Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.  (Read 52110 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

OOC Thread

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)
---

"The target is a thief and killer for hire known as Varkonius Markuli Davar. He's a mass murderer, terrorist, and has stolen a national treasure. We would like to... contract with your group as an auxiliary to our normal law-enforcement. The contract is not exclusive, but the individual who is able to bring back the the Exile's Star intact will be rewarded richly and have the gratitude of an empire."

The briefing room of the HMS Merciful Reunion was sparsely occupied by those members of her crew that had deemed a live connection to the client a worthwhile event. For the most part, the converted theater was unoccupied, its several hundred person capacity now host to a maximum of six and whatever concessions they chose to bring in with them. The speaker on the stage, magnified to a thirty foot tall talking head, was a Cane vizier of the Tiamen Federation and greatly resembled a fuzzy potato with excellent grooming habits. High gravity worlds tended to create his particular blend of squashed features and stout anatomy, but his rank, power, and (most importantly) his pocket book, were all well worth notice. The pay offered for the job was substantial, enough to re-up the Reunion's reactor for the next year and still have money to burn on sundries. Granted, it also had the potential to pay absolutely nothing if they couldn't beat every other crew the Tiamen had hired to go after Varkonius and his artifact.

"Varkonius, from what intelligence our bureau has gathered, has fled into the arms of the AL-Loy trading group and their associated worlds. Our vessels are not allowed full access there, and thus our own efforts are compromised. We do know the general area of his activity, a hub station called the Flounder, and, though much of his communication has been encrypted, we do have information that is going to engage in an on-planet trade exchange."

Someone who bothered to take notes at the briefing would probably have been furiously underlining the name AL-Loy, and, in Khate's case, drawing tiny skulls next to it. AL-Loy is a big name, with tendrils in pretty much every enterprise and a substantial share of Apex tech. They're essentially an empire unto themselves, owning solar systems outright and 'keeping the peace' in their domain through a mixture of embargoes, blockades, and, when needed, very public war. One particular notable example is the entertainment program "Goliath Falls", which is a reality show shot entirely by spybots, and it follows the lives and families of fighter pilots in the service of a rebelling client empire that is currently engaged in a bitter (and losing) battle with the AL-Loy trading group.

"We expect the message that negotiated the exchange is coded, despite its lack of encryption. It identifies that Varkonius purchased a pair of goats from an on-world farm, and will be flying down to pick them up. Owing to the fact that there is not logical reason for a merc-" the talking head stumbles for a moment, then catches himself "-godless killer to purchase a pair of goats hints strongly that this a smuggling deal of some kind, or perhaps even a trap for pursuers. We don't have enough information to say for certain. This is a dangerous and cunning individual. Suspect treachery from everything."

If someone had the inclination to run a search on Varkonius (with the appropriate filters and specifiers need to get a semi-accurate result) they'd probably be directed quickly to both a host of news bulletins and the human's own contact page, complete with resume, past jobs, and example rates. The news bulletins indicate omnicide as a fundamental part of the man's character, with multiple events ending in the absolute destruction of the building complex, starship, and, in one case, space station he'd been sent to. His resume lists him as an expert engineer, with a (now revoked due to terrorist actions on his home world) license in type III reactor mechanics and a first class education in metafield sciences. It also lists a shockingly long list of people he's killed and things he's blown up.

"Additional, unclassified, information will be provided to you as needed. Due to the nature of the operation, you will not be provided a priority access to Tiamen communications and will have to make your requests through standard channels. Do you understand the terms of the contract?"

Spoiler: Kesari 'Kari' Alessaei (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Khate 'Gunpuppy' Rhigg (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aubrey Brakhadakh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scarlet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Boris Mundus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sadish "The Restless" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:05:18 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:49:49 am »

((PTW!))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:26:58 am »

So. They were butting up against AL-Loy. Scarlet mentally notes that she should expect some unusual technological nastiness, then nods in response to the Cane speaking. "Got it. Anything special we should know about the Exile's Star? Handling instructions, that kinda thing, wouldn't want to break it on the way back."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:30:36 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:00:19 am »

The hologram's ear twitches furiously at the notion of 'breaking' the artifact. "The Star is... durable. Still, we ask that you exercise care in its handling. Damages will be deducted commensurately from your pay."

The image flickers and splits into two, the vizier's head on the right, and what one would presume to be the Exile's star on the left. The exile's star looks a great deal like a malformed lump of molten metal, about a foot long and three inches in diameter and the widest bulge. It looks like space trash.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 11:31:10 am »

Sadish was hulking somewhere in the back, only paying partial attention to the communication. She heard the words 'Exile's star' and connected it with the Tiamen Federation...

In truth, most of her mind was occupied by fiddling with her Senolight Puzzle Box (again). Since every time you solved it, it did something 'amazing', then made itself into a new configuration to solve. As far she could tell it, was a childs toy from some vanished Apex Civilization.

Last time she solved it, the box had switched the minds and bodies and everyone in the room for a few hours...that had been 'fun'. The time before, it had changed Kesari's coat purple with white polka dots, for some reason. And, the time before that it had made several holographic clones of Sadish (More or less copying her mind in digital format) that had followed the entire crew around for several days, talking to them all about the puzzle box, and pretty much everything in general. And some of the holograms had solved their own boxes, causing even more Sadish's to appear...they had ended up locking them in a forgotten corner of the ship. She briefly wondered how many there were now...

This new configuration, well, it was very difficult...click, click...click!

Action: I probably know what the Exiles Star is! What else do I know about the Tiamen and their wonderful history? I am the GM loredump.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 11:33:39 am »

Boris Mundus watched the briefing with a sullen frown. His mechanized limbs whirred and clicked as he shifted in place. He reclined backwards while the metal skeleton of his legs stood straight and rigid under him; an impossibly unnatural position for anyone not augmented like he was. The bulky central frame of his augmentations rose from his aged flesh through his spine.

He dragged his hand across his face in frustration. The best job they'd been able to find was a near-guaranteed trap? There were simpler ways to kill oneself. Still, they needed the money. He needed the money, and so many needed him.

The 'Exile's Star' didn't look like much, but... Boris sent out a message on the crew's private channel. Even after all these years, the bastard-tongue of Common felt unnatural in his mouth.

How much is this rock worth? Anyone know? Maybe we can find others who'd pay more for it, hm?

He doubted the latter, but just knowing the estimated value of this thing would keep these voidgrabbing Tiamen wasters from underpaying them.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:04:47 pm »

Khate bounced a little in her seat from excitement, but didn't say anything to the head. The others tended to like it better when they did the talking. They were good at talking!

Instead, she continued to scribble notes and images of people being shot by lasers. A mechanical brace in her mouth let her work the pencil with impressive skill based on the precise movements of her tongue and jaw, thereby decreasing the amount of head turning needed. A very common gadget among Canes, in her experience.

"No idea!" she responded cheerfully over the private channel. "But since the money is for the star, we could get more money selling the mass murderer!"

Khate would be lying if she said she didn't think he'd be a fantastic addition to Dead Neo Running. She'd also be lying if she said she wasn't going to record the whole affair. And she'd definitely be lying if she said Al-Loy probably wasn't filming their own, inferior, amazing action series about the dreaded mass murderer Varkonius Markuli Davar, driven to desperation, pursued at every corner, making his final stand in a blood-soaked station of carnage, who will triumph in this life or death struggle of-

Khate began bouncing and scribbling a little faster.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »

Sadish looked up from her cube and joined in the conversation over the private channel.

"Alternately, obtaining the Star could allow us to bypass having to deal with Mr. Varkonius. He does sound very bothersome to deal with! In fact, I believe he is not the primary thing are employers are seeking for us to reclaim here.

Also, I am currently collating an answer to the previous question. The history of the Tiamen Republic is wonderful, truly. Did you know they used to consider Neo-Dolphins a delicacy in their early colonial days? I believe it had something to do with certain cultural practices imported from the Tiaqaran ritualist movement of the 34th Occulum. That being the fourth major religious movement of Tiqaran Prime! I personally enjoy the finwave-orchestrations of that period, very moving. Eight spears length has never yet been repeated in a non-Apex civilization without cranial disjunction to a non-biomodded audience, and that's quite an accomplishment, don't you think? A shame they ate the hearts of the musicians afterwards, but like I said-34th occulum, a bit messy for everyone involved!"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:51:14 pm »

Goats could be bluff. Double bluff. Misdirection. Direction. Couldn't fit two goats in Bird. Could fit space rock. Hum. Who would want space rock? Who would know who wants space rock... Possibly no one except he who wants it and he who has it...

Aubrey spoke up on the private channel, "Yes... lovely. And useful. Who wants the space rock would be interesting to know... And why goats?"

Action: ask Cane:

"Why Exile Star is National Treasure?"

Also action: check the flight computer. How far are we from AL-Loy space? Could we reach it by passing the Nakhos II system or the space station Deliria, for example? They're nearby-ish, right?

Aubrey'd done more than a couple of jobs in the Nakhos systems and still had contacts - she couldn't think of anywhere she'd been closer to AL-Loy territory, except of course the non-stationary trading space station Deliria. It was a place where gossip gathered and was peddled - chiefly by the bars manager, Furry Sam. It was a joke, of course - he was the baldest feline in the galaxy, but people still loved him despite his repulsive skin folds. His cocktails packed a mean punch and boy he could talk... he had a way with every species. He'd had his way with every species, rumour had it. Anyway... It's where Aubrey had first started picking jobs back up after getting out. No one there could really be trusted, but if there was news to know, it should be there. Well, should be on the station. It's non-stationary, so who knows exactly where that should be. Not too hard to find though with a bit of patience and a rough idea.

Spoiler: Aubrey Brakhadakh (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:58:00 pm by lawastooshort »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 03:31:22 pm »

Action: I probably know what the Exiles Star is! What else do I know about the Tiamen and their wonderful history? I am the GM loredump.

Action: ask Cane:

"Why Exile Star is National Treasure?"

The Cane's hackles rise and his eyes narrow slightly at the question, but his tone remains measured. "You wouldn't be able to understand, outsider, and I don't have the time to try and explain it to you. The Star is the symbol of who we have chosen to become, and the falsehoods that we have cast off along the way."

Also action: check the flight computer. How far are we from AL-Loy space? Could we reach it by passing the Nakhos II system or the space station Deliria, for example? They're nearby-ish, right?

The trouble with Nakhos II is it's at the other end of AL-Loy space from the Flounder station. AL-Loy space, like many merchant empires, is grown along a gravitation spindle, a happenstance area of quantum fields that make bore travel calculations 'nice' between any two points of the spindle, but it does mean that their territory follows a stretched area instead of a globular one.

The station Deliria, however, is going to go within AL-Loy space in order to catch the premier broadcast of Goliath Falls at full resolution. Deliria will likely be packed and full of rabid fans, but she'll be there.
---

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 03:47:49 pm »

Sadish promptly gave everyone her full views on the subject. ((OOC: You can read my lore spoiler))

Strangely, she could sympathize with the Tiamen. Every treasure had a story, and what was the Exile's Star but a great piece of treasure with an amazing story attached to it? Not everything could be measured by the value of money.

"...It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? To the Tiamen, it's a priceless relic. To most people, it's merely a hunk of junk. To the rest of yo...er 'us', it resembles a good deal of currency to be exchanged for upon delivery.

Though that does pose the question, of why it was stolen in the first place. A monetary ransom, perhaps. It's not worth anything to anyone else...of course, there's a bit of politics behind everything. The loss of such a valuable holy relic will no doubt destabilize the current government...Theocratic Governments in particular are only as stable as the faith that their people have, that they are blessed by the Gods to rule over them. Perhaps Mr. Varkonius was hired by a 3rd party to create some instability."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:55:40 pm by Dwarmin »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 04:18:31 pm »

Scarlet lit a cigarette - with a lighter, thankfully, and not with one of the weapons on her wrist - and inhaled deeply of it before replying over the private channel. "So we're jumping into something that's not just a trap, potentially fighting apex tech, but also might be an effort to destabilize an empire? Great, I love acquiring new bodily orifices, it's my favorite pastime." She sighed, waiting for another inhalation of smoke to continue. "How much is this paying, again?"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:32:53 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 04:29:39 pm »

"It sounds very credible, Ms Sadish. Know anything about Tiamen politics?" Aubrey quickly corrects herself: "Current Tiamen politics? Factions? In any case, we could go discover the rumours on the way to the planet of the pretend deal, right? I know a great bar round that way..."

"Oh - and perhaps we could let someone else jump into said trap. Because on face value it does sound as bad as Scarlet suggests."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 04:48:33 pm »

The Rust King tapped a finger on his lips, thoughtful. 'Priceless' had a nice ring to it. Hopefully, it was the kind of priceless where the mark was happy to give every last penny they had for it, and not the kind of priceless where it only had emotional value and gratitude was the only reward they'd get.

'It's a shit job, you're not wrong, but we've got ourselves a most dire need for the reward. The reactor, she won't maintain itself, and while I won't mind a few rad showers, I don't think you all want to be around when the containment fails,' he spoke over the channel. 'But you might be onto something. We could let some other voidblind fool trigger whatever trap our mark has waiting, and swoop in after for our prize. There's plenty of those around.'
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:50:06 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 04:58:41 pm »

"Political science isn't my realm of expertise. From a historical perspective, however, I can tell you there is a possibility of subdued ethnic friction in the Tiamen republic between those who consider themselves 'true' Tiamen, and those they termed 'The Usurpers', a people whom they were once a client state of, and whom they eventually absorbed into their own civilization. In truth, there is likely little genetic or even cultural difference between the two peoples remaining by now, but any source of justification is useful if you are seeking power. If the potential offended party considers themselves true Tiamen or what was termed Usurpers, is completely irrelevant. Either side would wish the other one to be removed from power to benefit themselves. This is merely one possible explanation.

It could be also be rival state-an ally of the Al-lay trading group, hired to weaken the Tiamen Republic directly.

Or yet a fourth party, who hired the Al-Lay trading group, to hire Mr Varkonius, to implicate a rival 3rd party state in the theft-and, to eventually trigger a conflict between them and the Tiamen Republic, in the effort of weakening either or both of them.

Or the Al-Lay Trading group is working alone, hoping to profit from a future conflict they themselves began.

Or! Perhaps Mr. Varkonius merely thought he was stealing a priceless treasure...only to find a potent moral lesson in stealing what was to him, a valueless piece of scrap.

It is also entirely possible that we will never know, and indeed the truth may be beyond the scope of our mission.

Anyway, I leave the tactical decisions up to the rest of you."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:01:23 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27