Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36721 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2016, 06:14:23 pm »

Consider building a flamethrower. Point out how legal they are. (No, I don't know who we're pointing this out to.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2016, 07:50:44 pm »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2016, 08:11:04 pm »

Buy a roach motel and tweezers to gather pray for the scorpions - it'll avoid having to buy food for them for quite a while.

As for something more discrete or intimidating than poison bullets, please vote on a project: we can make them a poison dart launcher in an umbrella or equipped on a RC vehicle. On the intimidating side, how about a butane grenade launcher? They could use real grenades, ammonia bombs that'd prevent everyone in the area from doing anything but run away with their eyes closed as fast as they can, or even throw incendiaries like napalm.

Honestly lets not get too hasty!
If the police link us to this gang we may be put into a compromising position. Jailed or Killed for being a snitch.
If we want to remake science in our image we need to start low key. I've devised a full proof plan.
Lets nurture this gang we've allied ourselves with and begin teaching their youngsters the scientific method and how to use it to harm enemy gangs! their grades will go up and then we can hire them as henchmen and offload brain work on them in the future!
"And what will we say to most of the gang that don't want their children 'bad'?" well we don't tell them that! We just say we are tutoring them to get them out of gang life. Which we are. All the younger children will just remember having a goofy tutor and think nothing of it later in life. Plus free labor to search for that microwave!
Go to dump to try find microwave
+1
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:18:47 pm by mocman »
Have a wonderful day

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2016, 10:13:32 pm »

Production of antivenom requires an animal - to inject diluted venom into in order to invoke an immune response. But screw that, you're going to invent a new way. After a fair bit of research and theorizing, you conclude that using a heat source, some relatively cheap laboratory equipment, and a sample of blood from a human or animal, you could artificially create antivenom with venom from your scorpions.
The laboratory equipment required costs $70, but you don't purchase it today. A heat source would also be required, as previously concluded, but you could probably buy a bunsen burner (which would need fuel) for $20, an electric heat source for $60, or you could always just make your own.

You head out to some commercial areas of the city and buy a roach trap as well as some tweezers for a combined total of $10. You set it up in the garage and already get a decent amount of roaches within the following hour. You make sure to routinely feed the scorpions, ensuring that they're fed as long as all the roaches don't mysteriously disappear. You also considered making your own moth trap, but in the end you concluded that this was probably a better idea.
But the biggest priority today is finding a microwave. For some reason. You head to the dump and rather easily find a microwave within a fair bit of time. It's pretty old and dirty, but it works. You have great plans for this microwave?

On the way to the dump, you also took a bit of time to look for any notable flora. You didn't find anything - it turns out that the cracks between pavement are not a great place for valuable and useful plant life to grow in. Oh well.

You also spend some of the day experimenting with a grenade launcher. For someone of your amazing intellect, it's actually not that difficult to pull off. Some tubing of a sturdy enough material, a basic trigger mechanism, some adjustments to the barrel, and a firing mechanism. You spend $10 on enough small components and $6 on some sturdy piping to use as the barrel. You also spend $10 on a very small amount of butane for fuel.
After a while of experimentation, you haven't had much luck with it. The contraption just isn't sturdy enough to survive long enough to even fire one shot. Any projectile loaded just gets dropped at the end of the tubing while the rest of the pressure bursts out the back. At least you still have a small amount of leftover butane.
Weapon created: Broken Makeshift Gas-Powered Projectile Launcher
Item bought: 400 ml Butane Gas
You think about building a flamethrower with the remaining gas, if that's even a possible thing. It's legal, afterall--
Wait, it's not? Local laws?
Damn.

You would also try experimenting with venom darts, but you're not comfortable with spending any more money. Other than on a $10 shovel, that is. But the basement digging will have to wait, since it turns out that buildings have foundations, and foundations are hard to dig through. If you want an underground storage room, you're going to need to find somewhere else to dig it, or find a way to create it under the garage while keeping it structurally sound.

You spend the afternoon investigating methods of keeping venom "fresh". Really, you can't do much right now to experiment. If you had an array of chemicals to actually be able to use, you could get a lot more progress in this front, but alas, you are in fact living in a trashy garage. You think that either refrigeration or (maybe) vacuum sealing could work as preservation techniques, but without money or supplies you can't test out anything.

Finally, in the evening, you organize another meeting with your contact. You ask about the kids of those in the gang, and if you could teach them anything. You consider the possibility of mentioning the ability to teach kids "out" of the gang, but the second-in-command obviously doesn't want that. He tells you that there are four children around the age of 10 that he thinks have something to gain from your tutoring. He gives you the information to contact their parent gang members and tells you that he'll let them know as well.

You extracted 1 ml of venom today, and sold it for $20.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:15:24 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2016, 02:13:39 am »

to explain my earlier stattement: Toilet cleaner contains hydrochloric acid (HCl). HCl + Aluminum=Hydrogen + Oxygen + Aluminium-Chloride?

The H and O is released in perfect explosive ratio.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2016, 02:23:47 am »

Build a maze from cardboard scavenged from our various purchases and held together with alternating flaps and upright with right-angles. Train scorpions to do mazes. Add a mirror on the roof to train them to look up...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2016, 08:49:53 am »

Right ho. Let's teach those younglings the gang guy mentioned the ways of Mad Science!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:33 am »

Right ho. Let's teach those younglings the gang guy mentioned the ways of Mad Science!
+1
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2016, 09:30:21 am »

+1

+1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2016, 10:52:09 am »

+1

+1
Go down the local hardware store and buy some chemicals, you can't have proper science with our a few bubbling test tubes.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2016, 11:04:40 am »

Go down the local hardware store and buy some chemicals, you can't have proper science with our a few bubbling test tubes.
-1, there's no point in spending money unnecessarily when we should have enough electronics to assemble a Tesla coil.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2016, 03:48:24 pm »

Look for how much money it would take to buy a small house in the country.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2016, 05:53:44 pm »

What's better than having a small army of scorpions? A trained army of scorpions. A hyperintelligent army would be pretty cool too, but baby steps. You start tearing off the cardboard from the empty boxes in the garage and assembling the material into a maze. You spend $15 on a large-enough mirror to mount on the ceiling, and carefully start the training.
Amazingly, the training goes extremely well. Within hours you have the scorpions easily finding their way out of multiple maze configurations. You chalk it up as a success and put the scorpions away to get to work on other things.
Nineteen and Eighty-four gain trait: Maze navigation

You contact the various parents that you were told about by the gang second-in-command. They all agree, having been informed beforehand, and you set up a time at the garage. While waiting for them to arrive, you take a quick trip to the library and research housing costs. The area you're currently in is more of a dense town, and you could buy a very small housing unit with a garage for $30,000. The unit's actually pretty close by and is in a similar (but a bit better) environment as the garage. A tiny house in the outskirts of the town would cost $40,000, and a similar one within driving distance of the town for $40,000 as well. While the prices say otherwise, these all seem to have their advantages in terms of location. But their space and amenities are pretty similar.

You arrive at the garage just before the children start arriving. You greet each one of them and give them all a tour of your "lab". Given that they're fairly poor children, they're still impressed to a degree. You start teaching them about the wonders of science, the scientific method, and more. They all go to school, and you even help all six children with some questions from school.
By the end of the day, you think you've "reached" two children in particular - Jaden and Sarah. Jaden's 12 - the oldest kid in the group, and Sarah's 11. They both were very inquisitive near the end of the session and even wanted to stay for a bit asking more questions.

You extracted 2 ml of Scorpion Venom today and it was sold for $40.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2016, 06:14:36 pm »

Produce a chemical that stimulates blood clotting, and has antibacterial properties.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2016, 06:23:10 pm »

Actually, let's get some acceptable chemical-making lab equipment first. Might even help us get our scorpion venom to a higher quality.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30