Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 201

Author Topic: Castle: New squad and the never ending wait for the next GM post.  (Read 160423 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: New squad recruiting!
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2016, 09:20:59 am »

How much would one of these cost in the game? (On the link it's marked at USD $700-$1500)

I was thinking of one with a bit more power, off-road wheels large enough (and with clearance) to tackle stairways and rough ground, a hardpoint at the bed's front panel and a collapsible tripod at the rear, a ramp and a winch or a small loading crane.
It'd be light enough to airlift and cheap enough to be considered for purchase by squads: it could be used as a technical or an ambulance, or to carry personnel, heavy weapons, extra ammo and odd equipment, and to ferry "complete samples" to the evac vehicle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-3000LBS-12V-Electric-Recovery-Winch-Kit-Truck-Trailer-Wireless-Remote-/322173451167
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-Static-Mounted-Swivel-Base-Steel-Lifting-Hoist-Crane-900kg-SSC900-/311300772023?hash=item487af8d0b7:g:LbYAAOSwBLlU6kIq
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Motorcycle-Off-Road-Xr70r-Front-Wheel-1997-1998-1999-2000-44650-GCF-670-/222216473986?hash=item33bd224d82:g:QlUAAOSwdzVXrLjm&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-20x10-00-8-Turf-Tires-Wheels-Rims-Off-Road-Go-Kart-Fun-Cart-Dune-Buggy-4-Hole-/350577745852?hash=item51a00fdfbc:g:qsoAAOxyhXRTNW3I&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:35:54 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2016, 10:47:49 am »

It depends on if you're going for modern armoring/gear or ancient surplus. However Akras does normally loan a transport of some kind to Gate Teams.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2016, 11:07:24 am »

No armour, just a civilian flatbed trike with some structural reinforcements for the hardpoints, all the rest can be bought off the shelf - if you want I can take a look for them on shopping sites and post links.

Edit: posted ebay links above, didn't much bother with looking for the best prices.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:35:43 pm by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2016, 11:15:46 am »

No armour, just a civilian flatbed trike with some structural reinforcements for the hardpoints, all the rest can be bought off the shelf - if you want I can take a look for them on shopping sites and post links.

I'd go with 3 to 5* depending on manufacturers. likely 3* For an Akras-made Flatbed trike with no armor but with built-in hardpoints for adaptive mounting.

After all, a military-grade threaded combat drone is like, only 10* after all. A Trike, even armored and enchanted for a literal expedition to hell and back would be pocket change to a good Gate team.

Plus Akras occasionally loan an actual mil-grade IFVs to gate teams if they think it'll be profitable. I mean, right now Foxhound was loaned an actual land-cruising mobile base that can fit all of the Foxhound core people and it's attached fireteams, for free!

But then again, Foxhound is the company's most profitable squad, so a lot of stuff gets thrown their way for free. Good stuff, production laser rifles stuff.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2016, 11:17:58 am »

I really do need to get a revised catalog written up. We've had so many random things invented by this point.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2016, 12:42:07 pm »

3*? I'll personally take one, then. Thanks!

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2016, 12:44:33 pm »

Sure, knock yourself out. Just don't complain too much when you get it stuck in the mud or had the wheels bust from going over one too many spikey vines. :P

Or ate by sandworms,

Or fell off a cliff,

or punted a klick away by a dragon..

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2016, 01:28:43 pm »

Well, some of those might be a problem, but certainly not sand or mud, it has oversized off-road tires. BTW, didn't you know that trikes can outrun sand worms?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »

I'm about caught up on the reading. I'm conflicted, primarily because the organization set up here is (eventually) about as efficient and as containing of redundancies as I'd want if I was involved in such an organization in any capacity. The conflict comes in that the character concept I had originally as well as the revised concept, to account for lack of skill points, wouldn't actually be of much use in Castle raiding. A stealthy scout goblin doesn't really work when you have drones, scanners, and possibly magic to fill that role. I have several ideas though and will actually make a sheet soon.

Checking through the linked text, I can't actually find first contact with the goblin species. Is more information able to be provided about them?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2016, 10:05:10 pm »

Goblins, orcs, and dwarves have not been contacted onscreen. However seeing as how Akras is a large corporation with multiple groups of scouts, squads, and so on. It's reasonable to assume that another group encountered a roving Goblin/Orc warband. You can find some more data in the Castle Magi doc if you do a bit of searching.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2016, 11:51:07 pm »

I'd avoided that due to the plethora of spoiler warnings, but knowledge comes at a cost so here we are.

Have you figured out how new types of goblin clans are formed if such a thing is possible? I'd imagine that Akras would be interested in sponsoring specific goblin clans or developments of such, at the very least for potential scientific interests. The dreams of madness might be the work of an Entity with whom Akras might want to have dealings with at minimum.

Assuming that Akras is interested/has achieved in having at least one personally guided goblin clan under their thumb, I've got about half a backstory hammered out. I'll make an actual character sheet post after I sleep.

At the moment my biggest decision is figuring out if a goblin rifleman, goblin stealth scout, goblin mechanist, or a goblin magi would be most useful party wise. For some reason I'm quite hung up on the idea of a goblin character.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 12:00:52 am »

There are no 'new' clans. They might fade from prominence for a few centuries only to crop up enmasse later on. The 'lesser' clans will eventually become the more common clans and vice versa.

Akras likely does not know the details of the Dreams at the current time. It hasn't really been long enough for a proper interrogation to occur. (At best 2 or 3 weeks since the discovery of Gaia.) If they did encounter a gobbo warband though, they prolly have at least one under their thumb.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 07:22:47 pm »

Alright, so let's see.. we have.. what, 4 people already?

That'd be enough for a Gate Fireteam.

And there's quite a few things to do around Gaia that's simply too mundane for Foxhound, and at the very least we can start team-building, getting to know each others and letting you have a feel of your character as they get stationed Gaia-side or coming to see Terra-side Akras for the first time.

Lots of things to explore and get into trouble with!

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:08 pm »

Have you figured out how new types of goblin clans are formed if such a thing is possible? I'd imagine that Akras would be interested in sponsoring specific goblin clans or developments of such, at the very least for potential scientific interests. The dreams of madness might be the work of an Entity with whom Akras might want to have dealings with at minimum.

(In character)

"I'd just pit the clans against each other and then hire the strongest who came out on top. It's faster than having to sort through them, and you could sell the video recordings as entertainment. Not to mention harvesting the souls of the fallen and getting the population down to a more manageable level.

And supplying them with weapons for that struggle would accustom them to using the advanced tech we have and show which goblins have the most aptitude for using it. Survival of the strongest AND those most able to adapt. Intelligence is important after all. Nothing above guns, and there would be multiple kill-switches and fail-safes in them to ensure they could never be used against us of course.

If someone can spot a flaw in my idea, I will adjust or withdraw it accordingly. Any suggestions are welcome."

(Out of character) Khaiden has the basics of Akras technology (he adapts quickly), so that's how he knows the basics of how video recording works.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:13:22 pm by KaineFisher »
Power is how much control you have over your current situation.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »

Muskets exists for human and dwarves in Gaia.

Also, sure. American based company arming local warlord with semi-modern weaponry in hope to let them kill each others. That never went terribly wrong have it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 201