Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tavern Fortress  (Read 1083 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern Fortress
« on: August 30, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »

Hello All,
I'm starting up a fortress which I basically want to just be a tavern in the wilderness. I'd like to keep it rather low level, so not have to face off against big sieges, but I'd also like to have a little bit of *fun* which would require keeping a few guards around (think early goblin snatchers and the like).

I wondered if you had any ideas for mods, or just ways to play it to keep it as close in tone as possible.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:39 pm »

How about: 
1. Heavy Forest biome with a brook/stream in one corner. 
2. Everyone is either a Wood Cutter, Axe Dwarf, Carpenter, or Plant Gatherer. 
3. Second profession: Brewer, Hunter, Cook, Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, Bone Crafter, or Forge. 
4. No farming. Just gather plants or trees.
5. Make armor from leather, bone, or traded/looted metals.
6. All above ground, made from wood.
7. Bonus, gem windows.
8. Start with a Sheriff for your Saloon Tavern.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:18:58 pm »

Keep population under 80 to keep most sieges away.
Snatchers and thieves are kind of bugged right now. They have been known to work on occasion, but generally just result in a quick appearance/disappearance of a couple of goblins.

Were-beasts, forgotten beasts and possibly titans should come along (although you may have to lower the titan's wealth trigger a little in advanced world-gen depending on how much mining you'll be doing).

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:36:19 am »

Step it up a little. If you get 10 petitions for mercenaries to stay you've achieved an adventuring party. You must now dig for access to a cavern and have them explore. Be sure to have fun with designing/securing the entrance to your dungeon. You can't dig for resources when searching for the cavern, but you can mine out things in the cavern itself.

Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:07 pm »

All great thoughts, thanks! I think I can limit the max pop. to stop sieges - is there a flag to turn of titans? I like the idea of an adventuring party, but titans would probably be difficult for them to take down.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:47:49 pm »

You can limit titan attacks through the advance world generation parameters. For example, you can set it so titans attack only with 200 dwarves and a ridiculously high created/exported wealth.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:40:31 pm »

And you can set the number of titans to 0...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:10:05 pm »

I'm a fairly newbie player and haven't actually fought a titan before, but if I'd be tempted to let it go and see what happens.  A popular tavern will attract a *lot* of petitions, so if you build 20-30 rooms associated with the tavern, you can fill them with mercenaries (who will only train and drink).  Also keep in mind that the visitor limit defaults to *200*.  Normally guests of the tavern will continue to make merry even when the fortress is under attack, but if a building destroyer starts knocking down the walls, they will help out.  That gives you 2-3 squads of mercenaries, up to 100 visiting soldiers and up to another 100 visiting performers, which I guess is likely to be enough.  You'll have to rebuild afterwards, but I don't think that's unreasonable.

I've been meaning to try a variant of this for a while -- A tavern/temple/library complex modelled on real life trappist monastaries.  I particularly like the idea of having only mercenaries (apart from squad leaders) in your military.  Everybody else is either an administrator, grower, brewer, bee keeper, tavern keeper, etc.  Everybody wears pigtail robes, hoods and rope reed shoes.  You can have a herd of cows and make cheese to serve in the tavern.  Apart from disposing of garbage, your only trade is booze, cheese and religious figurines.  Because weapons and armour will be prohibitively expensive you will need a small metal working facility.  Again, I would tie it to a shrine (I'm imagining something like the Yasukuni shrine in Japan which historically made all of the katanas for military officers).  I would mine only for stone blocks and rely on trade to get metals for smithing.  And as another poster suggested, I think it should be mostly above ground, but should have an extensive system of caves for storing booze and cheese (you can even put those workshops in the caves).  It can also serve as an evacuation centre for the civilians (as in real life!).

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:21:02 am »

I really like the idea - though I am still busy with my old fortress... still not bored of it, but it creeps along (2 FPS) in the background. Occasionally I have unbidden visitors, but I disgress...

I would probably make a tavern below ground, but with windows overlooking a valley or somesuch (maybe even better: the caverns). It is a dwarvish tavern and I cannot imagine it being built above ground. I would also try to make the "real" entrance to it down in the caverns - actually, that sounds nice! I'll try that when I get bored of the current fort.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.