Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: Gridland Survival! A game about learning lessons the hard way.  (Read 34517 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival! Game Start
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2016, 04:36:04 pm »

Move to the Yggdrasil in F6, forage for a mushroom and collect two branches. Make a hoe. Move to F7, put the two required labours to make it a (+) paddy. Use the remaining action to forage, ignoring rationing if what he finds is a berry. Keep researching the carpentry tool.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:01:00 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2016, 04:47:30 pm »

Easter Sunday continues work on the pit trap, eating one of the rationed loveberries. He continues researching shovel.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2016, 04:50:11 pm »

If Finsternis's berry gathering tool is up for grabs, use it to harvest the farm. If it is unavailable to me, harvest normally.Harvest the farm. The bugs are a concern for another turn. Continue research on the shield. 

((decided against the tool due to lack of branches))
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:43:52 pm by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »

Move to the Yggdrasil in F6, forage for a mushroom and collect two branches. Make a hoe. Move to F7, put the two required labours to make it a (+) paddy. Use the remaining action to forage, ignoring rationing if what he finds is a berry. Keep researching the carpentry tool.

This is one of the best actions I ever saw you guys make. You clarified the tile you want to work on, factored in your unique character skills, allocated all 3 labor and used a conditional statement to determine if you need to eat this turn, or save the food for farming purposes.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2016, 01:52:25 am »

This post no longer exists.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:55:27 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2016, 09:01:46 am »

the berry gathering tool is specifically for foraging, youve gotta make a farming tool for the farm.

"Farming: A "Farming tool" may be created at the cost of 2 labor and 2 building materials. Farming tools increase labor when performing a farming action by 2. Does not stack with most other tools."

or at least i believe thats how it works

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2016, 09:02:36 am »

This is one of the best actions I ever saw you guys make. You clarified the tile you want to work on, factored in your unique character skills, allocated all 3 labor and used a conditional statement to determine if you need to eat this turn, or save the food for farming purposes.

so we get three actions? i had assumed some actions took more labor than others. and if labor actions werent spent, they were put all into the first/only action described?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2016, 11:53:32 am »

You have a labor stat of three. Sometimes you guys just do one action that has a set labor cost and do not mention any sort of alternative use for the remaining labor; causing it to be wasted. This is especially noticeable when you build an item that only has a labor cost of 1. Actions such as foraging and scouting do not have a set labor cost, and will happily consume all your labor. (I should specify things with a set labor cost will not be impaired by multi-action. While foraging does have reduced effects with multi-action, its still a better use of labor than doing nothing with it. Unless you really can't afford to lose any more health or something, because its not a 0 risk activity)

Tip: If another player does something and it works, keep in mind what it is that they did.

Edit: I'll also point out that the gathering tool actually CAN work for farming, provided that the farm contains the exact material specified by the gathering tool. The farming tool is a better tool for the purposes of collecting from a farm though, and you guys did actually make one. Of course, only 2 labor can actually be spent on the size 2 farm per turn.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:00:46 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:52 pm »

Oh. I thought that we could only work on one thing.
I use the farming tool that we do actually have to farm as much as is physically possible.
Continue researching masonry.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2016, 03:46:00 pm »

If you want to change your action for the turn, I would prefer it if you delete or edit the original post. Otherwise I might get confused.

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2016, 05:50:56 pm »

Take 1 unnamed yellow plant and use it to make fertilizer for later.
Continue to forage for love berries to increase the supply.
Finish work on the pit trap in E7
Research Better tools. 
(If someone has an idea to help figure out the prerequisite done first, that'd help)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2016, 04:34:44 pm »

Create a Berry Harvesting Tool and then harvest the farm with it.  The bugs are a concern for another turn. Continue research on the shield.

Please take a moment to specify the material you want to use to create the tool, and the exact name of the item you wish for the tool to be for. I decided that the update can wait until you do this.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »

sorry about that. fixed it
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2016, 05:15:21 pm »

*Tip*
The GM will never assume you want to use resources to expand a building unless you specifically state that is what you want to do. Since the labor part of the farmland has already been paid many turns ago, all you need to do to increase it to size 3 is state that you are using 2 love berries to increase its size. I am shocked that you didn't do this already despite the tip from last turn. Does ANYONE read these tips? Don't get me wrong, I DO like yelling at you for failing to read, but even I get annoyed when I have to repeat myself several turns in a row. Hey, lets try something. If you actually read these tips, mention that in your next post. I'm curious now.

If you want to make an item, you should specify what materials you are going to use to make the item, and in the case of Basic Tools, you need to specify the exact item name you want to use to make the tool with.

Turn 12
All non love berry food and one love berry have been consumed.

Asker of Questions successfully retreats to area F7 and finishes the Paddy Field. It requires 2 plants and 2 labor to increase to size 1. Asker then attempts to forage the tile. He finds... Bloody thorns. And takes 1 damage from said bloody thorns.

Easter Sunday works on the Pit Trap. The pit is now size 2, and 3 additional labor is needed to get it to size 3. Research on the Shovel is complete! This tool would have been nice to have several turns ago.

Imic wields the Farming tool and uses it to harvest the Love Berry farm. This yields... 2 love berries. As it turns out, a lack of efficient tools was not the problem you had. The problem was that the farm is only large enough to accommodate 2 labor worth of harvesting per turn. Maybe you should consider using love berries to increase the size of the farm!

The insect swarm is still lurking around the farm, and Imic takes 1 damage!

Finsternis Geist moves to E7 and uses one of the Unnamed Yellow Plants to create a fertilizer, and forages for love berries. She does not find any this time, but she does fine 2 unnamed green berries.

Beatrix Purnima goes to harvest the farm, only to notice that someone else already harvested it! This wasteful activity could have been avoided had she prepared a backup plan or better co-ordinated with her team members.

Small creatures have been sighted at area F7, though they retreated at the mere sight of you.

Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bestiary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2016, 05:21:47 pm »

((yes i do read them, but am an idiot))

Spending 2 Love Berries and 1 Fertilizer to upgrade farm to size 3,
Spending 2 Love Berries and 2 Labor to upgrade farm to size 4,
Spending 1 labor to begin progress on getting to size 5

Someone else will have to harvest. Continue researching shield.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:37:50 pm by S34N1C »

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34