Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 140107 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - Let's keep this train on its rails
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2016, 02:57:55 pm »

I for one would expect women to on average have a lower pay, because they tend to get pregnant more often then males. Several months with lower pay, and missed promotions and whatnot. I have no idea how big of a difference that would make, but it makes sense to me that there is some kind of difference.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2016, 03:03:36 pm »

I for one would expect women to on average have a lower pay, because they tend to get pregnant more often then males. Several months with lower pay, and missed promotions and whatnot. I have no idea how big of a difference that would make, but it makes sense to me that there is some kind of difference.

That accounts for some of it. However they had checked the pay gap between women who haven't gotten pregnant and men and saw there is still a wage gap.

Originally the idea was that MAYBE women are getting paid less because the company is paying them less BECAUSE they might get pregnant...

Yet what they discovered later on is that men and women act differently in a work setting and that men in the typical workplace environment will seek out wage increases far more then women will.

Which some people concluded that it is because "Men are more aggressive" So thus the solution muuust be that we shouldn't allow any negotiation right?

Which later we also found out that isn't true. Women will in fact seek pay increases and promotions more aggressively then men IF they are told they are able to and actually start to do better than men.

---

In otherwords... everytime people make an assumption about men or women we have to go through an annoying period of assumptions until we actually hunker down and actually do work.

It is why Gender Studies is a outright toxic environment because you get people who just sort of throw their assumptions at the wall and point to a statistic as proof even though statistics are rarely proof. "Ohh this group has a 20% female participation rate! MUST be because of sexism!"... and then later on they find out it is because that job in that town is favored by highschool dropouts and that women tended to get their education more often.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:07:05 pm by Neonivek »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2016, 03:08:29 pm »

Seems awful narrative.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2016, 03:11:14 pm »

The relationship at 30-34 is above average.  But I know for a fact that there is a negative correlation in at least one other cohort.  That is because I swapped the axis on my graph last page.  There is actually a negative correlation between the size of the gender pay gap and weeks of paid leave.  Countries with more pay leave have smaller gender pay gaps.

IDK, i just did my own regression analysis. Data was:
http://www.oecd.org/els/soc/PF2_1_Parental_leave_systems.xls "Total Paid Leave Available To Mothers" (data from 2015)
vs
http://www.oecd.org/els/family/LMF_1_5_Gender_pay_gaps_for_full_time_workers.xlsx (2012 data)

I got a positive relationship from that, for all countries that had both data.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2016, 03:13:09 pm »

Okay. Care to post a scatter plot? Or two columns?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2016, 03:14:36 pm »

This isn't that bad, but keep it on the rails and off the moderation log, guys. Stay civil. (I promise not to go insane with this power :P)

*proceeds to leap into the discussion*

So back on the "testosterone is geek-chem" topic, I never did get a response. Would "not caring about whether penis or no" mean agender, or is it more than just the mental part of sex (male/female, not the act)?

Loving the graphs. Science farm yeah.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2016, 03:16:19 pm »

I don't think that is agender.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2016, 03:17:10 pm »

Then what is agender?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2016, 03:21:57 pm »

Not having gender identity which isn't the same as sex bits.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2016, 03:34:20 pm »

Well, this is the chart I got:

plotted total weeks of paid parental leave available to women vs the wage gap. When factoring in all types of paid leave available to each country, there is a positive correlation. But if you only factor in column 1 from the maternity leave chart, there is a negative correlation. That excludes much of the actual paid leave entitlements however.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:47:10 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2016, 03:39:34 pm »

Naturally, the obligatory xkcd on the subject:

I have an idea for a game. We try to guess purely from eyeballing what the p-value is.  I am guessing 32%.

I will give it this. The homoscedasticity does mean I trust it to be consistent in showing no correlation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:45:11 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »

Im game. I say p-value of 0.45 what are we betting?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »

You define gender as gender identity. Nice tautology, but doesn't actually answer my question.

What is gender? My question was "what is the absence of gender", which is functionally identical.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:59:05 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalěs »
Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2016, 03:58:20 pm »

Of course, the graphs we did are going to have a low amount of meaning. I'd still say the analysis done by the OECD and cited by Pew has more actual relevance to the topic as hand.

Just showing that the claim that more leave = lower wage gap doesn't seem to have much basis.

For that last graph, there is a very weak positive correlation. But that's not the point. When OECD sampled just 30-34 year old women, the correlation was pretty strong. That's relevant because that's just past the age where women in those countries start having kids, so they're more likely to have been affected by recent rules on maternity leave.

Mixing up the data between people likely to have been affected by something and people unlikely to have been affected by something would definitely tend to hide whatever connection there is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:07:14 pm by Reelya »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 91