Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Bards Love Water?  (Read 1599 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Bards Love Water?
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:36:15 pm »

I've noticed an odd thing in my current fort, and I think I've seen it in previous, wonder if anyone else has seen this...

Visitors seem to end up loitering in wet places.

In a previous fort, which was made on the cusp of the "locations" update, I noticed that visiting mercenaries and bards tended to linger in the washing pool that led to the temple zone. It seemed odd, but ok...

Now in my current fort, there's a bard loitering in 6-deep water in what is basically a drainage tunnel. I then look downstairs and there's another loitering in a canal that's associated with a hydro-power plant.

Does this qualify as a bug?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Do Bards Love Water?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:47:35 pm »

Mine got stuck in a full murky pond on the surface. I chalked it up to the tree branches overhead and climbing mechanics.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:56:26 pm »

I've seen them exciting the map through a water tunnel as well.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 03:09:06 am »

Some kind of pathing bug causes critters to path into pools and refuse to leave (when DFHack is used to teleport them out, they promptly return). If you teleport them sufficiently far away (such as into your entrance tunnels) they may continue into the fortress.

In fact, this doesn't even require the depression to be wet. I've had wild creatures on the surface get stuck like this in a slight depression, and cavern critters have also gotten stuck in the same way. I've had a fire breathing titan getting stuck in water 5 tiles from my fortress (around 0.40.09 or so).

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 09:00:31 am »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 04:18:02 am »

I've noticed an odd thing in my current fort, and I think I've seen it in previous, wonder if anyone else has seen this...

Visitors seem to end up loitering in wet places.

In a previous fort, which was made on the cusp of the "locations" update, I noticed that visiting mercenaries and bards tended to linger in the washing pool that led to the temple zone. It seemed odd, but ok...

Now in my current fort, there's a bard loitering in 6-deep water in what is basically a drainage tunnel. I then look downstairs and there's another loitering in a canal that's associated with a hydro-power plant.

Does this qualify as a bug?

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a behavior.  Recently, I opened up a channel to a brook to get a system of wells operating, and half the damn fort just hung out down there, or barged in to the flooding tunnel to grab rocks or whatever, and I was afraid they were all going to drown.  They cleared out after it hit 7 but it was rather worrying behavior.  If the tunnel had been longer it might have been an issue.

Looking at the dwarves later, they mostly had messages of the happy to take a bath sort, so I do think they actually like it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 04:51:03 am »

Note to self: Install both low and high bathes into meeting area.

E: Actually, perhaps just high bath - but in the way into the fortress, so any attacker will meet the guests who don't go socialize. May backfire with werebeasts, though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 06:41:00 am »

The reason dorfs go to pick up boulders in your brook channel is that those were the boulders the stockpiles decided they wanted (there seems to be a preference for the latest stones dug out). The ways to prevent this are:
- Don't breach the wall to the brook until the stones have been hauled away; or
- 'f'orbid all the stones in the tunnel; or
- set up a burrow that excludes the tunnel and suffer cancellation spam; or
- one of the other methods I haven't thought of.

The issue is rather more pressing when it's magma you want the channel to carry...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 07:20:09 am »

For aesthetic purposes alone (although stopping pushed boulders jamming vital-to-be-closee floodgates is a practical reason)  I tend to get my aquaduct/magmaduct tunnels cleared (and smoothed, or re-lined by constructed block walls where I extracted something nice) before whatever breach/link-up event I engineer to flood it.

It's like "signing the work order off", as officially complete. I may set up an actual burrow in the tunnel (if I haven't already, to get it dug quickly) to force the clearing/cleaning/smoothing to happen, and then when it is visually perfect all dwarves (except for whoever is installing the final floodgate and/or breaching the final wall with a fortification1) have no business there and can be shut out by fair means or foul and I don't need to worry about them or even their pets.

1 Or (by stages) installing a zig-zag and flood-gate, breaching the through the open flood-gate to dodge out of the way of the comstricted liquid, then whe the floodgate snaps shut, dismantle the zig-zag to ley the rest evapourate, deal with the aesthetics again and vacate the area for the last time.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54:09 pm »

This is what mirrizin is talking about, from the DFMA:

You should dig out the soil and replace the pool with a lava-heated sauna. Or just a lava-sauna.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 10:00:50 pm »

This is what mirrizin is talking about, from the DFMA:

You should dig out the soil and replace the pool with a lava-heated sauna. Or just a lava-sauna.
It's tempting, but the magma is a looooong way down there.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 11:09:07 pm »

Could build a minecart elevator, built my first one recently. Total of 114 track and 163 dig designations across 101 z-levels, though probably could have done more efficient loading bay tbh - Still, not all that more labour-intensive than digging/smoothing 12x12 room, if you put a temporary snack point in the midway.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:21:54 pm by Fleeting Frames »