Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 72603 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon
« Reply #315 on: November 15, 2016, 07:48:39 am »

Ok, so arcvasti's time is around now, but if you are able to you still have time till the 18th. If you can't play till than just post the save...
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 15, 2016, 09:03:50 pm »

Ok, so arcvasti's time is around now, but if you are able to you still have time till the 18th. If you can't play till than just post the save...

I ought to be able to finish my turn in the next week or so. Dunno if it'll be on exactly on the 18th, but I'll provide regular updates and such.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:29 pm »

I guess we can let you play a bit longer.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2016, 07:35:44 pm »

From the diary of Arcvasti, Immortal King of All Cats:

11th Malachite:

One of the miners in the cavern pool is still alive. She’s drowning, but every so often she manages to surface and get a breath of air before sinking down and drowning again. If she can learn to swim before she dies of starvation, she might just survive.

12th Malachite:

In more miraculous happenings, one of the scholars ventured too deep into the caverns and got assailed by crundles. In response, they proceeded to beat the critter senseless with A Wizard’s Guide to Grammar. Sometimes I wonder if I’m still dead and I’ve reached the afterlife reserved for the mad.

22nd Malachite:

The swimming miner is still alive. Their perseverance deserves a reward. I have some steps carved down to near where she comes up out of the water.

4th Galena:

This could be tricky.

5th Galena:

Dishmab is out surveying the caverns for the advancement of kitty science and is assailed by the beast. Luckily, they escape without serious injury, save being covered in deadly dust. A nearby carpenter is not so lucky and is exploded with a single kick. I mobilize both spear squads to deal with this intruder.

6th Galena:

The forgotten beast spends its time toppling bookcases while reinforcements arrive. Unfortunately, a couple haulers bite the [deadly]dust before the spear squad arrives and quickly kill it. But not before being exposed to its deadly dust

8th Galena:

The dust, whatever it is, acts quickly. The speardwarves and poor Dishmab quickly begin to swell up and become dizzy. The next stage appears to be rot and extreme tiredness. I don’t yet know if its lethal or not, but Speciesunknown was affected too. This could be bad.

14th Galena:

The dust rot, whatever it was, thankfully wasn’t lethal. All three dwarves, after medical attention and bloody surgery, are quite healthy. Mostly. They’re also all blind. I don’t know how this will change Speciesunknown’s combat effectiveness, but I doubt it will improve. Dishmab, by contrast, is still rotting. They seem to be perfectly healthy and not blind at all. Just sleepy and decomposing, peacefully purring.

15th Galena:

Thankfully, Dishmab is awake now. Still not blind. Apparently the forgotten beast dust is less deadly to cats then to humans. How odd. The scholars will have great fun dissecting THAT weird fact. Speciesunknown seems to be able to spar as well as ever, despite their blindness. Still, there’s no way I’m sending their squad in without backup, like I did this time.

30th Galena:

The swimming miner is dead, finally. Still, I’m going to pump out the cavern pool so they can be given a nice burial.

2nd Limestone:

There’s apparently a goblin ambush. One of them got caught in our cage traps. Spooky. I feel no real desire to try to drive them off. We’ve got plenty of cage traps yet and our best warrior is blind and might not be able to drive them off.

5th Limestone:

The goblins brought trolls. Lots of them. Maybe eight of the brutes, all told.

6th Limestone:

Our best chef, who was outside for some reason, is now dead. Beak dogs. Also, scholars keep arriving. And the goblins don’t seem to be bothering them? Maybe they know what Snow does to scholars and are exerting what little mercy they possess?

7th Limestone:

Rimtar, one of the Fortress Guard, charges out to fight the goblins. His armour protects him against the beak dogs’ sharp teeth, but not their potent neck muscles. They break his knee with a shake, then his neck. Rest in pieces.

9th Limestone:

Another soldier, this time a swordsdwarf, charges out to kill the beak dogs. And this time, succeeds. He killed six beak dogs, all in all, most of them in one slash. That said, he is currently passed out in a heap of beak dog corpses with a broken spine. He bled to death quickly from there. Nice work, though.

10th Limestone:

The military gets sent out piecemeal to skirmish. They kill some more enemies, but sustain a few injuries. The goblins still outnumber us, so attacking them outright is foolish.

11th Limestone:

And here come the merchants. Perfect timing.

12th Limestone:

A few more military people are dead, including the captain of the guard. They keep sprinting towards their enemies and then dying when they pass out from over-exertion. Screw this, I’m leading the charge against them myself. We’ll see how they like being attacked by over twenty war dogs!

14th Limestone:

Its done. The goblins are driven away or dead, the battle decided before me and my dogs could join the battle, but we lost more then a few people. We’re going to have to draft untrained civilians to fill the gaps. Also, being blind apparently makes it really hard to fight things. Speciesunknown is now retired, living the cushy life of the baron consort.

16th Limestone:

I get Northwinds to ask for steelmaking supplies and cats at the meeting with the outpost liason. He looks skeptical of the latter, but agrees anyways.

18th Limestone:

We complete the trading. We give them a bunch of old clothes in exchange for some platinum nuggets and steelmaking materials. I also offer them our very best food and a cat. Now, even if my precautions fail to ensure that every cat in Sneaktunels does not die, there will still be a way for me to resurrect.

19th Limestone:

Dishmab is dead. The deadly dust finally got to them. At least, in their last months, they have contributed immensely to cat science. Being able to witness a living cat decomposing is apparently very enlightening biologically. But mostly it is just sad. I’ll make sure they get a decent burial, but they’ll have to wait in line behind all the others who’ve died recently.

25th Limestone:

I’ve reauthorized mining the magnetite clusters, to supply more iron for our new recruits. This time, with precautions in placee to prevent cave-ins

6th Sandstone:

A leatherworker withdraws from society. Spooky.

11th Sandstone:

We’ve finally run out of logs. I decide to unforbid all the heavy logs in the caverns, hopefully this won’t take TOO long to haul properly.

16th Sandstone:

Some more migrants have arrived. More recruits. The influx of dwarves swells the Skinning Blades and the Parched Anvils to ten members each.

20th Sandstone:

This is dumb. Still, poisonous vapours could be nasty. I have the military draw lots to decide who faces this thing. The Big Silvers draw the short straw.

And kill the thing with a single solid mace blow. Good job, I guess?

21st Sandstone:

A baby ghost throws a tantrum and knocks the arm off of an engraver. Which is fair retaliation, seeing as the engravers are SUPPOSED to have memorialized this kid for months now.

22nd Sandstone:

Apparently, one-hitting a watery enemy counts as a fabulous enough achievement to justify naming a weapon. Huh.

24th Sandstone:

The secretive leatherworker has started their project. They have lots and lots of leather and silver, which could be interesting.

1st Timber:

The leatherworker is all done their project. [http://imgur.com/ZK3um1U.png]Its quite nice[/url], and goblins dying is even topical.

9th Timber:

One of our chemists has discovered the construction and use of retorts. Yay science.
Spooky Signature

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 19, 2016, 11:41:10 pm »

Heh. How come miner goes back into water? Climbing?

- Books are heavy :P

- Heh, fish come when you're fishing.

- What would have the backup done? Get covered in dust too?

Poor Dishmab

- 30th Galena? There is no 30th Galena, but---that's long enough time to die of thrist, I suppose.

- Nice pileup. Sounds like you lack armor users.

- Oh hey, goo girl :P

Nooo the water used splash attack.

- Oh neat, a bag. One of the two leatherworking mood results that result in furniture.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 20, 2016, 07:46:13 am »

Oh will, RIP Zast. Did you see how many she killed?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:48:57 am by onciblu »
Ô_ quack

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2016, 09:21:08 am »

Sorry, guys really hard week and I might have disappeared for some time, but I'm back and gonna take care of updates tomorrow.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 25, 2016, 12:46:37 pm »

15th Timber:

When I said I’d drain the caverns to find the drowned miners’ bodies earlier, I was not exaggerating. The cavern water will be pumped into a basin that will drain off into a different cavern when it overflows. This way we keep a large source of water AND can bury our watery dead.

18th Timber:

Our marksdwarves have no ammunition. This is probably my fault, as I prioritized iron armour above all other smithing jobs and let the marksdwarves do shooting practice freely. But no more. Since we have lots and lots of copper, I order vast amounts of copper bolts made.

22nd Timber:

Another weapon naming. At least the Forgotten Beast kill that made the weapon worthy was more impressive then a lump of water.

1st Moonstone:

The cistern is nearly finished. Soon we’ll be able to start pumping.

2nd Moonstone:

We have an absurd animal population, mostly crundles, various forms of large moles and camels. This is fabulous.

7th Moonstone:

Pumping has begun. This could take a while to fully drain, but we’ve already mostly exposed the bodies and some fallen magnetite ore.

27th Moonstone:

The cavern lake isn’t draining. I need to block off the source of the flow of water. But how…

I know. Cave-ins

1st Opal:

There are more miners drowning in the lake. The cave-in strategy failed.

10th Opal:

Maybe more cave-ins will help things?

14th Opal:

I am now a master of the sword. This is pretty great.

15th Opal:

Another cave-in didn’t help, but at least no new miners are dead or dying. Progress!

20th Opal:

I think that most of the drowning dwarves have escaped through the area of lowered water near the pump. Great.

24th Opal:

Another Forgotten Beast. This one looks pretty beat up already.

26th Opal:

But the point is moot, because the Forgotten Beast is in a cavern that we haven’t opened yet. I’d build a nice fortified entrance to it and challenge the Forgotten Beast, but draining the cavern lake is my current priority. Maybe the next overseer can do it.

1st Obsidian:

Using cave-ins to plug water flow worked, this time at least. Between the new pump that got set up and this, the lake should be well on its way to draining rather soon. A few dwarves did get knocked into the lake by cave-in debris, but they landed close to safety and there are no new drowners.

8th Obsidian:

It’s done. The majority of the cavern lake is now blocked off from the general influx of water. A few miners got injured in the last controlled cave-in, but none of them are dead. Full draining of the lake might still take time, but will definitely happen.

19th Obsidian:

Progress on the second cavern entrance is being made, but I don’t think it’ll be finished in time for spring.

25th Obsidian:

The Forgotten Beast in the sealed caverns is fighting some troglodytes. Its deadly dust doesn’t SEEM to do anything worse then induce nausea, but it may have delayed symptoms.

30th Obsidian:

A chicken has been found dead in the dining room unexpectedly. Spooky.

1st Granite:

It seems my time is up. I had the second cavern’s entrance opened up. It still lacks weapon traps, but a quartet of cage traps and a nearby squad should deal with most threats. The latter dealt with the Forgotten Beast fairly handily, getting covered in the thing’s dust in the process. Hopefully nausea is all that stuff causes.

I’ll be giving up my administrative duties, but I am a Swordmaster now, with all the responsibility that entails. Whether with clever[or not so clever] plans or with sharp dwarven iron, I will defend this place.

Here's the save

In general, things are pretty stable. The military will need to time to train up and recover and the new entrance to the second cavern could do with some more traps, but otherwise things are fine. Do note that the squad "The Blind Spears" is incapable of dealing with anything more dangerous then wild animals. Oddly enough, being blind doesn't seem to make blocking or parrying any harder, just landing hits. The only reason they're still a squad is so speciesunknown has weapons and armour to protect them against dangers.
Spooky Signature

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2016, 04:48:26 pm »

Oddly enough, being blind doesn't seem to make blocking or parrying any harder, just landing hits.
Sounds like the force is at work.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2016, 06:32:31 pm »

Oh, and also, Zimzuden is now on fire. I'm going to pretend that this was intentional and not the result of me accidentally unlocking it when I meant to access the artifact list.

Spooky Signature

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 26, 2016, 04:12:32 am »

Onciblu's turn.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 26, 2016, 10:17:41 am »

Onciblu's turn.

I think I am ded, I will check

edit: Yep, i am dead, I think is sanctume's turn now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news the king can come anytime soon. Better get the rock nut oil production going.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:53:48 am by onciblu »
Ô_ quack

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 26, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »

Onciblu's turn.

I think I am ded, I will check

edit: Yep, i am dead, I think is sanctume's turn now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news the king can come anytime soon. Better get the rock nut oil production going.
Oh ok pming sanctume

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 28, 2016, 10:32:36 am »

So soon, are you sure? 

Seven Players: "The Council"
1. Sanctume as "Sanctumea" (alive)
2. Carefulrogue as "Northwinds" (alive)
3. Pikachu17 as To Be dwarfed
4. Snowdwarf as "Snow" (alive)
5. speciesunkn0wn as "speciesunkn0wn"  (alive)
6. Arcvasti as "Arcvasti II"  (alive)
7. Onciblu as "Zast"  (alive)

So it jump from Sanctume to Arcvasti?  Did we miss someone in between?

Then Zast (Onciblu) is newly dead, so it goes back to Sanctume?

I can download tonight and look around, unless you want to take a turn Onciblu?

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 28, 2016, 11:05:16 am »

Other way around.  Arcvasti went last.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31