Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: strange, sudden and violent mass animal die-off, cause unknown  (Read 1335 times)

pognivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
strange, sudden and violent mass animal die-off, cause unknown
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:28:11 pm »

i have a fortress that ive been playing on for a long time. i lost track of how many in-game years have passed, its well over fifty though. about one real life year has passed since i started this fortress.

while i was playing today a bunch of animals started exploding or something. there's no combat log messages at all. animals will just be walking along inside the fortress and then theyll be dead with their blood sprayed all over a large area. this happened to about one hundred animals in the span of about ten seconds. i have no idea what is going on.

i thought maybe they were dying of old age (doesnt explain the blood explosion though) but that is not likely since a lot of them are puppies or youth animals.

earlier today i opened up a sewer/drainage pipe so workers could go down to work on this shaft i was digging and save some guy who fell. while they were doing that a forgotten beast came up into the sewer. it was a chert humanoid that sprayed dust or gas or something. a few people got dusted (or gassed) and there were no immediate effects. after about ten or twenty seconds they would die and their blood would spray everywhere as if they exploded. i wonder if somehow these animals have succumbed to the same dust or gas. the only thing is i dont know how they could have been exposed to the gas since the forgotten beast was killed a long time ago deep down in the earth and these animals are exploding just a few levels below the surface.

has anyone ever seen effects like this before? has anyone heard of a spreading contagious disease that makes people and animals explode? maybe there's something here i'm just not seeing. maybe it's a really thirsty vampire. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

i dont care if they explode because i was trying to kill them off anyway (i have over 500 animals) but i really have to know why they are dying like this.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: strange, sudden and violent mass animal die-off, cause unknown
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 05:43:06 pm »

Sometimes, blood/dust/other shit on bare feet causes this, I guess since animals don't wear shoes so that's why they began to die.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 06:05:22 pm »

Yeah, same here, sounds like syndrome from the FB. Syndromes are random, and some can be very nasty (like hemorrhage out of every surface as all your skin slides off nasty.) Contaminants will linger pretty much forever, but as Libash mentioned, shoes will generally keep the stuff off your dwarves. What might have happened is the stuff got on a dwarf's shoes, the dwarf then walked in some water, or got rained on, the stuff got washed off, and the animals stepped in it. Boom! Exploding animal.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »

I recall I had some human mercenaries who died from bleeding, who lived on the top most part of my fort. Then I noticed that was because they did not have boots before I made some large version for them. They went down to the stockpile to get their boots and stepped on some demon blood.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:25:35 pm »

I recall I had some human mercenaries who died from bleeding, who lived on the top most part of my fort. Then I noticed that was because they did not have boots before I made some large version for them. They went down to the stockpile to get their boots and stepped on some demon blood.

What other game could possibly list "stepped in demon blood while searching for the right size shoes" as a possible cause of death?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:28:20 pm »

But the original folks did not have the delay. The effect is initially random, but you will always get the same effect after it gets generated.

Sounds like you have a pile of dust somewhere that these animals are walking through. The danger is that your dwarves might walk through it as well. They might have ALREADY walked through it and are protected by shoes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pognivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 12:38:35 pm »

Yeah, same here, sounds like syndrome from the FB. Syndromes are random, and some can be very nasty (like hemorrhage out of every surface as all your skin slides off nasty.) Contaminants will linger pretty much forever, but as Libash mentioned, shoes will generally keep the stuff off your dwarves. What might have happened is the stuff got on a dwarf's shoes, the dwarf then walked in some water, or got rained on, the stuff got washed off, and the animals stepped in it. Boom! Exploding animal.
You're right. I found out what it was.

The forgotten beast came up the sewer pipe, my elite commandos fought it and got dusted. Two of them died, the rest went and either washed off or walked through a 3/7 underground river I made (like the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas) in a central plaza area. A ton of the forgotten beast extract got into the water supply. I mean it's like coating all of the walls of this little river thing. The animals would go and walk through the same underground river or they'd drink from it and they would then explode and shoot blood all over.

I drained the entire river and filled it back up again but the extract is still stuck to the walls.

The craziest thing is that I have a glitch in my fortress where if I fill up this underground river more than 3/7 all of my bards and dancers and poets will leave all the taverns and go jump in the river and just sit in it for years. I think they might all be contaminated now, but I haven't seen any dwarf die from it yet except the original two. However, every animal that goes near it dies within seconds in the most horrifying way.

I wish I could harness the power of this vile extract because it's like something out of Scanners. I just hope that I don't have a vital shoe shortage in the near future.

For a few days this really was a big mystery to me though. My first hypothesis was that some invisible race of demons had come from another dimension and were like doing some Exorcist shit in my fort. Blood coats everything now.

What other game could possibly list "stepped in demon blood while searching for the right size shoes" as a possible cause of death?
lmfao
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:44:39 pm by pognivet »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 02:43:18 pm »

Given enough idle dwarves with the "clean" labor enabled and access to the tiles in question, they should get cleaned eventually, which I believe is actually safe to do. If you have dfhack, you can always do it the cheesy way and just "clean all" which gets rid of contaminants instantly.

Otherwise, you can wall off the contaminated area. Many famous fortresses have had 9 out of every 10 tiles contaminated by some sort of vile stuff. You could also leave a path into your fortress, blocked most of the time with a raising bridge, and try to get invaders to path through the stuff. Might be a bit tricky.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:25:54 pm »

By the way, Dorfs only clean underground tiles. I had a tavern above ground level with a roof, I retired the tavern and built a temple in its place, but they ignored all the vomits and other kinds of shit on the ground for years.

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 06:27:30 am »

Mist cleans tiles. I use a 4x4 pool filled 3/7 with a mist generator above it(with masterwork statues under the screw pump intakes). The whole thing is powered by a water reactor and requires zero maintenance once all the water is added.