Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140189 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Freud is WATCHING YOU, *eyebrow waggle*
« Reply #1035 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:09 pm »

I linked an article a few pages back that claimed therapy methods are quite effective for getting gender confused children to accept their sex assigned gender. There were follow up studies of a controversial 'conversion' clinic that wound up shut down.
That said, I was flipping through an old book on homosexuality and they claimed the same then.

Edit:
Here it is:
https://thewalrus.ca/growing-up-trans/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:25:21 pm by Edmus »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 06, 2016, 09:06:54 pm »

Electroshock therapy, as opposed to psychological therapy, definitely doesn't work.

That said, I don't disagree with scientifically grounded decisions.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:10:50 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1037 on: December 06, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »

I'm pretty certain it builds up an extreme adverse reaction. I remember having to use this one double door that had bristles on the inner bit, and every time they opened and closed this built up static-charge on the metal poles that were the handles. So every time you reached to open the door, you got shocked
Of course you'd never not use the door, as you are capable of overriding your hesitation
But damn is it annoying when your own body involuntarily hesitates

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:22 am »

Electroshock therapy, as opposed to psychological therapy, definitely doesn't work.

You are saying electroshock therapy doesn't work in this context (hay conversation purposes), and not as a general rule, correct?
Love, scriver~

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 07, 2016, 04:17:32 am »

I linked an article a few pages back that claimed therapy methods are quite effective for getting gender confused children to accept their sex assigned gender. There were follow up studies of a controversial 'conversion' clinic that wound up shut down.
That said, I was flipping through an old book on homosexuality and they claimed the same then.

Edit:
Here it is:
https://thewalrus.ca/growing-up-trans/
Oh yeah, that article was really good, actually. Thanks for that.

It raised some good points on both sides, and didn't stay biased to one argument.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Philosophical Asparagus
« Reply #1040 on: December 07, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »

with rape, penetration happens
Old quote, but I must ask: If someone is wielding a sword on their groin and stabs someone, is that considered rape?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 07, 2016, 02:36:45 pm »

You are saying electroshock therapy doesn't work in this context (hay conversation purposes), and not as a general rule, correct?
Correct.  Although I'm certainly not sure of anywhere else it would work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Philosophical Asparagus
« Reply #1042 on: December 07, 2016, 04:57:09 pm »

Old quote, but I must ask: If someone is wielding a sword on their groin and stabs someone, is that considered rape?
...wielding a sword...

...with their dick...

...why does that sound familiar?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 07, 2016, 04:58:21 pm »

...wielding a sword...

...with their dick...

...why does that sound familiar?

tonnot98 didn't say they were male, obviously it's a strap-on sword.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:22 am »

Notes in BioPsychology. It works in a therapeutic way with people who have...and I forgot my notes here :V...something that can be aided in the brain with low jolts (I forgot and remember only the gist :V) of energy.

Obviously not working with this stupid thing called conversion therapy. Because wow. That's dumb. :^

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 08, 2016, 01:17:30 am »

Notes in BioPsychology. It works in a therapeutic way with people who have...and I forgot my notes here :V...something that can be aided in the brain with low jolts (I forgot and remember only the gist :V) of energy.

"Low energy" - Donald Trump
(probably not it)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 08, 2016, 02:43:21 am »

Yeah, modern electrotherapy is generally not the kind of horrible locked-in-an-electric-chair mad-science-psychology pop culture likes to pretend it is.
Love, scriver~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 08, 2016, 10:06:01 am »

Is there any purple?  :o
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 09, 2016, 02:54:39 am »

Yeah, modern electrotherapy is generally not the kind of horrible locked-in-an-electric-chair mad-science-psychology pop culture likes to pretend it is.
I mean, when used in the proper way for the right disorders it's definitely really good.
However, even in the 70s and 80s conversion therapy camps still used electric shocks combined with images of erotic images to create an aversion reaction. Because some of these people are literal comic book villains, apparently.

Yeah, I figured that could be the case, which is why I wanted the distinguishment from tbf.

I can't see any either.

...I'm beginning to suspect that is the point ;)
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 11, 2016, 12:52:03 am »

I can't see any either.

...I'm beginning to suspect that is the point ;)
Either it's my eyesight, laptop, or the lighting, but I think I see a tiny speck of purple below Pennsylvania? I forgot the name of that state below it. >_<
Source for easier browsing? :D

Also conversion therapy @LGBT folks is dum :v
Could I ask the history of it please? We've never believed it in this country or as far as I and all those I've asked or been with in religious/psych fields have known. Or practiced it. :v
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 91