Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [SG] Something Secret  (Read 2963 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Something Secret
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:52 am »

You had a mundane name once, for a mundane body, in what seemed to be a mundane reality. Once. Now you have discarded that name, your body nothing but solar dust, and accepted the amoral truth of the infinite night.

You are Aedis Astra, the tomb of the stars.

Through your telescope, and your charts, and a strange astrolabe you bought on one fateful day, you can see the corpse of That of the Stars buried in the night sky. You decipher his messages nightly, and with every eldritch letter uncovered the truth wears away at the chains locking your mind.

Tonight, That of the Stars of Deep and Gloaming has announced its latest command: grow.

It is up to you to interpret its vague instructions. Do you recruit others to read the stars with you? Do you grow your knowledge of the night sky? Do you amass wealth? Influence?

How do you grow?

----

Spoiler: Cult (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aedis Astra (click to show/hide)

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 04:15:21 am »

((Can we make the face also become incorporeal to move unseen through the mortal realm, or is it fixed to this reality? Do we die if shot there?))

Let us start with a small step: if we're a graduated astronomer, we have a degree. Be it a Bachelor or a Master's degree, we can take a certification and start teaching in high school - those sweet minds are at their best balance between knowledge and pliability. Set up extracurricular activities in astronomy like visits to a planetarium and observatories, separate the keenest ones and take them to night time star-seeing with our own equipment. Let them personally observe corpse of That of the Stars but only hint at the secret, so their own curiosity will do the convincing for us.

Invite them twice more, and only those who are left do we start properly indoctrinating.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 05:02:16 am »

((Can we make the face also become incorporeal to move unseen through the mortal realm, or is it fixed to this reality? Do we die if shot there?))

Let us start with a small step: if we're a graduated astronomer, we have a degree. Be it a Bachelor or a Master's degree, we can take a certification and start teaching in high school - those sweet minds are at their best balance between knowledge and pliability. Set up extracurricular activities in astronomy like visits to a planetarium and observatories, separate the keenest ones and take them to night time star-seeing with our own equipment. Let them personally observe corpse of That of the Stars but only hint at the secret, so their own curiosity will do the convincing for us.

Invite them twice more, and only those who are left do we start properly indoctrinating.

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:08 am »

+1

+1
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »

+1

+1

+1
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »

+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 11:14:32 pm »

You stand before the mirror, marveling at your new body. The dust of a thousand thousand stars swirls in some mad pattern, writhing beneath your clothes. Your face is as you remember it; pale and taut, with eyes sunken like the dead city of R'lyeh. Superficially, they still have pupils, but a closer look would reveal your eyes are but a reflection of the universe.

You touch your face, or attempt to at least. Your gloved fingers pass through as if your visage were air, stirring up astral dust. It reforms swiftly. For a second, you feel hollow.

But only for a second.

-

It took time, but you've landed a job at Miskatonic High as a physics teacher. To conceal your incorporeal form, you always wear a long lab-coat, surgical gloves, and a long wig. You were subject to some ridicule at first, but at least none ran screaming from you.

Your first day introduced you as Mr. Ed Astra, teacher of senior physics with a focus on astronomy. Though you aren't as skilled as a pedagogue as you are as an astronomer yet, you've managed to engage a good portion of your students in your lessons.

As the weeks passed, some students quickly became disinterested as the fresh-start-enthusiasm wore off. However, your instruction and subtle way of revealing It's secrets have gotten a hold on a handful of prospective students.

Once a month, you would take your class to the observatory where you would explain the nature of the cosmos and entice them with its mysteries. Some fooled around and played with the equipment, and were otherwise bored. However, the handful of prospects seem to be truly enticed.

And tonight, on your unofficial trip to go star-gazing, you will reveal That of the Stars to them.

-

"Set it up, right over there," you instruct them. Your eyes never leave the sky, and you can feel it staring back. "Tonight's gonna be a good night, guys."

"Yeah, Mr. A, I know it will," says Jon, arm wrapped around his girlfriend Amy. "Don't you think so?" he asks her, moving in.

She moves in as well. Although the couple are known to have been bullies, you've seen definite improvement since their involvement in your classes. "I know so," she replies.

"Hey, save it for after, guys," you say with a smile. "We've only got a small window to see this."

"See what, Mr. Astra?" asks Randal. A keen and eager student with good grades, if a bit sickly. "A comet?"

"I hope it's a comet," mumbles Sky. She's been a problem student in her classes, save yours. She's excelled in yours so much that her other teachers think she's cheating. You know better.

"Something better," you promise.

You take off your lab-coat, your gloves, and your wig. The four students watch with mouths agape as your body swirls in unknown colors, and your face dissolves slowly into dust. Jon tries to grab you as you drift into the sky, but you assure him this is part of the plan. The stars twinkle, then shine brightly and painfully. The moon disappears and returns, as if blinking.

You reach the zenith of your ascendance and commune with That of the Stars, and he reveals to you much that you didn't know. It has watched the four of the students since their births, and knows what they do under the cover of night. And now, so do you.

You descend and envelop them, and with the silent language of space reveal to them their truths. They weep. They weep in fear. They weep in sadness. They weep because now they understand. You pluck them from the ground and take them far beyond the Earth, beyond the moon, the sun, and the stars. Beyond the dreamscapes of Ib and unknown Kadath. Beyond the Gate, and beyond time.

You show them only a glimpse of That of the Stars of Deep and Gloaming, for only a glimpse could any of you handle.

Only a glimpse is needed.

-

A month passed after that ordeal, and nightly you convene as a cult in the Arkham countryside. Jon, Amy, Randal, and Sky; these four now know of That of the Stars, and now they wish to see more than a glimpse.

That of the Stars has not given any other instructions; perhaps it still wants you to 'grow'. How? Do you continue recruiting more to the cult? Do you acquire better equipment? Do you expand your knowledge through dedicated study?

----

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 11:22:28 pm »

Begin dialogues with each of our new fellows individually; assess their strengths, weaknesses and characters.  We can decide what role they are to play from there.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 11:46:00 pm »

Begin the instruction of our new initiates. Once their training is complete, the best of them shall be sent into the world to ensnare new members. 
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 11:55:48 pm »

We should encourage them to excel in school and get degrees as well, not astronomy, physics chemistry biology history, whatever That of the Stars reveals to them.  My plan would be to set up a research institute, so better equipment also?

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 12:55:56 am »

If Astra can get more and better equipment he should do so; it'll make studying That of the Stars easier.

It looks to me that Jon and Amy are a alpha couple, naturally fit for leadership; sickly keen and eager students as Randal are often seen as nerds, is he one?
Sky... is she actually gifted? Otherwise what's her problem, does she has any actual disabilities or is she just bored and frustrated by lack of challenge? In the latter case, did she become rebellious and hang out with what a teacher would call "bad company"? Talk to her and the school, suggest that she should be tested for both disabilities and giftedness.

The Alpha couple's cliques are probably too vacuous to be of interest, but they should practice the exercise of power over them while improving their own academic results.
If Sky is going out with gangs, we could use them as muscle if needed, aid her in raising on the pecking order; otherwise we could turn her poor reputation into a "strange" one and pair her with the alpha couple as their witch/oracle/advisor... Add vacuous heads, and that looks like a cult "outer circle" ready for the picking.
If Randal is indeed a nerd, he may be a door to those social underdogs with better intellects and a penchant for obsessive behaviours. He probably won't be a very effective leader, but could bait them with social acceptance to bring them under the fold of Jon and Amy.

Anyway, the group should grow their influence among the student body and pick potential inner circle candidates for testing from those who aren't in our classes.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:15:54 am by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »

Begin dialogues with each of our new fellows individually; assess their strengths, weaknesses and characters.  We can decide what role they are to play from there.

Spoiler: Chat with Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chat with Jon and Amy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chat with Randal (click to show/hide)

We should encourage them to excel in school and get degrees as well, not astronomy, physics chemistry biology history, whatever That of the Stars reveals to them.  My plan would be to set up a research institute, so better equipment also?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the group should grow their influence among the student body and pick potential inner circle candidates for testing from those who aren't in our classes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----

Dying of laughter?

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 09:07:09 pm »

Continue on this track

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 09:28:36 pm »

Learn more on the student council president, chat to Ward Armitage and decide whether to bring him into the fold.

Acquire better equipment.
Keep studying That of the Stars, but it'd be a good idea to try to understand the graffiti.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »

Learn more on the student council president, chat to Ward Armitage and decide whether to bring him into the fold.

Acquire better equipment.
Keep studying That of the Stars, but it'd be a good idea to try to understand the graffiti.
+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.
Pages: 1 [2]