Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tavern sucking labour dry!  (Read 1957 times)

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern sucking labour dry!
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:57 am »

In my current 'tower' game I've just built my first tavern 'The Amusing Honey' Inn. All is going well, we've had a few soldiers visit, a goblin crossbowman was here during a Goblin invasion, awkward!, and now we have a bard & a poet visiting. No residents as of yet though.

The only problem is, nearly all of my spare workers are sat in the Tavern listening to songs or poetry & nothings getting done! Is this a usual thing? 

*EDIT*
Mostly hauling jobs aren't being done.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:32:38 am by synyster31 »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern sucking labour dry!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:34:26 am »

Fire the tavern keeper, make it self-serve bring-your-own-mug instead.

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:40:59 am »

Well as luck would have it, the tavern keeper has just been murdered by a depressed tantruming dwarf! How does having no tavern keeper change how long dwarves stay there?

As I write this I have 21 of 82 civilians in the tavern  >:(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:45:17 am by synyster31 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:55:31 am »

When you just open the tavern a lot of dorfs tend to seek it out because they have pent up unsatisfied socializing needs, and the same goes for opening the temple and the library (in that case it's actually the arrival of books that provides the means to satisfy their needs). It calms down after a while, but the duration is partially dependent on how long it took you to open it up, but I guess it can go on for a season or two (some buggers take very long prayer benders when the temple opens up).

I'm not aware of tavern keepers having any effect on how long dorfs stay, only on alcohol poisoning death rate and lethal "non lethal" bar room brawl frequency. They're also needed to satisfy goblin (and vampire) drinking needs, as those don't drink normally. Also note that tavern performers are just as good at poisoning people as tavern keepers, and neither seem to perform any more than idle dorfs.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:00 pm »

wait what? if I keep barrels of blood around, will the tavern keeper serve that to vamps?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:51:53 pm »

wait what? if I keep barrels of blood around, will the tavern keeper serve that to vamps?
lol, no, but that would be sweet.

Vampires, while they won't seek out alcohol on their own, will drink booze if a tavern-keeper puts a mug of it into their hand (has to keep up appearances, after all. No one would believe he was just a tee-toltaler).
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:11:41 pm »

Note that Socialize is pretty much idling anyway in the most ways, just not counting against idler count; dwarves will cancel it to do jobs that actually matter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 12:51:41 am »

Note that Socialize is pretty much idling anyway in the most ways, just not counting against idler count; dwarves will cancel it to do jobs that actually matter.
Apart from fight invaders, follow station orders, lead demonstrations, train, or obey burrow restrictions...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 06:26:07 pm »

How do you assign someone to be tavern keeper? Or does a random dwarf just take it upon him/herself.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 06:29:47 pm »

under 'l'ocations

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 04:00:04 am »

I have yet to have a case of alcohol poisoning.. Does it manifests as message of "Urist/Otherrace has been found dead, dehydrated?" if it does, I've only had one case

On green text, I've noticed they do cancel their socializing, praying to do a task given to them.. Give or take a ingame week. But the purple text seems to take months, sometimes even season. My grand master mace lady consort has been praying to god of murders for a whole season (Maybe a break or two to sleep, eat and drink?)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 05:40:18 am »

Dehydrated means death of thirst, i.e. the opposite. Typically caused by getting stuck in a tree after having fled from birds, but can also be caused by an overseer who locks the dorf in somewhere, as well as being hospitalized with no water source (but that's VERY obvious, because of the fortress halting cancellation spam).

Alcohol poisoning is generally manifested by a dorf dead in the tavern in a pool of his vomit (which is what caused the suffocation death), often mixed with spilled drinks. Susceptible dorfs will typically be served drinks and go unconscious but recover a number of times before the accumulated lung damage does them in, but the "helpful" tavern keeper/performer frequently rushes up to the dorf who just managed to get upright with a new goblet of booze to keep him down. Due to an oddly delayed reporting of death (where dorfs frequently are reported "found dead" only after some apparently blind and/or mute dorf has hauled the corpse to the corpse stockpile) it can sometimes be a bit tricky to see the connection. Also note that death in the tavern can come from booze fueled lethal "non lethal" fist fights.

Purple needs are not interruptible. They're generally caused by a long pent up accumulation of need (such as a number of years without a temple). Satisfying that takes a long time, but when done a repeat is generally kept at bay with shorter green activities.

regulark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:44 am »

I had a bug where visitors who petition to join would never leave my fort even if I decline and remove the tavern/library. So I would just let them wander around until an invasion came and then set up a new 'tavern' outside of the my walls for them to defend.

Ertosi

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [DF_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 10:21:57 am »

I have yet to have a case of alcohol poisoning.. Does it manifests as message of "Urist/Otherrace has been found dead, dehydrated?" if it does, I've only had one case

On green text, I've noticed they do cancel their socializing, praying to do a task given to them.. Give or take a ingame week. But the purple text seems to take months, sometimes even season. My grand master mace lady consort has been praying to god of murders for a whole season (Maybe a break or two to sleep, eat and drink?)

It'll show as "Urist has suffocated to death." My current (2nd) fort was plagued with this,  even after I sacked Barkeeper  McPeerpressure. I kept a hawkeye on Dwarf Therapist and found it was dorfs with Resistances well under 20. As this problem would have corrected all of these Urist McElflivers after generations of natural selection, I consider it a bug so had no trouble upping other low-res dorfs to binge-survivable levels with dfhack. My dorfs are now safe but I'm always finding dead visitors in my tavern.

On another note... new to the community but I love what I've seen. :D. First post!
Bug 0597 [creatures] - flying creatures give birth in midair, leading to tragedy.
Bug 4681: A dwarf with a fell mood grabbed a ghost. It didn't get the required materials, so it grabbed another one.
Bug 6722: Manager climbs a tree instead of going to office when management jobs are assigned.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 11:38:14 am »

Dorfs do not drink themselves to death, nor do visitors drink at all, unless they're served drinks. I suspect the tavern may have sacked the tavern keeper, but kept the performers, and performers are just as good at killing people as tavern keepers are, and tavern keepers are just as useless as performers as performers are (i.e. so visible difference from idlers).