Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35

Author Topic: Folstag University of Magic (Between Light and Shadow)  (Read 53929 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Folstag University of Magic (Fire Hazard)
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2016, 02:31:02 pm »

Try to find this upward-facing Kahigan, or whatever he called it, and tap the spell vial.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 01, 2016, 10:21:26 pm »

Update 20

"Wait, so even if the supliers seek the common good, couldn't it fall into the hands of unscrupulous individuals anyway?"
"Couldn't you, uh 'dispell the ghost somehow? so you can not leave it open for any maniac with wealth to obtain?'"

"Ah yes, that rumor..."
"A ghost is a force to be reckoned with. Lacking a physical body, they are impossible to kill before they hurt you..."
"They also rarely last more than a hundred years. The Gunstone was donated almost two hundred ago."
"But... you never know."

"Regarding the student's question, yes, it is indeed possible to dispel a ghost. But one must get in close, which against an intangible target that's hardly visible is no laughing matter.

Gunpowder has been a great equalizer of sorts. Arrows move slow enough to block with a Kahigan. But few Magicians can defend against bullets on their person, save for talented earthweavers."

Murble decides to approach Honoka.

"Oh? What are you up to?"

Honoka seems visibly upset.
"It's not working. I can see it, I can see my Kahigan, but it just bounces off!" You notice she has three Kahigan out of her back at once. You recognize the Go, and the wing-like Kahigan must be the Sha, but the third one... it does not look like common depictions of a Me. Rather, it appears sort of like a pitchform supported by a cluster of tentacles, except that one tooth is bent backwards, and the whole thing is on its side.

"I see. And mixing genetics from different plants?"

Test it as we are talking. Locate and grab genetics from some distinctly different grass and add it into intact flower. Also compare difference in souls of flower and grass.

You add some grass DNA and the flower sprouts familiar grass-like blades, along with roots dangling into the air along its lower stem. The grass has a much smaller gene than the flower in terms of length and complexity, and its soul is physically dimmer.

"Indeed, you can mix them. Sometimes you will add duplicate patterns, which don't add anything new, but such patterns can be different. Similar, but different. Those tend to overlap in unique ways. As for souls, all souls can be transplanted. Even human souls... I don't recommend you try that on your own. Not yet."

"We can't separate things out of single elements?  I presume there is a way to un-mix things..."

"That would seem like the case, but Life certainly does not fit into that. It can certainly be distilled, courtesy of the talented researchers in the Life department."

Try to find this upward-facing Kahigan, or whatever he called it, and tap the spell vial.

No vial specified, assuming most relevant: Firaburz

You use your Sha to cast a burst of flame, as you were told would happen. The burst is entirely uncontrolled, and dissipates within a few seconds. It feels warm, but your amulet protected you... it's a strange feeling, to have your body become immune to heat like that.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2016, 10:27:33 pm »

Murble taps her chin with a hum. Then she pulls the grass' genetics out herself and dangles it in front of Honoka.

"Try grabbing this directly? If you can manipulate it once it's already out, we'll have something. If not, we'll have something else."

Pull out grass genetics for Honoka to try to grab.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2016, 02:17:38 am »

"But Life is a combination of other elements, just a tenacious one.  Looking at your chart, at least."
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 02, 2016, 03:05:19 am »

"But Life is a combination of other elements, just a tenacious one.  Looking at your chart, at least."

"Ah, yes, but the chart only shows the relation of life as it stands to the other elements. It requires a combination of those elements. But no magician has succeeded in creating life only from base elements. An additional element is needed, that we call the soul. It does not combine with the other elements, but there is no substitute for it."

Murble taps her chin with a hum. Then she pulls the grass' genetics out herself and dangles it in front of Honoka.

"Try grabbing this directly? If you can manipulate it once it's already out, we'll have something. If not, we'll have something else."

Pull out grass genetics for Honoka to try to grab.

"Grabbing what?" she seems confused.
"I see a green thing. Is that a ghost?"

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 02, 2016, 03:43:32 am »

Let's put everything back in their original places. See if I can chop grass genetics in pieces and add them on different flowers.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 02, 2016, 04:13:52 am »

Murble scratches her head.

"No, no... the green glow should be my Sa Re, but at its tip I've got the plant's genetics. Uh, let me see if I can hand it to you directly..."

Try to deposit the genetics onto her tentacled pitchfork, or use my Go to guide her tentacled pitchfork to the genetics.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 02, 2016, 06:17:19 pm »

As the warmth around her dissipates, Christine smiles slightly.

Progress

Use the Sha to cast Jetsha. If that works, then use it to burn a C into the block of wood.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2016, 06:36:31 pm »

"Could not the soul be an incredibly complex assemblage that is nonetheless emergent?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2016, 10:41:36 pm »

Fill my Sha with fire, then cast fusion with a small portion of earth.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2016, 02:26:49 am »

(Long time no update)

Update 21

"Could not the soul be an incredibly complex assemblage that is nonetheless emergent?"

"And how would you achieve such an assemblage without effort beyond mere elemental combination? But to answer your question, that is false. Those familiar with ghosts, hauntings, and the improper burial of the dead have plenty experience to tell that the soul is aphysical."

He then adds a subtitle to his chart: Elemental combinations for the purpose of spellcasting

Let's put everything back in their original places. See if I can chop grass genetics in pieces and add them on different flowers.

You set everything back. The extra growths on the SuperFlower™ start greying out, but don't quite wither yet. Any plants that have withered do not unwither.

You then take to the task of chopping up the genes while Nabul lectures on plant anatomy. Though they're readable as something along the likes of Noruphathuluraglurgl and whatnot, it's difficult to pick out the boundaries between well-defined sections. However, by comparing different plant types, you can look for sections that are shared, and presume that those are independent blocks that can be separated.

You end up creating a grass covered in flowerpetal-like shavings, a flower that's entirely green, a white-colored but otherwise normal grass, and a plant that's all root, without leaves.

Murble scratches her head.

"No, no... the green glow should be my Sa Re, but at its tip I've got the plant's genetics. Uh, let me see if I can hand it to you directly..."

Try to deposit the genetics onto her tentacled pitchfork, or use my Go to guide her tentacled pitchfork to the genetics.

The soul collides with the foreign Kahigan... and promptly dissociates into its combined pieces. It's as if her Kahigan is toxic to it.

As the warmth around her dissipates, Christine smiles slightly.

Progress

Use the Sha to cast Jetsha. If that works, then use it to burn a C into the block of wood.

You cast Jet with your Sha, but the spell fizzles. As in, you don't feel energy leave you. The instructor said that Jet is used to focus energy located near the staff that is not presently focused.

Fill my Sha with fire, then cast fusion with a small portion of earth.

Yesterday, you were taught that one of the soul's primary components was fire. That is not to say that the soul was made of fire... but that out of all the elements, Earth, Water, and Earth were those which the human soul is most tuned with. Other souls, on the other hand, can be animated through something other than fire, such as Wind or, most rarely, electricity. But Fire is the fundamental animating force that brings human flesh to life.

You pulse energy through your Sha, causing it to glow a bright yellow, aweing some of the other students, including the princess it seems. Or perhaps she was always giving you that death-stare from across the field.

You then cast fusion with the earth. It takes on a metallic sheen, indicating that you've failed. It's an odd, lightweight metal that shines like silver, and is yet brittle.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2016, 03:16:20 am »

Murble blinks a few times.

"Er... your Kahigan destroyed the genetics. I think the Professor needs to come take a look at this. Professor?"

Get the Professor's opinion on her soul destroying Kahigan.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2016, 03:26:21 am »

The professor comes over and seems to be taken aback. She rubs her eyes a few times to make sure she's seeing right.

"More surprises this quarter... that looks like a Serro. Dwarves have it instead of a Me, which lets them see into Earth genetics, but I've never seen one transferred into a gnome. I really can't believe it. Maybe that legend really is true..."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 04, 2016, 03:44:57 am »

"Legend? What legend?

And... 'earth genetics?' Are you saying everything has a soul?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 04, 2016, 03:52:39 am »

"Legend? What legend?

And... 'earth genetics?' Are you saying everything has a soul?"

"...Yeah, everything has a soul. It's one of the defining features of a an element. That's why Life is its own element, even though all we're made of is flesh and blood.

Don't worry though! Living souls are different from Earth souls. Rocks don't think or feel pain. The soul is like a nucleus that stores genetics; it's what gives all the rocks their distinct patterns and appearances."

On the subject of the Legend, she explains: "I'm not sure if you're aware, but Gnomes like Honoka are half human, half dwarf. When two species have a child, that child inherits the type of Kahigan that both parents have, but not the number. Dwarves have a Go, a Sha, and two Serro; Gnomes, then, should theoretically have a Go, a Sha, a Me, and a Serro. While Theory says they should have a Serro, all evidence has since pointed to their lack of one, and so it became the consensus over a long period of time. No gnomish magician has ever used one and documented it; all we have are rumors and stories from rural villages.

The legend itself is just a myth claiming that Gnomes have a Serro that they're not aware of."
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35