Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: What's going on in the Philippines?  (Read 20374 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in the Philippines?
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2016, 04:00:57 pm »

From that standpoint, it's definetly understandable how Deuterte would want to decrease US involvement.

Almost like the Philippines is halfway between the quasi-colony that Peurto Rico is and a fully fledged nation with majority native owned companies. Though I don't know the current status of how much of the industries are dominated by American companies.
No put it shortly, none at all.  The Philippine Constitution has had provisions limiting foreign investment since 1987. They've been managing their own industry for well over thirty years now, so the responsibility for current state of their economy lies firmly in their own laps. The only place where they're really dependent on us is militarily, and that's mainly because we've given them a pretty big chunk of their current military equipment from our surplus, including most of their navy.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »

From that standpoint, it's definetly understandable how Deuterte would want to decrease US involvement.

Almost like the Philippines is halfway between the quasi-colony that Peurto Rico is and a fully fledged nation with majority native owned companies. Though I don't know the current status of how much of the industries are dominated by American companies.
No put it shortly, none at all.  The Philippine Constitution has had provisions limiting foreign investment since 1987. They've been managing their own industry for well over thirty years now, so the responsibility for current state of their economy lies firmly in their own laps. The only place where they're really dependent on us is militarily, and that's mainly because we've given them a pretty big chunk of their current military equipment from our surplus, including most of their navy.

I see, misunderstanding on my part then.

Not sure what the problem would be then, other than maybe chafing somewhat under US influence, dunno.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »

Three decades isn't really long enough to say that you are 100% responsible for the current state of your own economy. e.g. are current US politicians 100% responsible for America being a rich nation? Clearly no way that's true. It's built on centuries of development.

Basically they were under US economic dominance for almost all of the 20th century. To say that they passed a law limiting foreign investment in 1987, therefore current Philippine politicians are 100% responsible for the overall state of the Philippines economy is kinda ... bullshit, which ignores the importance of history in how things are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_investment_climate

Foreign Investments Act (FIA) of 1991 stipulates that foreign ownership in industries can go up to 100%, except those specified in the Foreign Investment Negative List. Industries in the FINL require at least 60% of Filipino ownership, which means that 60% of capital stock outstanding and entitled votes is owned and held by citizens of the Philippines.

These limits are basically requiring that overall ownership of sensitive industries needs to be local, but still allow that anything not on "the list" can be completely foreign owned, and anything on "the list" can be up to 40% foreign owned. Someone in a rich country like USA just doesn't know what it's like to have ALL your stuff foreigned owned, which is the reason they made a law like this.

From sources, I read that during the American dominated era, they were growing slower than nearby nations. But the recent data is that they are growing faster than those same neighbors. So they're actually doing more ok after limiting foreign control than before. Which kinda makes the point.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:58:12 pm by Reelya »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2016, 08:27:47 pm »

It's almost like monopolies by foreign TNCs is bad for a country's development and economy.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:28 am »

America is getting kicked out.
"We are not a doormat"
I kinda like him.
Hes got balls.
First you get the money, then you get the power. Then.. then you *grumbles*
Hes a true cockroach.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2016, 06:50:01 am »

America is getting kicked out.
"We are not a doormat"
I kinda like him.
Hes got balls.
First you get the money, then you get the power. Then.. then you *grumbles*
Hes a true cockroach.
"Heroes never die." I have seen many heroes, all are dead or will die. Cockroaches never die, thus in logical truth, they are our heroes

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2016, 11:21:01 am »

Politics crossover time!

Duterte claims that Trump said that he is doing the War on Drugs the right way. Those are Duterte's words though, not Trumps, so, without a transcript of what Trump said, we don't know if that's what he actually said or if Duterte is just embellishing. Sounds like the two are getting along pretty well though.

Also, the Trump team needs to quit letting other countries take the narrative on the conversation.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:23:42 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2016, 11:47:32 am »

Trump's problem is that when fascists and Neo-Nazis can claim to endorse you or that you endorse their opinion, and it's plausible, then you have a fundamental problem with your platform. Trump's team can "control the conversation" to distance themselves from all those people who basically say the same sorts of things Trump said during the election, but that's too little too late:

"When I said 'gas the Jews', clearly I was speaking metaphorically, and this endorsement from the American Nazi Party has me flabbergasted. it's completely come out of left field". Obviously I was exaggerating Trump's views there, but the part about actual NAZIs coming out of the woodwork claiming that Trump is their man is completely true.
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/8/13565566/neo-nazis-explain-support-donald-trump
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:57:10 am by Reelya »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »

This...seems a lot more like 'what's going on in relation to the US' now to prod the cover title and first post, because I wanted to mention a LOT OF THINGS that had just happened and are happening...but moreso because I was busy. Still, there's a lot unmentioned that's more mentioned in local news. >_< (With my horrible wording aside, it's more to the people--a lot less people from here on B12, and a lot more from the US or western countries.)
Seriously wish there's a lot more depth to the media.

-snip-
It's working with the idea of success = the right way :P
...When we all know it's not the right or rather efficient way. >_<

Also...how are Neo-nazis or fascists even related to our country there? .-.;

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »

I meant letting the other side say what happened in the conversation between the leader of the other country and Trump without releasing what Trump said in the conversation.

It may just be the whole transition situation with not being in contact with the state department and confusion on the part of other countries because of Trump breaking diplomatic norms.

Also...how are Neo-nazis or fascists even related to our country there? .-.;

I think that was a misunderstanding on Reelyas part on what I meant by control the conversation.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:32:24 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2016, 08:23:30 am »

Duterte confessed in a speech to businessmen visiting his palace that, back when he was still mayor of Davoa, he drove around the city on a motorcycle killing drug dealers wit a machinegun, 'to show the police how to deal with those in a fast and efficient way'.

Furthermore, he said that he doesn't expect to complete his full term as president, as he is getting old. He says he would appreciate being impeached, or even better, assasinated, because he has migraine every day, and his back causes him much suffering.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2016, 08:40:35 am »

Fun with culture and words x_x His tongue is going to get a lot of mixing up attention.

Although I've no idea about the last paragraph, what I recall about the first was actually him going around on a motorcycle with a handgun (not a machinegun) and not actually killing people :P

...Because yeah, if that machinegun-toting mayor was ever present, (like, a long time before now) we'd hear about it. o_O Sounds like exaggeration though because you can't carry an automatic weapon even if you're a city official...which would be weird if they could.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2016, 08:44:53 am »

The most logical explanation I can think of is that he got pretty drunk at his private party with entrepeneurs, and bragged in an exagerated way. Our media probably got the raw footage, your own media was probably asked to make the story sound less like drunk talk to not embarrass Duterte.

EDIT: just came across this NYT photo reportage about the drug killings that have been ongoing since Duterte became president.
warning, graphic.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/07/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html?_r=1
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:52:06 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2016, 08:54:05 am »

The most logical explanation I can think of is that he got pretty drunk at his private party with entrepeneurs, and bragged in an exagerated way. Our media probably got the raw footage, your own media was probably asked to make the story sound less like drunk talk to not embarrass Duterte.
Um o-o our media is pretty much open like 'other media' out there. While there is the common bias within media, there's less of hush-hush going on. :P Although my note back there was more from memory since I haven't been updated with our news lately, with memory going back to June.

...And it's pretty much less 'drunk talk' given that we've pretty much known Duterte to say...things for quite some time.
These however are new news to me. o_O

...Also could you make a new thread with a better OP about this, or for a general SEA politics thread? I remember RedKing making one but it seems to not be active.

EDIT: just came across this NYT photo reportage about the drug killings that have been ongoing since Duterte became president.
warning, graphic.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/07/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html?_r=1
There's also more to it that a dedicated thread to countries in this part of the world-thread would help :P
When 'more to it' includes ideas like [death penalty; senate checks on witnesses of 'death squads' or if it's true or not; stuff surrounding De Lima that I lack the time to type, etc], and that's only a tiny bit of what I wanted to post about but couldn't as mentioned above.

Oh, also the Marcos burial. That too. [An actual better discussion than Duterte given the context here :V] But everyone's seemingly(?) posting only about Duterte and him saying dum things. x___x Also our VP resigning from the presidential cabinet. Also-...we need a better thread :-[
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:04:03 am by Tiruin »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2016, 09:07:46 am »

I'm not stopping you from posting backstories, viewpoints, and other news from the area. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people, including me would find it interesting to read about. I'm not sure why changing the OP would be required. I already changed the topic title to be neutral. The OP is just what was in the news at that time.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11