Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Seeking replacement GM)  (Read 32427 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Design)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 04:33:16 pm »

yes, the radio is meant to be a revision.  One design and one revision for the second half of 1940.

by the way, RDF was the british name for the radar during the early days, courtesy of wikipedia.

does anyone have any better idea for the revision? a better radio would be nice and opens the way for mounting it on all our future vehicles ( particularly a new interceptor which we will likely have to build), but perhaps there are more useful things now.

maybe we could try modifying our rockets for use on planes? I think we never got to doing it. and it is certainly a needed tech. Butperhaps too ambitious for a revision?

edit: Idea for the future: when we have proper XCOM means, we could base the headquarters of the operation ( plus a couple of interceptors and a troop transporter) on a modified ARAC? I mean, it is terribly impratical and unsafe, but we are the people who built one of those things in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:00:42 pm by andrea »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 04:59:58 pm »

Could we mount light explosive artillery on a plane?

That is all I got for now.

But yeah I guess the radio thing is a good first start until we see how our current forces stand up to the enemy.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 05:03:00 pm »

We dont have any artillery really light enough, and the autocannons we have a rather good as is.

Having the main base aboveground sounds like a good way for ti to eb blown into small bits.

Wait, its already the second half of the year?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 05:12:05 pm »

So quick question. Is this going to be the OOC thread, or the main one?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 05:14:10 pm »

well, the Arstotzka derived fighters already mount a 20mm autocannon, which should be able to use a variety of shells, including explosive. Bigger than that and I am not sure we could mount it on a fast and nimble interceptor.

The strong point of this autocannon actually is AP or to use the words of the description "It has a terrifying ability to punch through armor and emplacements."
Which makes one wonder what kind of people
mount an anti armor/anti emplacement cannon on fighter planes, but now that we are finding more armored enemies, it might be the base for all our future aircraft cannons. ( ok, perhaps our use of autocannons derives from the multi role nature of all our aircrafts, but then again it might also be simple because DAKKA)

@Aseaheru of course it is easy to blow up. I did say it was absolutely impratical and unsafe. Also, it seems the game starts in the second half of 1940.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 05:17:35 pm »

I think the autocannon was included so it could attack armored ground targets without bombs and because we were afraid you were going to build heavily armored aircraft somehow.

So my proposal would be a new type of rocket grenade which could be used by anyone, then distribute them to the entire population.  Bet the aliens will be surprised when every abductee has high explosive weapons on them!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »

honestly, knowing the population of this island I would not be surprised to  learn that most of them already carry explosives, guns, rockets(in the south) or swords(in the north).

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 05:38:57 pm »

Accidentally left out the Shotgun from the prior game.  Going to add that to the OP.

Wait, its already the second half of the year?

Most of this kind of game tends to start at the begining of a new year.  I wanted something different.

So quick question. Is this going to be the OOC thread, or the main one?

No need for split threads for this type of game when people are only playing as one side against an NPC faction.

Seems the Radar has the most amount of support and there are no arguements against its use...

UF-1940/2-R.D.F
This system is based around a radio antenna, which emits a radio signal and acts as a receiver for any backscatter signal from targets hit by the original pulse. From the direction and flight time of bounced radiation, it is possible to obtain distance and direction of the target, allowing detection of ETO at considerable distances, limited only by the power of the system and the horizon. The antenna rotates to be able to cover 360°.  Tests utilizing aircraft and weather balloons with the material from the excavation site attached to it have shown it has detection dome of twenty-three kilometers at a maximum, though it averages around seventeen.  The required setup for the antenna is quite large and the tower is vulnerable to high winds.  In addition, the technology behind the creation is quite complex, increasing its expense.  Usage of radios in the near structure has a tendency to cause interference to readings.
Costs 5 Ore.

Current Expense Level: Very Expensive
New Technology Gained: Radio Detection and Ranging (Complex), Antenna Towers

Begin Revision Phase
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »

No need for split threads for this type of game when people are only playing as one side against an NPC faction.

Ok thank you for clarifying. I was under the assumption that there was a separate thread for people on the sectiod side. But if it's just an NPC faction, that makes a lot more sense
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Forenia vs. Sectoids (Second Half of 1940, Revision)
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 06:00:00 pm »

Okay, what if we mount the UF-1940/2-R.D.F radio antenna on train cars!  We could drive our detection system all around the great nation!

Or maybe combine the Model 3 and an electronic card based version of the tiger whisper to distort then un-distort radio voice transmissions.

Or we could increase the range and penetrating power of the Bumblebee AT/AA 92mm to try and shoot things out of the sky from the ground.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 06:13:10 pm »

How about a radio smaller than two crates each weighing 30lb?
Highly Opinionated Fool

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 06:37:40 pm »

Getting a design out while I have it in my mind...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 06:50:21 pm »

I would assume we can try to scale it down once we have a working encrypted voice radio system and want to install it on some planes.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 07:16:38 pm »

I would rather get a combat-portable radio now thats not encrypted over one that is, but isint available for a year or so. Particularly as our tiger whisper is still an option for important messages that need to be kept secret and our radio operators can change the frequency on their own. And when you take into account that early voice encryption systems most definitely where not man portable(WW2 tech consisted of about twice asmuch gear as the radio,including phonographs), well...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 07:27:08 pm »

I'm not up of Rocket Kamikaze, it's a waste of pilots.
Okay, what if we mount the UF-1940/2-R.D.F radio antenna on train cars!  We could drive our detection system all around the great nation!
+1 to that.
What about setting up a few trains as counter alien strike forces.
We can fit hundreds of troops, some vehicles, even some artillery on to one train.
Once we find the alien scum, a few long range shells should pin the alien scum to the ground while ground forces move in.

Or some mobile AA, a T2 Breaker refitted with twin UF-AC18's.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26