Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: The Pillared Garden: A Miracle of Rare Device  (Read 25509 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: The Pillared Garden: The Search For Crafts That Time Forgot (0/5)
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 07:43:27 am »

I changed my sheet. Now with even more smoke grenades and free tools! Also less smart, but who needs brain power where we're going?

Oh no, I meant subtract 1 from all of your stats. They start at -1 rather than 0, so it comes out as you having spent 9 presently. So you could have Body 0, Finesse 1, Mind 0, Science 1 if you want, but that's about the limit.
Oh, my bad. I thought the -1 was the roll you got at 0 in a stat. Derp.

edit: changed it
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:47:18 am by Pancaek »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pillared Garden: The Search For Crafts That Time Forgot
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 09:02:37 am »

I'll jump on the waitlist. Probably.

Spoiler: Utargh (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Pillared Garden: The Search For Crafts That Time Forgot (0/5)
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2016, 11:27:49 am »

How are the results of rolls determined, by the way? Is there a difference between rolling a 9 or a 10? I'm thinking of shifting a point from Science to Mind since rolling at least a 5 on all Science rolls is a little bit overkill (always rolling at least a 4 will probably be fine for me).
*cough*
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Pillared Garden: Banjaxed On The Big Water
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 12:00:42 pm »

Well, anyway!

Spoiler: Snapper Johnson (click to show/hide)

Accepted, and 20p gets you the sage advice that Kwaremi fever, notorious killer of many intrepid explorers, will be a great friend of yours! Now for the turn.

Oh, my bad. I thought the -1 was the roll you got at 0 in a stat. Derp.

edit: changed it

Noted! $8.39 gets you a pat on the shoulder - keep an eye on the ground you're walking on. More important than you'd expect!

Spoiler: Utargh (click to show/hide)

We'll figure out your stuff when you're up, if you don't mind.

How are the results of rolls determined, by the way? Is there a difference between rolling a 9 or a 10? I'm thinking of shifting a point from Science to Mind since rolling at least a 5 on all Science rolls is a little bit overkill (always rolling at least a 4 will probably be fine for me).
*cough*

There is a difference, actually. A pretty important one, you could say.

Also damn, spider people are a real hit. People must love wall crawling.

But now WE BEGIN.

Fifteen days (you couldn't help but keep count) have passed as you float dead in the Big Water, and you've gotten to know four of your crewmates to a degree that you'll be able to hold over their heads for the rest of your more or less natural lives. All five or so projected days of said lives, anyway. At least the capsule hasn't sunk yet, even after that storm two days ago where you're pretty sure you tumbled nine times around on the waves, and your cargo compartment opened up and disgorged everything into your seating section. Ever since then it's been a bit of a mess.

He Who Sees Beyond, or Heehoo as you've started calling him when he's asleep, is sitting atop the hatch, staring in blank half-madness toward the horizon, cradling his generator in his hands as it whispers sweet nothings to him. It's another day of utter nothingness on the high seas, and the hours drag on forever as always as everything sways hypnotically.

As the others mill about below with uncharacteristic business, clambering over each other in an uncommon bustle, suddenly Heehoo begins to gag as he tries to yell after three whole days of complete silence, and fumbles as he nearly drops his generator. Eccentrica, nearest to the hatch, slinks out to see what's the ruckus, and nearly chokes themselves as well as they look to the horizon.

White sails rising lazily over the horizon, traveling at an angle several miles away, a ship with the look of a refitted junk, a design made local through constant replacement of its parts, shells and Kwarremi wood forming its hull, scrap added over structural weaknesses. A large steel cable drags it ahead, the ship tied to what looks a lot like a flowering whale doing its best to try and escape. The others crowd around the hatch as excitement spreads, nearly getting stuck and starting to rock the capsule as they push at each other.

The ship comes closer, two miles off at best. It's not coming for you, clearly, its frog crew setting off in long boats to harpoon the whale a few more times for good measure, a trail of purplish blood building up behind it. A couple of you retreat back into the capsule, and look at your sixth crewmember, his surprised expression at the plasma machete being shoved through his sternum now permanently frozen on his face, scorch marks on his torso marking a hasty intended partition. Shit. Now you feel kind of bad.

Everyone gained a Wound: Starvation

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:12:12 pm by Harry Baldman »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 12:18:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Retrieve my plasma machete from the corpse
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:25:32 pm by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 12:22:58 pm »

No longer any need to keep the prices next to the things you bought.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 03:28:33 pm »

Attempt to weave a fishing net out of silk. Hope that someone else manages to somehow get the ship's attention.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 06:19:47 pm »

((Yeah, it's fine. Now then. I'll be watching.))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 09:23:01 pm »

Use my instinctive flashing ability to get the attention of the boat.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:30:31 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 10:59:15 pm »

Eccentrica also uses her instinctive flashing ability to get the attention of the boat.

((For HB: If in primarily female company: it's 'he' and Gallumbits. Otherwise, Eccentrica and 'she'))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:23:09 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 11:46:56 pm »

@Daignean: Well played.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2016, 06:38:56 am »

Try to weave myself a nice coil of rope. Surely that will come in handy at some point.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2016, 11:13:05 am »

Retrieve my plasma machete from the corpse

[Finesse: 7 + 1]

The problem with stabbing it in there and twisting is that it can sometimes be hard to get out, especially with the limited leverage of the cramped capsule and whatever the hell was going on with this guy's internal anatomy - you've never really stabbed a guy like him before, so it's tough to know what to expect. So you just turn on the burn and saw your way out, leaving a sizeable blackened gash in the body as you drag it out delicately so as to not accidentally pierce the walls or floor. And you even leave most of him intact, or at least very lightly grilled in the process. You know, just in case your buddies don't manage to hail the ship.

Reclaimed Plasma Machete!

Attempt to weave a fishing net out of silk. Hope that someone else manages to somehow get the ship's attention.

[Mind: 5 + 1]

You've actually been working on one for some time. A girl's gotta do something in her spare time other than fantasize about injecting her venom into somebody's succulent flesh and reducing it to an edible slurry over a period of hours. Of course, the others certainly didn't appreciate you getting your webs all over their own corners of the capsule, so you mostly had to improvise with what little space you had, unused as you were to not having at least three attachment points for a proper net.

The end result, you guess as you twirl it between four feet, is perhaps less of a net and more of a coccoon. You guess you could make it into a butterfly net, certainly. Not so sure about fishing with it, though. At least you didn't overdo it like Waffels over there. Poor guy's clearly never tried to web while starved.

Gained Item: Small Silken Net

Use my instinctive flashing ability to get the attention of the boat.

[Finesse: 8 - 1]

They are a mile and a half away for sure, but as you play an invigorating, half-naked (between the two of you, that is) game of Twister with Eccentrica on top of the capsule you think you manage to get the eyes of a good few sailors! And Eccentrica, far away as she is, makes sure to get the rest as they start to go for their primitive looking glasses.

Gotta say, not what you expected to be doing today. But definitely preferable to a lot of the alternatives.

Eccentrica also uses her instinctive flashing ability to get the attention of the boat.

[Finesse: 3 + 4 + Outfit Use]

You're a bit too far away for effective titillation, so you decide to just pull off your tearaway outfit and use the spangles and your own undeniably expressive body motions (well, at least next to Heehoo's, anyway, who's being an uncharacteristically good sport about gyrating along with you) to make your very own interpretation of a semaphore communique, the sheen of mucus and accumulated filth from spending all this time at sea causing you to veritably gleam in the sunlight.

Needless to say, a boat is inbound shortly, half a dozen curious Frog People in mismatched clothing looking ahead as they row in your direction, occasionally looking back at the death throes of the floral whale far behind them.

Used Up For This Encounter: Incredibly Seductive Spangly Tearaway Outfit

Try to weave myself a nice coil of rope. Surely that will come in handy at some point.

[Mind: 2-1]

One of the greatest troubles with spinning webs is that it kind of depends on you having a good deal of nutrition to produce much in the way of usable material. So going for large volumes of the stuff is, as you find out in the voyage, rather inadvisable if you are at best on the verge of going mad from hunger and thirst.

It's a learning experience, you could say. Or it would be if you didn't feel like you were about to collapse on your own pile of disjointed sticky silk, each of your eight eyes starting to point in its own direction as your thoughts progressively lose coherence.

Wound Gained: Delirious

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 11:33:21 am »

Wait for the frogs to arrive. Are there any minerals that I can emphasize with on their ship?

What is my mineral empathy, exactly? Can I speak to minerals? Can I control them?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2016, 11:37:02 am »

What is my mineral empathy, exactly? Can I speak to minerals? Can I control them?

It's a bit complicated. Suffice it to say that they can tell you things.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12