw looking flesh that whipped through the air like vipers.

Khate bolted. Her claws gouged the floor as she pushed off, and the decompression wind propelling her forward so she barely touched the ground. According to her suit, she went through the breach at slightly more then 90 m/s. Varkonius was ahead of her, drifting in the hostel's debris cloud at only slightly lower velocity.  He was looking at Khate, or rather, looking past her.

Okay, you're going to need to move slightly faster if we're going to make this work.

Khate tucked herself up and fired her paintball guns to put herself into enough of a spin in order to look behind her. Ka-Taeun was barely recognizable. He wasn't a Cane anymore, he was some sort of bizarre fuzzy rainbow colored space caterpillar, growing towards Khate at a surprisingly rapid pace. The space caterpillar thing was going to touch her before she reached Vark, and despite its appearance, Khate had feeling that would be a Bad Thing™. This left her exactly one option.

She had to fight rainbows with rainbows.

It took a second to orient herself so that the paintball auto-cannons didn't put her into a spin, but Khate subjected Ka-Taeun to an endless stream of riot grade neurotoxic paralytic paintballs. Whatever personal shield he had was apparently capable of forming itself to his altered shape, and the balls themselves splattered harmlessly against it, but it didn't let him defy physics. The impacts pushed him back, and the paintballs pushed Khate forwards. Ka-Taeun writhed, a living example of the saying; in space, no one can hear you scream in frustration that your quarry has escaped your nefarious clutches after covering you in rainbow paint.

Khate was too focused on keeping a steady stream of paint directed at Ka-Taeun's 'head' that she didn't notice she was drifting directly back through a bore before she'd already fallen through. It snapped shut the instant she was through, revealing a surprisingly close view of the other side of the Flounder. Khate didn't get much time to admire it before her back end slammed into something painfully solid.

Oi! No autographing my ship with your ass.

Khate twisted carefully, getting her feet into a position where she could clamp them onto the surface of the ship she'd just butt slammed. It was the ship that they'd approached, found the blood covered umbilical, and subsequently abandoned. Varkonius was fiddling with an EVA port, punching a series of combinations into the outer lock. He hauled it open after a moment and beckoned her Khate through, cycling them both through the airlock.

On the other side was the rest of Varkonius ship, which looked disturbingly like a high-end terrestrial apartment. They appeared to be in a large area that was simultaneously the bridge, kitchen area, fire control, TV lounge, communications, and, if the oversized grav-bed in the corner was anything to go by, master bedroom. Varkonius, however, was too focused on extricating his panther from the EVA bag to give Khate the tour. He grabbed the bag away from Khate and unsealed it, carelessly rolling Scarlet out so he could get his arms around the panther and haul her out of the bag. Both of the occupants appeared to still be alive, though there was a great deal of pooled blood left over in the collapsed bag and Scarlet's arms were still a mess of bruises.

Varkonius grabbed the panther in bear hug, looping his arms under its front legs and carrying it over to the dining table. "Cass, medical assistance, now!" Vark shouted as he laid the panther out and began pressing his hands over the bullet hole in its side.

A cylindrical cubby next to the grav-bed cracked open, and the far too well proportioned maid from earlier stepped out. Her skin and clothing rippled briefly as she approached, turning translucent blue and jelly-like before reforming into a slightly taller, much more realistically bodied woman in a white medical coat. She looked at the bleeding panther with a clinical sort of disinterest. "That is an injured jaguar, sir."

"THANK YOU NURSE OBVIOUS, TREAT HER!"

Cass leaned forward, then frowned slightly. "I'm sorry, sir, that is an injured jaguar. I am not programmed to handle veterinary practice. Your leg is injured, shall I commence treatment?"

"FUCK MY LEG! Do something for HER!"

Cass' eyebrows furrowed in a rather realistic look of confusion. "I can perform euthanasia. How shall I fuck your leg, sir?"

Khate began to sense that Varkonius was in danger of blowing up his own ship in sheer frustration. Scarlet, meanwhile, still appeared to be conscious, her eyes flickering open to look up at Khate and the ceiling with an expression that was at once pained and dumbfounded.

"You," Varkonius hissed, pointing a finger directly at Khate. "What do you know about medicine?"

Scarlet

Scarlet was not dead. This surprised her slightly. She'd been exposed to what she assumed was Sadish's 'Vera', but she'd failed to explode. Her nanites informed her that they'd lost the ability to contain the infection, and yet she as not dead. She'd been stuffed into a bag containing a live panther, and the injured animal had spent most of the trip hugging her with blunt paws and making rather pathetic mewing noises rather than mauling her. It had been an odd day.

Now she appeared to be Varkonius' house/ship, staring up at Khate from the ground while trying to process what her nanites were telling her.

Pathogen cannot be contained.
Antigen cannot be locally synthesized.
Boosting primary functions in order to retain consciousness.
Holding infection at key points.
Estimated time until internal power failure: 32 minutes. Seek medical assistance immediately.

Scarlet felt like she was twitching all over, and her vision swam whenever she moved, but she could move. Hell, her arms were exceedingly weak, but she could move them a little too. With a bit of luck she could even stand unaided, though that might be asking far too much of her body at this point.

Aubrey

Aubrey stared at the blank steel of the door that had, up until a moment ago, been open to the hostel. Closing it had been a split second judgement call, one that had probably saved the lives of the hostages, but also one that had locked Khate and Scarlet on the other side. Khate would make it- that was just who she was. Scarlet... Scarlet had been hit, and not just a bit of a scrape like the slug that had hit Aubrey's wing. Scarlet needed real help, she needed to be back on the Reunion with Sadish.

Of course, Kesari's messages weren't exactly encouraging on that front.

Painfully aware that she was the last member of the away team actually on board the station, Aubrey turned back to the former hostages. They were universally wide-eyed, and many had flattened themselves to the far wall. Decompression was something of a recurring nightmare for most spacers, and considering that their current defense from that decompression was a single door, they had a right to their fear.

The pair of hostel staff that Khate had rescued were being straightened up by the others, and they both offered thanks that was equal parts profuse and incoherent. It was a situation that Aubrey wasn't entirely comfortable with, and one that only ended when a sound both singular in its volume and alien nature cut them off.

"BLLEEEE-EHEH!"

Every eye turned instantly towards Ty. Ty shrank back a little, but the small and panicked looking goat she was clutching in ther tech-harness stretched its neck defiantly toward the observers.

Tagget leaned forward and poked the goat in the nose with tip of one of the pieces of debris he held as clubs. The goat promptly attempted to bite the debris. "Tyva, when did you get a goat?"

"Umm... He just kind of scampered out when the red lady went in, and I sort of... you know, grabbed it," Tyva replied, gently trying to tug the goat away from the piece of debris it had decided to lock into fearsome battle with. "Can we keep it?"

"We'll talk about it later, when we're far away," Tagget said diplomatically, turning slightly to face Aubrey. "Which I assume is where we're going?"

Goats aside, leaving sounded pretty damn good to Aubrey. If Ka-taeun had truly been vented out into space, that afforded them an excellent opportunity to move very quickly off the Flounder before everything went completely pear shaped.

Aubrey gathered up the hostages once more, put Clarke and Ty in the rear to yell if they saw anything horrible happening and lead the front with Tagget. Aubrey, thanks to a mixture of her own and Kesari's efforts, had a map out of the station. Right now that didn't need a strong rear guard, they needed speed and the ability to bash through anything that got in their way.

Boris

Head for the hangar and the shuttle, leaving Mickaw behind. He'll probably be fine. Execute whatever insane plan Kesari has been hatching up.

Boris jogged for the hangar at the highest speed his suit could safely manage. A thousand things occupied his mind as he ran, some more positive than others. Judging by the bleeding, Sadish had been alive, you didn't bleed like that if you weren't. Despite her often... frenetic and eccentric nature, she could do a fair job of taking care of herself in a pinch. Yet the way she'd disappeared, the thing he'd found, and the voice that had told him that 'Lightbringer' was safe... it added up in all sorts of uncomfortable ways. At the moment, however, he couldn't afford to divert focus to those problems. Right now he needed to rendezvous with the away team and somehow get them a bore back to the Reunion in order to hopefully avoid the wrath of Ka-Taeun's vessel. At least, that's what Boris thought Kesari's plan was. He might have missed a step or two in there somewhere, but he thought he got most of the important bits down.

In the hangar bay, Enesch was standing outside the shuttle. His expression as Boris bore down on him at a run made it very clear he was trying to quickly decide whether he should try and shoot Boris or greet him.

Thankfully, he attempted a greeting. Which Boris pointedly ignored. Enesch attempted to sputter something interrogative about Mickaw, but relented and backed off after Boris gave him the Evil Eye and clenched a fist at him.

Inside, the shuttle was disgustingly whole and well maintained for a mercenary vessel. The manufacturer was probably still in business, and it didn't look like any part of the shuttle had been replaced with anything but factory specifications. Boris hated it instantly. It had no character, no spirit, no life of its own. Even its start up sequence was flawless, not even requiring a single recalibrating kick- that was the kind of luxury that inevitably led to soft handedness and complacency.

Hunched behind the controls, Boris managed to get the hangar to open properly on the third try, and exit from the Reunion was quick after that. It was the trip in between the Reunion and the Flounder that was boring. It was, like nearly all space-flight, empty, tedious, and only made tense by the persistent knowledge that, if Ka-taeun's vessel had any inkling of what Boris was doing, they'd turn him into drifting scrap before he could even come up with a decent epithet.

Boris was nearly ready to start querying the station for docking procedures when things started to get interesting. Part of the flounder exploded. The shuttle's HUD immediately flagged this with an irritatingly helpful exclamation point, and further noted that there was a significant atmospheric jet accompanying the discharge, likely indicating multiple rooms or a single large room involved in a depressurization event. If any of the away team was involved, Boris would arrive too late to help, but it at least let him know that they were still alive and fighting.  Or had been.

The Flounder's auto-docking sequence had been shot to hell by Kesari's AIDS virus, which meant Boris had to spend an irksome amount of time fishing around for a hard lock. At least the shuttle itself didn't fight him too much on that. It was designed to be used by mercies who didn't particularly care if their target wanted to be docked or not. The seal was made, grudgingly, and Boris punched the manual release with a somewhat unnecessary amount of force.

The door clicked open, sliding apart to reveal a pair of soldiers in steeply angled armor, both of whom had carbines leveled at Boris' chest. They didn't look like the talking type.

The one on the right suffered a critical existence failure when what appeared to be a large chunk of a grav-bed smashed into him from behind. The second jerked to look at what happened to the first, which gave Boris the opportunity to lunge forward and grab the soldier's gun, tear it out of his harness' hands, and smash it repeatedly against his helmet. Boris stopped hitting three or four swings after the soldier stopped moving, tossing the hopelessly bent remains of the short rifle aside. It was a problem with hi-tech weapons, they didn't make the greatest clubs.

The source of the earlier chunk of debris proved to be a Fin in a walker, standing a little ways down the docking row. He had a second large chunk of debris ready to throw, but there was Aubrey right next to him. She had her wing raised to halt the fin, an act which displayed a large amount of partially dried blood covering the feathers of that wing. Behind her was a substantial crowd of various races, all staring at Boris and actively trying not to cower. There was also a goat in the arms of one of the felids. The goat waggled its feet at Boris impudently.

Step one, find away team, partial check. He had Aubrey, though Khate and Scarlet were not in evidence.

Kesari

Kesari felt pretty good about herself. She'd beefed up AIDS to enough of an extent that it could infect the Flounder's systems. She wasn't exactly sure how she was going to remove it, or even if it would be possible to do so without a couple days and the ability to shut down the entire station's system at her leisure. It didn't particularly matter at the moment- they'd hopefully be VERY far away when the bill came in for fixing the station. The PA system, unfortunately, seemed to have buffers designed to prevent multiple overlapping messages or sub-hypnotic riders, most likely an incidental effect of software designed to make the signal clearer when announcements were made. Still, Kari had coaxed the Reunion to pipe through one of the more disturbing advertisements in its repetoire. Everything else but the PA system had received one of two cocktails. Kesari's enemies had received a never ending stream of Spa advertisements, random clips from historical war videos, children laughing, test tones, classical music, screaming animals, speed-metal, mathematical formulas, and greatly amplified audio slipped in from some of the worst elements of Khate's download history. 

Her allies, meanwhile, got something to help them in their solemn hour, along with a couple remixes from her old days. It was an odd time to miss being a DJ, but it had been a brief, bright period- even if it hadn't ended up being her calling.

Sadish

"I suppose it's not surprising...at least I have another mystery to solve while I'm here. Is there any way to communicate with these holograms? I believe they were created as parts of my 'digital soul', to put it poetically. If they're like me, they have been learning about these poor creatures, and maybe trying to help them. If only with a bit of light."

Action: Think about ways I could communicate with the hologram programs, unless provided an answer. Something I would think of. Because they might be like me?

Aimasc shrugged. "They don't make really make much in the way of sound, never anything sensible anyway. They're definitely advanced, but I gave up trying to get them to do anything some time ago. I had once hoped they'd help me talk to the rest of you, but that was an infuriatingly fruitless endeavor."

Sadish nodded to herself, then beckoned one of her mini-me duplicates over. It obligingly swam through the air and began diving in an out of Sadish's bedding. It took another couple of moments for Sadish to get its attention with one of her displays screens, one that showed a large whale-moji making a skeptical face. The little hologram stopped, bumped into the screen once, and then formed itself into Sadish's whale-moji for 'Barely-Contained-Laughter' before exploding in a shower of blue sparks.

It reformed on the other side of the room, winking at Sadish before turning into a glowing blue cake. Almost immediately, eight more mini Sadishes swam through the walls of the room and circled around the cake. Each one tried to tug for a part of the cake, but none of them couldn't get any of it free.  This went on for a couple of seconds before the entire group of glowing holo-clones turned to synchronously regard Sadish with sad eyes.

"That's... different."
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2017, 06:33:15 pm »

"-and thanks for the shuttle, I'm glad we could reach a healthy compromise. My man will be back soon enough, however you have your jump coordinates input and if you can check the map I uploaded, it's a pretty nice location overall. Is there anything else?" Kesari finished, speaking to the shuttle crew that Mickaw had left behind alongside his probably-second-in-command who was seemingly quite a nice guy despite the gruffness of a possible bomb exploding in a hangar. She would've also talked a bit about Mickaw truthfully and honestly with how best the quality of the videofeed was, assuming they'd asked--her memory was swimmingly unsure if she did that in hindsight as she was busy focusing on the needs of the now: the team, and helping Boris' shuttle out as far as the Reunion's signal could manage. Reluctantly, she was typing in how fast her thoughts could go, as far as her tech harness could manage. It sounded quite informal.

Quote from: Boris! :O
How goes the mission! Hopefully the station could recognize the code I spliced into the shuttle--otherwise given all I've sent through the Auditory Interference, it wouldn't have picked up quite well as it would.

Did you find anyone yet? That goes for Sadish too!

Quote from: Scarlet! {Excerpt; away team mass messaging}
I haven't had any word from the rest of you--you and Khate--until the videoscreens exploded with decompression; are you all okay?

As an aside, she promised herself to relabel the audio files of common music played in one's free time. One of those 'classical' music files sounded differently classy than the others. That would go under the "Esthetic" category. Sadly it only had humans in it, but that's what made it classical, alongside how many hits it received--it never ended over time!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2017, 10:14:36 pm »

"Me? Nothing," Khate answered grimly, nodding down at Scarlet. "This is our medic. We have a biofin and her lab aboard our ship, she'd be the one you'd really want to talk to.

Your best bet may be to have her fix her enough for her to stabilize her long enough to reach her."

Then she leaned over Scarlet.

"Are you okay?" she asked in a gentle, apologetic tone. "We have a nursebot here if that will help, but the panther needs help too and the nursebot can't do animals. Also Varkonius will kill literally everyone if she dies."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27