Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Invasion Defensive and Architectural Experimentation Force  (Read 2083 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Dwarven Invasion Defensive and Architectural Experimentation Force
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:37:23 pm »

While I would have liked to kick off another dwarven invasion, it was pointed out to me that the start of the educational year may put a damper on the ability to mount anything of suitable scale.  As such, I'm going to see if we can do this where we can test the feasibility of various defensive ideas and mess about to see what architectural styles we can make as an organized group, before another invasion is launched.

Went on a random server (spigot.minepurist.com) and found a couple locations we could set up the testing grounds:
839, 62, -2208: An underwater temple within spitting distance of a forest biome.  There's an ocean and continent between the spawn and here.
1877, 64, -410: A location where a mine intersects the surface in a mesa biome right next to an ocean that has one part somewhat close to the spawn.

As a point of reference, the server's spawn is based around 300, 90, 350.  Yes, they are both close to spawn so we may see the occasional grief.  But on the other side, this makes a good impetus to create effective defensive measures.  So, any preference or should I go searching further afield?  Or go to another server entirely?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Invasion Defensive and Architectural Experimentation Force
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »

I'd be up for this. Could be fun to start playing minecraft again, though I'm not sure how well I remember beyond the basics.

Of those two, the forest site would probably be more manageable, both because it's farther from spawn and because it's likely got raw resources more readily available. If we need to test against griefing specifically, we can just build other structures closer to spawn or try to destroy the things ourselves.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:24 pm »

I'd be up for this. Could be fun to start playing minecraft again, though I'm not sure how well I remember beyond the basics.

Of those two, the forest site would probably be more manageable, both because it's farther from spawn and because it's likely got raw resources more readily available. If we need to test against griefing specifically, we can just build other structures closer to spawn or try to destroy the things ourselves.

I just took a small stroll over there to set up a small outpost (Nothing we'll miss if people decide on using the other one).  Forest is a bit further than I originally thought, but still within line of sight.  What's closer is a beach to build up on that strangely has a large amount of sand flat out missing from it.  No idea how long ago that was, but we can probably deal with it.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »

Right, I'll get on sometime tomorrow night and check it out.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:24:05 am »

I'm down.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:26:56 pm »

Heading online if there's anyone who is waiting for someone else to be on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 08:05:43 pm »

Just got on, gonna try to at least get to the point.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 09:52:48 pm »

Double post for progress. Work has begun on designs for a Temple of Armok, and we've got a decent (but shallow) mine and food supply set up.

I'll probably be on tomorrow, but I don't know about the rest of the week.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:39 pm »

Oh sweet. I'm down for more invasions of various servers. Guys don't mind if I join up?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 10:09:13 pm »

May wind up seeing this called a bit earlier than expected.  Found a neat spot in Devoted (Civcraft-like that stayed on the 2.0 roots and not the 3.0 madness) at around -3660, 575 we could use.  Maps only 5k in either direction, for those who think this isn't far enough for that type of server...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »

I might be able to join this.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile