Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32485 times)

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (First Half of 1941, Alien Research)
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2016, 07:07:46 am »

I vote for weapons.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2016, 07:18:17 am »

Weapons should be our current pirority if we manage to understand how they work we can build defenses against it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2016, 11:08:31 am »

I was thinking: we have a small cache of alloys, allowing a single national project using them.

Our main problem here is that we lack the technical and/or scientific knowledge to do most things that would be useful against aliens, but alien alloys are the holy grail of material engineering: great resistance to everything alloys, room temperature superconductors,  etc.
This means that if we pick a design with a very simple design but which wasn't used at the time ( or even now) because materials were not suitable, we could achieve a great leap in our tech.

My idea is railguns. The underlying physics is trivial and well established. the design is very simple. The problems are rail wear and energy storage/release. We can solve the first using alien alloy rails and the second with superconducting magnetic energy storage ( basically, a coil of superconductors with tons of current going through it, storing energy in the magnietic field), which is made significantly easier by having room temperature superconductors available.
Power generation would be supplied by the quite inelegant solution of mounting it near a power plant. or a suitably large generation.

If we mount the railgun on a turret ( power generation stays on the ground clearly), we could have a decent chance of shooting down some UFOs, before they destroy or avoid it.

considering that the US navy proposed railgun was going to use 64 MJ and that SMES is extremely efficient, a well sized power plant should allow several projectiles per minute ( on the power side alone. I suspect that the power transmission from plant to SMES is going to limit us). A railgun might have a range of a couple hundred kilometers ( after at least one full turn, or maybe one design and 2 revisions) and accuracy problems may be "solved" by a small timed explosive charge on the projctile turning it into a cloud of fast hot pieces of metal in flight.

So, I believe this could be a good chance to start fighting the air war. advanced weapon, easy engineering suitable to the time thanks to alien alloy use, great performance.  Can't think of reasons why we would not be able to build one with what I have at hand, as long as we can shape the alloys somewhat. We could build only one, sure, but with the range of a good railgun we can protect a sizeable area with it.

With that in mind, I switch my vote to Alien alloys II

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2016, 11:32:33 am »

My understanding was that the required tech was Alien Alloy I: we need to research phase to be able to use alloys.

The requirement was not Alien Alloys I.  The message is there because the required research has not been completed.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2016, 11:45:55 am »

hm. pity.
In the game, for advanced alloy use and production you needed research into alien power source, but I am not sure we can learn much of use right now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2016, 12:35:22 pm »

My understanding was that the required tech was Alien Alloy I: we need to research phase to be able to use alloys.

The requirement was not Alien Alloys I.  The message is there because the required research has not been completed.

Oh, ok. I'll switch to Weapons then.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2016, 04:35:40 pm »

I think the power generator would provide better results due to the fact that we're operating on an army and nation level rather than a global guerrilla warfare level. The power source will allow for vehicles and possibly artillery that are able to begin to compete with the invaders.

I also think that next turn we should try to dive into computers because we'll need that understanding to be able to do deeper things with Alien tech.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »

well, weapons may have a better chance to yield something useful soon. power source seems complex. However, we might discover ways to use the power source to work on the alloys... ( forget using them as engines for at least a few years)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »

power source

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2016, 06:23:42 pm »

Power Source
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2016, 10:59:33 am »

Current Votes:
Weapons-5
Power Source-4

I think weapons will give us something to actually look into. See how they fight, etc.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2016, 11:06:55 am »

Power source

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2016, 11:16:01 am »

Figuring out their powersourses may help us develop aircraft to poke holes in them, power ships, cities, etc. Depending on how it works it may also give us some better explosive compounds. they may also give us computers, we dunno.

Weapons, depending on how theirs work, may give us a host of useful techs, like power manipulation, magnetic containment, plastics, etc. Computers are also a possibility from them. We will almost certainly not be able to copy their guns from it except for possibly extremely shot-ranged (like, under a meter) things. Still, those may be useful for, say, cutting through their metals.

Alloys would give us a hand in armor techs, defeating their armor, and generic materials research

Autopsies would mostly just give ussome help killing them and figuring out weaknesses, but could also help medical tech and possibly a way to communicate.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2016, 11:37:37 am »

alloys would be great, but sadly we can't research them yet.
I agree that weapons and power sources are the best ones, still not sure which one would yield better results.

By the way, what do you think of my railgun idea?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26