Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36782 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »

((Don't worry chief, I think I cracked your code))
((I don't know, it could be subtle hints, or maybe it is just random static...))
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2016, 04:24:21 pm »

Time for some real science! A hydrogen fuel cell would be a great option to power your creations,, so time to get started on that! You spend $250 on various supplies and get to work. Later in the afternoon, you put down your tools, and sit back.
The Hydrogen Fuel Cell MK1 (you need to come up with better names) is a gigantic monstrosity. And by "gigantic" you mean "it can only really fit in your garage while still taking up very large amounts of space". You're proud of its efficiency - once fueled, it can essentially run forever. At least for multiple years. But power-wise, it's not so great. For whatever reason, the electrolysis process isn't running at anywhere near optimum levels. It could maybe power some lights or a computer, but nothing serious at all.

Its main advantage over a battery is that it's not restricted to an electricity outlet. You can put this thing (assuming you can figure out how to transport it, or if you'd just build a new one) anywhere you want and it'd continue providing power. No need to bother with plugging it in. So the result really isn't what you were expecting, but it has its uses. And potential.
Creating a new one would probably cost $150.

You have two things left on your mental list of things to do for the day. Thing number one is to find out who exactly is buying your venom, so you decide to get that out of the way at first. You head to the library to do some research. You actually have a variety of buyers, considering this is just a public listing. And unfortunately there's no one account buying most of it. The accounts that you do look into all seem to either have no references online, or point towards various hobbyists.

With a decent amount of time left in the day, you look for some abandoned buildings. There are a lot of them. After looking for a building with intact electrical and plumbing, you think you found one. It's one story and small, but definitely abandoned and full of things to take. You ensure everything isn't receiving power then go to town on it.
By the end of the day, you count 6x Electronics and 1x Plumbing Part. These electronics do seem to be better than their scrap counterparts, too.

You harvested 2 ml and sold 1 ml of venom today for $20. You turn the last milliliter to its powdered form.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:22:32 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »

((Damn, I thought I was onto sonething))

Try combining the DNA of scorpions and roaches. Make some kind of genetic abomination like the mad scientist we are.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »

Can we do multiple actions?
Begin downsizing the cell, in general volume and mass.
Develop an aerosol injector system that can hold vials of various chemicals. In addition, you've come up with the snappy name of 'BioStim Gamma'.
Name the monstrosity of a fuel cell (This specific big model, not the series) 'The Long Count'.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:53:40 pm by KiwiOui »
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2016, 09:35:56 pm »

And I was going to name it "Partial-water energy-storage tool version one"... Pwestvo just has such a nice ring to it...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2016, 09:51:41 pm »

Name the monstrosity of a fuel cell (This specific big model, not the series) 'The Long Count'.

+1. Let's also use our access to the university labs to try to develop a (better?) catalyst for the water electrolysis step.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2016, 10:38:17 pm »

+1. Let's also use our access to the university labs to try to develop a (better?) catalyst for the water electrolysis step.
+1
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 10:54:49 am »

+1
+1

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2016, 01:09:31 pm »

+1
+1
+1
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:57 pm »

You stare at the monstrosity that is the Hydrogen Fuel Cell MK1 Long Count. Time to make it something worth using.

This involves heading over to the university with some completely non-suspicious electrolysis equipment taken from the Long Count. After tedious work involving the testing of countless different solutions and compounds, you think you've finally found something. In its simplest terms, it's a catalyst. But when applied correctly, it should be able to greatly increase power generation at the cost of longevity. It'd cost about $20 to make enough off for use in a fuel cell.
But essentially, if you design a new fuel cell with this incorporated, you should be able to increase power generation at the cost of fuel usage.

Now to see about reducing the size of the existing fuel cell. After $40 of materials, you start your work.
The problem with the Long Count is the way you designed its electrolysis process. You end up fixing this problem by completely redoing your method. The new Electrolysis "Chamber" as you call it is a fairly interesting design, but it gets the job done. The result is the Hydrogen Fuel Cell MK2 - a device very roughly around half a meter in size. It provides the same amount of power as the Long Count, but you had to sacrifice fuel storage. It can run about a month once filled up.

You would spend the rest of the day developing an aerosol injector system, but you don't have any fitting materials on hand and don't have enough money to purchase the needed materials. Another day, then. You spend the time that would have been spent doing that sleeping instead.

You harvested 2 ml and sold 2 ml of venom today for $40. Unfortunately, all of the earned money was spent today.

Makeshift Data Terminal
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:22 pm »

Convert the fuel cell to incorporate small amounts of atmospheric oxygen and use that to bleed off some of the oxygen without causing a hydrogen excess. Then hook the oxygen up to a tank and purchase a shiny new bean-bag. combine the beanbag and the oxygen tank into a "thought corner" where you relax and contemplate SCIENCE!!s limitless potential.
Read the First Post!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2016, 03:23:59 pm »

Go scavenging! Loot some empty buildings, and keep the cool stuff. The rest of the items with be sent to one of those places that buy or recycle scrap.
Secondarily, build a 'Shock-Baton'. Essentially being a police baton that has TASER prongs on four sides of the end, and a battery in the handle that delivers a non-lethal electric pulse.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2016, 04:41:26 pm »

... That... is just a long taser that you can hit people with the blunt side of... We can do better...

Well, it needs settings for a start. Have stun settings in kilograms from budgie to elephant...
Also useful stuff like starting a car engine or softening a padlock/chain.
And give it a sustained mode with attachments, so that you can use it as a lamp or timepiece...
And throw on some blue racing-stripes...
Read the First Post!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »

Let's also be sure to incorporate our new catalyst into the next-generation fuel cells.

Now the only problem to solve is the question of what to do with the things. We could probably sell them for a fair bit of cash at the very least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2016, 06:21:55 pm »

Not much was done today. You were originally planning on going scavenging, but after an hour you gave up. It's hard to scavenge without anything in mind, but at least you got 2 scrap metal and 1 scrap electronic. You also luckily find a police baton to use later in the day.

You're fairly strapped for money and materials, as well. You decide to go through the things you were originally planning on accomplishing today. The breather Fuel Cell actually isn't really possible, sadly. That's the reason fuel cells are called fuel cells - making a self-sustaining one simply breaks the laws of thermodynamics.
Well, with some work and more money than you have right now, you could probably make a go at it. It would involve some sort of passive oxygen harvesting allowing it to not expend notable amounts of energy on it. But with that being said, you have to once again remind yourself that you don't have the money for something like this. Purchasing enough materials to figure out the oxygen collection alone would be $100, and that's not including the cost of the rest of the fuel cell.

So what about the baton?
Now that's possible. The wiring and battery cost $40, and you use 1 scrap electronic as well as 1 scrap metal for the miscellaneous things. Like the prongs.

But the result is very unfortunately not great. Your shiny new Shock Baton holds approximately 10 charges, and boy are those charges absolutely useless. They just deliver a mild tingling sensation. Maybe if you wanted to torture someone via essentially tickling them, it could work, but otherwise, nope. And your attempts on adding extra functions to it failed miserably as well. Today is just not your day.

You thought about incorporating the new catalyst, but you were unsure on whether to add it to only new cells being developed, or to the existing MK2.

You harvested 2 ml and sold 2 ml of venom today for $40.

Makeshift Data Terminal
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30