Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgrading from 40.24 to 43.05  (Read 938 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upgrading from 40.24 to 43.05
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:55:14 am »

I apologize if this has been answered already. I couldn't find it with my search.

I'm playing around with upgrading my long running 40.24 fort to 43.05 to look at the new features. Are they all available or are some generally missing? I don't see the jobs to make paper for example even though the materials are available (i.e Make quicklime job does not show up at a magma kiln even though marble is available, won't mill pigtails.)

Thanks in advance!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading from 40.24 to 43.05
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:21 pm »

I checked that thread, and it unfortunately doesn't have the answer I was looking for.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:32 pm »

There are raw changes that is why you do not see the changes from v40 to 42 and up without manually editing you save files' raws.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:56 pm »

The way I understand it you can upgrade all the way from 40.05 without breaking the saves, but as for looking at the new features? I bet many of them would need a new fresh world simply cos the world wasnt created with animals, plants, materials and reactions that use them.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:07:33 pm »

I apologize if this has been answered already. I couldn't find it with my search.

I'm playing around with upgrading my long running 40.24 fort to 43.05 to look at the new features. Are they all available or are some generally missing? I don't see the jobs to make paper for example even though the materials are available (i.e Make quicklime job does not show up at a magma kiln even though marble is available, won't mill pigtails.)

Thanks in advance!
Many of the new features are changes in the raws. Raws are files stores within your save and the world is built from them.

Unfortunately you cannot change these (outside of some minor edits) once the world has been generated. So while you could load up a 40.24 save in 43.05, you will not see most of the new features. You'd need to generate a new world in 43.04 for that.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 01:11:49 pm »

Ok thanks, that makes sense.The only things I'm really missing out on seem to be the library stuff, no books, scrolls or bookcases. Oh, and the new procedural instruments of course but I expected those. Tavern and temple work normally though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »

Ok thanks, that makes sense.The only things I'm really missing out on seem to be the library stuff, no books, scrolls or bookcases. Oh, and the new procedural instruments of course but I expected those. Tavern and temple work normally though.
Indeed. You can designate taverns and temples but as you say you don't have the instruments so they'll never have performers. I don't remember if 40.24 had the song/poetry stuff either.

Also mugs became useble when taverns went in. I don't know if that was a change in the RAW files. If it was, and your mugs/cups aren't usable, then you'll get some extra bad thoughts since they can't ever drink with cups

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 02:04:15 pm »

Mugs and cups are usable which is nice. The old instruments (trumpets and things) get stored in the temple, but so far the performers I've assigned have yet to pick them up and use them. They tell stories though which is neat.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:59 pm »

The old instruments are probably not recognized as instruments by the new logic.
If you're lucky you might get some poems and music (without instruments) generate from scratch, but it's unknown if there's something that has to be present from world gen as a "seed" for this.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 06:33:59 pm »

If you're lucky you might get some poems and music (without instruments) generate from scratch, but it's unknown if there's something that has to be present from world gen as a "seed" for this.
You won't get those. Art forms are created in world gen.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 02:06:58 am »

It is possible to DFhack that in, but I don't know how.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 08:57:12 pm »

It is possible to DFhack that in, but I don't know how.
Unfortunately, DFHack doesn't support 43.05 (or 43.06, yet.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:59:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 11:16:54 am »

You could upgrade to 43.03, dfhack it in, then upgrade again.