Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold's... Skulking Filth, or Connoisseurs of Fine (read Dwarven) Culture?  (Read 1648 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm playing Fortress Mode, and I have a kobold that keeps sneaking about, and runs away any time someone spots her, and why wouldn't she? Dwarves everywhere hate kobolds, and consider them "Skulking Filth", and generally attack on sight. Though, why shouldn't a Dwarf attack a kobold? After all they have pointy ears just like those tree-humpers elves and never return the drunken insults hurled at them in greeting.

No more, though! I say kobolds are merely misunderstood admirers of all things Dwarven. That within their squat pointy eared frames lies the heart of a dwarf! They have no culture of their own, and are not even blessed with speech, but naturally are they driven to seek out dwarven crafts and culture.

I welcome Thlochreebus to my fortress! I have even made her a little space and put a stockpile with crafts so that she can truly enjoy and admire our craftdwarfship, and admire she does. Oh how her eyes light up at the freshly crafted masterful siltstone ring; a Domas Bomrekzuglar original I might add.

Brothers and sisters, embrace the kobolds, and allow them to bask in the greatness that is dwarven culture. Attack them not on sight, but instead bid them in, hand them a finely crafted mug sloshing with fine dwarven ale (for how else can they see dwarven culture as intended if not intoxicated?) and share with them the true wonders dwarven culture (maybe not the magma wonders though, they're kinda clumsy).

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold's... Skulking Filth, or Connoisseurs of Fine (read Dwarven) Culture?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:19:47 am »

I agree, we must accept kobolds in our (dwarven) society... AS A SLAVES! Their woman will hatch eggs for our dwarven bellies, their men will act as baits for wild animals, and they'll also have HONOR to EXPLORE HFS! After all, we (dwarves) superior to all other races. Puny humans, stupid elves, pathetic goblins, and pesky kobold. All of those races will be our slaves (when Toady makes raids available). And those who will not embrace our society will be crushed by Armok's hand!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:46:52 am »

Are kobold eggs edible?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 04:36:53 am »

Are kobold eggs edible?

I think so, though i've never seen their eggs in fortress mode. !!SCIENCE!! required. After all, it's just eggs, right?

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 05:47:56 am »

From MurderMachines (Deathgate II):
NO NO NO I FREAKING REFUSE TO LET MY TURN END WITH THE FORT OVERTHROWN BY KOBOLD RAIDERS
We prepared for demons, elves, and goblins.

And we died to kobolds.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 07:58:40 am »

The only thing misunderstood about kobolds is how well they grease the spear pit for goblin impalement. Kill 'em all.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:21:31 am »

I agree, we must accept kobolds in our (dwarven) society... AS A SLAVES! Their woman will hatch eggs for our dwarven bellies, their men will act as baits for wild animals, and they'll also have HONOR to EXPLORE HFS! After all, we (dwarves) superior to all other races. Puny humans, stupid elves, pathetic goblins, and pesky kobold. All of those races will be our slaves (when Toady makes raids available). And those who will not embrace our society will be crushed by Armok's hand!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:07:08 am »

You never heard of fettuc modding?
[ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:PERSONAL_MATTER]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANTS:REQUIRED]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:00:10 pm »

eggs are not sentients.

i have successully collected and cooked serpentman eggs in prior versions. the issue is that toady fixed the "wild animals claim nestboxes" problem. (the one that caused every wild egglayer to beeline right for your nestboxes) that means the kobolds must be tame.  good luck getting that, as kobolds are always invaders unless you embark on top of thier cave with dfhack.  even then, the ethics tags will prevent animal domestication.  you will have to exploit the "native defeats fortress enemy and becomes friendly" mechanic. (that is how i got tame serpentmen.)

as for my take on the skulking menace, to me they are Fraggles, stealing raddishes anything that isnt nailed down, and thinking nothing of it.  skulking filth. atomsmash out of existence.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:03:14 pm by wierd »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:59:04 pm »

Wait, confirmation: you have to first let them to kill an invading goblin or thief, then they will claim nestboxes on their own? And the child will be...what, exactly?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:09:41 pm »

Kobold egg(s).

Again, you will need dfhack to embark on top of the cave. The kobold will need to become friendly by killing an invader. It can then claim a nestbox after becoming friendly. The items produced are eggs. Eggs are not creatures, they are items. If they hatch, they become little kobolds. But only if they hatch.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 10:33:26 pm »

You can get animal men wildlife too, I guess, but I was more asking about whether the child would be tame, or also friendly, or run towards map edge or what.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 12:18:05 am »

I never allowed the serpentman eggs to hatch. I just made fancy snake person egg omlettes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 04:27:10 pm »

Since they're sapient they would also need to be married and have contact with their mate for the eggs to hatch.

Anyway, kobolds aren't connoisseurs, they just want everything, and want it back at their cave, not where they found it.
If you let them nab enough stuff, they'll send raiding squads to stab you all and take even more stuff!

They cannot be integrated into dwarven society by any normal means, due to the inability to speak. And that they'll still take all your stuff.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.