Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.  (Read 52186 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2016, 09:45:54 am »

Boris took in Sadish's explanation with a growing thinking expression. Sadish would have had a hard time telling if the human was even hearing what she was saying until her mention of terrible things happening with the away team.

'That was quick. I hope they didn't waste my explosives,' Boris said. 'Hmh. What would we need to grow more of this mold? You might be able to avoid radiation death, after all.'

Though the reactor was still being worn out, so even if he found a way to coat the reactor in the mold, it wouldn't necessarily help in the end. He needed to go back to the reactor and communicate with the... entity. His child? Boris had never had children with the wreck of a starship before. He wasn't sure of what to think, so he needed to find out more.

'Let me know if they need new limbs,' Boris grunted. 'I'm going back to the reactor.'

Head back to reactor. Look for signs of more magic mystery mold.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2016, 10:50:18 am »

'That was quick. I hope they didn't waste my explosives,' Boris said. 'Hmh. What would we need to grow more of this mold? You might be able to avoid radiation death, after all.'

"Hmm, you know, Kesari seemed quite excited at the prospect of a hydroponics lab being created in the tanning salon. She actually did a backflip as soon a I mentioned the possibility. It's climate controlled, with adequate systems for water filtration, and controlling ambient light, perfect for growing all sorts of things. I could handle making the garden, but I'd need to have help installing any replacement equipment it needs-engineering is not my specialty-and, someone else will have to make sure the ships computer doesn't randomly set everything on fire."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »

Sadish didn't have much to do right now, so she decided to update the ships newsletter some more. It hadn't been hard to co-opt the former ships hard copy news service to fit the crews needs. She was usually the only volunteer to work on it, however...

Spoiler: Starset Chrono (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:08:14 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2016, 05:09:35 pm »

Khate could sense the growing feelings of unease in her comrades. That wavering uncertainty that occurred when the current deal was no good but the other deal involved a lot of amazing footage. She was usually content to let her allies handle the negotiating and deciding in these things, but there came a time when they needed assistance with the actual execution.

"Your offer is unacceptable!" she boomed, autocannon revving up dramatically towards a firing pitch. That telegraphed her intentions to hell, which she knew was not super wise against a mindhack, but showmanship was important. Also Scarlet had it covered.

"The penalty... IS RAINBOWS!"

Paint the kitty! In a very telegraphed fashion that leaves a clever mindhack room to adjust that outcome.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2016, 09:01:47 pm »

Scarlet sighs and steps out of the way of the barrage. "So much for that offer. God fucking damn it, Khate. Can't say it was very attractive, though." She turns her head slightly toward Clarke, keeping one eye on the Claw in case she tried anything funny. "Where's everyone else at, and if you do want to get out of here - which I'd recommend - where are we dumping your asses? Don't suppose anyone knows where a particular metal lump would be, either."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:13 pm »

Kesari felt herself doing something she nearly forgot after years of time in a myriad number of places: Her tail was wagging in joy.

That was until she noticed her follow-through to the accidental-not-really-accidental electronic advertising. A jolt of shock and panic ran through her until she remembered what else she was going to do with the yet-unsent code order. She counted several Fibonacci's (which was her personal way of counting down seconds by syllables because of how the numbers 'jived' even if the words didn't, like how humans said 'mississipee' or something--it sounded so much not like geography and a lot more like physiology until she learned of ancient history) until she released the counter-code to stem the tide of not-really--illegally-intrusive-advertising along with her personalized apologies. The timing was more to make it seem like accounting for person-error.

That mostly done as far as she hoped, she sent a message to Aubrey--which would parse onto the rest of the away-team's communicators, in a way that she knew Aubrey would get the context and not take everything she wrote literally.
Quote from: Kes :D
O...kay, I think I pressed the wrong button and...um, how's everyone doing?
...In case anything was intercepted.

Send apologies with digital hugs and professional marketing admission of technical errors outwards.
Hopefully hope that the signal isn't going to continue past reasonable boundaries.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:35:29 pm by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2016, 04:23:40 am »

Finding time to check her messaging, Aubrey replies as quickly as possible, but unfortunately leaves time for Khate to get involved in the diplomatic proceedings…

Quote from: message to ship
Greetings, ship. Situation is under control. Thank you for advertising service. I liked it very much and may be interested in browsing another time soon. Please request BM to prepare furthest departure possible in 300 seconds. Keep us updated on any approaching activity.

”Clarke. Perhaps you know of the location of an important piece of metal brought on board the station? Surely a man with an eye for detail like you would notice such important luggage being brought on board? By the one with the panther?”

Aubrey prepares to overload and break the cat’s enhancements if she does indeed try anything funny.

Otherwise, search the station systems for Varkonius’s room and the way there. I don’t suppose there is any computer record of his having brought on important luggage?

Is there a quick way of connecting the control of all the doors between us and the target to my mindhack abilities? If this would be feasible, do so, perhaps whilst Khate and Scarlet secure the prisoners.

Then, when they are ready, let’s check the store room we were held prisoner in and then head to outside of Varkonius’ room.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:54 am »

Aubrey

Quote from: message to ship
Greetings, ship. Situation is under control. Thank you for advertising service. I liked it very much and may be interested in browsing another time soon. Please request BM to prepare furthest departure possible in 300 seconds. Keep us updated on any approaching activity.

”Clarke. Perhaps you know of the location of an important piece of metal brought on board the station? Surely a man with an eye for detail like you would notice such important luggage being brought on board? By the one with the panther?”

Aubrey prepares to overload and break the cat’s enhancements if she does indeed try anything funny.

Otherwise, search the station systems for Varkonius’s room and the way there. I don’t suppose there is any computer record of his having brought on important luggage?

Is there a quick way of connecting the control of all the doors between us and the target to my mindhack abilities? If this would be feasible, do so, perhaps whilst Khate and Scarlet secure the prisoners.

Then, when they are ready, let’s check the store room we were held prisoner in and then head to outside of Varkonius’ room.

Quick was difficult when advertisements kept popping up every five minutes, espousing all manner of relaxing distractions that one could partake of at the Starset resort. Apparently, due to under-booking, there were some really amazing sales currently available- not that many of the products offered were even viable anymore. Thankfully, around the seventeenth special offer Aubrey was forced to decline, the advertisements stopped abruptly. Evidently Kari had cut the broadcast, an assertion validated by a broadwaved apology coming from the Reunion a second later. It was a good move, one that might engender suspicion, but one that ensured that onlookers would have considerable difficulty in determining whether the jamming had been malicious or accidental.

Once the advertisements were gone, Aubrey was able to work on the terminal without restriction. A map was the first and easiest thing to get, downloading it and sending copies to Khate and Scarlet. The hostel was a short distance away, close to the docks in order to make checking in and out as quick and easy as possible. The hostel and the reception systems were semi-separate, and while she could probably gain access from where she was, it didn't seem all that advantageous to do so. A quick search for the room number Fuzzy had provided showed that reception had sent a message to the hostel to reserve the room for one guest and one pet a little less than an hour ago. Slightly after that a second transaction from Varkonius was logged, buying a two-way ticket on an automated shuttle down to the planet. All things considered, the timeline made the efficient take-down of the station just a little bit impressive. It also meant that Varkonius couldn't have had time to do much else besides rent the room, throw his stuff inside, and ride a charter shuttle down to the planet. 

Linking door control to her implants was a complex task, and the best she was able to do on short notice was link to the fire suppression systems. That would let her close or open all local doors, but without specificity. Either they'd all be open, or they'd all be closed.

"Important... piece of m-metal?" Clarke stammered, his expression increasingly confused. "No, the man with the p-panther brought one bag with him, but it looked light. He c-checked it in as toiletries for his p-panther."

Khate

Khate could sense the growing feelings of unease in her comrades. That wavering uncertainty that occurred when the current deal was no good but the other deal involved a lot of amazing footage. She was usually content to let her allies handle the negotiating and deciding in these things, but there came a time when they needed assistance with the actual execution.

"Your offer is unacceptable!" she boomed, autocannon revving up dramatically towards a firing pitch. That telegraphed her intentions to hell, which she knew was not super wise against a mindhack, but showmanship was important. Also Scarlet had it covered.

"The penalty... IS RAINBOWS!"

Paint the kitty! In a very telegraphed fashion that leaves a clever mindhack room to adjust that outcome.

The Claw's eyes went very wide when she realized what was about to happen. Unfortunately, she was either not particularly clever or simply too afraid of the laser rifle Scarlet had pointed between her eyes to defend herself in any meaningful way. There was a brief babble of semi-intelligible begging for Khate to be reasonable, followed by much less intelligible mewling for general mercy when high-velocity paintballs started pummeling her.

The mindhack was rather thoroughly painted to the wall by the time Khate stopped firing. Without the force of constant impacts to keep her up, she twitched slightly and pealed off the reception booth, hitting the ground with a wet thud. She left behind a rather cartoonish outline of a Claw in rainbow paint, a detail which Khate centered in her footage.

Showmanship was not a lost art, not if Khate had anything to say about it.

Scarlet

Scarlet sighs and steps out of the way of the barrage. "So much for that offer. God fucking damn it, Khate. Can't say it was very attractive, though." She turns her head slightly toward Clarke, keeping one eye on the Claw in case she tried anything funny. "Where's everyone else at, and if you do want to get out of here - which I'd recommend - where are we dumping your asses? Don't suppose anyone knows where a particular metal lump would be, either."

Scarlet watched, disinterested, as Khate warcrimed the Felid into the wall. If the Felid had offered the entire cut of her crew, a good 25%, it still probably wouldn't have been worth it. As it was, 12.5% wasn't enough to even bother objecting to Khate's form of extreme negotiations. Clarke, however, looked rather horrified that the giant mech-dog had just gunned down the prisoner. Which did present Scarlet an opportunity to question him while he was off balance.

"Uh, o-others? Um, y-yes," Clarke stammered, running his fingers through his hair as he stared at the slumped mindhack. "They locked most everyone inside their rooms, e-except the hostel staff and me. They needed me in c-case they needed me for something with the terminal, and they w-wanted the people from the hostel because of something to do with the man who c-checked in with the p-p-panther." Clarke swallowed visible, wrenching his eyes away from the multicolored bodies of the fallen and fixing them on his feet. "T-there's an orbital AL-Loy complex, near the s-sun. If you could d-drop us o-off there, or with a patrol s-ship, we'd be grateful. I d-don't know what you mean b-by a metal lump, but there's some e-engineering supplies in the maintenance b-bay."

Kesari

Send apologies with digital hugs and professional marketing admission of technical errors outwards.
Hopefully hope that the signal isn't going to continue past reasonable boundaries.

After a measured delay, Kari cut the advertising deluge, letting the communications of the other ships breathe for a minute. The AL-Loy ship in orbit buzzed the Reunion with a light scan and administered a token admonishment along with a list of fees for disrupting communications traffic.They did, however, accept Kari's explanation that it was a mistake and went silent after the admonishment. Leniency in extracting fines wasn't really a merchant circle behavior, but it was possible that the captain of the AL-Loy vessel was a bit too preoccupied with unraveling the situation at hand to risk poking the ant hill so directly.

Calming the Reunion down after the tide of advertising had been stemmed required a bit of work, as it kept identifying new and even better targets that it could hit if Kesari just let it off the chain for a little while longer. Oddly, the sensor jamming around the ship that Varkonius' buyer was likely aboard seemed to be causing it some trouble- it kept trying to target advertising as though there were two separate ships there.

A small burst of planetside radiation, consistent with the critical reactor failure of a small shuttle, stole Kari's attention. The radiation bloom had occurred from the Ciccio farm. Whether or not Varkonius had survived, one shuttle was definitely down.

Boris

Head back to reactor. Look for signs of more magic mystery mold.

Boris stumped back to the reactor, somewhat more thoughtful. He needed to finish his work, but it also be a very good plan to see what or who was speaking to him, handing him tools, and delivering him thoughtful packages of mold. Back in Strengar, there was more than one cult that believed that the ships themselves had ghosts, old and powerful spirits that longed to be whole. Some said that such spirits could even take physical form in times of great need, but it all seemed like the same brand of religiousity to Boris. He'd never seen it happen, hadn't ever met anyone credible who'd seen it happen either. What stories that appeared viable always turned out to be the result of some perfectly scientific automated system on board said ship.

Still, whether a product of his own mind or not, the near-silent hum of the Reunion seemed heaving with a sense of anticipation.

Back with the reactor, nothing had changed. Boris wasn't exactly certain what he'd expected, but the chamber was as clear of mold as it had ever been. No new gifts had been laid out for him, and no susurrus of voices spoke to him from the walls. There wasn't even a sense of being watched- just an empty reactor with a partially complete flask system.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2016, 11:28:57 am »

Kesari nudged thought aside and instead chose to message everyone else within reason of encryption about it.
Quote from: Kes :D
Hey teammates,

Another round of good news and bad news.
Good news is that our advertising is ok and nothing bad happened because accidents happen and everyone is reasonable.

Bad news is the farm is irradiated. In the least that's what I have when our sensors detected a bloom from and around the Ciccio farm--analytics indicate at least one whole shuttle being downed, unsure about anything else at this point. Seems like a bomb detonation given the 'bloom' effect being observed. Something is going on that I don't feel well with. Varkonius wasn't mentioned to have that kind of equipment on his person, right?

How goes everything there? :D

Focus scans on the area of the 'buyer' (indirect scanning and sensor sweeps), and on the general area or trajectory of shuttles from the Ciccio farm. Pinpoint Varkonius' best probable location!

"How's it going here, Captain?" Kesari said over the ship intercom. "Is everything ship-shape?"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:33:06 am by Tiruin »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »

"Don't look at them like that, we're going nonlethal here," Scarlet grumped at the man before sighing. "Looks like the package isn't on-station, so we're gonna have to poke around Varkonius's ship. We doing that or trying to scoop up all the staff first?" Chances are the situation was going to get hostile, just as the Claw had predicted; and they wouldn't have anything near the element of surprise that they'd had on this little prison break. She fidgeted idly with the rifle, the only clue to her anxiousness. Damn, this is weird. Everything about this is way too sketchy.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2016, 04:30:03 pm »

Sadish noticed a lot less time had passed than she thought, or maybe it was a lot more.

Either way, it was time to get back to work. She decided the next mystery was to find out why the fungus mantis organ, had seemingly grown and detached a smaller part of itself...

Action: Since time limbo isn't a thing, Sadish decides to investigate the mystery of the spontaneously budding fungus mantis organ, mentioned more than a week ago by the GM, probably as throwaway fluff. Maybe we can work out the kinks in the animation process...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:27:40 pm by Dwarmin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »

What was the human expression? Balls. On reflection there was no reason to have supposed anything they'd tried would have worked, and it greatly irritated Aubrey that they should have been rushed - or just stupid - enough to try it. She much preferred a plan based on observation. But that wasn't all that she didn't like about this bloody mess. At least if they fought their way through the damned station they'd know what's what. No, that would be as stupid.

"We have to go, don't we. If you two secure the prisoners in the cupboard, I'll see if I can get the access code for his ship. Okay? Clarke - please inform me where is the access code for station access to docked ships? I would prefer not to ask the Cain to request this data from you."

Zee could find one for ours, so I'm sure we can get one for his, right? Acquire an access code. If not forthcoming from the computer, acquire it from Clarke. Then try to jam shut the doors around the reception area, except the one we need to take to Varkonius's ship. Obviously though time is of the essence, so don't do it if it'll take too long.

"Wait. Clarke? Did you see the man with the panther? Did you see him actually board the shuttle to the surface?"

The horrible thought that Varkonius was still on his ship, waiting for them, began to surface. It would be the obvious thing to do, in fact.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2016, 05:37:38 pm »

'Hello? Thing? ...child?' Boris tried, not really expecting to get an answer. The entity didn't seem to be present, though perhaps his words would draw it out of hiding. He had a lot of questions for it.

The thing had asked him to have mercy when he'd been installing the Flask, which implied doing so would harm it in some way... or perhaps that had been a coincidence. He couldn't even be totally sure if the voice had meant 'mercy' as mercy, and not referred to Mercies in general, or perhaps the ship. The voice's words didn't make much sense in that case, but he needed to consider all the possibilities when dealing with the unknown.

In any case, he couldn't risk continuing with the installation before he had some answers. The crew would probably survive.

Call out to the voice and try to get a response. If nothing, try continuing work on the Flask in an attempt to trigger another communication, but don't go too far.

If nothing works, start checking all systems for irregularites: strange power drains, unusual sensor readings, machinery doing things without orders, other parts of the ship that are being worn down faster than they should be.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »

Khate didn't see the point in securing the prisoners, but she didn't have much else to do anyway.

"Into the box!"

Drag the KO'd mercies into the closet they locked the un-KO'd mercies in.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »

Aubrey

"We have to go, don't we. If you two secure the prisoners in the cupboard, I'll see if I can get the access code for his ship. Okay? Clarke - please inform me where is the access code for station access to docked ships? I would prefer not to ask the Cain to request this data from you."

Zee could find one for ours, so I'm sure we can get one for his, right? Acquire an access code. If not forthcoming from the computer, acquire it from Clarke. Then try to jam shut the doors around the reception area, except the one we need to take to Varkonius's ship. Obviously though time is of the essence, so don't do it if it'll take too long.

"Wait. Clarke? Did you see the man with the panther? Did you see him actually board the shuttle to the surface?"

The horrible thought that Varkonius was still on his ship, waiting for them, began to surface. It would be the obvious thing to do, in fact.

Getting authorization codes for the ships docked was simple. Zee had done a number on security, and she'd had Clarke's login credentials to boot. What should have required a security override and the permission of a senior member of the station took a single keystroke. Eight docking override codes popped up, alongside the ships' public information.

Spoiler: Terminal Info (click to show/hide)

Getting to Varkonius' ship just meant traversing the outer edge of the station- a short jog and probably a single door between to prevent one catastrophe from taking out all docking cradles. Aubrey pulled the map up and quickly shut down every local door that she didn't need, a feat that was accomplished in seconds with the aid of the console.

Khate

Khate didn't see the point in securing the prisoners, but she didn't have much else to do anyway.

"Into the box!"

Drag the KO'd mercies into the closet they locked the un-KO'd mercies in.

Khate dragged the unconscious/paralyzed/too-broken-to-continue mercenaries into a conveniently open storage room down the hall. It was dark, quiet, out of the way, and looked like it was recently used. The groaning Cane out front was pretty decent proof of that. Khate smashed her powered armored jaw into the hound's head before he recovered further and flung him into the little storage room turned penalty-box to join the others. It would have been a perfect throw, except for the fact that Aubrey apparently took that moment to shut down all the doors.

Most of the Cane made it through before the door slammed shut. Heck, 99% made it through. There was just this little... puff... of tail hair sticking out of the door. Khate winced inside her mech and tried to poke the hair through- to no avail. Yeah, he was definitely going to have a bald spot, along with all the burned and broken spots.

Kesari

Focus scans on the area of the 'buyer' (indirect scanning and sensor sweeps), and on the general area or trajectory of shuttles from the Ciccio farm. Pinpoint Varkonius' best probable location!

"How's it going here, Captain?" Kesari said over the ship intercom. "Is everything ship-shape?"

The fact that there was no reply to Kari's message worried her. Granted, it wasn't like Scarlet, Aubrey, or Khate were weak or unable to take care of themselves, but it was occasionally nerve-wracking being so far out of reach. Even with the Reunion's sensors, there was only so much she could see, and even less that she could actually influence. Instead, she focused on scanning more deeply into the anomalous reading surrounding the ship that was likely the buyer's, trying to get a trajectory for any shuttles emerging from the Ciccio farm, and sending a short query to the Authority vessel.

The Authority vessel's response was a quick, somewhat rude, variation on the standard pattern of 'please keep this channel free except for official communications or emergency broadcasts'. From what the Reunion could detect, the emergence of the buyer's ship, and its rather obvious jamming field, was accompanied by a considerable uptick in communications activity to and from the Authority vessel. There was a chance, not an insignificant one, that the Authority vessel would detain the buyer before he ever made it to port, which, honestly, probably wasn't the worst thing that could happen. The Authority vessel was also dropping orbit, very likely in response to the nuclear signs on the planet. That kind of thing was typically worth quite a bit of ire, even if it was due to the (unlikely) innocent malfunction of a reactor, especially on an agri-world.

The Scans of the buyer's vessel continued to yield nothing but conflicting information. The ship had zero mass, it had the mass of a moon, it was communications dark, it the comms traffic of a data-mining satellite, it was both impossible hot and impossibly cold. The only measurements that Kari could trust were direct visual metrics, and even those kept registering oddly. The jammer was powerful, and it was little wonder that the Reunion kept trying to acquire two ships instead of one when she tried to lock onto the buyer's vessel.

Scanning planetside revealed two shuttle burn signatures trying to break atmosphere, both coming out recklessly sharp and hot. Something had destroyed the communications signature of both shuttles, making it impossible to tell if either, both, or none were part of the group of four that Kari had identified landing on the planet earlier.

"Merciful Reunion Docking Authority, this is Mickaw Tansk, under the command of Captain Wilcox. We are requesting permission to land a pair of short range shuttles in your dock. Do you acknowledge?"

Kesari's brow furrowed in confusion, surely he couldn't mean... Kari traced the signal back, matching it to a vessel, one of the gunships, that had once been docked at the Flounder. The ship was in the process of untethering, and appeared to be reorienting to focus on the Reunion. They almost certainly did not mean that the two shuttles coming out of atmo should dock with the Reunion, which meant that they, complete strangers as far as Kari was aware, wanted to come aboard the Reunion. Possibly bad. Probably bad, actually.

Boris

Call out to the voice and try to get a response. If nothing, try continuing work on the Flask in an attempt to trigger another communication, but don't go too far.

If nothing works, start checking all systems for irregularites: strange power drains, unusual sensor readings, machinery doing things without orders, other parts of the ship that are being worn down faster than they should be.

There was no response to Boris' calls, just the hollow echo of his own voice on the metal walls. None of his tools were out of place, nothing in the room had changed, there was nothing but the quiet hum of the ship around him. With that stillness around him, Boris slowly resumed work on the flask, his motions slow and deliberate. If it truly objected to the flask, then perhaps a focus on getting it installed would cause it re-emerge. Hopefully it wouldn't be too terribly forceful in its efforts to stop Boris' work.

No vengeful ghost emerged, however. There was no presence, no voice, not even a shiver of an out of place sound as Boris worked. Frustrated, Boris stopped after installing another buffer panel, a clear action that, if this thing had any objections, should have provoked a reaction. Boris settled into his suit, locking the leg joints and pulling up the long term diagnostic displays on his frame. He knew them by heart, but it didn't hurt to look again. Going back to the very day he'd linked the diagnostic blister onto the Reunion's core, Boris started speed reviewing the readings.

On the side for something else living on the ship, there were the omnipresent ghost readings. Since he'd restored the Reunion, there had been readings on motion sensors in areas of the ship that were too radioactive or too otherwise hazardous to be habitable. These sections of the ship had been sealed off before Boris' time, likely in an effort to reduce the spread of the damage. It also meant that power to those areas had been cut so that the ship's computer could feel that it was doing a good job efficiently managing utilities. That mean no gravity, which meant lots of floating shit, which was what Boris and the others had always used to explain the signal ghosts. Investigating the signals in reclaimed sections of the ship had never managed to turn anything up, just debris and more debris.

As far as unusual power draws, the only ones cam from medical, and that was because the computer was hardcoded to always divert power to medical- probably to keep it from shutting the power down because it wasn't cost-effective to keep someone on life support. The power drain there was constant, uninterrupted, and had never deviated in Boris' memory. Reading thee diagnostics only confirmed that point.

As far as maintenance issues went... There was a peculiar pattern here, but not one of excess usage. Rather, every system in a dead zone that Boris had thought he'd needed to suit up and go bang on had either seemed to fix itself when other problems were corrected, or had outlived his wildest expectations for longevity. The Reunion was a tough girl, but, on review, the ruggedness of some of these systems was approaching the territory of miraculous. If there was a ghost, it was pretty good with a wrench.

Sadish

Action: Since time limbo isn't a thing, Sadish decides to investigate the mystery of the spontaneously budding fungus mantis organ, mentioned more than a week ago by the GM, probably as throwaway fluff. Maybe we can work out the kinks in the animation process...

Sadish had expected this budded organelle to be uselessly cancerous. Organs, after all, were not typically well renowned for their ability to reproduce. On review, however, she determined that she definitely needed a life fungal mantis for study. It was not an organelle, well, not really.  It was a piece of hyphae, which was remarkable in and of itself. The implication was that, for at least part of the fungal mantis' life cycle, it was even more fungal than Sadish had expected. It also provided a rather vital detail into why the original organ wasn't operating at full capacity- she'd oversimplified how they grew up.

In short, if they did produce hyphae, then that meant they spent some amount of time as a communal fungus, and only later became the nine-foot tall ravenous death monsters that the Crew had encountered. It also meant that attempting to clone the organ directly into adulthood had missed a stage of life development, very likely stunting it in some manner. This hyphae must be the fungal mantis' biology attempting to get back on track. In theory, if properly nurtured, it would go through the life cycle all over from the beginning. Sort of like if Sadish had been able to harvest an egg!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27